Police investigating abuse (including alleged racist) directed towards Lingard

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The first time i heard it, i was sure it was the N word, but after someone in this thread said it sounded like Lingard, that's what i'm hearing too.
I can only hear Lingard now... maybe it's the Laurel something thing again?

Anyway, the rest of what they were shouting was just stupid too.... why do people do this?
What event was this at? Are these United supporters? "supporters"
That is what it is like for me as well. I saw the video when the article said it was racist abuse and I heard the n-word initially, then after some here said it was actually Lingard, I can hear that now too.

It was after the Derby game when the players were boarding the bus. It isn't known whether they were United fans or not. All the info is in the link in the OP.
Well if it was beyond clear then we wouldn’t be having this debate.

I’m not sure either way. What I am sure about is that, there are a number of low life football fans who think it’s ok to follow players to the coach and hurl insults
Yep. The police are investigating anyway so they'll find out.

SaintMuppet

No excuse for racism ever.
Some of his performances are worthy of abuse but beyond that it’s abysmal behaviour worthy of a life ban!!!

AFC NimbleThumb

No it doesn't, but if I like the song and sing along to it I'll be made out to be a racist thus creating "songs only for black people".
To focus on the subject of music as it’s often the go to. Historically black people were never the ones buying the majority of music in the genre anyway; I used to be quite up on the figures but have lost interest since physical sales have diminished.

A quick google search of ‘who buys rap music’ will return articles citing different data but returning that the majority of the purchases are from the ‘white’ audience.

Hip hop/rap has always welcomed in people of all races so the fact you can’t sing the title of ‘Niggers in Paris’ in all company isn’t some form of censorship.

Let me ask. Has a body actually ever called you “racist” for singing the ‘N word’ in a song? Sounds like another fictitious belief to reinforce an even more fictitious notion of oppression against the dominant culture.

Maybe somebody has but generally the truth is a ‘white’ person will feel uncomfortable saying the ‘N word’ in most scenarios that don’t favour them in fear of being called racist which surely means the best thing is to not say the word and leave it to those without such hang ups without judging them cause you can’t/don’t.

There are numerous discussions/topics I feel uncomfortable discussing so. . . I don’t discuss them.

Dante

Average bang
No excuse for racism ever.
Some of his performances are worthy of abuse but beyond that it’s abysmal behaviour worthy of a life ban!!!
They're worthy of criticism, not abuse.

If he plays poorly, criticise his play or his footballing ability. Not his person.

Either he's a poor footballer playing to his limit, in which case it's not his fault. Or he's a top footballer going through a drop in form, in which case it's not his fault.

ArjenIsM3

To focus on the subject of music as it’s often the go to. Historically black people were never the ones buying the majority of music in the genre anyway; I used to be quite up on the figures but have lost interest since physical sales have diminished.

A quick google search of ‘who buys rap music’ will return articles citing different data but returning that the majority of the purchases are from the ‘white’ audience.

Hip hop/rap has always welcomed in people of all races so the fact you can’t sing the title of ‘Niggers in Paris’ in all company isn’t some form of censorship.

Let me ask. Has a body actually ever called you “racist” for singing the ‘N word’ in a song? Sounds like another fictitious belief to reinforce an even more fictitious notion of oppression against the dominant culture.

Maybe somebody has but generally the truth is a ‘white’ person will feel uncomfortable saying the ‘N word’ in most scenarios that don’t favour them in fear of being called racist which surely means the best thing is to not say the word and leave it to those without such hang ups without judging them cause you can’t/don’t.

There are numerous discussions/topics I feel uncomfortable discussing so. . . I don’t discuss them.
Not me personally no, I'm not that into rap anyway. But a Dutch MLS manager has recently been fired for allegedly doing just that.

Brightonian

Not me personally no, I'm not that into rap anyway. But a Dutch MLS manager has recently been fired for allegedly doing just that.
No, he wasn't. A very quick google reveals that that was what he claimed happened afterwards, but his take on it was immediately refuted by the players' group representing the players at the club (FC Cincinnati), who say there were a number of incidents stretching back for some time, including some unsavoury remarks during a visit to a slavery monument. They claim the 'singing a rap song' incident never even happened.

ArjenIsM3

No, he wasn't. A very quick google reveals that that was what he claimed happened afterwards, but his take on it was immediately refuted by the players' group representing the players at the club (FC Cincinnati), who say there were a number of incidents stretching back for some time, including some unsavoury remarks during a visit to a slavery monument. They claim the 'singing a rap song' incident never even happened.
Then it's his word versus theirs and nothing can be proven? There's also a lot of people (of color) he's worked with backing him saying he's not a racist at all and one of the nicest people you can find and that he's the one who instigated the trip to the monument in the first place.

AFC NimbleThumb

Then it's his word versus theirs and nothing can be proven? There's also a lot of people (of color) he's worked with backing him saying he's not a racist at all and one of the nicest people you can find and that he's the one who instigated the trip to the monument in the first place.
Does saying something that is racially insensitive make you ‘a racist’?

This is often the issue when these discussions happen; the 2 can be mutually exclusive.

He’s [apparently] made a series of questionable comments & has now lost his job so how about not making any comments in the first place.

GenZRed

Lingard gets paid six figures a week and does feck all on the pitch. I'm sure he will survive people shouting 'you're shit'.

Also, I heard in that video the person saing 'Lingard, Lingard' not 'nigga, nigga'.

Storm in a teacup, as everything is these days.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Players within the dressing room have already come out and confirmed the singing a rap song indeed happened. A player brought it to his attention in the moment and he immediately apologized.

As far as I remember, the players reps didn’t say it didn’t happen either. They said it wasn’t why he was fired.

SaintMuppet

They're worthy of criticism, not abuse.

If he plays poorly, criticise his play or his footballing ability. Not his person.

Either he's a poor footballer playing to his limit, in which case it's not his fault. Or he's a top footballer going through a drop in form, in which case it's not his fault.
I see the word and grammar police are out in force. You know damn well I was not advocating the type of abuse he received for whatever reason, so please don’t even hint that I am!
He is a bad footballer getting vastly overpaid for his limited talents, not bad for somebody who can pass for 15 years old judging by his behaviour. I never want to see him in a teamsheet again! (There are my feelings about him for you to pick apart at your leisure)

Thankyou kindly