[Poll] Next permanent United manager

Who do you think should be the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReddBalls

It doesn't matter who we bring into the squad, it'd be a huge mistake to stop this great confidence and vibe the team is having right now!, to me its very clear we should give OLE a chance.
This a thousand times. I can't fathom why people don't see this.

Unlikely lad

I’m all for giving Ole a go, but I disagree on the outrage re: Poch’s comments. I’m reasonably confident that his attitude would be different as United manager, including how he would approache cup games.

The one thing that does put me off is his weird way of getting defensive after losses; the comments from yesterday might be true, but I’m not sure if airing them out does any good to anyone involved at Spurs. Ditto his comments after our 1-0 win; “best performance in 4 years” my arse.

Withnail

Get this. Spurs want top 4 so they can buy better players and not compete for trophies. You couldn’t fecking make it up if you tried.
He's working for Levy and Levy wants the money so he's doing what he's told.

Even Fergie was known to tow the party line in public with his support of the Glazer's and all that there's no value in the market guff.

There's no money in the cup (there really should be decent prize money) and Champions League can be worth something like 60 mil if you get out of the group.

crossy1686

career ending
He's working for Levy and Levy wants the money so he's doing what he's told.

Even Fergie was known to tow the party line in public with his support of the Glazer's and all that there's no value in the market guff.

There's no money in the cup (there really should be decent prize money) and Champions League can be worth something like 60 mil if you get out of the group.
Make money, surrender trophies, rinse and repeat.

What's the point in Spurs as a football club then? At least they're competing with Liverpool for the net spend trophy.

How long do you think their best players will hang around for knowing that the club has no ambition to win any silverware? You think world class players care about Levy's bottom line?

In Rainbows

Of course. The FA Cup is beneath them so only the PL and CL will suffice.
CL isn't important enough for him. He fielded a weakened team in 2016 which led to the Spurs being knocked out of the group stages. This, even though it was their first time back in the CL since Harry was the manager.

Withnail

This a thousand times. I can't fathom why people don't see this.
Absolutely agree. Ole all the way.

There is a loss coming obviously but given the turn around in attacking performance and now we are seeing the defence improve I can't see any reason not to stick with Ole.

The wheels could still come off the wagon and people have pointed to the Di Matteo situation at Chelsea as a cautionary tale.

I don't see the comparison as that team ran themselves and the way United are playing and improving is clearly coming from Ole's direction.

MuFc_1992

At this point going for Poch over Ole would be a massive let down for me. Poch isn't tactical guru like Pep, Klopp or Bielsa with highly specific way of playing and is more similar to someone like Ancelotti. I have no reason to believe why someone like Ole can't do a similar job for us with the added benefit of having winning mentality.

Withnail

Make money, surrender trophies, rinse and repeat.

What's the point in Spurs as a football club then? At least they're competing with Liverpool for the net spend trophy.

How long do you think their best players will hang around for knowing that the club has no ambition to win any silverware? You think world class players care about Levy's bottom line?
That's the danger alright.

And whats the point? I'm not Levy and I dont agree with the approach but Arsenal did it for years when they were building their stadium.
Top 4 and getting out of the CL Group was the goal.

He could lose Poch and their best players but I think he's gambling on getting them all into the new stadium and maybe pushing on from their once he's balanced the books.

You heard what Poch said recently tho?
He pretty much said they wouldn't be buying any world class players and were going back to developing youth.

Melville Red

Very tempted with going with Ole, but right now I still think Zidane is the best choice
Why? Seriously he has less experience of managing than Ole. He was given the Madrid job when they were at the top, with real world class players. When some rebuilding was needed doing he was off quicker than a rat up a drain pipe.
He hasn’t managed anywhere else, he hasn’t experienced any downs he has only experienced been the head coach at the biggest club in the world where everything was micro managed except the team selection. No I just don’t see how that man can be thought of as a serious manager for Utd or, come to think of it any other PL club.
Ole on the other hand has experience both here in the PL with a hard and very difficult job at Cardiff where I dare say he learnt a lot and of course at Molde.
Ole has a lot more experience than Zidane and it’s commical to even suggest that Zidane would do a better job than Ole. The French man hasn’t even played in the PL, he knows nothing about United, probably couldn’t even find Manachester on a map of the UK, it would be the biggest cock up in sporting history appointing him, well after Moyes but it will be close.

Looking to the future the board can save a lot of trouble and money by looking no further than the current personal on the bench, they know Utd inside out and with the right support in the boardroom we could soon be back to winning ways.

As for Pochawinowt, enough has already been said.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You conveniently left out the part where they were winning and all they had to do was not concede two goals to make it through the tie. Again, poor set up from Pochettino, going away from home at the Bridge and setting up with Llorente as he would with Kane when they're very different players. There was no game management and Spurs shipped in two goals in the first half. When has a team with cup or title ambitions been that open in the first half of a semi final, that they're winning!?

You're just making excuses for him now and non of the current behaviour he's shown would be tolerated at United, and for good reason.
For me to have conveniently left out anything we would have had to have been actually discussing that game, which we weren't. I'm not making excuses for anyone, what you're doing though is changing the parameters of the conversation because your previous point has been found out to be without merit

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I’m all for giving Ole a go, but I disagree on the outrage re: Poch’s comments. I’m reasonably confident that his attitude would be different as United manager, including how he would approache cup games.

The one thing that does put me off is his weird way of getting defensive after losses; the comments from yesterday might be true, but I’m not sure if airing them out does any good to anyone involved at Spurs. Ditto his comments after our 1-0 win; “best performance in 4 years” my arse.
We all thought that about Moyes and Mourinho. We might have to accept that grown men who've spent their entire lives behaving a certain way don't simply flick a switch an change their habits.

Pochettino's comments are embarrasing for a top flight manager and worse speak to his vulnerability in front of the media.

Spurs get a pretty easy ride from the English press because of how many England internationals they have. However, since being linked with United the media has started to prod Pochettino. Nowhere near like they've done to Emery, nevermind Mourinho, but they've begun asking Pochettino why he's not doing better. His reaction has been very informative to me: He's reacted very badly, with some ridiculous expectation management that Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho would've uttered at their lowest.

If Poch was getting the pressure United managers get then I worry he'd crack like an egg.

Revan

Assumptionman

Oh yeah, the United will change Moyes, the United will change Mourinho, it worked well the last couple of times.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Why? Seriously he has less experience of managing than Ole. He was given the Madrid job when they were at the top, with real world class players. When some rebuilding was needed doing he was off quicker than a rat up a drain pipe.
He hasn’t managed anywhere else, he hasn’t experienced any downs he has only experienced been the head coach at the biggest club in the world where everything was micro managed except the team selection. No I just don’t see how that man can be thought of as a serious manager for Utd or, come to think of it any other PL club.
Ole on the other hand has experience both here in the PL with a hard and very difficult job at Cardiff where I dare say he learnt a lot and of course at Molde.
Ole has a lot more experience than Zidane and it’s commical to even suggest that Zidane would do a better job than Ole. The French man hasn’t even played in the PL, he knows nothing about United, probably couldn’t even find Manachester on a map of the UK, it would be the biggest cock up in sporting history appointing him, well after Moyes but it will be close.

Looking to the future the board can save a lot of trouble and money by looking no further than the current personal on the bench, they know Utd inside out and with the right support in the boardroom we could soon be back to winning ways.

As for Pochawinowt, enough has already been said.
He has also won the CL as many times as anyone in the history of the game in 2.5 years in management.

The winning touch is key for United

charlenefan

With a mentality like that it's no wonder you're so far up Poch's hole.
Was our FA Cup under LVG considered glory? It certainly didn't keep him his job. Were those 3 FA Cup's for Wenger considered glory? Didn't stop the majority of the Arsenal fan base wanting him to step down. Or Conte last season? Finishing outside of the top 4 but with the FA Cup didn't put a nice gloss to Chelsea's awful season.

I'll also add I'm up nobodies 'hole'. At this moment in time I'm undecided who should be the next Manchester United manager

crossy1686

career ending
For me to have conveniently left out anything we would have had to have been actually discussing that game, which we weren't. I'm not making excuses for anyone, what you're doing though is changing the parameters of the conversation because your previous point has been found out to be without merit
Nope, I didn't. You tried re-writing history by painting Tottenham and Pochettino as the plucky underdogs in the Chelsea match. They were winning and all they had to do was not concede two goals. There's a point where you have to accept poor decisions were made and anything else is an excuse.

ReddBalls

Was our FA Cup under LVG considered glory? It certainly didn't keep him his job. Were those 3 FA Cup's for Wenger considered glory? Didn't stop the majority of the Arsenal fan base wanting him to step down. Or Conte last season? Finishing outside of the top 4 but with the FA Cup didn't put a nice gloss to Chelsea's awful season.

I'll also add I'm up nobodies 'hole'. At this moment in time I'm undecided who should be the next Manchester United manager
It wasn't glory, it was the bare minimum. Poch can't even reach that

charlenefan

Nope, I didn't. You tried re-writing history by painting Tottenham and Pochettino as the plucky underdogs in the Chelsea match. They were winning and all they had to do was not concede two goals. There's a point where you have to accept poor decisions were made and anything else is an excuse.
That's your interpretation of what I said. That's your problem not mine. I didn't paint them as anything as again I at no point spoke about anything about that game other than it happened

charlenefan

It wasn't glory, it was the bare minimum. Poch can't even reach that
There's only 2 domestic cups and 6 'top' teams. Can a domestic cup really be thought of as the bare minimum? Top 4 should be the bare minimum and even then 2 of the top 6 have to miss out

Red Star One

As a club l agree but The Glaziers are not going to spend PSG, City, Real or Barcelona money but will spend Liverpool, Bayern, and Chelsea money. We need a manager that can build a winning team that plays attractive football without
having to spend PSG money.
Honestly, I don't know. I get your point and I don't think we'll spend that much (or at least not that much on a single player) in the summer, but in the last years we were pretty much tier 1 in terms of spending in Europe anyway. We are still paying obscene wages, we'll soon make our goalkeeper the best paid GK in history, we keep trillion euro a week Sanchez and ridiculously expensive Lukaku on the bench and I am sure that if there was a player new manager really wanted to sign, Glazers would hand the money - as they did when Jose was here (bar his last window).

Tony247

There's only 2 domestic cups and 6 'top' teams. Can a domestic cup really be thought of as the bare minimum? Top 4 should be the bare minimum and even then 2 of the top 6 have to miss out
A top club fights on all fronts. It must. Then only you have chances of winning trophies, finishing respectable positions etc. Sometimes you don't win. That's fine, but at least you gave your best. Giving up FA cup without fighting is not Man Utd, it never was.

What Poch implying is that he (and his club) is not fighting for the cup. That is not a big club mentality. Rest all like 'because the cup doesn't matter' etc. is fill in the gap excuses.

Melville Red

@Cal? Ok, that’s a lot more than some, but I do think that any manager worth his salt from any top club around Europe could have done that with that team.

Jose won that cup with Madrid did he not? Sorry but I don’t think he would be a good choice for us.
Ole talks well as well, conducts himself brilliantly with the media. Saw him on the telly this morning, I can’t even class Ole as a foreigner, if any one is an honorary Manc it’s Ole.:D

ReddBalls

There's only 2 domestic cups and 6 'top' teams. Can a domestic cup really be thought of as the bare minimum?
At Manchester United? Yes. For clubs of Spurs statue, though, it's the only chance of glory. That's why it's puzzling Pochettino concedes it. United need managers who fights for every attainable trophy.

Reddevil1978

On the 13th of January Poch had 52.0% compared to Ole's 13.4%.

Now Poch has dropped to 44.2% and Ole has shot up to 27.1% it won't be long till he catches up. He's got my vote.

charlenefan

At Manchester United? Yes. For clubs of Spurs statue, though, it's the only chance of glory. That's why it's puzzling Pochettino concedes it. United need managers who fights for every attainable trophy.
Like I said previously people shouldn't take Poch's comments as Spurs manager as what he'd say if he were managing here. Here fans such as yourself demand the team goes to win everything, who knows what the demands are at Spurs, (some of) their fans here are saying it's top 4, their chairman will probably be saying likewise (for the money)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Didn't know Ole was added to the poll. Changed my vote from Poch to Solskjaer.

I was all in for Poch before Solskjaer, but since his arrival Solskjaer has done almost everything to near perfection. 8/8 wins, playing very good football most of the time, saying right things and looks like atmosphere at the club is very good.

Given the choice now, I would go for Solskjaer.

Sylar

Pochs comments, whilst it might be true, are just baffling as an excuse as to why you lost.
As a fan, you dont want to hear that if your ambition is to be a top team.

Spurs should be going for top4 AND a domestic trophy. Yes they have some big injuries, but to basically come out and say, nah these arent real trophies is a worry. Forget United, if I was a spurs fan, I would absolutely hate these comments especially after being told the new stadium would have no negative affects and in fact help you compete moreso with added revenue.

Meanwhile, Ole has been getting nearly all things right:
-Wins against lower teams
-Subs and tactics
-Press conferences and words

Tony247

I am still curious who are those 22 people who voted for Arsene Wenger? :D

ReddBalls

Like I said previously people shouldn't take Poch's comments as Spurs manager as what he'd say if he were managing here. Here fans such as yourself demand the team goes to win everything, who knows what the demands are at Spurs, (some of) their fans here are saying it's top 4, their chairman will probably be saying likewise (for the money)
If he doesn't try to win the attainable trophies as a Spurs manager (FAC, LC), what makes you believe he suddenly would go for all attainable trophies at United (PL, LC, FAC, CL)? What the Spurs board demand is really not relevant when we are discussing what is needed as a United manager. If the guy was a winner, he would go for at least one of the cups regardless of the minimum requirements from the board, and he certainly would not come out saying what he has said the last couple of days.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He has also won the CL as many times as anyone in the history of the game in 2.5 years in management.

The winning touch is key for United
But I thought them wins were all because of Cristiano Ronaldo due to him being the greatest player in the 4th Dimension, the Milky Way, the Observal universe, the Multi-Verse and beyond. Make your mind up mate.

Red Devil Rising

This for me was a massive red flag.

Whether he liked it or not, the narrative for that game was that it was about 2 managers - both of whom were auditioning for the United job.

And it just so happens that in this game, despite losing, it was their best performance in the 4 years that he's been at the club? What a load of bollocks.

Not that Poch is going to lose any sleep, but I lost a lot of respect for him after that comment. It was so transparent. Very Mourinho-esc.

tonnas

what till the end of the season, if the performances are great then its a no brainer...come on OLE

charlenefan

If he doesn't try to win the attainable trophies as a Spurs manager (FAC, LC), what makes you believe he suddenly would go for all attainable trophies at United (PL, LC, FAC, CL)? What the Spurs board demand is really not relevant when we are discussing what is needed as a United manager. If the guy was a winner, he would go for at least one of the cups regardless of the minimum requirements from the board, and he certainly would not come out saying what he has said the last couple of days.
As I finished explaining to the other chap they did go for one of the cups, they were in the Semi final of one 4 days ago. And as for what makes me think he'll change like you said the demands at Spurs are irrelevant when speaking about the United job, if the demands on Poch as United boss are to win FA Cup's and League Cups maybe he'd give them a bigger priority than he does at Spurs (or maybe he wouldn't and still prioritise the PL and UCL, who knows.)

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I am still curious who are those 22 people who voted for Arsene Wenger? :D
If you click the words '22 votes' it'll tell you which forum members voted for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.