[Poll Added] Mourinho or Woodward, Keep One To Take Us Forward

Who to keep - Mourinho or Woodward?

• Total voters

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Woody is doing more damage to the club (footballing wise) in the long run then Mourinho is... so if I had to pick one to go it'd be Woody (he can obviously do all his sponsorship stuff still).

Though even without Woody, Jose still should go.... I don't think he is able to wrestle back a situation like the one we are in.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
I was going to read through but this straight away is completely inaccurate.

People have had a go at him countless times. The first of which being right at the start of the very first season where he took over from Gill, when he paid over the odds for Fellaini, and failed to bring in any of the other players we needed.

At the moment we have a situation where he has not signed the profile of player the manager asked for, and then come out and actually told the press that this was through choice rather than the players not being possible to sign. Lets ignore the fact that mouthing to the press about this is a stupid thing to do in ANY situation and just think for a second what the end result of this is...if we had signed the profile of player the manager had asked for, we would more than likely currently be on 6-9 points, instead of 3, as it has been very clear in our last two games that our centre backs are costing us points. So straight away, it is impossible to absolve Woodward of any blame. He has chosen to keep Jose as manager, and then he has chosen to not sign the players Jose has asked for, and as a result we have lost games. You can blame Jose for that too, but it just isn't possible to completely take the blame away from Woodward, as the fact Jose is still here, and hasn't got the centre back he asked for, are both down to Woodward.

He has also allowed half of our squad to run their contracts down to the final year. What is the plan here if we finish 7th for example, and a majority of them decide they don't want to sign a new contract? It's all well and good saying the players aren't all that...but this is what 7-8 players? Plus De Gea. It would be impossible to expect ANY manager to be successful the next season if they immediately are faced with losing a third of the players and having to focus on just getting enough new ones in to have a squad. again, this isn't down to Jose, or LVG, or any individual player or manager. It is Woodward's job.

The fact is, we are on our third manager since Woodward took charge, and Mourinho is in the same position LVG was, and he was in the same position Moyes was, where regardless of whether they are good enough, they are fighting to succeed in spite of Woodward either not signing players they said they needed, or signing players they never asked for. LVG in his first season moaned constantly about the state the club left his squad in after the transfer window. He was left trying to fit three big name strikers into the same team and not having a midfield to play behind them. Is this his fault?

Even if you do ignore all this and come up with a strange scenario where the manager is responsible for how the entire club is run, despite Woodward TELLING you this is not the case through his press briefs, you are still left to address the fact that Woodward has appointed three manager sin a row who you are then left with no choice but to say, were the wrong man for the job. If a manager signs three different players in the same position, each to replace the last, and even after that the player he has isn't good enough, is he not to blame?

It is impossible at this point not to blame Woodward, because whatever spin you put on it, you get to a stage where the problem/buck is clearly no longer stopping at the manager.

Okay so if he paid over the odds for Fellaini, a transfer-deadline day signing that Moyes wanted of course, it makes him a bad director? Just look at the list of players he was able to get for our fecking managers.
The defensive situation is as follows: Mourinho asked for Bailly and Lindelof, yet when both played, he opted back for Smalling and Jones. What does Woodward have to do with this?

Did Bailly/Lindelof partnership get enough time? No it did not, so how can we judge them when they haven't played regularly together?

Now moving forward to the contract situation, let's see the players contract situations:

Player Date of Birth (Age) Nat. End of contract Contract option Market value

David de Gea
Goalkeeper
Nov 7, 1990 (27)
30.06.2019 Option for a further year 70,00 Mill. €

Anthony Martial
Left Winger
Dec 5, 1995 (22)

30.06.2019 Option for a further year 65,00 Mill. €

Juan Mata
Attacking Midfield
Apr 28, 1988 (30)
30.06.2019 - 30,00 Mill. €

Ander Herrera
Central Midfield
Aug 14, 1989 (29)
30.06.2019 - 30,00 Mill. €

Phil Jones
Centre-Back
Feb 21, 1992 (26)
30.06.2019 - 20,00 Mill. €

Chris Smalling
Centre-Back
Nov 22, 1989 (28)
30.06.2019 - 18,00 Mill. €

Luke Shaw
Left-Back
Jul 12, 1995 (23)
30.06.2019 - 15,00 Mill. €

Matteo Darmian
Right-Back
Dec 2, 1989 (28)
30.06.2019 Option for a further year 10,00 Mill. €

Antonio Valencia
Right-Back
Aug 4, 1985 (33)
30.06.2019 Option for a further year 8,00 Mill. €

Ashley Young
Left Midfield
Jul 9, 1985 (33)

30.06.2019 - 7,00 Mill. €

Andreas Pereira
Attacking Midfield
Jan 1, 1996 (22)

30.06.2019 both parties 1 year 6,00 Mill. €

Of the players above, the only ones worth looking at are DDG, Martial, Perreira/Luke Shaw (if this season works for them and I hope it does)

So what is your point? How do you expect us to sell them if there are no buyers, Ash and Valencia in their 30s, declining. Chris and Phil have been here since SAF days and still failed to nail down those CB spots, Mata on the decline for a while.

And even if we are on our third manager, you think it is easy to manage the biggest club in world football? You think it's easy to take the mantle from Sir Alex Ferguson? The media scrutinized SAF when things didn't work for him but did have meltdowns and attack his own players publicly? Did he slate the club?

You are talking as if it's a shame to change managers who cannot take the club forward, no it is not. All the clubs have do it. We deserve to see our team playing well and we all want our team to be fecking playing well.The manager's job is to do that otherwise he can feck right off. If he really believes this squad is not enough then let him leave, let him go elsewhere I am sure all clubs are wanking knowing that Mourinho might be available soon!

ash_86

He actually backed his managers every window until now, starting from LVG with players like di maria, and then Jose with the likes of pogba, lukaku, mkhi, all not cheap. And now he wants another list of 30 year olds that will most likely over 50m each? I find it hard to pin the blame on Woodward alone for pulling the plug and saying this has got to stop. Jose is desperate for instant success and if he fails, he will walk away from an old ass squad on inflated wages and waiting for another transition.
We as fans are more desperate for instant success than Jose. For all the investments we finished 2nd last season only behind ones who have spent more. There was a reason the manager desperately wanted a CB in the window and that was evident yesterday. The schoolboy error looks bad more i watch it. 75% of players Jose bought are under age of 26, so where is this notion of whole team over 30 coming from?

Fosu-Mens

This, for me, is the only way this club will move forward but it ain’t happening any time soon.
Unless we become financially unstable and they float us on the market again.

Or if some of the former players starts to speak up against the ownership of this club and gets the matchfans hostile towards the Glazers/Woodward. But they never do. Almost like they had a clause in their contract barring them from speaking about the owners.

Dutchjerry

Managers (usually) are short-term employees, directors are long term. Woodward's actions imply therefore this is Mou's last season. Why invest any more in players Mou wants if he is gone next year? Besides that, he wanted a CB, but what about Bailly and Lindelof? He bought them for big money, but now he wanted to spend another 80 million on one CB. I understand Woodward in this completely, also because he said the players Mou wanted were not worth that kind of money. He wanted to make an exception for Godin, but he didn't want to come and he named Varane as an example of a player he was willing to pay for, because of his age.

Camilo

I think we should just go the full hog and change this to a Liverpool supporters forum.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
To be fair Ed had allowed us spending a lot of money buying players in recent years, so you can't blame him for not spending much this time.

But his choice of appointing managers though...

UDontMessWith24

I envy those not familiar with the model of American sports ownership that is destroying some of the leagues over here, but over here as long as the money is flowing and they can worship their superstars on social media, everyone seems to be happy.

Let me clue everyone with wool over their eyes in on something very important. Woodward's job is to win enough to keep income above cost of income, with everything else being deemed unnecessary overhead. Aldeveireld wasn't signed because that particular buy didn't meet the above criteria. The "people" running this club are rusty, disease ridden needles slowly draining blood.

Sylar

Managers (usually) are short-term employees, directors are long term. Woodward's actions imply therefore this is Mou's last season. Why invest any more in players Mou wants if he is gone next year? Besides that, he wanted a CB, but what about Bailly and Lindelof? He bought them for big money, but now he wanted to spend another 80 million on one CB. I understand Woodward in this completely, also because he said the players Mou wanted were not worth that kind of money. He wanted to make an exception for Godin, but he didn't want to come and he named Varane as an example of a player he was willing to pay for, because of his age.
His actions were to give him an extension in January and then not back him in June/July. Its baffling.

If he didnt want Jose, then why even bring Fred for him (who the next manager may not want or like). Unless we are saying after 2 years of an initial 3 year plan, (and 5 year into Eds charge), we are deciding this year of all, to now go into an approach where we are just buying players and will get a coach to make them work.

But its an odd way to do it, cos if we dont want to fire Jose cos we dont want to pay him compensation, then we have to wait it out for 2 years. But what happens if at the end of those 2 years we are struggling to make 4th and cant get a manager that we want?
Its all a mess unfortunately.

Revan

Assumptionman
Mourinho out, Woodward to not have anything to do with footballing decisions. Essentially, the DoF, manager and him to report directly to owners.

I think this is the best way forward.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Managers (usually) are short-term employees, directors are long term. Woodward's actions imply therefore this is Mou's last season. Why invest any more in players Mou wants if he is gone next year?
If that is the logic he should have sacked him and brought in someone new. What he should not do is is give him an extension in January and then tell him in July that he doesn't really believe in his project and strategy.

Erebus

What needs to happen is they stick to their respective strenghts. It could start by Woodward keepong out of transfers apart from negotiations. Decisions about who should be bought should be the managers. Getting them should be the Chief Execs. Raising the cash to fund them should be the Chief Execs. When the mananger start dictating what sponsorship deals the club should have, then the Chief Executive has a right to demand who the manager signs. If you've not got confidence in the manager sack him - don't give him a new contract and then not accept his targets. So I'd keep both but make them work to their strengths instead of against each other. Cos if you replace the manager with whoever, and Woodward behaves like he has this last transfer session, the new manager will soon be off as well.

Cloud7

Hasn’t Joel Glazer been taking a more vested interest in the club since uncle Malc kicked the bucket? These decisions that Woody makes will not be solely his, I’m fairly sure he has to run them by other members of the management. Once we get a new manager in, and a DOF to take the burden of matters like transfers away from woody, we’ll be fine.

On the other hand, every day that passes is one day closer to Mourinho leaving, and I for one can’t wait.

Cloud7

Keep both and get a DOF. Also, buy some patience for 70% of this fickle fanbase because otherwise we'll turn into another Chelsea.
You mean the most successful English club over the last ten years? Yeah, wouldn’t want to turn into them at all would we :rolleyes:

buchansleftleg

Woodward should go but only if he is replaced by a credible figure rather than another stuffed shirt for the Glazers.

For the people that say Jose has had enough time/bought enough players then can they name a period of 2 years when Fergie picked an immaculate set of signings with no duds?

For those that say the players won't play for Jose then look at Shaw's performance. I thought he was a goner and he has played his heart out for the manager, not Woodward. Maybe some other players should listen to Jose rather than bleat to their agent.

You back the manager. Jose is for the first time trying to build a dynasty rather than climb the pole. This job really means a lot to him. Given how poorly the club have backed him I'm surprised he hasn't left already.

He needs support. He has earned it.

jmaggio

I think we should just go the full hog and change this to a Liverpool supporters forum.
Honestly, it seems like there are more scouse posters than United ones these days, and some of the “united” posters are suspiciously hysterical and very pro Klopp. The Klopp thread is an embarrasing circle jerk , considering it exists on a Manchester United forum. Goes beyond objectivity IMO

Ban

Ed should be kicked out of the club. He has no intention in appointing DOF I bet. We'll dilly dally around, pretending to be top dogs while rivals go far away from us. We'll become a has been club in a few years.