[Poll Added] Mourinho or Woodward, Keep One To Take Us Forward

Who to keep - Mourinho or Woodward?

• Total voters

Fosu-Mens

Ed demoted to take care of signing just noodle sponsorship would do. How many managers are we going to sacrifice to realize the problem is elsewhere.
Don't think he actually is responible for sponsorships. But yeah, get him away from anything footballrelated. If possible get him and the Glazers away from the club.

ti vu

The charade of blaming Woody has to stop, it's just a lame excuse.

When the window started Jose was on about Young and Valencia playing 40 games and spent a inordinate time wooing fecking Fellaini. Woody has been part of signings bigger than likes of Toby and Harry and at that late, we were getting fleeced.

I can't believe Mous spent time bigging up Fellaini and we didn't even tackle fullback and right winger..... Still!

Out with Mou.
Wot?

Ed couldn't get another signing in. Letting Young Valencia Fellaini go then look at this squad depth. You forgot Darmian.

Ashley R1+O

Mourinho. Easy. The CFO needs to step the feck back and let the actual football guys take over the football side, what they say. Do.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Woodward, so that we can sign more attacking coach to take us forward.

mu4c_20le

Unless Ed changes his ways, we'll probably never challenge for the league, whoever is managing the squad.

I'm hoping he hires a Director of Football and then stays the feck away from footballing decisions.
Ed demoted to take care of signing just noodle sponsorship would do. How many managers are we going to sacrifice to realize the problem is elsewhere.
He actually backed his managers every window until now, starting from LVG with players like di maria, and then Jose with the likes of pogba, lukaku, mkhi, all not cheap. And now he wants another list of 30 year olds that will most likely over 50m each? I find it hard to pin the blame on Woodward alone for pulling the plug and saying this has got to stop. Jose is desperate for instant success and if he fails, he will walk away from an old ass squad on inflated wages and waiting for another transition.

buckooo1978

Woodward easily

he's a commercial genius - he just needs to bring in someone who is an expert in the footballing side of things to oversee the manager

the problems we have on the pitch are a result of giving Mourinho total control and backing him heavily up until the latest window

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I don't trust both of them. If we are to replace Mourinho, Woodward needs help from a DoF or We need to find a manager like Sir Alex which is an impossible task these days.

Canagel

Woodward. But on the condition that he sticks to the commercial side. Then get a director of football and hire an attacking coach.

Oluwaplumpie

Ed isn't the problem. He has every right to question why the manager needs more money when he has such an expensively assembled squad. And really, is the Leicester chap better than anything we have here?

Judas

Open to offers
Keep Woodward, just change his role. It's quite simple, and becoming more and more obvious every summer that he has no right to be anywhere near the footballing side of things.

haram

How on earth can anyone choose Woodward. Even if you dont like Mourinho how can you trust Woodward to hire the right person if Jose was to leave? What are his footballing credentials? He hired Moyes and van Gaal. He is set to see Jose leave after not backing him in a summer after a season where we finished 2nd.

He himself does not know what the feck he is doing.

99withaflake

How on earth can anyone choose Woodward. Even if you dont like Mourinho how can you trust Woodward to hire the right person if Jose was to leave? What are his footballing credentials? He hired Moyes and van Gaal. He is set to see Jose leave after not backing him in a summer after a season where we finished 2nd.

He himself does not know what the feck he is doing.
Lots of people would prefer a short term change (Mourinho out) with the same problems reoccurring year after year, rather than a long term change (Woodward out) which may actually give us a chance of sustained competitiveness again.

sugar_kane

Woodward can get fecked sitting in the stands seething like a little Caesar, as though he has nothing to do with the shit show of the last six years or what’s happening right now.

Mourinho is a proven winner in the game, no matter how much of a prick he is I trust him more than Woodward.

He lost a lot of credit when he briefed against Mourinho at the end of the transfer window. Proper dick move and accomplished nothing.

spiriticon

Mourinho to go anytime before anyone at the club. He is a malignant cancer and it's spreading to our very bones.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I'd go with the old favorite "None of the above."

Lebo

Mourinho signings : Grant, Dalot Lindelof, Baily, Matic, Fred, Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku. This list excludes Zlatan and Mikhi. That's almost a complete team in 2 years. Yet we are supposed to believe the executive guy is at fault for not supporting the manager?

Say we appoint a new coach, is he excused from underperforming because the whole team is not his? Mourinho did not inherit dross contrary to popular belief. He inherited a team that got the same points as city after bottling a must win against Southampton and won the FA cup.

Bestietom

Mourinho should go Now before it's too late to make up any ground. We are in regression with him in charge now. He was out thought and out fought by Pochettino. I am sick of his football and it's costing me a fortune going back and forward to see this shite.

C3Pique

Woodward should be moved away from any football related decision making. I don't want to see us sack another manager, but I wouldn't be disappointed if Jose resigns.

They are actively working against each other to the detriment of the club, thats the worst part.

Janson

You could say the same about Mourinho. He’s certainly not doing his job great. Don’t see Potch moaning at Levy. He just got on with it.

Where is the option for neither?
Spurs arent aspiring to win the league. If we're happy with top four like them, then our squad is good enough.

saiconoclast

It seems clear Ed is safe as houses, as long as he brings profit to the owners.

Also seems clear that Ed knows he is safe as houses, and that could be where he's got the idea that he can do whatever the feck he likes, knowing he'll come out victorious in any clash of egos or wills with Mou.

Bestietom

Woodward should be moved away from any football related decision making. I don't want to see us sack another manager, but I wouldn't be disappointed if Jose resigns.

They are actively working against each other to the detriment of the club, thats the worst part.
I agree with you, but I can see Woodward's point in Mourinho just wanting a quick fix and paying over the odds for 30+ year olds. Mourinho's football is now outdated and being found out.

Kapardin

Looking at Shaw's performances, maybe Woodward was right to veto his transfer. I will give him credit for refusing to swap Martial for Toby or Willian as the reports claim. While I detest Martial's lazy attitude, I am not as willing as Jose would be to see him start for a league rival, and especially being swapped for someone like Willian whose output is almost worse.

But not paying whatever it takes for Toby is on Woodward. Spurs didn't need Martial and would have sold Toby if we had met their demands. That might have prevented both the Brighton and Spurs losses in all honesty.

Overall, I stick with Woodward, but only just. He is a major problem as well though.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Both need to go.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Okay I want to have a meltdown.

Woodward is not at fault here.

Since he took over, he managed to sign players of high profile, I never recalled us fans having a go at him bar this year due to all the media circus and people blaming him for our dire form.

When it was LVG, he set out targets and Woodward got them (Martial, Schneiderlin, Depay, Blind, Falcao, DiMaria, Herrera, Shaw, Schweinsteiger are those that I remember).

Those players were LVG players that were bought because they fit with his way of playing (otherwise he wouldn't have got them).
So far, there is nothing with Ed Wooward here.
LVG at the end of the day wasn't up for it and did not play the football we wanted nor got the results required given the investment made.
Our lucky FA Cup win meant us playing Europa League, after two years in charge, that is what we got. The only bright thing was Martial's first season and Rashford's emergence.

Then came the Mourinho appointment. With City getting Guardiola and Liverpool getting Klopp and Chelsea getting Conte, we had to bring a profile of high caliber to match because obviously nobody saw LVG as a right fit to guide us forward, players didn't like his methods and he never managed us properly.

Now, Mourinho comes in, Ed signs Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan, Pogba, now before continuing with the rest, just re-read those again, 3 excellent players of a very high profile that could have gone anywhere but we were able to pull them.
First year in, Mourinho wins the Community shield (Ibra), League Cup (Ibra), Europa League (Mhki and Pogba). It was also the year of love between Mourinho and Rashford, and the dissing of the younger players such as Shaw and Martial (and the saga of the number 9 picked by Ibra etc etc)

Second year in, Mourinho wants more signings with Ibra getting that horrible injury (Unfortunate as I feel one more season of him would have done us good) we had to sign someone.
Mourinho wanted Lukaku, Ed got him despite him being destined to go to Chelsea, again we were able to pull one off. Then Lindelof, touted as one of the best CBs in Portugal, Mourinho asked, Woodward got him.
Then we got Matic, also a Mourinho request, lucky us Chelsea were on LSD when we inquired about him.
The only signing we failed to get was Perisic apparently. I don't think us getting him would have won us the league or improved his to the extent that we could have gone toe-to-toe with City or even progressed past Sevilla.

We started the season okay, all the players were doing their job everyone was happy. Lukaku drops gear for 8 games, nothing is mentioned, Pogba/Mkhitaryan/Martial/Shaw have one bad game, they're out.

Not only that, but Mourinho likes to make sure the public knows, which is complete crap and such a weak thing to do when you are a Manager (not just in football)
Then comes the Christmas period, Mourinho asks for Sanchez, in a swap deal for Mhki (that nice guy with weak mentality remember him?) and all of a sudden Mkhitaryan became the enemy of the club and we were all raving about Sanchez, who again was supposed to be an upgrade on Mkhitaryan. What happens next? Well you know it! Martial is all of a sudden fighting for his place on left side because it turned out to be Alexis' favorite position (awww), I mean the squad was in harmony and everything was going forward for us, why feck it up in the middle of the season just to accomodate the highest-paid player at the club despite not being the best (DDG IS! feckING HELL!)

It was at that period that Mourinho got his extension, the team was doing well, Woodward got him the Sanchez upgrade he wanted:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-financial-results-6-11991096

Just so people who claim Woodward stabbed Mou in the back etc etc. When Mourinho got his fecking extension, we were doing really well and just got Sanchez, happy times everywhere.

Woodward couldn't have perceived that the second period of the season will see us crumble against Sevilla, then our Manager slating the club saying it's nothing new to Manchester United, again in public.
League cup we were humiliated by Bristol City (can't remember), was it Woodward's fault?
FA Cup final, we lost 1-0, a fecking final we lost it to a penalty in the first half, we couldn't score 1 fecking goal during the whole game, 1 fecking goal, 1.

Second year recap, we finished second behind City and we qualified for the CL, that was it. All those fecking players above and this is what we got and a rift in the squad between our most talented profiles (Pogba, Martial, Rashford) and the Manager who failed to see Lukaku's shit of a form but still had it in him to constantly criticize his own players in public. Would Pep/Klopp/Wenger do that? I mean those are your players, they feck up, roast them in the dressing room, why would you go all critical on some players while others get away with it, and in public?

From the above, I still do not see anything wrong with Ed Woodward. He even fecking managed to get us good value on players like Depay, Schneiderlin, Blind to name a few.

Recently Woodward said that regardless of the results, the club can still generate revenue, so the idea of us not having funds to buy players is just bullshit:
http://www.espn.com/soccer/manchest...-make-money-regardless-of-results-ed-woodward

Summer transfers come in, Mourinho asks for more, we get Dalot, touted as the next big thing in defense in Portugal, again we got him despite interest from other clubs, and him being injured already.
We also got Fred, who City were destined to sign him at some point. Few people say no to being coached by Pep in all honestly, still we got him, money or not, Mourinho asked, Woodward got him.

Mourinho asks for a RW, a position that Sanchez could possibly play in?, more defenders, despite us having 10 already: Bailly, Lindelof, Darmian, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Young, Valencia, Shaw, Blind (before being sold), and the defenders we were linked in are not long term solutions, just a patch given their age. 10 defenders and we want more? How about we ship some of them out before increasing our wage bill and paying 12 defenders so 3-4 of them can play?

Did we do that? No we did not. We did not even look at giving the youngsters a chance, we just loaned them out again (Tuanzebe and TFM). Now this kind of decision is not taken by Woodward, it is down to Mourinho.
Woodward obviously is reluctant to proceed because the signings we made during the second year didn't turn up and the evidence is us winning feck all, rifts and criticism of both players AND club by the Manager

Why would we invest more then there are rifts between the manager and players and that are going public? At the end of the day when this happens, it's always the manager who gets the boot. Mou had this at Chelsea, Conte too, when you lose your dressing room it does not matter who you are anymore. Why would we pay 70-90 mil to get defenders when the system itself is not working?
When the relationship between our most valuable assets and the manager is frail? When the manager goes berzerk on the players, club and management just because he cannot accept that his tactics and the signings he made were not good enough?
Is it Woodward's fault that Lukaku cant control a fecking ball for 75 mil? That he can't finish properly? That he misses easy chances?
Is it Woodward's fault that Lindelof is not good in physical battles?
Is it Woodward's fault that Bailly is not good in the air?
Is it Woodward's fault for Pobga not turning up or Martial or Rashford?
Is it Woodward fault for Sanchez not turning up the player we were supposed to see?
Is it Woodward's fault that players like Fellaini get a contract extension despite doing feck all? Just because he's the good soldier. Just show me how much of an impact Fellaini had for us, how many times his presence won us games. He's just the hoof-ball option when everything goes wrong, which is quite frequent.

All the above are signings picked by Mourinho, so people should fecking have a reality check, I seriously can't believe we can hold Woodward at fault when this nagging fecker constantly moans about his own players in public.
In preseason, he was nagging that he this is not his team, he wants more signings, the squad will struggle etc etc. So say we got Alderweireld or Boateng or Godin, would have this changed the result against Brighton? Would Pogba have played better? Would Rom have finished his chances? We conceded a goal that started with a pass going between Mata's legs, then the cross going through Bailly's legs till it reached Murray.

Second goal, we conceded a corner, we failed to clear the ball 3 times in our own box. We conceded a penalty due to DDG's poor pass to Fred (I suggest you watch where Perreira and Pogba were at the moment Fred received the ball)
This is all the players' fault so far. Second half comes in, we barely improved, is that Woodward's fault? Jose should get the best out of his players, motivate them, have better tactics, I mean Brighton pressed us high, we should have thought of how to get out of this in the second half, we didnt, the score was 3-2 but we scored a fecking penalty at the death! when the game was already lost!

The players did not turn up but it is the job of the manager to lift them back up. How many times have we read how SAF used to manage the players, we heard this from top players who played for our club even.

Mourinho does not deserve any single penny until he wins back the dressing room and shows his players that he believes in them, which is quite hard given all what has been said and all that has happened in the public.

If Woodward does want to sack him, it is not a matter of Yes/No. He sacked LVG right after winning the only trophy for us, so wielding the axe is not the issue here but having harmony in the squad is what the management wants before giving more funds to his nagging fecker,

Mourinho needs to shut the hell up, put an arm around his players and motivate them, have them more focused and try to give us a good season because we fecking deserve it, otherwise he can feck right off, I am interested to see which club will get him after all this fiasco, for us any manager would welcome the idea to coach our club.

Bestofthebest

In the situation that Utd find themselves the first casualty will always be the manager. This is simply because the board are not able to sack the players and they sure as hell are not going to sack themselves. The next two games, both away from home, are going to be immense in terms of getting a result. Anything less than a win and a draw will probably mean the end for Jose and then the problem will be who to appoint. I can only see a repitition of the mistakes already made over the last few years of appointing a manager and expecting a return to winning ways and so on ad infinitum until we get lucky. The problem is that we are unable to sell some players because nobody wants them ( unless they come for free ) and the board will stop backing the incumbent manager when they fail to come up to expectations in terms of financial outlay and results on the pitch. Somehow this tragic cycle needs to be broken but how to do so is a real conundrum. I foresee a number of years in the wilderness before this changes.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Mourinho.

I'm not at all sure about him but it's beyond obvious where the route of the problem is.

Regardless of who the manager is, they're not going to succeed with the way the club is run.

For all the whining about Jose and from Jose, if Woodward had not decided he knew better than him and simply signed one of the centre backs he asked for, we would currently be on 7-9 points.

City and Liverpool both play the type of football people would be happy for United to play. Here's the problem...they have both spent hundreds of millions of pounds on improving their defence in order to play in that way and be successful at it. Both on players who evidently Woodward would refuse to sign, because they don't fit his self crea

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Mourinho.

I'm not at all sure about him but it's beyond obvious where the route of the problem is.

Regardless of who the manager is, they're not going to succeed with the way the club is run.

For all the whining about Jose and from Jose, if Woodward had not decided he knew better than him and simply signed one of the centre backs he asked for, we would currently be on 7-9 points.

City and Liverpool both play the type of football people would be happy for United to play. Here's the problem...they have both spent hundreds of millions of pounds on improving their defence in order to play in that way and be successful at it. Both on players who evidently Woodward would refuse to sign, because they don't fit his self crea
FFS really? 7-9 points? We scored two penalties in two games, our midfield played shit and our striker missed sitters as usual. Go watch the brighton game and watch the goals conceded and watch our fecking reaction as a team, it was nonexistent, same last night, Mourinho either gets his shit together or leaves, he got the two CBs he asked for so shut the hell up.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Both are at a point now where it should be apparent they can't take the club further.

Woodward ought to resign at the same time he sacks Mourinho, but he won't.

Coops73

Don't think he actually is responible for sponsorships. But yeah, get him away from anything footballrelated. If possible get him and the Glazers away from the club.
This, for me, is the only way this club will move forward but it ain’t happening any time soon.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Okay I want to have a meltdown.

Woodward is not at fault here.

Since he took over, he managed to sign players of high profile, I never recalled us fans having a go at him bar this year due to all the media circus and people blaming him for our dire form.
I was going to read through but this straight away is completely inaccurate.

People have had a go at him countless times. The first of which being right at the start of the very first season where he took over from Gill, when he paid over the odds for Fellaini, and failed to bring in any of the other players we needed.

At the moment we have a situation where he has not signed the profile of player the manager asked for, and then come out and actually told the press that this was through choice rather than the players not being possible to sign. Lets ignore the fact that mouthing to the press about this is a stupid thing to do in ANY situation and just think for a second what the end result of this is...if we had signed the profile of player the manager had asked for, we would more than likely currently be on 6-9 points, instead of 3, as it has been very clear in our last two games that our centre backs are costing us points. So straight away, it is impossible to absolve Woodward of any blame. He has chosen to keep Jose as manager, and then he has chosen to not sign the players Jose has asked for, and as a result we have lost games. You can blame Jose for that too, but it just isn't possible to completely take the blame away from Woodward, as the fact Jose is still here, and hasn't got the centre back he asked for, are both down to Woodward.

He has also allowed half of our squad to run their contracts down to the final year. What is the plan here if we finish 7th for example, and a majority of them decide they don't want to sign a new contract? It's all well and good saying the players aren't all that...but this is what 7-8 players? Plus De Gea. It would be impossible to expect ANY manager to be successful the next season if they immediately are faced with losing a third of the players and having to focus on just getting enough new ones in to have a squad. again, this isn't down to Jose, or LVG, or any individual player or manager. It is Woodward's job.

The fact is, we are on our third manager since Woodward took charge, and Mourinho is in the same position LVG was, and he was in the same position Moyes was, where regardless of whether they are good enough, they are fighting to succeed in spite of Woodward either not signing players they said they needed, or signing players they never asked for. LVG in his first season moaned constantly about the state the club left his squad in after the transfer window. He was left trying to fit three big name strikers into the same team and not having a midfield to play behind them. Is this his fault?

Even if you do ignore all this and come up with a strange scenario where the manager is responsible for how the entire club is run, despite Woodward TELLING you this is not the case through his press briefs, you are still left to address the fact that Woodward has appointed three manager sin a row who you are then left with no choice but to say, were the wrong man for the job. If a manager signs three different players in the same position, each to replace the last, and even after that the player he has isn't good enough, is he not to blame?

It is impossible at this point not to blame Woodward, because whatever spin you put on it, you get to a stage where the problem/buck is clearly no longer stopping at the manager.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Both are at a point now where it should be apparent they can't take the club further.

Woodward ought to resign at the same time he sacks Mourinho, but he won't.
Really, Woodward should be sacked and then the club should decide if they want to actually back Jose, or sack him too...but you are correct that this is not what will happen.

My guess is Jose will eventually go. The last two games might turn into a blip or something more, but either way he will go eventually. Then the club will appoint someone else, and in a couple of years time we will be in the exact same position again.

It's all well and good expecting attacking football AND results. City and Liverpool are the only two teams doing this and they have both spent hundreds of millions of pounds on defenders, goalkeepers etc. in order to allow them to play this way. We've signed a couple of young players/gambles and stuck with a group of defenders that the last manager often preferred to play midfielders or random youth team players instead of...and it's an inescapable fact that Mourinho has told the club to do something about this, as he has moaned about it to the media about 500 times.

MattyB1986

United need a director of football if Ed stays, he's a brilliant commercial/businessman but seems inadequate on the football side of things. Jose needs to go, I never wanted him near our football club with his track record of imploding at a time United needed stability was daft to say the least, not just the fact we sacked LvG for being boring and then hired the man the phrase 'park the bus' was coined after.

United are in a total mess from top to bottom. No identity and no plan on identifying areas of improvement in terms of strengthening the squad, just throw money willy nilly without any sort of plan has been the way we've been ran for a few years now.

Skåre Willoch

Well, the stock is up 25% since August, so Woodward is definitely staying! :rolleyes:

He should be excluded from the football side of the business, though. A DoF is the way to go, let Woodie deal with noodles and tractors.

steffyr2

Mourinho has been done a long time ago... woodward is still learning the ropes especially without SAF and his guys doing most of the work. Nothing has changed for me.. this is jose's last season unless he miraculously wins the league or cl.
Who are these people? I can find the Martial lovers, the Barca lovers with an endless grudge, who are the rest?

steffyr2

Woodward doesnt need to go. He can still focus on the sponsorships. But him having control over signings and negotiations for that is where he needs help.
Woodward has the worst problem, he doesn't know what he doesn't know. And apparently years of problems resulting from his actions hasn't given him a clue.