Poll: Does it make sense to tie Pogba down to a new long term contract?

Should we give Pogba a new contract?

• Yes

Votes: 107 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 640 85.7%

• Total voters

Josh 76

Maybe sell in January for even 10m and also save on his wages for the remaining part of the season.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
I just seen the highlights on YouTube of the match last night - at one point Pogba dribbles past three players and advances on goal, this is more like it, I thought.

Sadly, it was towards his own goal!

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I dont think it does but i am afraid we wont replace him.

Redlyn

Yeah I've come around to the fact it's best for him to leave all things considered. We need to move on from him and get a less flashy player with more grit.

Tyrion

We shouldn't tie him down. No one else would pay him the same wages. He should be desperate to sign, rather than us desperate to sign him.

Imo, it's him or Bruno and the choice is obvious.

rk4utd

He should have been sold three years ago….if he walks on a free it won’t be a moment too soon.

Hoof the ball

Can’t argue with this.
You put Fred in that french team and he will look world class.
There's also compensatory elements to Pogba in the French team.
For eg. in the World Cup in 2018, Matuidi played LW just so that if Pogba went forward, Matuidi could drop back and cover him knowing full well that Pogba wouldn't.

A more recent example would be the Nations League final vs. Spain. Pogba was in a 2-man midfield, yes, but it was a 3-4-3 with Theo Hernandez to his left, the work-horse Griezmann in no.10 and Kimpembe at LCB behind. Whether forward sideways and behind, he had running players to compensate.

foolsgold

Long term contract ? No, he's not justifying a first team place.

Attitude stinks, Jose was right about him. Tbh, I'm wondering if we wouldn't have been in a better place now if we'd kept Jose and let him sell Pogba

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The only option was to sell, we have been trying to extend for at least 2 years now and it has been obvious to anyone with half a brain that Paul and that delightful gentleman who represents him never had any intention of staying here. We might have been able to get him sold before the start of last season but COVID torpedoed that and once he got to this summer he knew he was only months away from the promised land and is happy to wait and see those bids roll in. I would not advocate banishing him to the reserves for wanting to leave, every player is entitled to do what is best for them, I would however stop playing him so much in the place of players who may have a long term future here and identify the best system that does not include him instead of constantly shoving a square peg in a round hole.
I agree but then again if there weren't real offers or interesting enough for him then we were always gonna keep him. The uncertainty doesn't help anyone

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Attitude stinks, Jose was right about him. Tbh, I'm wondering if we wouldn't have been in a better place now if we'd kept Jose and let him sell Pogba
Let's not rewrite history. Pogba and Jose are two different problems. Jose had to be sacked because he had problems with many players

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Maybe sell in January for even 10m and also save on his wages for the remaining part of the season.
Nobody will pay 10M in January nor will he accept moving for a fee when he can get a big fat golden handshake instead.

I'm mystified why anyone would expect anything other than him moving on a free. If he/Raiola didn't have wealthy enough suitors they would have bitten our hands off ages ago. In fact, if we still have an offer on the table we are fecking idiots really.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What seems to be the consensus on what's happened thus far? He's been offered a 400K deal and still keeping his options open, or have we not offered him a deal yet?
I think it's best to part ways with Pogba now that Fernandes is also at the club. I think it would also make life easier for a new head coach, if he had one less issue to deal with when trying to balance the squad/team. I like Pogba but I don't see him fitting into the dynamic with Fernandes.

arthurka

He needs a defensive midfield behind him. That's all.
Yeah...
What's his best position?
Matic was 5 years younger when he came. No one should even be bothered with this anymore.
I couldn't give one feck if I would never see him again in a Utd shirt.

Withnail

He seems like he wants to go and really doesn't seem committed to the cause at all. For all his talents, we'd be mad to break the bank to get him to sign a new deal.

G-MUFC

He's an awful footballer.

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that we pay him more in wages than Liverpool pay the likes of Mane and Salah.

We're basically paying fortunes for a player that gives us nothing on the pitch.

The Urban Goose

We are the only show in town when it comes to stupidly spending money these days so he’ll sign with us again and it’ll be spun as some great coup that we managed to keep him.
I dread this scenario. I'm sick to death of the Pogba era, the constant bending over for him is as embarrassing as the Moyes and Fellaini eras, or the Old Man Rooney era.

I don't know why the club puts up with this level of overpaid mediocrity, we'll never properly compete at the top tables again until the old demand for excellence returns.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
There's also compensatory elements to Pogba in the French team.
For eg. in the World Cup in 2018, Matuidi played LW just so that if Pogba went forward, Matuidi could drop back and cover him knowing full well that Pogba wouldn't.

A more recent example would be the Nations League final vs. Spain. Pogba was in a 2-man midfield, yes, but it was a 3-4-3 with Theo Hernandez to his left, the work-horse Griezmann in no.10 and Kimpembe at LCB behind. Whether forward sideways and behind, he had running players to compensate.
Seems I've read this sort of sentiment on the forum and elsewhere, that Pogba is basically a luxury player that requires others/tactics to make him stand out. That perhaps he was vastly overrated at Juve thanks to the performances of others and the tactics employed. I've no clue how much of that is truth and fiction.

Stevondo8

As long as it’s at another club, then yes. Problem is, nobody really wants him. He’s been angling to leave for years, maybe Zidane wanted him at Real but seems he was the only one.

Kinda interesting to see where he does end up next summer, I reckon it’s only psg who’ll offer him close to what he’s on now.

So much talent, so little application.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I am sure Pogba is a nice guy and good for the dressing room. He is an attacking midfielder who can pick a pass and works well in a 4231.

He is a disaster in central midfield and clumsy when he is near his own defence. Scholes is right, he has concentration issues. I can't even count the amount of times I have watched him fool around in front of Utd's defence and given a chance to the opposition.

Ole wants to play a 433 allegedly although he is taking eons to implement that system. No point in Pogba staying.

Delano

No. He obviously doesn't want to sign either. We need to draw a line in the sand now and try and integrate VdB. I haven't been his biggest fan here, but the reality is it makes far more sense trying to integrate a player on a long term contract, then one who is desperate to leave.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Came across this vid of Tuchel laying into an individualistic player whilst at Mainz.

Absolutely what Pogba needs.
Pogba wouldn't like that to be fair. Pogba is old enough to supposed to learn how the game works and be the leader on the pitch but instead, he hasn't developed it and probably would never develop it and needs an experienced one to coach him on the pitch but would he like and accept it if he is being told what he does is wrong?

Hoof the ball

Seems I've read this sort of sentiment on the forum and elsewhere, that Pogba is basically a luxury player that requires others/tactics to make him stand out. That perhaps he was vastly overrated at Juve thanks to the performances of others and the tactics employed. I've no clue how much of that is truth and fiction.
Pogba had the benefit of playing in a Juve team that had some incredible leaders, such as Pirlo, Chiellini and Buffon. It certainly helps to have those voices around you, to check your poorer instincts, to compliment you better ones. He also played under Conte and Allegri, two managers who are very well organised defensively.

There's a certain truth to the idea that Pogba needs tactical solutions round him to compensate for his work-ethic in defensive transitions. He does, in general, cover ground on the field, but in the counter-attack he can be somewhat slow to react, which is what spurred Deschamps to put Matuidi (a centre-mid) at LW ahead of Pogba in the World Cup in '18.

He's a player who has been indulged too much during his career. Incredible talent but it's like he's been told that every day and nobody ever taught him where to improve. To be fair our managers have either been unwilling or incapable of teaching him, and his agent is there in the background undermining anybody who might try. You look through Raiola's client list and its mostly the same, great players who could have been better still with more sensible advice. Pogba will go down as the same.

A better manager could set a team up to cater to him but for us, that would sacrifice Bruno and we don't want to do that. At this point it's better to let him go and be somebody else's problem.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
The sensible thing would be to tie down a World Cup winning player even if its to sell him on next summer, but with the board we have who knows whats going to happen. We seem to be happy over paying for players and just as happy under selling them.

Personally id keep him, on his day (after CR) hes probably the best player we have should have been made captain before Slab head, and his performances would have been a lot better.

poleglass red

needs to move the ball quicker, needs to work on his concentration over 90 mins, needs to stop lunging into tackles when he overruns it, needs to cut out the amount of times he loses possession, needs to work on his defensive responsibilites . The above criticisms sound like I'm describing some kid that's just broke through to the first team, a highly rated prospect but not yet the finished article. This is one of the highest paid, most expensive transfers at 28 yr of age, supposed to be in his prime, yet if anything he's regressing and badly as well. Get rid, if for nothing more, than for the simple fact, that he and Bruno will never be compatible in the starting 11 against quality teams.

DickDastardly

You know what, i'm wondering the same thing.......somebody should do a FM simulation.
Go back to 2018 - sell Pogba in the January window at get all those aged silly feckers Jose wanted, who was it, Perišić.....can't remember the rest.

See how it all plays out.
Too bad life doesn't have a "save" and "load" functions.

Blake's 7

Pogba has the ability to be a fantastic player. Unfortunately, for whatever reason he has not become the dominant influential figure I think it was envisaged he would become at United when he returned from Juventus. I think a move is in the interest of both parties. I've no doubt he will flourish at a new club but he's had 5 years back at United and we can't keep waiting for him to consistently perform at a world class level - he's just not going to do it for us. We'd be better off getting a player who complements the others in our squad - the sum of the parts being far more important than the potential (often unrealised) of the individual.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The sensible thing would be to tie down a World Cup winning player even if its to sell him on next summer, but with the board we have who knows whats going to happen. We seem to be happy over paying for players and just as happy under selling them.

Personally id keep him, on his day (after CR) hes probably the best player we have should have been made captain before Slab head, and his performances would have been a lot better.
Yeah, let's give the captaincy to the guy who only turns up about 10 games a season and gets his brother and agent to mouth off about how much he deserves to go to another club every other international break. :houllier:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He's a player who has been indulged too much during his career. Incredible talent but it's like he's been told that every day and nobody ever taught him where to improve. To be fair our managers have either been unwilling or incapable of teaching him, and his agent is there in the background undermining anybody who might try. You look through Raiola's client list and its mostly the same, great players who could have been better still with more sensible advice. Pogba will go down as the same.

A better manager could set a team up to cater to him but for us, that would sacrifice Bruno and we don't want to do that. At this point it's better to let him go and be somebody else's problem.
Funny how Raiola doesn't actually talk much about moving his players on apart from Pogba during his stint with us. Otherwise he pretty much keeps quiet until it's the transfer window when he's angling for a re-contract or a big money move and he starts his show.