Poll: Does it make sense to tie Pogba down to a new long term contract?

Should we give Pogba a new contract?

• Yes

Votes: 107 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 640 85.7%

• Total voters

Stevondo8

This is the problem we have under the current ownership. We over pay and we under sell thats the only consistent thing they have done in their entire ownership.

I don't believe theres no other club who would take him.
Real Madrid have always held an interest (before anyone says they cant afford him im sure they can after lodging a near 200m bid for Mbappe in his last year at PSG) PSG would take him as would Juventus.
Real Madrid will go after Mbappe on a free instead of Pogba imo. I don’t think the board at Madrid were interested in Pogba, just Zidane.

I don't see us giving Pogba a new contract and then few months later PSG bidding for him. If PSG want him they would say, don't sign a new deal and we will give you 400k wages.

No club in their right frame would let Pogba sign a new contract then sign him in the summer. it just won't happen.
agreed, I didn’t mean psg buying him, just offering him a contract at a wage level he’d accept.

redmanx

Do you think its wise to let a player who we could possibly get 50/60m for if we signed him to a new contract?

Don't know why theres fans on here who think its ok to let a £100m player leave on a free, when we could sell that player (after agreeing him to a new contract) in the summer or swapping him for a player we want. This logic baffles me!
But why would you want a player who has failed to perform with any level of consistency, who doesnt seem to care, has allowed his agent to ridicule and desparage United and who really, when all is said and done, doesnt want to play for United in the first place, to sign a new contract?

romufc

Real Madrid will go after Mbappe on a free instead of Pogba imo. I don’t think the board at Madrid were interested in Pogba, just Zidane.

agreed, I didn’t mean psg buying him, just offering him a contract at a wage level he’d accept.
Exactly, also we have seen in the past when Real want a player, they get the player. The fact that even on a free they might not get Pogba shows how much they actually want him.

I agree on PSG, they are the only ones who I think will offer him those wages he wants.

cyril C

It only make sense if we are going to sell him the following season after a new contract. But at 400K, he is not that attractive, so might as well bite the bullet and wish him luck in Spain.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I've been a Pogba fan all along despite his occasional dull performances. However, this last match vs Atalanta has changed my mind and I think we should sell in January if we can. He was well rested, supposedly healthy, and the team needed him to step up, the result was a 2 out of 10 performance IMO. He also disappeared for periods in the match and was deservedly subbed.

I'm done with him just as I was done with Martial earlier this season.

redmanx

I've been a Pogba fan all along despite his occasional dull performances. However, this last match vs Atalanta has changed my mind and I think we should sell in January if we can. He was well rested, supposedly healthy, and the team needed him to step up, the result was a 2 out of 10 performance IMO. He also disappeared for periods in the match and was deservedly subbed.

Im with you re Martial too, another waste of space.

wolvored

Do you think its wise to let a player who we could possibly get 50/60m for if we signed him to a new contract?

Don't know why theres fans on here who think its ok to let a £100m player leave on a free, when we could sell that player (after agreeing him to a new contract) in the summer or swapping him for a player we want. This logic baffles me!
Who is going to pay 50/60m for him when if they are interested would have already told him to not sign here, and get a big signing on bonus off them in the summer.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think Ole made a mistake when he took over as manager by not further bringing Pogba back onside and making him a real part of the leadership group, thereby completing his rehabilitation after the falling out with Mourinho.

Pogba looked like one of United’s best players during his first season in 16/17. He regressed a little in 17/18, but still looked a key player when the whole team was playing poorly and overachieving. Mourinho then publicly stripped him of any captaincy role once the incredibly self destructive streak began at the start of 18/19. Pogba was excellent under Solskjaer and I assumed at that point things would continue to trend upwards. It's always felt as if Pogba has continued to be held at arm's length though, treated as another playing passing through the club, rather than be made one of our core.

From everything we know, Pogba seems to be a well respected and influential member of the dressing room. I wonder how he felt seeing Maguire just come in and quickly be made captain. I wonder how he felt seeing Bruno come in, have the rest of the midfield built to provide him a platform, and have him essentially become the de facto vice captain. I would be surprised if he didn't feel slighted. I believe that for any team to get the most out of Paul Pogba, you need to make him one of your pillars and thrust responsibility onto him. For France, he plays as if he has that accountability for the overall performance of the team and that I feel stems from the status bestowed on him from the management relative to the rest of the squad. That's not really happened at United. Manchester United felt more like Paul Pogba's team under Mourinho, than it does now where Maguire and Bruno are afforded that status.

I really like Pogba and he'd be one of United's key players for me. I thought he was a great signing at the time and I would have bought players to complement him. It's always felt as United bought Pogba expecting him to to become the midfield, rather than acquiring complimentary players and honing them into a unit. Nobody in our squad, or really in the PL, has the same weight of expectation on them to be such an all-round midfielder, judged on goals, chance creation, workrate and defensive contributions.

Offering him a mega contract is pointless unless he is going to be given the accordant status within the squad, becoming one of our long-term leaders and captains, and we are going to have a team that would allow him to naturally flourish either as a mezzala in a 4-3-3. Neither of those things looks like happening, so I cannot understand why you would pay him £500,000 per week, and presumably give him and his agent a signing-on fee of tens of millions of pounds too. I can't help but feel like we've pissed away his best years.

Maticmaker

All through his teenage years, into his early twenties even Pogba had the capacity for greatness, technical ability, sheer physical presence and his insight, but something lacking in his make up, he never really developed or matured and now he's just become too high maintenance.

Paul's latest display (until he got pulled) against Atalanta reminded me of a grumpy kid, complaining and kicking the ground and unable to focus. For me he is not at heart a team player, he does what he wants to do, when it suits. OK, I admit when he's in the mood he can be unplayable, but most of the time he's not.
Ole's got to put on his thinking cap and start again, with no Pogba.

siw2007

Not worth signing him on, best for both parties if he is let go. He might do better somewhere else but we have spent the best part of 5 years asking ourselves how to get the best out of him and have never found the answer, at this point I highly doubt we will. I think letting him go will be a huge weight off our shoulders and can start finding better tactical solutions without trying to fit him in. I will never doubt he’s and extremely talented player though.

Pogba looked like one of United’s best players during his first season in 16/17. He regressed a little in 17/18, but still looked a key player when the whole team was playing poorly and overachieving. Mourinho then publicly stripped him of any captaincy role once the incredibly self destructive streak began at the start of 18/19. Pogba was excellent under Solskjaer and I assumed at that point things would continue to trend upwards. It's always felt as if Pogba has continued to be held at arm's length though, treated as another playing passing through the club, rather than be made one of our core.
This is a much more reasonable assessment of Pogba's career here than we're seeing from most corners at the moment (and I can see why tbf, he hasn't come anywhere near his 2016-19 level in these last two seasons).

But on the point of Ole not doing more to make him part of the core of the team, I'm almost certain that has to do with Pogba's various injury and fitness issues since 2019 - he was constantly injured in 19/20, out for virtually the entire first half of the season, came back for that one game against Watford, then sat out again until after the Covid break. Then he caught Covid himself at the start of 20/21, spent a few games looking completely knackered, then got injured again against Everton in February.

Think it's fair to say Solskjaer has managed him quite well overall. Pogba's pretty much always played when he's been fit, the main problem is that he hasn't been consistently fit for a while now and in that time he's been out, Fernandes has established himself as our centerpiece. And Solskjaer has also had nothing but praise for him in public, even with Raiola constantly mouthing off.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I don't think I can remember any other player in history whose reputation was boosted as much by a World Cup win as Pogba.

Normally, the World Cup is seen as a nice bonus to the resume of already great players, not the single main attraction.

Not to mention the endless list of average players who had a terrific World Cup careers. Klose was never anything special was he?
This is a good take. Pogba is definitely a talented player, but he is so horribly inconsistent and his world cup credentials are taken so out of proportion that you'd think he is way more valuable than he actually is

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
This is a good take. Pogba is definitely a talented player, but he is so horribly inconsistent and his world cup credentials are taken so out of proportion that you'd think he is way more valuable than he actually is
Its only seven or eight games as well, the euros or world cup. He cannot do it over a 55 game season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think this poll reflects the market reality in a way. There have been no clubs busting down the door to try to prise him away and it seems Raiola, for all his bravado, has encouraged no action throughout his stay here. If reports are to be believed, we were (are) thinking of doubling Maguire's wages, which is quite frankly ludicrous, and we've gifted major contracts to average players. So it's not surprising that Raiola thinks he can get 400K a week for Pogba and that the club (Woodward/Judge) is more than happy to go along with that. I cannot believe he'd get parity elsewhere, though he might get a nice signing on bonus, but he'd get that at United too and Raiola.

If he was being offered a more real-world contract, like 200K it would be a different story, as he wouldn't be a major problem for an incoming manager if he wants to shift him or not guarantee him a first XI spot.

This seems to me like the de Gea deal, the Sanchez deal, the Rooney deal. Even the Schweinsteiger deal (was rumoured to be on 230K at the time here).

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think most people have a higher opinion of Pogba from what he was doing pre-World Cup than having won a World Cup.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
This is a much more reasonable assessment of Pogba's career here than we're seeing from most corners at the moment (and I can see why tbf, he hasn't come anywhere near his 2016-19 level in these last two seasons).

But on the point of Ole not doing more to make him part of the core of the team, I'm almost certain that has to do with Pogba's various injury and fitness issues since 2019 - he was constantly injured in 19/20, out for virtually the entire first half of the season, came back for that one game against Watford, then sat out again until after the Covid break. Then he caught Covid himself at the start of 20/21, spent a few games looking completely knackered, then got injured again against Everton in February.

Think it's fair to say Solskjaer has managed him quite well overall. Pogba's pretty much always played when he's been fit, the main problem is that he hasn't been consistently fit for a while now and in that time he's been out, Fernandes has established himself as our centerpiece. And Solskjaer has also had nothing but praise for him in public, even with Raiola constantly mouthing off.
You make some fair points, but what has surprised me a little is that not at any stage has Pogba really felt like one of Ole’s lieutenants. He’s worn the armband a couple of times, but has never really been involved in the club captaincy again. Maguire and Bruno came in supplanting him and he’s never been afforded the same status in the squad. I think I’d feel slighted if I were him.

I think the level of success Pogba has next will correlate with the position he’s afforded in the squad. If he plays for a manager elsewhere who makes him one of senior untouchables, over time bestowing some level of club captaincy on him, I think you will see a Pogba who takes far greater accountability for his team.

redmanx

You make some fair points, but what has surprised me a little is that not at any stage has Pogba really felt like one of Ole’s lieutenants. He’s worn the armband a couple of times, but has never really been involved in the club captaincy again. Maguire and Bruno came in supplanting him and he’s never been afforded the same status in the squad. I think I’d feel slighted if I were him.

I think the level of success Pogba has next will correlate with the position he’s afforded in the squad. If he plays for a manager elsewhere who makes him one of senior untouchables, over time bestowing some level of club captaincy on him, I think you will see a Pogba who takes far greater accountability for his team.
And pigs might fly.

SER19

Wow 89% say no to new deal. Glad so many want to see the back of him. Flop

Siezard

Can't blame Pogba. The goals were obviously caused by the defence. Otherwise, United would have won 2-0.

redmanx

Wow 89% say no to new deal. Glad so many want to see the back of him. Flop
Im just surprized it wasnt more! Pogba is a fantastic player, when he feels like it, but thats no good for a season consisting of as many matches as in England; no team can afford to carry players who only perform well in a handful of matches.

Noc-Z

ffs
He is slow, lethargic, cumbersome, clumsy and lacking focus, drive and determination. I could go on, but to me, it's best to let him go even on a free. I'd rather not waste the money on his wages and bring in someone with the engine that we need.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Yeah, he deserves consideration to be captain, it's not like he has openly said he wants out from the club and his brother and agent talking about how he deserves to go to a better club :houllier:

redmanx

He is slow, lethargic, cumbersome, clumsy and lacking focus, drive and determination. I could go on, but to me, it's best to let him go even on a free. I'd rather not waste the money on his wages and bring in someone with the engine that we need.
And the desire.

redmanx

Yeah, he deserves consideration to be captain, it's not like he has openly said he wants out from the club and his brother and agent talking about how he deserves to go to a better club :houllier:
Why does Pogba deserve to be captain? And yes, it was his brother and agent mouthing off but they are just mouth pieces for him; he has never come out and refuted their claims. Making Pogba captain would be like hiring somebody to paint your house only for him to get fed up with it and quit.

redmanx

His time, at Manchetsre Utd.

Has Man Utd. ever had a club captain with blue hair, previously?
I dont give a damn about Pogbas hair colour, Im only interested in what he does on the pitch, and he doesnt do anywhere near enoough.

el3mel

I swear he gets this kind of injury almost every season.

Waste of money and time. Honestly can be considered one of the worst signings of post Fergie era considering the money spent and expectations.

RooneyLegend

Nope, let the poor sod go. We've wasted enough of his career with a toxic combination of incompetent coaches and a substandard supporting cast. Have a feeling he'll go back to Turin and get back to winning titles and competing for the CL.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Nope, let the poor sod go. We've wasted enough of his career with a toxic combination of incompetent coaches and a substandard supporting cast. Have a feeling he'll go back to Turin and get back to winning titles and competing for the CL.
Seriously? 300k a week for turning up when he feels like it… all the while making it clear he wants out somewhere else…and for you it is “poor Pogba” just wow!
So in your world we have failed Pogba and we are not worthy of his presence or his making an effort unless he is winning titles all the time?
The absolute minimum should be him being professional and applying himself 100% in games doing a job most of us would do anything to do.

RooneyLegend

Seriously? 300k a week for turning up when he feels like it… all the while making it clear he wants out somewhere else…and for you it is “poor Pogba” just wow!
So in your world we have failed Pogba and we are not worthy of his presence or his making an effort unless he is winning titles all the time?
The absolute minimum should be him being professional and applying himself 100% in games doing a job most of us would do anything to do.
Of course we have failed Pogba, same way we have failed all the players worthy of the shirt. We'll continue to do so until we make big changes to the the coaching department and a few more adjustments to the squad.

He is very professional by all accounts and give his all. However he does have limitations and it's up to a team to compensate for them. He makes an effort, show some numbers that show him not making an effort. As we've seen done for countless players of amazing talent over the years.

We pay a guy 300k and then play a system he doesn't quite fit in. Not only doesnt he fit into the system, but the system in itself is also a poor coached on. Then to top it off we play him with a group of substandard players who either can't do anything with the ball or plain simply hide from it. It's truly amazing what we've achieved here. The highest level of incompetence.

We haven't had a consistent outfield player in the last 7 years and I wonder why that is.

redmanx

Of course we have failed Pogba, same way we have failed all the players worthy of the shirt. We'll continue to do so until we make big changes to the the coaching department and a few more adjustments to the squad.

He is very professional by all accounts and give his all. However he does have limitations and it's up to a team to compensate for them. He makes an effort, show some numbers that show him not making an effort. As we've seen done for countless players of amazing talent over the years.

We pay a guy 300k and then play a system he doesn't quite fit in. Not only doesnt he fit into the system, but the system in itself is also a poor coached on. Then to top it off we play him with a group of substandard players who either can't do anything with the ball or plain simply hide from it. It's truly amazing what we've achieved here. The highest level of incompetence.

We haven't had a consistent outfield player in the last 7 years and I wonder why that is.
Dont you think that, perhaps, a player on that sort of money should be able to adapt his game? Ive no doubt Pogba could so...if he wanted to. But he wants to be the centre of attention, the main man; he doesnt seem to think adapting his game, or caring, or giving 100%, chasing back, running off the ball or doing all those other things expected of a top player ie trying, is enough; and nor, it seems is having the priviledge of wearing a Manchester United shirt.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Why on earth would you make a player who is A: Wildly inconsistent and B: Spent years bending over and flashing his arse at madrid a pillar of your team and the captain?

Tibs

Why on earth would you make a player who is A: Wildly inconsistent and B: Spent years bending over and flashing his arse at madrid a pillar of your team and the captain?
Because he is a serial winner, and wants to win everything? He's looked up to by the whole squad, respected worldwide...I could go on

Much better choice than fecking Maguire

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Because he is a serial winner, and wants to win everything? He's looked up to by the whole squad, respected worldwide...I could go on

Much better choice than fecking Maguire
The corner flag would be a better captain than slabhead, that doesnt negate my points. Why would you have a player who has wanted to be elsewhere for years and regularly plays a damn site worse than he is capable of as your captain and as a central part of the team.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I’d rather let him go than give him a pay rise…

In a sense, it’s a shame he won a World Cup medal because he’ll always have that to fall back on

Scholes was twice the player and some