Pogba's run up | Pogba mocks it on social media

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Never confident that he will score from a penalty when he does that run up.

Pickford obviously knew he was going to do it, so he didn’t commit himself early by diving. He simply waited for Pogba to make the first move and it almost paid off for him.

I would change our penalty taker or get Pogba to try a new technique.

drdoityourself

One could argue because he runs so slow into the kick, the defense can not come quickly into the box and therefor are less likely to get the rebound.
As it turned out yesterday.

But it's infuriating yes, and looks so bad when it fails.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I find murderers more infuriating.

What's it about anyway, is he just trying to do something that he can be known for like a goal celebration? That's how it comes across to me, which sadly ties in to the criticism that he cares too much about marketing himself.

Maybe they'll put it in FIFA if they haven't already.

James Peril

If he does it and scores every time for ten years, I wouldn’t mind. He has now missed two in a row, which in itself is enough for me to take him off duty. Imagine him doing that in the CL-final at 0-1? A bit of flair is always welcome, this is just silly and arrogant. Pogba is Pogba, but envision how silly a player like Milivojevic would look doing this.

Martial for penalties? He knows where the bottom corner is.

LLMU

I would prefer him hitting with his left once in a while since he is two footed. Surely that will give the goalkeeper more to think about. Slow run up doesnt matter.

thegaffa

Supports
Chelsea
The run up would be fine if he hit the penalty hard and in one corner consistently like Kane

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Don't care about the run up. It's not the run up that made him miss. It's that he put it right where a keeper wants it.

He has the technique to put it in the top corner or the side netting. He chose not to.

Sigurdssons was how to take a penalty. Even if you go the right way, you're not getting near that.

Marcelinho87

I find murderers more infuriating.

What's it about anyway, is he just trying to do something that he can be known for like a goal celebration? That's how it comes across to me, which sadly ties in to the criticism that he cares too much about marketing himself.

Maybe they'll put it in FIFA if they haven't already.
Definitely a marketing thing or something he can be known for.

And it is already in FIFA.

Sylar

One could argue because he runs so slow into the kick, the defense can not come quickly into the box and therefor are less likely to get the rebound.
As it turned out yesterday.

But it's infuriating yes, and looks so bad when it fails.
Interesting thought on that. Im not annoyed about the run up moreso, the lax way he kicks it at times. He has the ability to put it in the corner but seems to want to just trick? the keeper

At least he acknowledged he needs to change it up.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I would rather have him than some left footed player taking them.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Up there with Ronaldo's wide legged, I-crapped-my-pants-and-it's-diarrhea-so-if-I-stand-wide-legged-it-can-flow-down-my-trunks-easily-stance before taking a free kick.

As long as he scores it's fine though, but when he doesn't he'll take shite for it. Then he can complain that the media are out to get him and the world can keep on tuuurning.

kps88

Could someone explain to me why it's a bad thing compared to a normal run up? I've seen Jose and Pogba both saying he might change it up now that keepers have figured it out. But, even if the keeper knows how it goes, wouldn't that also be the case if he did a normal run up?

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
It pretty much sums up Pogba, and while it is infuriating and looks stupid and counterproductive, I think he means no harm. Remember him dancing while a fan was bothering our team on a train station?

He's really a bit weird at times and just can't help himself I guess.

Could someone explain to me why it's a bad thing compared to a normal run up?
Given that he's got a great shooting technique yet it's October and he's already missed two penalties doing that stupid run up, I personally would rather see he would just focus on hitting the ball cleanly and putting it in a place where the keeper can never get to, doing a normal run up. There's also a huge psychological element to penalty taking, and somehow I don't see how that weird behaviour does anyhing other than putting more pressure on yourself.

stepic

Could someone explain to me why it's a bad thing compared to a normal run up? I've seen Jose and Pogba both saying he might change it up now that keepers have figured it out. But, even if the keeper knows how it goes, wouldn't that also be the case if he did a normal run up?
You can get more power behind the ball when you strike with a normal run up. This way he’s essentially striking the ball from a standing start. It’s terrible technique all round

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The run up isn't the most infuriating thing, him placing the ball at the perfect hight and position for a goalkeeper to save is worse. He is good enough to pick out a corner and stick the ball.

Slik

People like to make a big deal out of these things.

When the important thing we should be looking out for is if he shoots with pace and picks a good spot. That’s all. The rest is up to the keeper being good at penalties or not and also luck. The run up shouldn’t matter.

SER19

His best penalty this season was against brighton where he ran up normally and smashed it. I cant see that is current run up gives any advantage his stats certainly dont suggest so. Id keep him on pens but ask him to just take them.

SER19

You can get more power behind the ball when you strike with a normal run up. This way he’s essentially striking the ball from a standing start. It’s terrible technique all round
Correct i also think accuracy is harder without a little momentum.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I think the best penalty takers are decisive, that they decide ahead of time where it's going and stick to that.

I don't know if Pogba is doing that despite the run up or if he's waiting for some sort of indication of which way the goalie is going to go before he decides.Waiting on the 'keeper isn't a good idea imo because he won't always move and it can cause last second panic or uncertainty in the takers mind. Even if not intending to wait on the goalie it gives more time for doubts, overthinking or changes of mind to creep in.

I also think that you simply can't hit it as hard - if you're shooting to either side it stands to reason that the goalie has less chance of getting across to it the harder you kick it.

To be fair, Yakubu did a notably slow run up most of his career, albeit not as pronounced as Pogba's and he had a good record with them.

Last edited:

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
He’s a “star player” so he has to have a trademark run-up like how Zidane usually took his with a very short run up or sometimes no run up, or how Ronaldo takes his deep breath and wide stance, Ronaldinho, Recoba, Beckham and many more had trademark run-ups that all seemed pretty organic, but Pogba’s is clearly forced and is mainly for attention seeking purposes because he’s posing w*nker.

SSSSnake

Had to laugh at Jose's comments about it. Referring him to a scared mouse.
Just leather it. No nonsense!

stepic

He’s a “star player” so he has to have a trademark run-up like how Zidane usually took his with a very short run up or sometimes no run up, or how Ronaldo takes his deep breath and wide stance, Ronaldinho, Recoba, Beckham and many more had trademark run-ups that all seemed pretty organic, but Pogba’s is clearly forced and is mainly for attention seeking purposes because he’s posing w*nker.
his PR team need to have a word with him then if this is his attempt at a trade mark. it looks ridiculous. not great branding in the slightest.

klsv

It's not bad. People just like to pogmoan about pogthings from poghair to pogpens. He has scored 8 penalties in his whole career and missed 3, that includes one from yesterday which he scored anyway. The no nonsense penalty takers such as Lukaku has scored 11 and missed 5, Alexis has scored 3 and missed 5. Martial 7/2. Mata 10/4.

Mcking

I love it. A trademark piece of play is what we live for. I hope he keeps doing it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's not bad. People just like to pogmoan about pogthings from poghair to pogpens. He has scored 8 penalties in his whole career and missed 3, that includes one from yesterday which he scored anyway. The no nonsense penalty takers such as Lukaku has scored 11 and missed 5, Alexis has scored 3 and missed 5. Martial 7/2. Mata 10/4.
So he’s the best of a bad bunch. Still an objectively shit conversion rate. The last thing he should be doing is drawing any more attention to his penalties.

stepic

when you compare his stats to other crappy penalty takers, then yeah it doesn't look so bad. how about comparing him to Kane (13 from 15), or Aguero (12 from 14)? neither of which have some stupid stutter tactic.

Mcking

The run up isn't the most infuriating thing, him placing the ball at the perfect hight and position for a goalkeeper to save is worse. He is good enough to pick out a corner and stick the ball.
Exactly. The placement of his pens usually look unconvincing.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I prefer a normal run-up. By striking the ball more or less from a standing start Pogba is needlessly removing the option of hitting with power from his arsenal and relying solely on sending the keeper the wrong way. Unless you're supremely skilled at tricking the keeper and/or picking the very top corner out with every kick, neither of which Pogba has shown, I don't like the idea of hemming yourself in with a slow run-up.

finneh

It's emblematic of him as a player in truth. Instead of keeping it simple and effective, he'll over-complicate it for no good reason other than to stand out. It's the same as his attempted flick that cost us a goal. There is absolutely no benefit to the team even if it comes off. He's doing something more risky for no reason other than self indulgence.

You could understand it from an immature but talented 18 year old... But Pogba is 26 in March.

his PR team need to have a word with him then if this is his attempt at a trade mark. it looks ridiculous. not great branding in the slightest.
They would argue the fact that we're posting about it means it's done its job. My counter argument would be if he hadn't tried his stupid flick and run up we'd be talking about a really positive performance, rather than two stupid moments that could have cost us 2 points.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't mind the slow run up but he then needs to speed up and commit just before he hits it.

Today he was still in walking mode as he struck it, so he got very little power.