Gaming Pokémon Strumfest

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
6 million sold in the first week. 2m in Japan alone.
Do we know how this compares to previous entries? Obviously it's the first home console, 3D, mainline Pokémon game etc., so that should boost sales, but it's simultaneously more expensive than the handheld versions, so it'd be interesting to see how it compares.

Minkaro

Which one, I've seen stuff like Gengar and Steelix roaming the wild area, and I believe all are catchable in Max Raids, at least.
Boldore's evolution, I think it's Gigalith, or something?

It's like £20 for a year and you get access to great snes and nes games. I'm not a fan of subscriptions at all, but it is good value.
Honestly thought it was going to be more than that. £17.99 a month (probably should have looked it up first, now I look foolish). That's £1.50 or thereabouts a month. Should be able to survive that.

You can take part in raids with the AI joining you.
I've done it a couple of times, on low level raids. I'm not sure I've much faith in the AI when it comes to the harder raids.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Honestly thought it was going to be more than that. £17.99 a month (probably should have looked it up first, now I look foolish). That's £1.50 or thereabouts a month. Should be able to survive that.

I've done it a couple of times, on low level raids. I'm not sure I've much faith in the AI when it comes to the harder raids.
I've cleared it on max raids with all AI. You need some luck that the AI doesn't die 4 times before you knock out the opposing Pokemon though.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Definitely seen one of them somewhere.
That's what I thought it was, give or take.

Bojan11

Do we know how this compares to previous entries? Obviously it's the first home console, 3D, mainline Pokémon game etc., so that should boost sales, but it's simultaneously more expensive than the handheld versions, so it'd be interesting to see how it compares.
Will have a look later.

As for Switch online, it’s pretty cheap considering you can also buy a sub with a game.

I bought family sub which is around £25 with MK8 digital from ShopTo today for £50. MK8 in most places is still £40 and I don’t expect some significant reductions in the Black Friday sale. I was hoping for some as I’m selling my physical collection to go digital.

elmo

It sold more in the first week than any of the 3DS pokemon titles and it's also the fastest selling Nintendo Switch title for now.

elmo

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ield-becomes-fastest-selling-switch-game-ever

Nah didn’t outsell Sun and Moon in its first week. They sold 7.2m.

Still impressive numbers for Shield/Sword.
If you click on the page that's supposed to tell you about Sun and Moon, it doesn't say anything about 7.2m though.

Would be interesting to see the numbers compared to the total numbers of console owners, considering the Switch is more expensive than the #DS and the DS.

Last edited:

elmo

Game Freak honestly needs to fire whoever's doing their online system. What's the fecking point of being able to see other players in the wild area when it's literally impossible to interact with them?

GTS is way better than the trading system they're using currently too.

elmo

This genius online just decided to earthquake the rest of the raid team and wiped us all off.

Even AI isn't as bad as some tools online.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Game Freak honestly needs to fire whoever's doing their online system. What's the fecking point of being able to see other players in the wild area when it's literally impossible to interact with them?

GTS is way better than the trading system they're using currently too.
Is there a reason that the online part of this (trading, battling, basic interacting) is so god-awful? Will it get any better or is this it?
Game Freak aren't known for post-launch support. My guess is they're going to keep GTS locked behind Pokemon Home (another subscription service).

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Trading is awful, done a surprise trade of a L47 Weezing and got a L8 Wingull
To be fair, wonder trade has always been that way, you either chuck a box of junk and hope for 2-3 good mons back, or do the lords work and send out boxes of rare stuff you've been breeding for iv's and the like.

Also, I don't realise, but the gift pikachu for having let's go is a perfect iv one, so a handy, early way to spread good iv's about.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
To be fair, wonder trade has always been that way, you either chuck a box of junk and hope for 2-3 good mons back, or do the lords work and send out boxes of rare stuff you've been breeding for iv's and the like.
Yeah, at the moment in Ultra Sun I'm breeding for a Shiny Magikarp and Gyarados (only started with them due to the hatch time). Now got 10 spare 6 IV Magikarp (I think 6 of them have the hidden ability) and 200+ 5 IV Magikarp to wondertrade, though they've mostly got the hidden ability so aren't the worst things in the world. I've got varying pokemon in return but all have rubbish IVs. Not checked them for hidden abilities yet. Getting wondertraded Pokemon with hidden abilities can be a time-saver.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Yeah, at the moment in Ultra Sun I'm breeding for a Shiny Magikarp and Gyarados (only started with them due to the hatch time). Now got 10 spare 6 IV Magikarp (I think 6 of them have the hidden ability) and 200+ 5 IV Magikarp to wondertrade, though they've mostly got the hidden ability so aren't the worst things in the world. I've got varying pokemon in return but all have rubbish IVs. Not checked them for hidden abilities yet. Getting wondertraded Pokemon with hidden abilities can be a time-saver.
Yup, the hidden abilities is the best part since you can IV train yourself, I got a protean Froakie on wondertrade once. :drool:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Is there a reason that the online part of this (trading, battling, basic interacting) is so god-awful? Will it get any better or is this it?
You need to add a lot of people for it to work well, I've done over 250 raids using a discord as an outlet.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Got this and the switch for my travels. Makes a few hours on a plane fly by!

Surprised about the early criticism. Maybe people have just played too much of it, and will never be satisfied? It feels like a big jump up from the last game I played, while still having the necessary familiarity to work as a pokemon game. They brought to life some of the things I liked about the series as a kid, that just wasn't possible with the gameboy - vast landscapes, towering cities, fully formed pokemon all over the show.

I do find it a bit weird how easy it is though. I know the "dumbing down games" is one of the cafs favourite cyclical discussions, but it does very much feel that way here. It changes the focus from somewhat grueling battles and painful training, instead emphasising the collecting aspect of it and creating more of a world to explore. I like it but I find it a bit curious that they felt the need to make it so much less difficult. In any case it does make someone like me, who has no interest in IVs and all that jazz, more likely to try and collect everything.

Wal2Fra

Picking up shield tonight.

What's the deal with getting all starters? Can they all be found in game or does it require trading with someone and re-starting a number of times?

Havak

Pokemon master
Picking up shield tonight.

What's the deal with getting all starters? Can they all be found in game or does it require trading with someone and re-starting a number of times?
For now, you would have to trade with other players or start a new game to send them to another player and trade back to you. I wouldn't worry about it right away though, I or someone else on here could easily send you one of each I'd imagine. I expect that the new Max Raid feature will be used in the future for a lot of things like this though. Eg. Starters, Legendary Pokémon will be timed events where you can team up with others to battle them and catch them. It makes more sense than just giving away the Pokémon like they used to over events at stores or online.

How's everyone finding the games then? I think that despite the shortcomings (of which there are many, I won't deny) they are still some of my favourite entries in the series and I'm really enjoying them. I'd basically finished the PokéDex by Monday last week though and have started breeding 'competitive' Pokémon. If anyone is interested in trading some, let me know! I'll grab my Switch Friend Code and post it once I get back from work this afternoon.

elmo

Just found out that you can save and reload max raids if the damn gigantamax Pokemon breaks lose.

Just gotta switch off autosave and you're good to get another go at it.

Wal2Fra

For now, you would have to trade with other players or start a new game to send them to another player and trade back to you. I wouldn't worry about it right away though, I or someone else on here could easily send you one of each I'd imagine. I expect that the new Max Raid feature will be used in the future for a lot of things like this though. Eg. Starters, Legendary Pokémon will be timed events where you can team up with others to battle them and catch them. It makes more sense than just giving away the Pokémon like they used to over events at stores or online.

How's everyone finding the games then? I think that despite the shortcomings (of which there are many, I won't deny) they are still some of my favourite entries in the series and I'm really enjoying them. I'd basically finished the PokéDex by Monday last week though and have started breeding 'competitive' Pokémon. If anyone is interested in trading some, let me know! I'll grab my Switch Friend Code and post it once I get back from work this afternoon.
Ahh that would be sweet. Picked up Nintendo online so would love to make the most of it with the trade options and complete my 1st pokedex since Saphire.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Just found out that you can save and reload max raids if the damn gigantamax Pokemon breaks lose.

Just gotta switch off autosave and you're good to get another go at it.
I read on Reddit that it might help catching a normal Pokémon of whatever type and use repeat balls from there.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Had a bastard of a time with a 5* Frosmoth raid, prick would set up hail with Max Hailstorm, then one shot all three AI with a perfect accuracy Blizzard, and finish up every round with Quiver Dance.

Still, eventually got it, and a bit of running around breeding while watching the NFL and I have a 6IV(was only shooting for 5, but it landed first) Snom with its amazing hidden ability Ice Scales(half damage from specials).

Wal2Fra

So got the y-comm (which is actually a pretty cool tool. I like the suprise trade feature)

So does anyone fancy helping if I do the starter restart or better yet, if anyone has a couple of the starters that they have bred and don't mind popping them my way, would appreciate it. I started with Scorbunny.

My friend code is: SW-6909-3661-0886

Minkaro

I honestly loved Shield. Just finished the postgame stuff, and I'd have it just under X as one of my favourites.

Heardy

Hey guys - my nephew is suddenly HUGELY into Pokemon.

His current favourite is Gengar, and I am trying to get my hands on a Gengar GX pokemon card as part of his christmas presents. I know some of you have an encyclopedic knowledge so thought i'd ask - all i can see on Ebay are Tag team style Gengar / Mimikyu cards.

Any help would be appreciated, just trying to do a nice thing for my nephew to slip into a packet of pokemon cards and reseal it.

Thanks

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Hey guys - my nephew is suddenly HUGELY into Pokemon.

His current favourite is Gengar, and I am trying to get my hands on a Gengar GX pokemon card as part of his christmas presents. I know some of you have an encyclopedic knowledge so thought i'd ask - all i can see on Ebay are Tag team style Gengar / Mimikyu cards.

Any help would be appreciated, just trying to do a nice thing for my nephew to slip into a packet of pokemon cards and reseal it.

Thanks
I wonder if there are many Gengar GXs out there. Remember that GXs were EXs up until recently so maybe try searching for Gengar EXs and see if anything catches your eye.

Heardy

I wonder if there are many Gengar GXs out there. Remember that GXs were EXs up until recently so maybe try searching for Gengar EXs and see if anything catches your eye.
OK - been years since I collected the cards. I was just with him at the weekend and he was showing me his shiny GX / full art type cards! Didn’t realise GX replaced old EX cards so appreciate the info