Gaming Pokémon Go (Android, iOS)

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I have seen a few pidgeys at home. Only found water Pokemon around water though. Bigger Pokemon seem to be hiding around.
Cool.

When you click the button on the bottom right that tells you what Pokemon are around, do you just wait for them to show up or do you have to do something?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Cool.

When you click the button on the bottom right that tells you what Pokemon are around, do you just wait for them to show up or do you have to do something?
Normally you have to move.

From what I understand some lower levels just randomly spawn so some will come near you. Others are in set places.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
They show what ones are nearby. The unit of distance is in metres I think. 1 "foot" is 51-100m
3 "feet" (the most shown) is a max of 200m away.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Normally you have to move.

From what I understand some lower levels just randomly spawn so some will come near you. Others are in set places.
They show what ones are nearby. The unit of distance is in metres I think. 1 "foot" is 51-100m
3 "feet" (the most shown) is a max of 200m away.
Cool, thanks chaps!

Castia

This available in the UK yet? I'm unable to find it on the iOS App Store

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I downloaded it last night and caught a Charmander in my house.

Is it at all possible to play this out and about using just wifi? I use BT, so luckily can use any of their hotspot which are quite frequent around the place. If I go for a walk, could I just connect to one of those and see if there are any in the area, or does it need to be connected constantly?
If its unlocked, it could be worth getting a "free three data reward sim" to play with every now and again. (cant phone or text)

http://www.three.co.uk/datareward?id=1206&aidset=1

You pretty much do need data, but it probably is possible to just use wifi if you were very clever. I've lost 5+ pokemon because my data connection failed, so data isnt guaranteed either. (especially three data which is what I use).

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
If its unlocked, it could be worth getting a "free three data reward sim" to play with every now and again. (cant phone or text)

http://www.three.co.uk/datareward?id=1206&aidset=1

You pretty much do need data, but it probably is possible to just use wifi if you were very clever. I've lost 5+ pokemon because my data connection failed, so data isnt guaranteed either. (especially three data which is what I use).
That looks good, thanks for the link, I'll get one of those sim cards :D

rcoobc

rcoobc

LPT to anyone who hasnt started yet.

You can get Pikachu as your starter by walking away repeatedly from Bulbsaur, Charmander and Squirtle.

2m50

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Google maps on IPhones works without having data, are they able to support something which uses what that does? So you don't have to have Internet connection to play.

rcoobc

Google maps on IPhones works without having data, are they able to support something which uses what that does? So you don't have to have Internet connection to play.
Literally everything needs the data... except the maps.

Find a pidgey? It syncs. Throw a pokeball, it syncs. Pokemon breaks out, it syncs. Find a gym, it uses data to download the picture.

I'm actually okay with it, as it seems to be an anti-cheating tactic.

But it does let you move about the map without data

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
As a rule, always try to roam about with a friend or two and refrain from ruffian behaviour.

rcoobc

I cant be dealing with all the casuals knocking the later pokemon. Gold and Silver and Ruby and Sapphire pokemon were also great

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I don't know 90% of the ones from the last couple of gens. I used to know all original 151 and most of the next bunch, but now I haven't got a clue who the majority of them are :lol:

rcoobc

I've got 13 different Pokemon now, is there any point in catching the same ones again?
Yes, you should basically catch every pokemon you see I think.
  • Everytime you catch a duplicate pokemon, you get some "Candies" which are used to power up and evolve the pokemon. For example, Zubat candies are used to evolve Zubats whilst Eevee candies are used to evolve Eevees and so on.

• You also get some stardust I think which does the same thing, except it's not pokemon specific.

• "Transferring" (releasing) a pokemon also gives you some stuff, but I forget what. (It says you get 1 candy, but I didnt seem to get that when I just tried it).

• You can also assign random pokemon to gyms to get you coins.

• Evolving pokemon doesn't cost any stardust, just candies. And everytime you evolve a pokemon, you get 500 xp (I think). So one of the best strategies to get xp is to simply catch a few pidgies and evolve a few of them.

Last edited:

rcoobc

I don't know 90% of the ones from the last couple of gens. I used to know all original 151 and most of the next bunch, but now I haven't got a clue who the majority of them are :lol:
Me either. I can barely remember the gold/silver or ruby/sapphire ones now either really. I bought Pokemon X and Black but haven't played them.

Togepei was a gen ii pokemon too.

RedTiger

Half mast
Yes, you should basically catch every pokemon you see I think.

Everytime you catch a duplicate pokemon, you get some "Candies" which are used to power up and evolve the pokemon. For example, Zubat candies are used to evolve Zubats whilst Eevee candies are used to evolve Eevees and so on.

You also get some stardust I think which does the same thing, except it's not pokemon specific.

"Transferring" (releasing) a pokemon also gives you some stuff, but I forget what.

You can also assign random pokemon to gyms to get you coins.
Thanks bro, you're a star!

RonaldoVII

I'm loving this. Funny when you see people around who are blatantly playing. Was driving home earlier past a gym not long before midnight and there was a lad there with his phone out. It's the sort of place that you wouldn't be standing at for any reason, so he was definitely on the game.

InfiniteBoredom

Is it just me who think this is a terrible idea? Bumped or nearly bumped into several people who stopped dead on the sidewalk, blatantly playing the game.

Granted, I live in a busy metro area. Folks down the suburbs may not have these problems.

rcoobc

Is it just me who think this is a terrible idea? Bumped or nearly bumped into several people who stopped dead on the sidewalk, blatantly playing the game.

Granted, I live in a busy metro area. Folks down the suburbs may not have these problems.
Are people going to be killed? Yes. Is it worth it? Well, I have a cute as hell eevee.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just downloaded it... Will my phone give my a notification if there a pokemon around me even if the app isn't open? Like a vibrate or something? Don't want to have to walk around with my phone on the entire time, would kill my data

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I downloaded it. Caught a squirtle in my hallway and then a zubat on my way to buy some beers from the shop. Since then the servers have been down though so I'm not entirely sure how it all works. First impressions are that it won't have much longevity but is ripe for some dank ass memes.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Caught a ratatatata right outside my car as I was leaving my footy game. Then just got a venonat sitting on my couch... Says there is a big thing rhino like thing close to me (3 feet things) but considering its a bit before midnight I probably shouldn't go outside and walk around for this. Might just use an incense and hope it comes to me

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Hi guys, i live in malaysia and using Apple, is there anyway i can jump into the game? I cant find it in appstore.. How long must i wait

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
You live in Japan ffs, how do you not know that it was huge in the 90s when we were all kids?
I teach kids and some have Pokemon pencil cases. None of the adults I teach have them.
I didn't move to Japan until 2005.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I teach kids and some have Pokemon pencil cases. None of the adults I teach have them.
I didn't move to Japan until 2005.
An adult wouldn't have a Pokemon pencil case nah but the games are still hugely popular with all ages.

I'll be in Japan in October :D