Pogba's run up | Pogba mocks it on social media

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I don't get the argument that he does it for attention when he's been doing it since he was an unheralded youth during his academy days

A lot of you come across as a miserable lot getting upset and taking offence to just about anything he does
Why was that a yellow card?

goofygoofygoofy

There’s an age old technique to take a penalty kick. Make up your mind, run to the ball and kick. There’s a reason everyone does it. There’s a reason why you would do it if you’ve ever played football. There’s a reason why no one does the Pogba style run-up for penalty. Run-up is part of the execution.
Matt Le Tissier said he changed his mind all the time. It seems silly to do whatever is in your mind regardless of what the GK is doing. You wouldn't try to finish a move in the same way regardless of what the GK is doing so why should it be any different for a penalty kick?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If it unsettles you it just means you’re fragile mentally. Pogba knows that. Mourinho knows that. Mourinho loves it. He had to hold himself back from saying it shows the balls that Pogba has to step up and ridicule people’s anxiety. Now only if Pogba was actually good at putting the ball in the net he would be the best penalty taker ever.
He loves it

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't get the argument that he does it for attention when he's been doing it since he was an unheralded youth during his academy days

A lot of you come across as a miserable lot getting upset and taking offence to just about anything he does
I actually don't mind but I get it. He'll inevitably make us look daft and it's obviously not particularly benefitting him to then hit it where he did. He could do that without the run up.
I do think he's doing it for attention, and he's probably always done something similar for attention. He obviously likes it, and that's not a dig at him, just stating the obvious.

cyberman

He needs to vary it. Jog in and suddenly explode at different times to catch the keeper out. Or jog in, explode and then jog again, he could really take a hand with it.

RedCurry

Matt Le Tissier said he changed his mind all the time. It seems silly to do whatever is in your mind regardless of what the GK is doing. You wouldn't try to finish a move in the same way regardless of what the GK is doing so why should it be any different for a penalty kick?
It’s one thing to change your mind during the run-up if keeper makes an early movement. It’s another thing to wait for the keeper to move before you decide what you are going to do. When you have a true run-up you al least have the momentum behind you and can generate power on the shot.

The slow run-up takes your ability to generate power. If you try to generate too much power without the momentum, you lose accuracy. Now of course there are some exceptional penalty takers like Hazard, Balotelli, Lewandowski who have perfected the technique of waiting till last minute and are successful Id be happy if Pogba goes back to training, perfects that and comes back. Until then, just do the conventional stuff.

RedDevil@84

That one was a bit faster. Now he seems to have slowed down that move drastically.

Toddler

The amount of stick Pogba gets from this is ridiculous. "He doesn't care for the team if he takes penalties like that", okay what? Do people have a book where they separate good and bad penalty taking styles or something? I don't personally give a sh't how silly that looks if he is scores with good percentage. If he is not scoring then he should try something else, like he suggested that he might.

buckooo1978

Good man Pogba

we will not see the run up again unless as part of a joke - think he knows the keeper has worked it out

saivet

Cloud7

Definitely agree with this. I get the feeling for a lot of people on here the only time they’ll ever like Pogba is if he stops smiling, deletes his social media, shaves off his hair and gives interviews calling himself crap and talking about running through walls for the manager.

Ibi Dreams

Ok, I liked his video there. But it's still utterly stupid. I would understand it if it was cool or entertaining in some way, but it's not. It's the opposite of cool. It's so bloody crap. It's like what your fat dad might do for a little joke when you're playing in the park

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
ITT.... idiots.

Penalty takers should be scoring 9 out of 10. Few do. 8 out of 10 is good enough.

If Pogba was spanking them in, nobody would give a shit. Run ups don't matter at all. You can beat a keeper with a swinging leg. It's about placement.

He's a bang average penalty taker. We need a new one. Preferably our goal hungry centre forward would take 100 pens twice a day until he got good. But clearly he's mentally weak.

We have no first choice;

Right back
Centre halves
Left back
Right winger
Left winger
3rd midfielder

So the choice is: DDG, Pogba, Matic.

Pogba is the best of those three. Let him run however he likes.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?

Is it just me or is that not the same run up at all?

GwilDor

He should keep doing it and then after two or three more just fecking sprint up and smash it. Keeper won't be ready expecting the trot.
I think it looks stupid, though i would ofcourse not be bothered if he buried all his attempts. I would not be surprised to see him switch it up in a decicive situation like a final or something similar.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Balotelli's pks are brilliant. I occasionally look up compilations of them on YouTube.
I agree like I said I would take him over anyone currently on penalties even Ronnie.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
God bless him. He'd be a right dick without that sense of humour. Self-awareness is not a quality to be taken for granted in a professional footballer.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Someone needs to tell him his car doors are on backwards.

fellaini's barber

I reckon if he had missed this weekends pen and we somehow drew the game that would have been the end of this fecking run up. Would probably have been worth it to some seeing how wound up it gets them

OldTrevil

Now I would pay very good money to see Pogba do this. And miss.

(In a game we're comfortably winning, where goal difference wouldn't make a difference)
I was with you until the miss part. I would pay crazy amounts to see him moonwalk to it and score with a backheel with the ball hitting the bar and bouncing in ala Zizou. That'd be the stuff of legends :D

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Martial was the first choice for penalty last season, I think he missed one and got every other in but I can't remember how many it was, so he could be a good second choice. I think Pogba is going to adjust anyways, he's realizing the slowpoke run up has outlived whatever usefulness it had in the past (if any).

Why Lukaku is not taking any when he's in such bad need of goals to me tells me a lot about his personality.

Nuel

I think it is great. What's weird is people genuinely think it makes a difference what run up he does...If anything it tests a keepers concentration.
Exactly. Just like the run-up infuriates some fans I imagine it does also the goalkeepers. It's like a test of nerves. Builds a bit of tension. Think of it like playing poker. What he seems to lack though is the precision. He has the skill to put it in the top corner and that's what he should be doing.

Sterling Archer

The run, in concept , isn't entirely crazy - mind games with the keeper, building anticipation with run up and give enough time to create indecision in the keeper, maybe edge him to commiting a bit early to one side.

But now that hypothesis has been tested and is actually an awful technique. The run up seems to throw Pogba himself off more than the keeper. Similar ideas, like the stutter step are much more effective in getting the gk to inch one way early. And the final steps seem (to me) like they don't facilitate a proper strike of the ball nor ease in diversity of the placement .

Basically, forget that it looks silly, more importantly it's actually an awful way to take a penalty. And of course Pogba would continue to use it without changing all the way since his youth days. Seems just about right for his level of stubbornness/arrogance.

gormless

Imagine him doing that run up in a knockout penalty shootout? I'd die from nerves.

I think the only player I've ever been the slightest bit comfortable at seeing them take a pen is Scholesy:

I always thought Scholes got really bad at penalties following his miss in the FA cup final. He has had some subsequent shocking penalties for us

Craig Ward

he should be off penalties as he missed 2.

End of.

He isn't a great penalty taker, run up or not. He jus loves the media hype, and the media lap it up as do we. I've personally not watched the video and have no intention of.

I'll start to take notice of Pogba when he starts to play well for utd on a regular basis, something I'm still waiting for

youmeletsfly

ITT.... idiots.

Penalty takers should be scoring 9 out of 10. Few do. 8 out of 10 is good enough.

If Pogba was spanking them in, nobody would give a shit. Run ups don't matter at all. You can beat a keeper with a swinging leg. It's about placement.

He's a bang average penalty taker. We need a new one. Preferably our goal hungry centre forward would take 100 pens twice a day until he got good. But clearly he's mentally weak.

We have no first choice;

Right back
Centre halves
Left back
Right winger
Left winger
3rd midfielder

So the choice is: DDG, Pogba, Matic.

Pogba is the best of those three. Let him run however he likes.
Not even Ronaldo or Messi score 9 out of 10, not even Giggs did, wtf are you on about?