Gaming Pokémon Strumfest

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
So i'm pretty new to Pokemon. Just finished Pokemon shield. It is alright but too easy. A shame there isn't a difficulty setting. Anyway anyone who's kind of fed up with Pokemon who wanna trade their Zacian for my Zamazenta?

Also the game could use a NG+

Last edited:

Havak

Pokemon master
So i'm pretty new to Pokemon. Just finished Pokemon shield. It is alright but too easy. A shame there isn't a difficulty setting. Anyway anyone who's kind of fed up with Pokemon who wanna trade their Zacian for my Zamazenta?

Also the game could use a NG+
Not got the spare legendary to trade, but I agree with the other points.

Pokémon would really benefit from providing a 'Beginner' & 'Veteran' mode right at the beginning. I believe it was back in Generation 5 on the DS that Pokémon Black2/White2 actually did offer a more difficult story mode if you restarted, but it was quite an awkward way of doing it. Basically, it was something like you had to have beaten the Elite 4 in Black2 only to be able to transfer a key to unlock Challenge Mode in a different copy of Black2/White2. So, you either needed to buy both, finish Black2 and set up Challenge Mode on your White2 copy, or have a friend who had already finished Black2 and have them send the key to you so you could do it from the beginning.

The level of every Pokémon in the game was increased by 1-5, the enemy AI was much more advanced (they will almost always pick the best attack for the situation and you can't simply switch every time you know out the opponent's Pokémon) while the Gym Leader Pokémon would also have held items which gives them a better chance against you.

I'm surprised they never revisited this, but if you look back at most Pokémon games, Game Freak often decides to leave out things from previous adventures even if on the face of it they were very well received. They must have some data and know that the majority of people who purchase the game will just not do these things, so they decide to skip over them and try something different.

I remember reading an article that on average, the people who kick up the fuss online, the hardcore players, the players who are doing what we're doing now and actually going out of our way to post online about our thoughts on the game is around 5% of the people that actually bought it. So, we are in a distinct minority and the likelihood of us getting these additions are small. Still, it won't stop me posting about it :lol: there are many things from Generations 3 & 4 that I wish would return and haven't since which is hugely disappointing, but I'll keep buying them...

Also, as a side note if you want slightly more of a challenge in future Pokémon adventures, try changing the battle style from shift to set. This means that you actually need to use your 'turn' so to speak to switch. It won't say "The opponent is about to bring in [Water Pokémon], do you want to switch?" They will just send the Pokémon out, so you can't just set yourself up in the advantageous position of bringing in your Electric Pokémon. You'd have to switch on the next turn and likely take damage first. The other thing is to look up the fan-creation of a Nuzlocke Mode, I've never done one myself but the basic rules from memory are: You can only catch the first Pokémon you find in each area. You can only visit each Pokémon Center once. If a Pokémon faints you have lost it for the remainder of the game.

Pretty cool idea.

Gehrman

Is it possible to start a new save with all the Pokemon you've caught by transfering them to pokemon home and then back again or something like that? It kind sucks that late in the game you've got this large collection of Pokemon but nothing to do. That's why I wish their was a new game plus.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Is it possible to start a new save with all the Pokemon you've caught by transfering them to pokemon home and then back again or something like that? It kind sucks that late in the game you've got this large collection of Pokemon but nothing to do. That's why I wish their was a new game plus.
Yeah, but as you will have a different trainer id, if they're over levelled they wont obey you.

Gehrman

Yeah, but as you will have a different trainer id, if they're over levelled they wont obey you.
Alright, I'm a complete Pokemon newbie. I traded my Zamazenta to Zacian over GTS via Pokemon home, but the Zacian I got did not hold the sword, and the Zamazenta he got did not hold the rusted shield(despite that I had it equiped), so know I'm stuck with Zacian without having a sword in its mouth and stuck with a rusted shield instead. What do I do?

Damien

Staff
Alright, I'm a complete Pokemon newbie. I traded my Zamazenta to Zacian over GTS via Pokemon home, but the Zacian I got did not hold the sword, and the Zamazenta he got did not hold the rusted shield(despite that I had it equiped), so know I'm stuck with Zacian without having a sword in its mouth and stuck with a rusted shield instead. What do I do?
I think you're in trouble. You cant have pokemon holding items in home, so you will have the shield in your inventory but I don't think there is a way for you to get the sword unless someone link/surprise trades you one

Damien

Staff
However, I do know a discord that has genned pokemon including the legendaries holding the items. You could always resort to joining that, getting the item you need then releasing the pokemon or whatever

Gehrman

However, I do know a discord that has genned pokemon including the legendaries holding the items. You could always resort to joining that, getting the item you need then releasing the pokemon or whatever
What's the discord link? Anyway there must be people who bought to the sword version and traded for Zamazenta and are stuck with the rusted sword and want the rusted shield.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
What's the discord link? Anyway there must be people who bought to the sword version and traded for Zamazenta and are stuck with the rusted sword and want the rusted shield.
You could always put Solrock in home and ask for a legendary for it, 2 days later and boom you got it.

Sara125

Hi guys I need a bit of help.

So I’m currently playing ultra sun and I want to give competitive gaming a go. The problem is I’m an old school Pokemon gamer and I’ve always only ever done normal play through so I know literally nothing about breeding perfect IVs, natures and other useful matchups that I see people talking about for playing online. Is there a good beginner’s guide floating around on the internet that I can follow?

Havak

Pokemon master
Hi guys I need a bit of help.

So I’m currently playing ultra sun and I want to give competitive gaming a go. The problem is I’m an old school Pokemon gamer and I’ve always only ever done normal play through so I know literally nothing about breeding perfect IVs, natures and other useful matchups that I see people talking about for playing online. Is there a good beginner’s guide floating around on the internet that I can follow?
I would very much suggest getting a Nintendo Switch and Sword/Shield if you want to play competitive (if you haven't already). You won't find as many people playing older formats now.

Are you interested in playing Single Battles or Double Battles? Despite Singles being the original way to play and having a rather large community on mostly on the website Smogon, I would recommend looking into Double Battles if you want to get more involved. The official Pokemon Video Game Championships (VGC) uses these rules and this will allow you to play official rulings online and go to events to participate as well if you decided to. It's really fun, you can meet some great people and win some awesome prizes if you get good enough.

This is a beginners guide series by Wolfe Glick. I'll admit he can be a bit hard to follow sometimes. He talks rather fast and sometimes ends up straying away from the topic slightly in some videos, but you can't fault his credentials. Former World Champion, US National Champion and multiple Regional Champion. Definitely a good place to start to learn, but if you need more help just give me a message.

I used to play Singles myself competitively from 2004-2009 or so, but then the VGC Series began in Europe instead of just America and Japan, so I began playing that instead. I've been a Semi-Finalist in the Official Smogon Tournament (biggest Single Battle tournament on the Internet) and managed a top 8 finish before in the UK National Championship for VGC (Doubles), as well as playing at the World Championships twice.

If you do get Sword / Shield, I have spares of every competitive Pokemon I have bred, so could trade you those.

Sara125

I would very much suggest getting a Nintendo Switch and Sword/Shield if you want to play competitive (if you haven't already). You won't find as many people playing older formats now.

Are you interested in playing Single Battles or Double Battles? Despite Singles being the original way to play and having a rather large community on mostly on the website Smogon, I would recommend looking into Double Battles if you want to get more involved. The official Pokemon Video Game Championships (VGC) uses these rules and this will allow you to play official rulings online and go to events to participate as well if you decided to. It's really fun, you can meet some great people and win some awesome prizes if you get good enough.

This is a beginners guide series by Wolfe Glick. I'll admit he can be a bit hard to follow sometimes. He talks rather fast and sometimes ends up straying away from the topic slightly in some videos, but you can't fault his credentials. Former World Champion, US National Champion and multiple Regional Champion. Definitely a good place to start to learn, but if you need more help just give me a message.

I used to play Singles myself competitively from 2004-2009 or so, but then the VGC Series began in Europe instead of just America and Japan, so I began playing that instead. I've been a Semi-Finalist in the Official Smogon Tournament (biggest Single Battle tournament on the Internet) and managed a top 8 finish before in the UK National Championship for VGC (Doubles), as well as playing at the World Championships twice.

If you do get Sword / Shield, I have spares of every competitive Pokemon I have bred, so could trade you those.
Thank you for all of this. Gonna give his channel a look. In regard to singles and doubles I don’t mind. Also, from what I gathered on the Pokemon subreddit there are still a handful of people that play Gen VII competitively but it makes sense that everyone is moving on to sword and shield now. I haven’t purchased a switch yet (pockets been tight) but as soon as I do I’ll get back to you!

Havak

Pokemon master
Thank you for all of this. Gonna give his channel a look. In regard to singles and doubles I don’t mind. Also, from what I gathered on the Pokemon subreddit there are still a handful of people that play Gen VII competitively but it makes sense that everyone is moving on to sword and shield now. I haven’t purchased a switch yet (pockets been tight) but as soon as I do I’ll get back to you!
Yeah, most of the information is still applicable, but a lot of the process gets less and less tedious as the next games are released. Sword and Shield were definitely no exception.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Is Sword or Shield worthy buying now or do you think there will be an enhanced version with all the DLC included?

I've played through nearly all the main series games but I noticed the reception was largely lukewarm to these ones.

Cloud7

Is Sword or Shield worthy buying now or do you think there will be an enhanced version with all the DLC included?

I've played through nearly all the main series games but I noticed the reception was largely lukewarm to these ones.
If there is an enhanced version it probably won't be for another year or so, after they've milked out people buying them individually. If you want to play the game go ahead and get it. I've played all the main series games as well, and I probably would say that these weren't anything outstanding, but it's Pokemon. You'll still enjoy it. Even if it's nothing groundbreaking or game changing you'll still enjoy it.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
I cannot beat Sierra for fecking love nor money :lol: :mad:
Is it the frost breath lapras that's doing you in? I had that issue and every solution I read said go with lucario which I don't have(steel type for defence, fightingfor offence). I went with an aggron as it's bulk stood up long enough for me to burn through her shields. Once I could actually hit charged attacks it became a lot easier. Take advantage of those brief moments where she doesn't attack after switching pokemon. Careful switching managed to just get me over the line.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is it the frost breath lapras that's doing you in? I had that issue and every solution I read said go with lucario which I don't have(steel type for defence, fightingfor offence). I went with an aggron as it's bulk stood up long enough for me to burn through her shields. Once I could actually hit charged attacks it became a lot easier. Take advantage of those brief moments where she doesn't attack after switching pokemon. Careful switching managed to just get me over the line.
Aye no matter what I try her Lapras knacks 2 of mine at least and then it becomes solid to beat her.

I don't have one of those either but I do have an Aggron so I might go with that instead. Cheers!

Havak

Pokemon master
Crown Tundra DLC news today at 14:00.

Rumoured to be 11 minutes.

Will be released sometime in November, my money is on either November 5th or November 26th. I might be well off there but with the next gen consoles releasing w/c 7th & 16th and Hyrule Warriors releasing on the 20th, I think they'd rather avoid that kind of clash to give it a clear window.

Should only be about the DLC specifically, but we know what they're like and they could tease something else at the very end.

Pokémon Day is every year on February 27th, so I'd expect another Pokémon Direct by then to announce their plans for 2021. Probably releasing New Pokémon Snap next year and either a Let's Go version of Gold/Silver or Diamond & Pearl remakes for the holiday period (Oct/Nov 2021). There are rumours that we will see a third addition to Sword & Shield in some way which could either be another island or just a free update meaning we can move every single Pokémon into Sword/Shield at least.

Crown Tundra is bringing back these Pokémon:

029 Nidoran♀ 030 Nidorina 031 Nidoqueen 032 Nidoran♂ 033 Nidorino 034 Nidoking 041 Zubat 042 Golbat 124 Jynx 125 Electabuzz 126 Magmar 138 Omanyte 139 Omastar 140 Kabuto 141 Kabutops 142 Aerodactyl 144 Articuno 145 Zapdos 146 Moltres 147 Dratini 148 Dragonair 149 Dragonite 169 Crobat 238 Smoochum 239 Elekid 240 Magby 243 Raikou 244 Entei 245 Suicune 249 Lugia 250 Ho-Oh 252 Treecko 253 Grovyle 254 Sceptile 255 Torchic 256 Combusken 257 Blaziken 258 Mudkip 259 Marshtomp 260 Swampert 304 Aron 305 Lairon 306 Aggron 333 Swablu 334 Altaria 345 Lileep 346 Cradily 347 Anorith 348 Armaldo 359 Absol 363 Spheal 364 Sealeo 365 Walrein 369 Relicanth 371 Bagon 372 Shelgon 373 Salamence 374 Beldum 375 Metang 376 Metagross 377 Regirock 378 Regice 379 Registeel 380 Latias 381 Latios 382 Kyogre 383 Groudon 384 Rayquaza 442 Spiritomb 443 Gible 444 Gabite 445 Garchomp 466 Electivire 467 Magmortar 480 Uxie 481 Mesprit 482 Azelf 483 Dialga 484 Palkia 485 Heatran 486 Regigigas 487 Giratina 488 Cresselia 494 Victini 531 Audino 564 Tirtouga 565 Carracosta 566 Archen 567 Archeops 615 Cryogonal 641 Tornadus 642 Thundurus 645 Landorus 649 Genesect 696 Tyrunt 697 Tyrantrum 698 Amaura 699 Aurorus 703 Carbink 716 Xerneas 717 Yveltal 718 Zygarde 719 Diancie 721 Volcanion 785 Tapu Koko 786 Tapu Lele 787 Tapu Bulu 788 Tapu Fini 793 Nihilego 794 Buzzwole 795 Pheromosa 796 Xurkitree 797 Celesteela 798 Kartana 799 Guzzlord 803 Poipole 804 Naganadel 805 Stakataka 806 Blacephalon

Edit: Lots of rumours they may be managing to get this out in mid-October now! Would be impressive given all the struggles with Covid considering it was planned for November from the get-go.

Last edited:

Damien

Staff
Would be nice if they managed it so you could have the following Pokemon everywhere along with a box expansion as the current storage isn't enough (but definitely can't see that happening as they want people to buy Pokemon Home). I don't think they'll enable it so all Pokemon can be moved into Sword/Shield either as they want people to keep subscribing.

Havak

Pokemon master
Would be nice if they managed it so you could have the following Pokemon everywhere along with a box expansion as the current storage isn't enough (but definitely can't see that happening as they want people to buy Pokemon Home). I don't think they'll enable it so all Pokemon can be moved into Sword/Shield either as they want people to keep subscribing.
I think they will probably do it eventually, sometime next year if not when this comes out, but it depends if the next game is Gen 4 remakes. If the next game is Gen 4 remakes I can see them just fecking off Sword/Shield and making everyone buy those as they will probably allow all Pokémon species to be moved to those games in the post-game. If it's just a Let's Go game next year, then I think they will go to the effort of allowing all 890+ Pokémon to be put in Sword/Shield.

Havak

Pokemon master
I got it a couple of days ago and yeah I’m enjoying it, the long break I’ve taken has helped me enjoy the game more I think
Yeah, I really like the evolution of the open world areas. You can see how much it has progressed since the base game, to the Isle of Armor and now this.

Hopefully the next mainline game is able to use the graphics & textures from the non-open areas and be a full open world game.