Point Differential vs last year

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good thread, hopefully you will keep updating it every week @Suedesi. I prepared one last week just to see how we are doing, the way you have done is lot better.

Raw

Really should have gained more points in the Palace and Southampton games, those were the results we had to improve on from last season. We're still a bit better points wise but one loss in a game we won last season and suddenly we're worse off, it's fine margins at this point.

Would love to see this updated every week. Also just a heads up, you capitalised the ELD in Sheffield for some reason?

GBBQ

In saying that if we continue to be better off by 1 point every 2 games we'll be 19 points better than last season. Still well off winning the league but comfortably 3rd.
Yeah but Crystal palace and Southampton are the games you want to improve on instead of being a point worse off. We under-performed there last year and were even worse this year. So to continue the trend of 1 point per 2 games that would probably mean getting draws against City and Liverpool where we had losses.

Raw

Villa (Huddersfield) away, Brighton away, Burnley home, Everton away, Norwich (Cardiff) home, Spurs home and West Ham away are the games I expect us to improve on. Perhaps getting about 12-15 extra points there.

However there are results like both Leicester wins, Spurs away and some other potential banana slips like Watford, Bournemouth, Burnley and Newcastle that we might fail to take 3 points from. Maybe losing 5-10 points from those.

So by my incredibly accurate and analytically valid deductions, we could gain another 5-10 points over last season. Which would give us 71-76 points and put us in the top 4 of last season.

But yeah, too early to make good predictions about the rest of the season at this point. We'll have a better idea around November or so.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You do realise we would have to replicate that run of 8 or so straight wins to even hope of being a net positive at the end of the season.
We can also avoid that terrible run at the end of season.

Suedesi

Really should have gained more points in the Palace and Southampton games, those were the results we had to improve on from last season. We're still a bit better points wise but one loss in a game we won last season and suddenly we're worse off, it's fine margins at this point.

Would love to see this updated every week. Also just a heads up, you capitalised the ELD in Sheffield for some reason?
Autocorrect!

Good thread, hopefully you will keep updating it every week @Suedesi. I prepared one last week just to see how we are doing, the way you have done is lot better.
Will try mate. If not every week, at least every 2-3 weeks.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Good thread. I wanted to make one in similar lines but these analysis will make sense only if we bring other top 8 teams. The points are relative and 70+ points doesn't assure you top 4. So stating we are better than last year doesn't help when you consider other teams also has increased their tally.

Can we bring other team data as well ?

Interval

Level
We are so plainly going to end with lower points than last season. Let's not even kid ourselves that magically we will gain form.

Amerifan

Thanks for this. Puts things in perspective. Progress should be measurable, and so far so good.

El Zoido

We look much better than last season, if we can remain injury free I can see us hitting some good form where the goals actually go in. The squad is thin though, so it could cause problems when fixtures pile up.

Interval

Level
And I thought I was pessimistic.
It's hard to be, man. We have a much much superior defence than last year. So eventually they will gel and and start keeping clean sheets, I'm sure of that. But I have zero faith in out attack - it lacks individual quality, a cohesive system and depth. Basically its rubbish. So I expect us to draw shit tonnes and end up 8th

TRUERED89

We look much better than last season, if we can remain injury free I can see us hitting some good form where the goals actually go in. The squad is thin though, so it could cause problems when fixtures pile up.
We need to throw all our eggs into the EL basket if we don’t get atleast 2 wins out the next 4 games, becsuse that may well end top 4 there and then!

NJM78

This looks too much like hard work to me!

I’m keeping it simple, just going by games and currently we are 1 point worse off so far.

Suedesi

This looks too much like hard work to me!

I’m keeping it simple, just going by games and currently we are 1 point worse off so far.
We're 2 points better off than the corresponding fixtures last year.

Just calculating where we are after a certain week completely ignores the difficulty of the fixtures.

Shiva87

Good job! Keep at it for the season. It's too small a sample size to make any determinations yet. 10-15 games into the season, this would make a lot of sense.

As long as the team sets out to get better results than last season in each game, we'll be well placed.

Suedesi

***UPDATED for Week 6.

As we lost to West Ham last year, nothing's changed in the point differential from last year. We're still 2 points better off.

Why is the CAF not allowing an embedded image from Imgur?

Raw

West Ham, Southampton and Palace games were big opportunities to gain a much higher differential than last year. Could be at +9 higher if we weren't so shit :lol:

MrSingh2002

Palace
Newcastle
Southampton
Wolves

Teams we've been worse against this year so far. The Newcastle and Southampton points dropped were unacceptable.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just a point worse that corresponding fixtures last year - not all doom and gloom. :eek:
Steady on, Mourinho was getting hammered this time last year. :lol:

Pretty sure you went on a mini decent run aswell, think this is period you drew at Chelsea 2-2 and also won at Juve and last minute at Bournemouth.

Think Bournemouth away will tell a bit more how far up the league you can start to push.