Poll: Does it make sense to tie Pogba down to a new long term contract?

Should we give Pogba a new contract?

• Yes

Votes: 107 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 640 85.7%

• Total voters

peridigm

400k? Worth about half that. His most influental position has been playing more advanced whether it's on the left or in the middle. We have Rashford and Shancho for the left and he's not displacing Bruno so the best thing for both parties is that he leaves instead of shoehorning him into a MF pair with one of Fred, McTominay, or Matic.

talking robot

We don't need him and his salary would be inflated. It looks bad to let him leave for free, but honestly we'd be better off investing elsewhere the money we would save by not signing him (e.g. on a DM, right back, or striker). If we just accept that he's gone, that also frees Ole up to not pick him when he clearly shouldn't be playing. I'd rather see his minutes to go to VDB right now.

Mainoldo

He be unsuccessful and rich if he stay. He will be successful and rich if he leaves.

I think it’s a no brainier for him. We need to worry about upgrading McFred let alone how Pogba fits in.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Expensive waste of space. Very much like Martial. Conmen the both of them. Just here for the money and completely undeserving of their inflated wages.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He is fecking terrible. I wish he could leave tomorrow. All the talent in the world to do a nice trick or pick a nice pass is irrelevant if one is as lazy and complacent as Paul. It’s no exaggeration to say that he is predominantly a liability. A true 21st century YouTube, FIFA, Pepsi footballer.

He doesn’t run, his positioning is terrible, he slows down play, and he produces less hard tackles than a eunuch.

He costs too much, does too little, his entourage is disruptive, he’s arrogant on the field while destroying the team balance. He’s fecking shite in real terms. He looks the part, but has the most misleading physique in history. He’s a shower, not a grower. Looks like a big unit, but ultimately never rises to the occasion.

feck him off ASAP.

Born2Lose

If he plays like this when he's in the shop window, imagine what he'll be like when he has the security of a 4 or 5 year contract at £400k a week.

Born2Lose

He left us free once.

Why do people think he would be willing to stay here and sign a contract long term?

He is very clearly going.

Waste of money but hopefully him leaving makes our scouts go and find that player that can play as a modern deep lying playmaker as a replacement to Pogba.

He's a good player but there's just weird feeling with Pogba for me that when he goes that things line up better for us as a team.

Our weaknesses get shown more obviously as a gap that needs replacing rather than trying to get the best out of Pogba.
The same reason he's stayed here until the end of his contract, because he gets paid world class player wages without having to put in world class performances.

greendevil

Zero sense! Lads a waster, has all the attributes to really be one of the best players in the world let alone for us but mentally isn't up to it... Under Mourinho useless and now under Ole showing he can't maintain form or any level of real consistency. Only thing he's consistent in being is a let down.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The more I watch him, the more I think it might actually be time to wish him well and let him go.

We've tried to fit him into a set-up and he's certainly had his moments over the years, but not enough consecutive periods of form.
At 400k or silly wages, around 21m a year, you're talking about tying up 60-100m in wages alone.

Red Star One

One of our best players, United lad and a footballer that would flourish under a proper manager. Will be a sad day when I see him gone.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I love the guy but every story has got to come to its end. It just annoys me that the club is in a position to lose him without any cash. He should have been sold before or extended before. We are in a no man's land now. He has no incentive to play his best football from a personal POV if his mind is set on leaving and our midfield (also coaching staff ) is too weak to completely put him in the reserves.

spiriticon

I don't know. Does he really want to play and work for us?

6 years here and I still don't know the answer to that question.

Zed 101

get rid in January if possible, nine out of ten games he is awful and damages the team, occasionally he is brilliant, don't want just get shot, Pogba gone is one of the steps we need to make to move forward, would rather give his minutes to VDB or Hannibal

Gandalf

I love the guy but every story has got to come to its end. It just annoys me that the club is in a position to lose him without any cash. He should have been sold before or extended before. We are in a no man's land now. He has no incentive to play his best football from a personal POV if his mind is set on leaving and our midfield (also coaching staff ) is too weak to completely put him in the reserves.
The only option was to sell, we have been trying to extend for at least 2 years now and it has been obvious to anyone with half a brain that Paul and that delightful gentleman who represents him never had any intention of staying here. We might have been able to get him sold before the start of last season but COVID torpedoed that and once he got to this summer he knew he was only months away from the promised land and is happy to wait and see those bids roll in. I would not advocate banishing him to the reserves for wanting to leave, every player is entitled to do what is best for them, I would however stop playing him so much in the place of players who may have a long term future here and identify the best system that does not include him instead of constantly shoving a square peg in a round hole.

Xaviboy

Won't be missed. Best just staying in France next week and on International duty and not come back.

Ekeke

I think we're in a latter years Rooney situation with Pogba. He wants a huge contract and just when he starts to put in some good performances that suggest he warrants that big contract you already gave him, he wants a new one for more money. So we're always paying more than hes worth

Marcus

Waste of space these last few games. Further, since he is not signing a new contract anyway he can just be excluded from the match day squad.

Hughie77

No he can go for feck all again , its on the cards anyway him and his agent can do one . Use wages to get Declan Rice in the summer .

hobbers

It would be the usual club idiocy to give Pogba a giant new contract despite us not having a manager in place (Ole is basically a placeholder in all but name) and obviously not knowing what the new manager's opinions would be.

Thank feck Pogba will reject whatever we offer with Ole at the wheel.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He needs a defensive midfield behind him. That's all.

redmanx

He is fecking terrible. I wish he could leave tomorrow. All the talent in the world to do a nice trick or pick a nice pass is irrelevant if one is as lazy and complacent as Paul. It’s no exaggeration to say that he is predominantly a liability. A true 21st century YouTube, FIFA, Pepsi footballer.

He doesn’t run, his positioning is terrible, he slows down play, and he produces less hard tackles than a eunuch.

He costs too much, does too little, his entourage is disruptive, he’s arrogant on the field while destroying the team balance. He’s fecking shite in real terms. He looks the part, but has the most misleading physique in history. He’s a shower, not a grower. Looks like a big unit, but ultimately never rises to the occasion.

feck him off ASAP.
That just about sums up Pogba in his time with us.

Denis79

Everyone else gets a contract offer no matter how shitty the perform, so why shouldn't he be offered one?

sugar_kane

Offering Pogba £400k a week is more embarrassing than losing him for free again. At least Rooney had proven himself in a red shirt at the very highest level, even if he was past it when we renewed his contract.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
On his day, when he is on form and is in the mood to play football, he is one of the most talented midfielder I‘ve ever watch. But in most other time, he has been a complete wank and liability in midfield.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
No. I've had it with him.

Has all the talent in the world, but lacks the hunger, mentality and desire to be a truly top player.

The problem is not only he only shows up when he wants to, but his bottom level is truly horrendous

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Came across this vid of Tuchel laying into an individualistic player whilst at Mainz.

Absolutely what Pogba needs.
Ole and Jose have both tried dropping him. They have switched teams around to get the best out of him. They’ve signed players to “unlock” him and also to cover for his inevitable transfer out. Jose tried tough love and Oles tried talking him up. Jose made him captain. He’s been on the most money for a PL midfielder before KDB signed his last deal. Ole and the club constantly covering for the stuff he and his agent say in the press and so on and last night is what we get more often than not. It’s not as much about the club the manager or his teammates as it is about him. He’ll only be truly happy in a team that can carry a highlights player but I’ll bet anything Real or Barca won’t touch him, even on a free. On those wages It’s a fantasy. It’s us or PSG. We are the only show in town when it comes to stupidly spending money these days so he’ll sign with us again and it’ll be spun as some great coup that we managed to keep him.

Last edited:

Ibi Dreams

On his day, when he is on form and is in the mood to play football, he is one of the most talented midfielder I‘ve ever watch. But in most other time, he has been a complete wank and liability in midfield.
I feel like even that is a big exaggeration of his abilities. He's got excellent technique in a few areas, but he's deficient in a few as well and there's nothing he does that I haven't seen other midfielders do better.

I'd happily let him go at this point, can't imagine another 3-4 years of him ruining the balance of the team and playing the way he does most of the time. We're never going to fit him into the team properly

DomM

Just let him go, he doesn't fit into our team, makes way too many mistakes, earns far too much money and doesn't seem interested.
Last night a classic example of him being over run by "lesser" players, he just isn't worth the investment.

KingCavani

Should have let Jose sell him. He was a lost cause by that points.

The fans who were so loyal to him are a disgrace. The fact that this was even debated when he was mouthing off every international break, undermining the team and the manager is ridiculous. Not to mention his scumbag agent.

Should have been the priority in the summer to get him out. A pure cancer which he’s demonstrated on the pitch lately as well as off it. Never hated a United player more.