Gaming Pokémon Strumfest

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Yeah, I really like the evolution of the open world areas. You can see how much it has progressed since the base game, to the Isle of Armor and now this.

Hopefully the next mainline game is able to use the graphics & textures from the non-open areas and be a full open world game.
fingers crossed, still a lot of missed opportunities in this game that i hope they build on

that being said I love the Galarian forms of the legendary birds

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
So they don't get to look at the actual cards? Underwhelming.
They plan to open them for some big charity event at an unspecified time next year.

If you want to see that box specifically, youtuber Logan Paul opened one recently and made a big event out of it. You can say plenty of things about him but it was very professional and entertaining event, normally people opening boxes on youtube are just one or two guys in a bedroom.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
They plan to open them for some big charity event at an unspecified time next year.

If you want to see that box specifically, youtuber Logan Paul opened one recently and made a big event out of it. You can say plenty of things about him but it was very professional and entertaining event, normally people opening boxes on youtube are just one or two guys in a bedroom.

fecking hell, just watched a few minutes and he pulled a charizard the guy said was worth $65-80k.

Can imagine opening an envelope can be a series of extreme highs and lows.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I've watched a few Pokemon card videos recently (including the Logan Paul one ok I admit it) and I feel like it would be fun to get some packs again. I've been going through my old original ones and the loads I bought in 2011-ish, it's so fun.

I thought I could justify it by selling the duplicates I get. Anyone here sell them?

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
I cant wait for next year for the 25th anniversary I'm hoping they go Gen 2 mad. A gen 2 themed reprint set like Evolutions would be incredible and also I'd love an excuse to by a Switch with a Crystal version remake or something similar :drool:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Just caught a shiny Snorunt on Pokemon sword! :drool:

First ever shiny I've caught (except red gyarados in the second gen)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Congrats. I heard about Pokemon being able to be moved from Go to Home (and then obviously Sword/Shield). Annoyingly most of my Go shinies (only got 5) aren't available in Sword so no point moving:
- Eevee (fine)
- Lileep (not available)
- Mudkip (not available)
- Slakoth (not available)
- Zigzagoon (fine)

Havak

Pokemon master

I haven't caught a shiny 'in the wild' yet in Sword after nearly 1000 hours of play time :lol: admittedly, I don't encounter wild Pokémon very often now. Hatched a lot of shinies and found some in raids though!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I haven't caught a shiny 'in the wild' yet in Sword after nearly 1000 hours of play time :lol: admittedly, I don't encounter wild Pokémon very often now. Hatched a lot of shinies and found some in raids though!
The funny thing is I was trying to get to the machoke in the wild area when this little thing interrupted me.

The only other time I've seen a shiny was in a rom-hack and I'm sure they changed the encounter rate in that.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
without a doubt video game music peaked at this moment

It's a fantastic theme, in fairness. I've always found the Kyroge/Groudon music from the original Ruby and Sapphire to be the most memorable music in the whole series. It still gets stuck in my head, even after all these years.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Anyone who has played crown tundra...

Did you use a master ball to capture calyrex?

And if not, how did you capture him? He's being a stubborn bastard for me

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Completed the Galar Pokedex and I have to say that I've loved this game (Sword)

It was the first one I've played since Black and thought it was amazing in most regards.

The game has come in for a lot of criticism yet I sound myself enjoying the changes made which resulted in a much more pleasurable experience. A lot of the grinding and nuisance acquiring of pokemon has been removed or made far easier.

I wasn't too crazy about the expansions but that might be because I played them immediately after the main storyline.

Havak

Pokemon master
What ya getting?
I've got two Champion's Path Elite Trainer Boxes and all the Gym Leader Pin Sets. I've also ordered three Shining Fates Elite Trainer Boxes and the Dragapult collection box. Got the Autumn Tin box as well... I am very tempted to try and get Booster Boxes of the Sword & Shield sets if I can get them close to rrp as well :lol:

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
I've got two Champion's Path Elite Trainer Boxes and all the Gym Leader Pin Sets. I've also ordered three Shining Fates Elite Trainer Boxes and the Dragapult collection box. Got the Autumn Tin box as well... I am very tempted to try and get Booster Boxes of the Sword & Shield sets if I can get them close to rrp as well :lol:
Merry Christmas!

Tiber

Finally finished Sword last night.

I bought it at launch but lost interest after a while. Restarted recently and enjoyed it. Though all 3 final starter evolutions are tragic.

I finished the story and caught about 160 Pokémon along the way, but I can't be bothered completing the dex or farming eggs.

I never actually lost a battle which was nice, but I know the difficulty is really aimed at kids. I thought fighting the gym trainers at the end was better than the traditional elite 4.

Not sure if I will buy the DLC, got the vibe it's just a new wild area with random Pokémon. I didn't think much of the Wild Area, felt a bit half assed.

Last edited:

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Hey guys, I've just found my original 1999 pokemon cards and been looking online at the prices of shiny ones and I think I may have a small fortune but how do I know for sure?

They're all in near mint condition as they've not been taken out of a book in all that time. Somehow 10 year old me was more organised than adult me.

Havak

Pokemon master
Hey guys, I've just found my original 1999 pokemon cards and been looking online at the prices of shiny ones and I think I may have a small fortune but how do I know for sure?

They're all in near mint condition as they've not been taken out of a book in all that time. Somehow 10 year old me was more organised than adult me.
Could definitely be onto something there for sure.

Do you have any photos of the holographic cards in particular? I'd be happy to help come up with an estimated value although my opinion is far from 'professional'.

Selling can sometimes be difficult as everyone is always looking for a bargain! A whole collection tends to be harder to shift in one go unless you get lucky with a serious buyer/investor. But it's typically worth it as it'll be a much slower process trying to sell singles (and some cards just won't shift as easily, it could take months).

Near Mint to a collector and an average fan can be very different things mind, so front and back photos with close ups of corners and holo foil are recommended.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink

I can also help you, have been collecting again for the last 5 years have built up a pretty substantial collection and knowledge particularly on the graded side of things as well. Best place to start is to show what cards you have and go from there, concentrate on the holographic ones.

dannyrhinos89

@Havak @Vidic_In_Moscow

I've just taken some pictures of my holo ones right now hopefully they're ok. I've tried to get them in decent lighting. They're all in very similar condition to the charizard. No bends/folds or anything, slight wear around edges though.

I'm not expecting much but be nice if you can give me an idea if I should be excited or not bothered.

Havak

Pokemon master
@Havak @Vidic_In_Moscow

I've just taken some pictures of my holo ones right now hopefully they're ok. I've tried to get them in decent lighting. They're all in very similar condition to the charizard. No bends/folds or anything, slight wear around edges though.

I'm not expecting much but be nice if you can give me an idea if I should be excited or not bothered.

The front of the Charizard looks decent, but unfortunately you'll notice down one of the edges in particular is not in the best nick. The back is also pretty bad really. Since it's a Charizard, you can still make a reasonable sum from that - I have seen worse condition ones sell for £30-40 for example. If you could perhaps try with a very of slightly damp cloth to remove some of the specs of dirt from the back, that might make the card look slightly more appealing.

The most serious collectors will 'grade' their cards, sending off to a third party who rates the cards condition out of 10 and seals it away in a plastic case with the score displayed. This Charizard I think would most likely be a 3-4 if you can clear some of the marks (be careful).

If most of your cards are similar to the Charizard in condition, I would be tempted to label them as 'lightly played' or something along those lines. If you start listing these cards are Near Mint, I think you'd sadly get a lot of negative feedback if using selling sites. Opens up a can of worms with people demanding refunds etc if they believe they didn't get what was advertised. The buyer will always win disputes.

I'm not as well versed on Japanese cards, but there are a lot of collectors I'm sure.

If you want to use eBay, just remember that you're probably gonna lose 13%~ of your sale overall, plus any shipping required (which I'd imagine would require some form of insurance cover as well, so not cheap).

Unfortunately, the best site to use to gauge current value is down for maintenance right now, but I think if selling as a whole collection, you might be onto a few hundred quid with the right buyer.

From what I've seen so far, I sadly don't think it's worth a thousand or more for example. Things change daily as well though, it's like the stock market!

dannyrhinos89

The front of the Charizard looks decent, but unfortunately you'll notice down one of the edges in particular is not in the best nick. The back is also pretty bad really. Since it's a Charizard, you can still make a reasonable sum from that - I have seen worse condition ones sell for £30-40 for example. If you could perhaps try with a very of slightly damp cloth to remove some of the specs of dirt from the back, that might make the card look slightly more appealing.

The most serious collectors will 'grade' their cards, sending off to a third party who rates the cards condition out of 10 and seals it away in a plastic case with the score displayed. This Charizard I think would most likely be a 3-4 if you can clear some of the marks (be careful).

If most of your cards are similar to the Charizard in condition, I would be tempted to label them as 'lightly played' or something along those lines. If you start listing these cards are Near Mint, I think you'd sadly get a lot of negative feedback if using selling sites. Opens up a can of worms with people demanding refunds etc if they believe they didn't get what was advertised. The buyer will always win disputes.

I'm not as well versed on Japanese cards, but there are a lot of collectors I'm sure.

If you want to use eBay, just remember that you're probably gonna lose 13%~ of your sale overall, plus any shipping required (which I'd imagine would require some form of insurance cover as well, so not cheap).

Unfortunately, the best site to use to gauge current value is down for maintenance right now, but I think if selling as a whole collection, you might be onto a few hundred quid with the right buyer.

From what I've seen so far, I sadly don't think it's worth a thousand or more for example. Things change daily as well though, it's like the stock market!
OK thanks. I honestly wasn't expecting much but I'm really not clued up on pokemon cards anymore last time I even looked at them I was a kid :) it was nice trip down memory lane looking through them all again though after I found them randomly while cleaning. Reminded me of my youth.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
@Vidic_In_Moscow Do you have much for trade from the latest sets?
I literally sent all the full arts and special cards from Shiny Star V to someone on IG to sell for me. Opened one box and pulled the V Max zard in my first ever pack, only card I’m keeping. Otherwise I don’t really collect modern sets, last ones I collected were CP6 and I also bought a Tag Bolt box to start a binder set with.

Havak

Pokemon master
He has amazing production quality. Can’t wait to see them live stream opening another box again!
Yeah! I didn't watch the last one live, but might try and watch this one as it's confirmed for the weekend.

Really excited for the time in and around Pokemon Day this year, it's going to be mental. I will be putting money aside for buying a lot of 25th anniversary TCG in October haha

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Yeah! I didn't watch the last one live, but might try and watch this one as it's confirmed for the weekend.

Really excited for the time in and around Pokemon Day this year, it's going to be mental. I will be putting money aside for buying a lot of 25th anniversary TCG in October haha
when this weekend? I love a good opening

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Sorry, bad choice of words! Should have said 'a' weekend. February 27th, Pokemon Day, which is a Saturday this year.
oh got you! Ok nice definitely on that

good call on saving money I hadn’t even thought about it