[Poll Added] Hypothetical: Next manager after Jose Mourinho

Who would be your current choice for next manager after Jose Mourinho?

• Total voters

Shiva87

I don't think we, or anyone for that matter, are winning the league till Pep stays in the premier league. He is on a different level altogether & has built a juggernaut at City. So with that in mind, I would like a young manager who is willing to build us again along with a top Dof for the next two or three years. We should look for someone who plays attacking football, has a good temperament, has an eye for talent, believes in building through youth & stays true to the traditions of the club. Enough of this trying to find a ready made solution to achieve instant success. I won't mind a period with no trophies as long as there is enough improvement in each and every department of our club and can ultimately puts us in a position to win the big two prizes after the build up period.

The only managers who I am aware of who I think are capable are Poch and Jardim. However, I am sure there are other names, like mentioned in this thread, who fulfill the criteria. I would be happy as long as proper due diligence is done this time before making the appointment. No need to rush to Zidane or Ancelotti or Alegri or the likes for the next appointment. In fact, I would be disappointed if it's Ancelotti just because he is a "proven winner". We need a young, modern manager to take us forward. If we mess the next appointment, I think we'll be staring at a Liverpool like decline.
What makes you think that we haven't already had a Liverpool like decline?

In Rainbows

Remember when The Caf wanted Jardim?

Well he's off to manage in Saudi Arabia.

This forum really is the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:
That's like laughing at someone for going to China when they must be getting a good amount of money.

ErranMorad

What makes you think that we haven't already had a Liverpool like decline?
Because I think we have a good team, some very exciting youth players and the money. We need a few tweaks to the squad and a good manager to get the best out of them. Don't think our squad as it is is worse than Arsenal's or Chelsea's or Spurs.

Kapardin

Remember when The Caf wanted Jardim?

Well he's off to manage in Saudi Arabia.

This forum really is the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:
So he's shit if he accepts a job in Saudi Arabia?

It could be that he's talented, but he values money over his career. A pity in terms of ambition, but not a negation of his abilities.

Any Favre talk is silly.

Just picking up a 61 year old manager who has never enjoyed great success anywhere because his Dortmund team is doing well.
Favre was excellent at Nice and has displayed great tactical nous at Dortmund. In a market starved of good managers, he represents the best bet we have at playing good football, maximizing talent and coping with Woodward's transfer shenanigans.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Because I think we have a good team, some very exciting youth players and the money. We need a few tweaks to the squad and a good manager to get the best out of them. Don't think our squad as it is is worse than Arsenal's or Chelsea's or Spurs.
Liverpool 96 also had a few good players. Some home grown ones as well. One of them went on to play for Real Madrid and won the CL.

They were also relatively big spenders back then. They had bought promising domestic based players like David James, McAteer, Stan Collymoore. I'd say they fecked things up with the whole co-manager thing with Evans and Houllier, something something about the bootroom tradition or not sacking managers. They also had to fight for supremacy with a club who were on the ascendancy, were rich and had one of the all time greats as their manager. That was us back then. Sounds similar to City, if you ignore where City's money come from. Hell, City are in a way better shape financially than we were back then, so why ignore that?

And another thing, there were talks of the Liverpool players and coaches back then of them being annoyed at how the old all conquering players-turned-pundits giving them too much pressure etc etc.

We are already in a Liverpool-like decline. Make no mistake about it.

Footyislife

Poch or Jardim. Our 3 best players in each key positions are young players who need to be coached into consistent superstars: Martial, Pogba, Bailly. Plus have so many young players with talent: Rashford, Dalot, Pereira, TFM, Axel. Finally we need a manager who has shown they can play attacking football.

Really torn on Zidane. He's a great man manager who had a world class squad, just haven't seen enough tactically from him to say that would translate with our squad which isn't as talented. Would be a big risk/reward kind of situation.

Poch, Howe, Nagglesman, Tuchel.

These are the type of managers we should be looking at young hungry managers that play a good brand of football and develop young players.

Suv666

I don't really care if it's a little better. The bottom line is, his teams play a very conservative style and I want a manager with some cojones at United to bring back some exciting football.
I agree with you. It was meant for the folks who want Simeone or Conte, I'd be ready to go as far as Allegri in terms of style. But yeah a defensive manager is the last thing we need.

Suv666

Defensive or not, Allegri is a great manager but he doesn't work without a DOF as he has no personality in front of the board or in the market. If we put him in charge of everything here like we're doing it'll end miserably. Bring him + DOF and he'll do well.
Yeah at this point in time a DOF is almost as important as the manager. Tbh though, I cant see Woody hiring one. The cnut would not accept the fact he knows nothing about football.

padzilla

Hipster
Barring an incredible collapse I think Jose is here until the end of the season at the very least. There needs to be widescale protests among our supporters about the board but we all know that won't happen for various reasons.

Shiva87

Ok. Same as Liverpool in the early 2000. Won things but not consistent enough to challenge for the title. Their own version of the treble was also there.

Anyway - that's not the point. I agree with you, it's a good squad. But everything you are saying happens in an ideal world. In that situation - Jose would have been gone 2 months ago.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Why would Poch come to United?
Much bigger pay packet and a much bigger transfer kitty. Surely that will be tempting to Poch considering he's been making noises in the press about having his hands tied in the transfer market.

The Mad Manc

Much bigger pay packet and a much bigger transfer kitty. Surely that will be tempting to Poch considering he's been making noises in the press about having his hands tied in the transfer market.
Isn't that exactly what our current manager did, summer just gone?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Isn't that exactly what our current manager did, summer just gone?
Our current manager was wanting the club to blow ridiculous money on Alderweireld who is nearly 30. £75m is what was quoted by Levy for a player that could be bought in the summer for £25m. Maguire from Leicester for a similar fee and then we had Boateng and Godin. Woodward and the board are more than willing to splash the cash but for younger players with resale value or someone who is in his peak and proven to be world class.

Poch would be backed because I believe the players he will target will be of the profile that will align with the clubs transfer policy imo.

Sb_16

United's criteria for recruiting managers:
Trophy laden CV
Experienced
Free agent/Unemployed

That sounds terrible, doesn't it?

Loon

:lol:
You'd have to think that United would now be at the point where compensation to a team is a small price to pay to get their first choice manager?

....Right?

The Mad Manc

Our current manager was wanting the club to blow ridiculous money on Alderweireld who is nearly 30. £75m is what was quoted by Levy for a player that could be bought in the summer for £25m. Maguire from Leicester for a similar fee and then we had Boateng and Godin. Woodward and the board are more than willing to splash the cash but for younger players with resale value or someone who is in his peak and proven to be world class.

Poch would be backed because I believe the players he will target will be of the profile that will align with the clubs transfer policy imo.
Fair point.

I'd take Poch over Mourinho in a heartbeat.

Craig Ward

A few tweaks?

Jesus - we need a new manage, a DOF and a clear footballing strategy from board level down. And that's before we start talking about the players we have that aren't good enough and need moving on.

We currently have brackets of players that have been here a while and probably need to move on for the greater good:
Young/Valencia/Jones/Smalling/Mata/Lingard
We also have players who just aren't good enough:
Fellaini/Darmian/Rojo
We also have aging players who need moving on:
Matic/Sanchez
We also have long term contract issue's
DDG/Martial/Periera

We also have the massive flop that is Pogba.

So yeah, a few tweaks and we're back to City/Liverpool level.

Now admittedly, some of the above players can do a job for us around the squad, but we are a squad littered with average quality, and more importantly, bad attitude.

We need serious investment, which is remarkable given the pending over the last 3/4 seasons. LVG and Jose have ballsed up every transfer window spectacularly.

We need to identify players with a better professional attitude for me, the signing of Sanchez just highlights throwing cash at someone doesn't work. Pogba too, he's just a problem.

I say it again, I few tweaks and we're contenders right?

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Jardim just rejected a very handsome offer from a Saudi club, just sayin.

Canagel

What about bruno genesio? Was quite impressed with Lyon's football in the two legs vs City .
Any thoughts about his suitability to the United job @JPRouve and @kouroux ??

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What about bruno genesio? Was quite impressed with Lyon's football in the two legs vs City .
Any thoughts about his suitability to the United job @JPRouve and @kouroux ??
Génésio can't set a defense to save his life and he seems to lose the locker room at some point in every single seasons. He is a player developer and should stay at Lyon forever.

And I hope that Jardim really rejected that offer, he has no business coaching in an exotic league.

Canagel

Génésio can't set a defense to save his life and he seems to lose the locker room at some point in every single seasons. He is a player developer and should stay at Lyon forever.

And I hope that Jardim really rejected that offer, he has no business coaching in an exotic league.
Hmmm doesn't sound good then . We do need a player developer still it's probably the biggest criteria we should be looking for in the next manager

Judas

Open to offers
I really hope Poch is desperate for a very big new challenge, I don't see who else there is really, and I'm not even 100% convinced he's right for us either.

ColvaleGoa

Mourinho said we can't attract Spurs players anymore.. what are the chances of attracting their manager? Poch most probably dreams of Real anyways. We are stuck with crap managers for foreseeable future!

reddevil702

Mourinho said we can't attract Spurs players anymore.. what are the chances of attracting their manager? Poch most probably dreams of Real anyways. We are stuck with crap managers for foreseeable future!
Don't think that's what he said and if so it seem to be more in reference to the money available in the PL and teams not having a need to sell.

ErranMorad

A few tweaks?

Jesus - we need a new manage, a DOF and a clear footballing strategy from board level down. And that's before we start talking about the players we have that aren't good enough and need moving on.

We currently have brackets of players that have been here a while and probably need to move on for the greater good:
Young/Valencia/Jones/Smalling/Mata/Lingard
We also have players who just aren't good enough:
Fellaini/Darmian/Rojo
We also have aging players who need moving on:
Matic/Sanchez
We also have long term contract issue's
DDG/Martial/Periera

We also have the massive flop that is Pogba.

So yeah, a few tweaks and we're back to City/Liverpool level.

Now admittedly, some of the above players can do a job for us around the squad, but we are a squad littered with average quality, and more importantly, bad attitude.

We need serious investment, which is remarkable given the pending over the last 3/4 seasons. LVG and Jose have ballsed up every transfer window spectacularly.

We need to identify players with a better professional attitude for me, the signing of Sanchez just highlights throwing cash at someone doesn't work. Pogba too, he's just a problem.

I say it again, I few tweaks and we're contenders right?
Jose has done a good convincing that the squad is trash. It's not. We have seen at other clubs how change in manager can change the fortunes at a club. The same Arsenal who looked pushovers under Wenger in the last couple of years look a more solid unit under Emery. Chelsea looked old and dated in Jose's last season but have looked good under Sarri. Real won three in a row and lose Zidane and Ronaldo, and look ordinary. The idea that we need billions before we can compete is ludicrous.

Yes, we need a dof and the right managerial appointment. However, I don't expect the dof to have an immediate impact. It takes time coming into a new job and devise a new plan to succeed in the long term. In short term, we definitely can make a few changes and look like a decent outfit.

In De Gea, Dalot, Smalling, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Shaw, Fred, Pogba, Herrera, Pererira, Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Sanchez & Lukaku - we have good enough players to do much better than we are currently doing. We just need to make some right additions to the names mentioned to start competing again.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Jardim just rejected a very handsome offer from a Saudi club, just sayin.
Hope he's changed his mind because he's coming to us:D

Why don't the board just try to at least interview him? Sigh..

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Jose has done a good convincing that the squad is trash. It's not. We have seen at other clubs how change in manager can change the fortunes at a club. The same Arsenal who looked pushovers under Wenger in the last couple of years look a more solid unit under Emery. Chelsea looked old and dated in Jose's last season but have looked good under Sarri. Real won three in a row and lose Zidane and Ronaldo, and look ordinary. The idea that we need billions before we can compete is ludicrous.

Yes, we need a dof and the right managerial appointment. However, I don't expect the dof to have an immediate impact. It takes time coming into a new job and devise a new plan to succeed in the long term. In short term, we definitely can make a few changes and look like a decent outfit.

In De Gea, Dalot, Smalling, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Shaw, Fred, Pogba, Herrera, Pererira, Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Sanchez & Lukaku - we have good enough players to do much better than we are currently doing. We just need to make some right additions to the names mentioned to start competing again.
Agreed. These players are capable of much better. And can't call Pogba a "massive flop".