Gaming Pokémon Strumfest

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The problem with the footage being shared is all about glitches, I've seen some of the stream and it looks really good, the battles are fluid, the QoL changes for competitive are really good, the new designs are solid, it's being blown out of proportion because of cut Pokemon
Plus lack of GTS, pop-in, battle backgrounds compared to LGPE, Bernard's Watch effect when going up and down ladders, heavy animation re-use from USUM/SM, other cut features and having to pay 20 more for the privilege. Pretty much all gaming communities have a potential toxic bunch, and some of the abuse the devs has got is too far, but there are definitely valid concerns and removing the GTS without saying anything is pretty bad.

The problem is, GameFreak are developing the games on pretty much the same schedule as when they did handheld games. They need more time.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Plus lack of GTS, pop-in, battle backgrounds compared to LGPE, Bernard's Watch effect when going up and down ladders, heavy animation re-use from USUM/SM, other cut features and having to pay 20 more for the privilege. Pretty much all gaming communities have a potential toxic bunch, and some of the abuse the devs has got is too far, but there are definitely valid concerns and removing the GTS without saying anything is pretty bad.

The problem is, GameFreak are developing the games on pretty much the same schedule as when they did handheld games. They need more time.
The problem with the schedule is it's tied to the anime and other merch, they aren't allowed to take their time by the TPC, end of the day I'm expecting the games to be really fun, let's see what reviewers say tomorrow, if it's really buggy we'll find out tomorrow?

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Arlo is a shit tuber, I wouldn't take him seriously if I were you, anyway the reviews are out tomorrow so I'm waiting for those before making a final decision.
Alright, I wouldn't know. I've watched precisely one of his videos and he made good points and showed his sources.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Alright, I wouldn't know. I've watched precisely one of his videos and he made good points and showed his sources.
Bro he is the worst really, all the Poketubers are very stoked on the game, serebii is positive too, the previews are glowing with praise, the reviews tomorrow are the final decider, I wouldn't take the words of fans with preformed bias at this point.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Plus there are indies made up of just a couple of people sometimes (and obviously have a far, far lower budget) than Game Freak who put out much better looking games on their first game ever.

Damien

Staff
And Pokemon has always been one game series that tries to get more money out of consumers with little return (extra game with different exclusives, $50 Mew, third game in a generation with hardly any changes etc) and hasn't got anywhere near the abuse/criticism for it that other games have. I think the leaks/datamine seemingly showing that there hasn't been anywhere near the improvements they were dreaming of have been a step too far for many fans. Worth remembering, also, that the game has a heavy presence on 4chan so a lot of the toxicity will originate from there.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
But surely they should invest in a bigger team then? Pokémon earns a lot of money.
But the franchise makes most of it's money from merch and anime and stuff, Nintendo owns 3rd of the ip and are the publishers, at the end of the day game freak get the least amount of money from the franchise, it's just not as easy as the fans are making out to be.

Maagge

Bro he is the worst really, all the Poketubers are very stoked on the game, serebii is positive too, the previews are glowing with praise, the reviews tomorrow are the final decider, I wouldn't take the words of fans with preformed bias at this point.
Alright, which of his points did you disagree with?

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
By the way the first leaker was a reviewer and he loved the game, there's probably a patch for all the glitches on release date that the reviewer got.

Maagge

Bro I watched it a few months ago, I'm not going to waste another 30 mins of my life on this. :lol:
So you disagreed with all of it?
In spite of one of his main points being this one:
The problem with the schedule is it's tied to the anime and other merch, they aren't allowed to take their time by the TPC, end of the day I'm expecting the games to be really fun, let's see what reviewers say tomorrow, if it's really buggy we'll find out tomorrow?
I think he's spot on in saying that The Pokémon Company simply isn't bothered about making the best possible game.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
So you disagreed with all of it?
In spite of one of his main points being this one:

I think he's spot on in saying that The Pokémon Company simply isn't bothered about making the best possible game.
Of course they aren't, but game freak usually delivers despite of them, but the toxicity started 5 months ago after the dex cut announcement so there's a lot of preformed bias here.

If you look at it objectively with the move to HD porting 1000+ Pokemon to all their next games is just unfeasible, I believe they made the correct choice, I do think they cut some corners this game because they wanted to include all pokemon but midway through development they found that they are so behind schedule that they need to focus on other things, and for their first HD effort it really looks fine, fans expecting them to slave just so they can have more Pokemon are crazy.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
And Pokemon has always been one game series that tries to get more money out of consumers with little return (extra game with different exclusives, $50 Mew, third game in a generation with hardly any changes etc) and hasn't got anywhere near the abuse/criticism for it that other games have. I think the leaks/datamine seemingly showing that there hasn't been anywhere near the improvements they were dreaming of have been a step too far for many fans. Worth remembering, also, that the game has a heavy presence on 4chan so a lot of the toxicity will originate from there.
Doesn't every company try to get as much money for their products as possible though? Yes they have some scummy practices, so does Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo.

Maagge

Of course they aren't, but game freak usually delivers despite of them, but the toxicity started 5 months ago after the dex cut announcement so there's a lot of preformed bias here.

If you look at it objectively with the move to HD porting 1000+ Pokemon to all their next games is just unfeasible, I believe they made the correct choice, I do think they cut some corners this game because they wanted to include all pokemon but midway through development they found that they are so behind schedule that they need to focus on other things, and for their first HD effort it really looks fine, fans expecting them to slave just so they can have more Pokemon are crazy.
But they apparently did their hi-res models years ago?
And if that wasn't the case, why on Earth are they reusing models and animations from 3DS games when they told everyone they would remake them?

I just don't get it.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
But they apparently did their hi-res models years ago?
And if that wasn't the case, why on Earth are they reusing models and animations from 3DS games when they told everyone they would remake them?

I just don't get it.
Those models didn't work out for them because they were expecting a move to another handheld device, not to move 2 gens beyond what they were working on.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
For the record, I think reviews will be fine, in the 7-8/10 range. It's Pokémon after all.
If there really are a lot of bugs and glitches the reviews will suffer, actually anything below 80 on Metacritic would be bad for Pokemon.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Solid scores, happy with that, might not be the best Pokemon game ever but it's good for GF first HD attempt.

Sara125

I know I said I’m not a big fan of the newer generations but it’s looking like I might just get me a switch and sword/shield :drool:

Maagge

I'm seeing rumours of the game (or maybe just the eShop version of it?) deleting save game data for other games on the Switch. So if you haven't got backups you might wanna monitor that situation before you start the game.

EDIT: This might have to do with homebrew stuff and different types of SD cards, but yeah have a look to check if you might be affected. There's threads on r/NintendoSwitch and r/pokemon.

Last edited:

Damien

Staff
I'm seeing rumours of the game (or maybe just the eShop version of it?) deleting save game data for other games on the Switch. So if you haven't got backups you might wanna monitor that situation before you start the game.

EDIT: This might have to do with homebrew stuff and different types of SD cards, but yeah have a look to check if you might be affected. There's threads on r/NintendoSwitch and r/pokemon.
Issue with the Switch and exFAT cards, so best to see what format it is in. Best to turn off autosave to be safe as the clip I saw, the game had autosave.

Maagge

Issue with the Switch and exFAT cards, so best to see what format it is in. Best to turn off autosave to be safe as the clip I saw, the game had autosave.
Yup, that's also where I'm at now.

Damien

Staff
Overall the game doesn't look that bad on streams. The Wild Area with online enabled lags to hell though. Raids could have been made more challenging but maybe they're easy due to the person I was watching being low levelled and the raids in the other part of the Wild Area might be tougher.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ive played 30 minutes and so far it is the exact same game as the first edition on the game boy. I like that.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Ive played 30 minutes and so far it is the exact same game as the first edition on the game boy. I like that.
I found the start a bit slow, but after that it's golden.

They seem to chuck a lot of pokemon at you very quickly too, if you explore the wild area, though I've been focusing on new pokemon.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think a nice sign of them making the games too easy is your rival now getting the type that's weak to yours instead of strong to yours.