Police officer shot dead in custody centre

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Awful tragedy, RIP, how the feck did the suspect manage to do that whilst cuffed ?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
didnt see a thread on this. Apologies if i missed it.

Suspect then shot himself.

He was handcuffed and taken to the custody centre, the search must have missed the gun then?

2 months away from retirement.

RIP
Link?
I’ve no idea where this was.

lewwoo

Awful tragedy, RIP, how the feck did the suspect manage to do that whilst cuffed ?
The weapon must of been in his waist band at the back and in a rear back to back technique it is possible to use your hands to pull something out. The bigger question will be why he wasn't searched properly before entering the vehicle or at least before entering custody. Searching is a very sensitive subject especially in London. Whatever the details it is a terrible tragedy that a man has lost his life. Rest in peace.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The weapon must of been in his waist band at the back and in a rear back to back technique it is possible to use your hands to pull something out. The bigger question will be why he wasn't searched properly before entering the vehicle or at least before entering custody. Searching is a very sensitive subject especially in London. Whatever the details it is a terrible tragedy that a man has lost his life. Rest in peace.
Stopping someone and searching them randomly is probably a sensitive issue but once they've decided to book the person, they had every responsibility to make sure he was thoroughly searched before being loaded up and brought to a police station. This looks especially awful considering that he was apparently arrested for possession of narcotics and ammunition, did they not see the missing piece of the holy trinity there?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Stopping someone and searching them randomly is probably a sensitive issue but once they've decided to book the person, they had every responsibility to make sure he was thoroughly searched before being loaded up and brought to a police station. This looks especially awful considering that he was apparently arrested for possession of narcotics and ammunition, did they not see the missing piece of the holy trinity there?
I thought the same thing - when you've actually been arrested and brought to a police station, it's not a random stop-and-search thing. RIP Sergeant Ratana.

lewwoo

I thought the same thing - when you've actually been arrested and brought to a police station, it's not a random stop-and-search thing. RIP Sergeant Ratana.
It was during the search at the Police station he pulled out the gun. I dont understand how it was missed during the pre transport search. Those answers will no doubt be found out in the investigation. Officers are definetly sketchy on all searching in public these days. If it was in a very public place with a crowd they may have not searched as thoroughly as they should of. I dont know the circumstances though but that Officer who did that search and transported him back to custody will be feeling distraught I would imagine.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I hope more details come out because the idea that he was not searched and was able to accurately take a concealed weapon and shoot the officer and then himself, while handcuffed, sounds very implausible

Deery

Dreary
Apparently his hands were handcuffed behind his back too, seems near impossible to shoot someone in the chest like that then turn the gun on himself. He must’ve got uncuffed at the station.

arnie_ni

I hope more details come out because the idea that he was not searched and was able to accurately take a concealed weapon and shoot the officer and then himself, while handcuffed, sounds very implausible
You'd wonder at that?

Did he get uncuffed then fire?

If your hands are cuffed behind the back you would stuggle to get a shot of that would kill someone, or so youd think anyway

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
You'd wonder at that?

Did he get uncuffed then fire?

If your hands are cuffed behind the back you would stuggle to get a shot of that would kill someone, or so youd think anyway
It’s the shooting himself part I find most perplexing. How could you get a clean shot at yourself with your hands behind your back? Apparently shot himself in the neck. After he’s just shot one person it seems odd he’d stop then to turn it on himself to try and kill himself in a way that is likely not going to be “clean” or quick.

arnie_ni

It’s the shooting himself part I find most perplexing. How could you get a clean shot at yourself with your hands behind your back? Apparently shot himself in the neck. After he’s just shot one person it seems odd he’d stop then to turn it on himself to try and kill himself in a way that is likely not going to be “clean” or quick.
You thinking maybe they shot him with his weapon?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
You thinking maybe they shot him with his weapon?
No clue to be honest. I don’t see why they’d need to cover up the fact they killed him when they’d have a legitimate reason if he was armed and had just shot someone. Just a very bizarre story.

Sara125

They are saying this is a possible way that the officer was shot. Not sure how physically easy it is in this position to shoot someone 5 times as well as shoot yourself in the neck.

lewwoo

Police Officer who moved over from New Zealand and had nearly 30 years service in this country gets murdered in cold blood gets not even one page on this forum. Why doesn't it surprise me.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If he was already in a cell why would he still be cuffed?

Sounds like they got complacent, they didn't pat him down properly and the lone officer went to take his DNA/ask for questions etc.

Clearly a tragic error but you'd never expect somebody to do that while already in custody.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Police Officer who moved over from New Zealand and had nearly 30 years service in this country gets murdered in cold blood gets not even one page on this forum. Why doesn't it surprise me.
Bit of an odd post - how many pages would be acceptable to you?

lewwoo

If he was already in a cell why would he still be cuffed?

Sounds like they got complacent, they didn't pat him down properly and the lone officer went to take his DNA/ask for questions etc.

Clearly a tragic error but you'd never expect somebody to do that while already in custody.
He should of been searched long before custody. I dont understand how you even get in a vehicle without a seach. Its not like a bag of coke or a razor blade. A revolver is a large object.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
feck off with this shit.

lewwoo

You’re morally bankrupt, you’re using the death of this man as a prop for your shitty little agenda.
Fair enough. I am morally bankrupt. The shit I have seen. Sorry no argument here. I have issues. Take care.

Adam-Utd

He should of been searched long before custody. I dont understand how you even get in a vehicle without a seach. Its not like a bag of coke or a razor blade. A revolver is a large object.
It seems they either didn't bother to search him (maybe deemed him to be dangerous and didn't want the hassle) or they searched him poorly.

To be able to hide a gun in his underwear and not find it is a bit mental - and it's cost the officer his life. I assume being 2am they were tired and just wanted to go home and not have to deal with it.

lewwoo

It seems they either didn't bother to search him (maybe deemed him to be dangerous and didn't want the hassle) or they searched him poorly.

To be able to hide a gun in his underwear and not find it is a bit mental - and it's cost the officer his life. I assume being 2am they were tired and just wanted to go home and not have to deal with it.
I cant see any situation where a gun gets through but you are right. Who knows what the Officers involved thought.

lewwoo

All I can say from a officers point of view from england. None of us are perfect. Some of us are fecking wankers to be fair. I can only say from my experience I dont earn great money. I face violence every day. Public dont realise that we deal with the people in your communities that rob, assault and abuse you. Every day we fight.

Genuine question. If the Police were disbanded what happens when assholes decide to do what they want? Who stops that?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Fair enough. I am morally bankrupt. The shit I have seen. Sorry no argument here. I have issues. Take care.
Sorry, I lost my head a little.
I can understand why this is a sensitive topic for you. My brother is an officer and the idea of him being gunned down would kill me. The death of this officer has been used in nefarious ways though, I’ve seen it linked with BLM protests and how this is a natural outcome. Despite their being virtually no details on the case there’s been a fair amount of people willing to use this case.

I’d need someone more informed on the legislation but I think technically you need to have reasonable belief to search someone, even if they’re being taken to the station. It’s a weird grey area and 99% of the time a search will be done.

Adam-Utd

I’d need someone more informed on the legislation but I think technically you need to have reasonable belief to search someone, even if they’re being taken to the station. It’s a weird grey area and 99% of the time a search will be done.
I think he was found with live ammunition and drugs on him? that would be plenty of grounds for a proper search IMO.

Anyway, hopefully an investigation is happening into how this was allowed to happen.

lewwoo

Sorry, I lost my head a little.
I can understand why this is a sensitive topic for you. My brother is an officer and the idea of him being gunned down would kill me. The death of this officer has been used in nefarious ways though, I’ve seen it linked with BLM protests and how this is a natural outcome. Despite their being virtually no details on the case there’s been a fair amount of people willing to use this case.

If they are arrested they should be searched. Its no grey area for me. I do it every day.

You need reasonable grounds to search somebody on the street but not once under arrest.

Deery

Dreary
All I can say from a officers point of view from england. None of us are perfect. Some of us are fecking wankers to be fair. I can only say from my experience I dont earn great money. I face violence every day. Public dont realise that we deal with the people in your communities that rob, assault and abuse you. Every day we fight.

Genuine question. If the Police were disbanded what happens when assholes decide to do what they want? Who stops that?
Police officers do a great job and are wrongly vilified by people. If we are ever in trouble the first thing we do is ring the police for help and the come to help. I don’t get the idea that they are the bad ones.

lewwoo

Police officers do a great job and are wrongly vilified by people. If we are ever in trouble the first thing we do is ring the police for help and the come to help. I don’t get the idea that they are the bad ones.
Thank you but you are in the vocal minority unfortunately. The people who come to try and help you are the enemy. The criminals deserve more respect and help. Until you are the victim. Then you pray for help.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
If they are arrested they should be searched. Its no grey area for me. I do it every day.

You need reasonable grounds to search somebody on the street but not once under arrest.
Yeah, every cop does and they’re instructed to do so. But the legislation itself is the grey area. Read it. It doesn’t amount to much because it doesn’t come into play but it’s opaque and poorly worded.

Have you ever been targeted by a police officer? Ever been humiliated and threatened while trying to report a crime? My brother is a good guy and I know he does a good job and he cares, I also know that there are plenty of bad officers, ones who should be in prison.

lewwoo

Yeah, every cop does and they’re instructed to do so. But the legislation itself is the grey area. Read it. It doesn’t amount to much because it doesn’t come into play but it’s opaque and poorly worded.

Have you ever been targeted by a police officer? Ever been humiliated and threatened while trying to report a crime? My brother is a good guy and I know he does a good job and he cares, I also know that there are plenty of bad officers, ones who should be in prison.
On arrest it really isn't. If you mean stop search then yes it is a grey area at the moment. Search on arrest is very clear by law though. If there is enough grounds for a Officer to arrest you then you can be searched completely including a more thorough search back at custody. Which means a naked squat because believe it or not people hide drugs and other objects up their bum.

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
Why would a police officer threaten and humiliate you for reporting a crime? No I have only had good experiences when I’ve had contact with police, this preconception that police are out to get you is totally a wrong one. Maybe there is a bad one in the police but there is bad ones everywhere in life. I think the vast majority nowadays would be good and that’s from the view of a Catholic growing up in Northern Ireland where I’ve seen great injustices from the RUC towards Catholic’s..