[Poll] Next permanent United manager

Who do you think should be the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plg91

5 Live commentator reckons Ole has been given the job, unofficially. No idea why he thinks that.
Maybe Ole appointment is the direct reason Martial decides to sign on his new contract. It makes sense i think.

Red Stone

If we beat PSG Ole will creep to first place on the poll. You read it here first.

M Utd

Paul Ince has suggested he could have done what Ole has done.

Man Utd: Why I stand by my view I could have done Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s job – Paul Ince - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47111521

Can you add him to the poll so no one can vote for him just to make it clear he's the only person who thinks he would have the same results as Ole at this point in his career as Utd Manager?

M Utd

It's probably too early to decide but he can't do much more that what he's already done.

I've gone for Ole if I had to choose right now so long as we appoint a DOF and he keeps the coaching staff currently there at the club.

I honestly think that it's too early to decide though and luckily the club don't need to make any decision right a way.

Last edited:

Tony247

Man Utd: Why I stand by my view I could have done Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s job – Paul Ince - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47111521

Can you add him to the poll so no one can vote for him just to make it clear he's the only person who thinks he would have the same results as Ole at this point in his career as Utd Manager?
I second this.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics

To be honest the article is completely convincing. He's not saying he's special. Just that this run of form is mainly a reaction to Jose being gone, and won't last forever. Completely sensible.

Lynty

Ince is a poor manager and even worse pundit.

You can’t go 10 games unbeaten in this league, on nothing but high spirits and good luck.

glazed

The way Poch is talking, I don't think he has any intention of leaving Spurs.
This more than anything. Poch, Klopp, Pep are the outstanding managers. If none of those are available, might as well risk it with Ole.

That said, it feels like we need a more modern pressing formation. Not convinced Ole has the technical know how to build one that can take on Liverpool or City.

George The Best

This more than anything. Poch, Klopp, Pep are the outstanding managers. If none of those are available, might as well risk it with Ole.

That said, it feels like we need a more modern pressing formation. Not convinced Ole has the technical know how to build one that can take on Liverpool or City.
Don’t think you can read anything into Poch’s comments. Much the same as at Southampton. He’s not going to unsettle his current club mid-season with a lot still to play for, is he?

glazed

Don’t think you can read anything into Poch’s comments. Much the same as at Southampton. He’s not going to unsettle his current club mid-season with a lot still to play for, is he?
True.

Chresta

To be honest the article is completely convincing. He's not saying he's special. Just that this run of form is mainly a reaction to Jose being gone, and won't last forever. Completely sensible.
No, not sensible at all. I honestly don't see how you can look at someone who has just done something that has never been done before and insist that anyone could do it. Ole is not the first caretaker manager in the EPL, how does he compare to them? Why didn't they do what he has done? If the argument is that the last Manager was so bad whoever replaced him was going to get the same results, he left Chelsea under similar circumstances, did the person who took over perform as well as Ole has? Do you remember how bad Moyes was and how much all the fans and the players wanted him gone? Do you remember the "bounce" after he left... how long did that last?

I think we can debate whether or not Ole should be given the role without disrespecting him and what he has done... for someone with a managerial record that Ince has to say "I too could have done it" is not sensible... just wrong and disrespectful... but mostly wrong.

glazed

No, not sensible at all. I honestly don't see how you can look at someone who has just done something that has never been done before and insist that anyone could do it. Ole is not the first caretaker manager in the EPL, how does he compare to them? Why didn't they do what he has done? If the argument is that the last Manager was so bad whoever replaced him was going to get the same results, he left Chelsea under similar circumstances, did the person who took over perform as well as Ole has? Do you remember how bad Moyes was and how much all the fans and the players wanted him gone? Do you remember the "bounce" after he left... how long did that last?

I think we can debate whether or not Ole should be given the role without disrespecting him and what he has done... for someone with a managerial record that Ince has to say "I too could have done it" is not sensible... just wrong and disrespectful... but mostly wrong.
I think he's just saying that Jose tends to leave behind incredibly depressed (but very good) players who over perform after he goes. I wouldn't read more into it than that.

lysglimt

Scout
The main problem I see is that Ole only seems to trust 14-15 players (and rightly so because a few of the others dont seem good enough) - which will create fatigue and will cost us Points.

As for people saying Solskjaer isn't cynical enough - tell that to players like Fred, Andreas P, Darmian and Valencia

Peter Brewer

You won't get near the mains for a while with that kind of attitude and lack of respect for the opinions of others.

Most of us are thrilled with how Ole is doing but want a larger sample size before we 100% back him for the permanent role. We've had purple patches of form under both Van Gaal and Mourinho, and have seen both Arsenal and Chelsea start really well under their new managers before things turned sour. It's not a crime, or bad judgement, to want to wait a little longer and keep our options open, and I hope the club are keeping a cool head and exploring other options in case things with Ole tale a poor turn. None of us want that, and I don't even think it's likely based on what we've seen, but there's still 3 months left in the season and it's far to early to be putting all our eggs in one basket. If Ole is still performing well by early April, I would be delighted if he was given a contract.
My point is that Ole is critizised for any smallest reason by some punters around here, while at the same time Poch is never scrutinised in the same manner. Double standards.

Poch has this big-name stamp on him, a bit undeserved, which trancends him to a glorious state which healthy worries disappair.
Solskjaer has broken so many records now, not only so called new manager records, but now also with first 5 away back to back wins since Fergie.
And he has done it with flare and player material that is not his own.
Have anyone checked the stats for Poch, his first time in Spurs and.other clubs and found similar results? No.

And what about the fact that Solskjaer is 100% United DNA, which carries the legacy of Sir Matt and Sir Alex to new generations of players and supporters - wouldn't that count for more than a manager proven himself for Spurs? Which ultimate dream may even be a future in Real or Barcelona?
Sorry for crossing any lines being disrespectful for others' opinions, but I just can't understand it and I therefore get very frustrated.
I am afraid that the board members also track these foras and ideas, and opinions rub off on them, and we risk losing Ole and a unique opportunity to reinstate the club to its previous glory, with the pride and unique underlying values created by Sit Matt and Sir Alex.
Just being a good club under Pochettino and also including winning silver with him, is not the same as having the unique opportunity to carry the legacy from past to new generations. And for me, Ole has ticked all the boxes proving he could be just the right guy for this unlikely fortunate opportunity.
I say give Ole at least one new full season with his own mark on the signings. I am sure he will make us all prouder than a spell under Poch.

Reactions: Jippy

Chairman Steve

The main problem I see is that Ole only seems to trust 14-15 players (and rightly so because a few of the others dont seem good enough) - which will create fatigue and will cost us Points.

As for people saying Solskjaer isn't cynical enough - tell that to players like Fred, Andreas P, Darmian and Valencia
I've also thought that, but then again he may have been more open to rotation if Jose hadn't put us so far behind the pack in the first half of the season, where we could have afforded to experiment and take risks on rotation.

Literally every game now is a must-win, especially with Spurs pulling further away from Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd.

Cockney Phil

The longer this goes on the greater the problem of selection. By the end of the season if Ole has failed everyone will forgive him for a great try and the board can bring in an alternative. If Ole ‘only’ takes 4th the fans will demand he stays but the board might just get away with a superhero alternative. If he gets 4th and reaches semi-finals or finals the fans will go ballistic if he isn’t offered the job. It’s all a bit Roy of the Rovers in his managerial days.

Off the pitch it’s all crazy too. Martial decides to stay and Fella leaves! Ole has restored everyone’s happiness including the ‘washer-women’. The club’s sales are up with the usual round of supermarket junk. The phone app is reaching hundreds of thousands globally and tickets are once again hard to come by. The press can only produce positive headlines which adds to the overall positive atmosphere. Mostly the noise in OT has ramped up - why did we need a singing section = yes it was shit managers killing the joy. This has deep pocket implications.

Poch is another of those boring managers who make pathetic excuses when they lose. Never seen anything in him, crap at the Saints and bottled it with the Spuds. Aspiring to top 4 by dropping out of cups this season seems a strange move for a club like Spuds? I don’t really know what Zidane offers but can he claim to understand the United culture? Flopp is not the great manager many think he is. He finds a formula and sticks with it, then club’s unlock it and he has no real tactical response. He nearly dropped Dortmund, killed the atmosphere, but they bounced back up top after he left. As for Ince, he must be suffering from dementia.

Perhaps the traditional ‘manager’ role might be over at OT. With reflection, the outsider manager figurehead has failed spectacularly - 3 times fingers burned - and what dross. Moyes was a tailor’s dummy at best. LVG - I mean did no one at OT have any foreign language skills - he was a laughing stock and chased out of Munich for his asinine behaviour. Then the Sacked One who ended up trying to sabotage the club for his pay off. I think it’s beginning to dawn on us that Fergie not only changed the club but created an institution that is rigid to a character and style of football. A single minded manager trying to change that ethos is quickly exposed when success fails. ‘Rediscovering’ this revelation has been the only upside of some pretty dire decisions since 2013.

The present management team works as a collective of skilled individuals and leaders who understand the nature of success. They also behave like winners which spreads the feeling of success. Critical to the modern game, the players and their different ethnicities no longer respond to bullying and mood swings. They need a more open but also sophisticated atmosphere for development. In my opinion, Ole appears to represent a new kind of manager who can address all these issues and isn’t burdened/intimidated working with some very gifted players.

NFM

The longer this goes on the greater the problem of selection. By the end of the season if Ole has failed everyone will forgive him for a great try and the board can bring in an alternative. If Ole ‘only’ takes 4th the fans will demand he stays but the board might just get away with a superhero alternative. If he gets 4th and reaches semi-finals or finals the fans will go ballistic if he isn’t offered the job. It’s all a bit Roy of the Rovers in his managerial days.

Off the pitch it’s all crazy too. Martial decides to stay and Fella leaves! Ole has restored everyone’s happiness including the ‘washer-women’. The club’s sales are up with the usual round of supermarket junk. The phone app is reaching hundreds of thousands globally and tickets are once again hard to come by. The press can only produce positive headlines which adds to the overall positive atmosphere. Mostly the noise in OT has ramped up - why did we need a singing section = yes it was shit managers killing the joy. This has deep pocket implications.

Poch is another of those boring managers who make pathetic excuses when they lose. Never seen anything in him, crap at the Saints and bottled it with the Spuds. Aspiring to top 4 by dropping out of cups this season seems a strange move for a club like Spuds? I don’t really know what Zidane offers but can he claim to understand the United culture? Flopp is not the great manager many think he is. He finds a formula and sticks with it, then club’s unlock it and he has no real tactical response. He nearly dropped Dortmund, killed the atmosphere, but they bounced back up top after he left. As for Ince, he must be suffering from dementia.

Perhaps the traditional ‘manager’ role might be over at OT. With reflection, the outsider manager figurehead has failed spectacularly - 3 times fingers burned - and what dross. Moyes was a tailor’s dummy at best. LVG - I mean did no one at OT have any foreign language skills - he was a laughing stock and chased out of Munich for his asinine behaviour. Then the Sacked One who ended up trying to sabotage the club for his pay off. I think it’s beginning to dawn on us that Fergie not only changed the club but created an institution that is rigid to a character and style of football. A single minded manager trying to change that ethos is quickly exposed when success fails. ‘Rediscovering’ this revelation has been the only upside of some pretty dire decisions since 2013.

The present management team works as a collective of skilled individuals and leaders who understand the nature of success. They also behave like winners which spreads the feeling of success. Critical to the modern game, the players and their different ethnicities no longer respond to bullying and mood swings. They need a more open but also sophisticated atmosphere for development. In my opinion, Ole appears to represent a new kind of manager who can address all these issues and isn’t burdened/intimidated working with some very gifted players.

NFM

Superb post.
Ole is a mature intelligent man, who can talk regularly with Fergie without feeling intimidated, take advice from his staff without feeling diminished.
Ole is a United product and very very proud of it. He is an international man, experienced in running a team with far less resources.
He ticks all the boxes.
He won't write the cheques to sign players, no manager/coach at United will ever again, but he can and will give firm advice on players and it will be good advice. He wants quick, athletic, talented players. He wants 'United' players.
He WILL be the next permanent manager.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Peter Brewer

Ole appears to represent a new kind of manager who can address all these issues and isn’t burdened/intimidated working with some very gifted players.
Ole is very unusual managerial material in the sense that he appears to see himself as a proud servant of the club. He doesn't have the big narcissistic ego, and many doubted he could handle the players in a top club without having the typical larger than life alpha male ego.

It seems like Solskjaer handles the big egoes well by displaying high morale standards, being humble yet assertive. Solskjaer is intelligent with high tactical skill and deep football knowledge. As he seems to click with intelligent and motivated footballers, they gain respect from Solskjaer from experiencing a different management style, figuring as a priest of the Manchester United church, being seen and coached also as individuals.

His flat structure leader philosophy is maybe different and new in the football world, but is the winning way in other arenas as in IT entrepeneur companies.

Last edited by a moderator:

glazed

Do people think Ole is tactically sophisticated enough for the job? When City and Liverpool are dominating with a pressing game, is he capable of producing something as good or better in the long term?

His use of Lingard as a false nine was clever but his overall approach seems still fundamentally a simple one. I feel like Pep would eat him for breakfast. Maybe I'm wrong.

DBT85

Do people think Ole is tactically sophisticated enough for the job? When City and Liverpool are dominating with a pressing game, is he capable of producing something as good or better in the long term?

His use of Lingard as a false nine was clever but his overall approach seems still fundamentally a simple one. I feel like Pep would eat him for breakfast. Maybe I'm wrong.
Maybe we'll have a chance to find out before the end of the season when we have to play Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Chelsea and PSG twice?

ReddBalls

Why should he not? He beat Zenith St. Petersburg and Sevilla with Molde, which had a much inferior squad. Would he do that if he were not tactically sophisticated?

LordNinio

As Solskjaer hits 30%, I'm glad to see his stock still on the rise.

Recent results amongst the big 6 should highlight just what an incredible job he's doing.

I know a few have been bemoaning the style of play etc in the last few games, but it's that time of the season. Squads are tired, and all the big teams are struggling to find consistency.

Liverpool have drawn their last two, City lost, Arsenal and Chelsea have both lost games. Tottenham have kept winning, but have relied on late goals to get there.

Despite a new manager coming in, with a completely different style of play, we have remained consistent, 9/10 over the Christmas / New Year period is phenomenal.

We shouldn't be bemoaning the battling points we've picked up, but praising them. Coming through games like Leicester is a mark of champions.

We all know we need additions etc, but Solskjaer is working wonders with the squad at his disposal.

Reactions: golden_blunder

RedRotorhead

[QUOTE="As for people saying Solskjaer isn't cynical enough - tell that to players like Fred, Andreas P, Darmian and Valencia[/QUOTE]

Or Newcastle's Rob Lee in '98

glazed

Maybe we'll have a chance to find out before the end of the season when we have to play Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Chelsea and PSG twice?
Indeed. Which is why I'm slightly hesitant to jump on the Ole train until then

glazed

Why should he not? He beat Zenith St. Petersburg and Sevilla with Molde, which had a much inferior squad. Would he do that if he were not tactically sophisticated?
Good info but I want to see him against Liverpool PSG and City. I really haven't been overwhelmed with his tactical astuteness so far, wins aside. But I'm no expert.

crossy1686

career ending
Indeed. Which is why I'm slightly hesitant to jump on the Ole train until then
Do you not feel it's incredibly harsh to judge a manager on the toughest games we could possibly play? LVG had a pretty good record against the top 4 but couldn't beat teams in the bottom half.

glazed

Do you not feel it's incredibly harsh to judge a manager on the toughest games we could possibly play? LVG had a pretty good record against the top 4 but couldn't beat teams in the bottom half.
I'm not saying we need to win them. The question is can we even compete, playing the way we do? My fear is that we can't, and the squad and tactics actually need a complete overhaul. In other word Gary Neville is wrong and Jose was right..reverting to type is ultimately a dead end, no matter how appealing.

I really want this to be wrong, but it's a proposition that needs thorough examination before a decision is made.

Peter Brewer

One of the things Ole said after his Cardiff spell, was that he in hindsight regretted implementing his ideas too quick on the pitch.

Learning curve was too steep and it looked like a mess in Cardiff at times on pitch. Ole inherited Cardiff with a team of mostly physical players, and Ole didn't last to see his own system at work with more suitable footballers.

Solskjaer has learned to be more patient, building tactical patterns block by block in simple yet effective steps, at a healthier pace, and with better staff and footballers.

We are nowhere near the full tactical registry of Ole. I believe he may challenge Klopp and Pep on strategy given the same time and resources as they have had at their disposal.

Last edited by a moderator:

glazed

One of the things Ole said after his Cardiff spell, was that he in hindsight regretted implementing his ideas too quick on the pitch.

Learning curve was too steep and it looked like a mess in Cardiff at times on pitch. Ole inherited Cardiff with a team of mostly physical players, and Ole didn't last to see his own system at work with more suitable footballers.

Solskjaer has learned to be more patient, building tactical patterns block by block in simple yet effective steps, at a healthier pace, and with better staff and footballers.

We are nowhere near the full tactical registry of Ole. I believe he may challenge Klopp and Pep on strategy given the same time and resources as they have had at their disposal.
Let's hope so.

hocane

Why do people seem to think possession is equivelant to better football?

You can have 80 % possession and creating f*** all. Look at the liverpool game yesterday they dominated the possession yet West Ham had by far the best chances and were unlucky not to win the game.

I love this counter attacking, direct style under Ole. No more pointless sideways and backwards passing.

TRUERED89

Didn't Poch recently say 'trophies are for ego's'. I'm sorry but in my mind he's blown it just for that one comment, a united manager can never say something so ridiculous. its almost blasphemous!! give Ole the job, you'll never hear him say something so stupid!

George The Best

I would have no problem if, after careful evaluation, they give the job to Ole. I just have some niggling doubts about his managerial experience at this level and more so about his ability to attract the big players we so desperately need. Whoever gets it they will have my 100% support.

TRUERED89

I would have no problem if, after careful evaluation, they give the job to Ole. I just have some niggling doubts about his managerial experience at this level and more so about his ability to attract the big players we so desperately need. Whoever gets it they will have my 100% support.
Do you even know the Real Madrid managers name? probably not, will they still attract top players still? Absolutely. Man Utd is a ginormous football club world wide, Ole is a young exciting manager, with UTD in his blood playing positive attacking football, heading in the right direction. With a fat pay cheque on offer I see no reason why elite players would be put off. Although they were both flops we signed Di Maria and Falcao (considered elite at the time) whilst in the fecking Europa league and that past it LVG at the helm. its not always the manager who attracts the players its the allure of the club and ££££ more often than not, and united isn't lacking either of those factors...

crossy1686

career ending
I'm not saying we need to win them. The question is can we even compete, playing the way we do? My fear is that we can't, and the squad and tactics actually need a complete overhaul. In other word Gary Neville is wrong and Jose was right..reverting to type is ultimately a dead end, no matter how appealing.

I really want this to be wrong, but it's a proposition that needs thorough examination before a decision is made.
Technically we can compete no matter how we play as long as we have the players that can do what's asked of them. The luxury we have at United is that we can identify the best talent for the positions we need to play the kind of football we want to play and be successful.

As others have already suggested, a DOF who knows the club and what we're looking for is an absolute must, we must retain the DNA of the club and that includes the type of players we go for moving forward. I think the defence needs some serious improvement and maybe a winger but we're not that far off. We have some good youth players coming through who look exciting, lets just hope they're ready for first team football.

Moving forward, Solskjaer will have this team competing at every level if we allow him to. He's seen it and he's been there, he knows what it takes and the margins involved.

glazed

As others have already suggested, a DOF who knows the club and what we're looking for is an absolute must, we must retain the DNA of the club and that includes the type of players we go for moving forward.
I hear that a lot and often don't know what it means. If it means attacking flowing football, then we can all agree. But beyond that, what? If we played a high press would that be the DNA of the club? Or does it have to be 442 or 433? SAF played all kinds of formations and styles.

For me we need to adopt a style that meets the modern game AND entertains the fans. And it need to evolve. Otherwise we will never maintain our current burst of success.

Hughie77

Let's not grumble at the massive change in UTD, ole is so far along with the rest of the coaches getting what they need. Poch is still top of the list for some, but this set up along with additions to squad in summer, ie, CB RB and another CM. And these can take us to the top. And considering Poch will cost £40 million or so put that into a player instead.

crossy1686

career ending
I hear that a lot and often don't know what it means. If it means attacking flowing football, then we can all agree. But beyond that, what? If we played a high press would that be the DNA of the club? Or does it have to be 442 or 433? SAF played all kinds of formations and styles.

For me we need to adopt a style that meets the modern game AND entertains the fans. And it need to evolve. Otherwise we will never maintain our current burst of success.
By DNA I mean the values and the philosophy that the club abide by, look at Barcelona and Ajax, Bayern to an extent, and what they stand for. They're not 'just' football clubs, they're institutions.

As a tradition, United have always played wide, counter attacking football that usually involves pace and skill and is generally exciting to watch. More than that, we've always developed youth players and integrated them into the first team.

You can boil this down to youth players + attacking football = United but it's more than that. Any of you that have worked for major corporations will know what I mean by this. The way people speak, the level of expectation, the mindset, everything about it is forward thinking, positive and largely about development and being the best of the best. The way Solskjaer thinks and speaks in the pressers is 'United DNA', everything he says he genuinely means. It's so much more than tactics, it's an attitude or a way of being.

glazed

By DNA I mean the values and the philosophy that the club abide by, look at Barcelona and Ajax, Bayern to an extent, and what they stand for. They're not 'just' football clubs, they're institutions.

As a tradition, United have always played wide, counter attacking football that usually involves pace and skill and is generally exciting to watch. More than that, we've always developed youth players and integrated them into the first team.

You can boil this down to youth players + attacking football = United but it's more than that. Any of you that have worked for major corporations will know what I mean by this. The way people speak, the level of expectation, the mindset, everything about it is forward thinking, positive and largely about development and being the best of the best. The way Solskjaer thinks and speaks in the pressers is 'United DNA', everything he says he genuinely means. It's so much more than tactics, it's an attitude or a way of being.

That does seem to leave quite a lot of latitude for different tactics. Which brings us back to the question - how will he set us up in the long term? We don't really know.

Status
Not open for further replies.