[Poll] Next permanent United manager

Who do you think should be the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cathari

I am one of the infamous voters of Eddie Howe. I wasn't completely sold on Pochettino after José and I was looking for someone with attacking pedigree, which Howe seemingly delivers. He was also someone new, someone who represents something different which could make an exciting watch, but Ole has shown that this squad lacked energy, identity and passion and not exotic seasoning. It was lacking what Manchester United is about, and I would like to keep it this way.

No rocket science needed, the next manager should fit with Manchester United's terms of playing philosophy, and not the other way around. Hopefully, the board has learned this after back-to-back manager failures. Appointing Ole advocates this, and I think almost everyone here agrees the next manager needs to fit the club's core principles. This is why I am deleting my vote for Eddie Howe, who's system is extremely strict and I don't think this squad, nor the club, would benefit from another big overhaul of playing philosophy. We all know it would be another big «process», and I f... hate that word.

On Pochettino, this past few months has made me learn a lot about him from reading the forum. He seems a very good candidate indeed, and one that fits the bill. Obviously Ole fits too, having hit the ground running the way he has. So as of now, I believe the whole Ole or Poch debate is a win-win situation for us. It would be great if Woodward could somehow lure Pochettino this way, and at the same time if Ole keeps it up and becomes a viable candidate this spring that would be excellent too.

Lastly, I acknowledge that comparing Pochettino with Ole there is an experience deficit favoring Pochettino. But, assuming the results this spring is acceptable, I'd go out on a limb suggesting that the lower terms Ole would come at and his United know how offers compensation for this deficit.

So, I won't cast my vote as of yet.

Edit. Does not seem possible to retract a vote, so I'll just vote on Pochettino for now.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I am one of the infamous voters of Eddie Howe. I wasn't completely sold on Pochettino after José and I was looking for someone with attacking pedigree, which Howe seemingly delivers. He was also someone new, someone who represents something different which could make an exciting watch, but Ole has shown that this squad lacked energy, identity and passion and not exotic seasoning. It was lacking what Manchester United is about, and I would like to keep it this way.

No rocket science needed, the next manager should fit with Manchester United's terms of playing philosophy, and not the other way around. Hopefully, the board has learned this after back-to-back manager failures. Appointing Ole advocates this, and I think almost everyone here agrees the next manager needs to fit the club's core principles. This is why I am deleting my vote for Eddie Howe, who's system is extremely strict and I don't think this squad, nor the club, would benefit from another big overhaul of playing philosophy. We all know it would be another big «process», and I f... hate that word.

On Pochettino, this past few months has made me learn a lot about him from reading the forum. He seems a very good candidate indeed, and one that fits the bill. Obviously Ole fits too, having hit the ground running the way he has. So as of now, I believe the whole Ole or Poch debate is a win-win situation for us. It would be great if Woodward could somehow lure Pochettino this way, and at the same time if Ole keeps it up and becomes a viable candidate this spring that would be excellent too.

Lastly, I acknowledge that comparing Pochettino with Ole there is an experience deficit favoring Pochettino. But, assuming the results this spring is acceptable, I'd go out on a limb suggesting that the lower terms Ole would come at and his United know how offers compensation for this deficit.

So, I won't cast my vote as of yet. I'll just keep enjoying this as much as possible. Glory glory.
Vote for Ole! :p

crossy1686

career ending
Be funny to see the tune change if Poch somehow sneaks the title from here.

Still should be him regardless.
That would be a dilemma but then again we're not after Ranieri are we?

Why should it be him regardless? Want to elaborate? Something you're currently not happy with?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Why would you want to change anything at the moment? Let's allow him to progress as he is doing at the moment, and then assess at the end of the season.
A big part of me doesn't want to change anything at all.

The problem however with a temporary manager getting the full time gig the season after is that the players and manager respond differently because of the change of circumstance.

If we appointed Ole permanently now, we'd see if the current form was a temporary thing related to a temporary manager until the end of the season or if it's a permanent thing and Ole and the other coaching staff really are making that difference.

Part of me doesn't want to rock the boat because it's so damn good at the minute and I'm loving it, part of me does to see if we hopefully get through it and carry on as we are anyway. If we do, winner winner chicken dinner. If we don't then we've got our answer as to whether Ole is the right step.

It's all about the butterfly effect of making the decision at the right time. Is it now, is it in summer, is it never? We'll never know about the other options and whether they would be better once we decide which one to go for.

shaky

How would you expect the tune to change? What Poch achieves this season is pretty irrelevant to who gets the Utd job. It's Ole's results that will decide this. If he keeps up the standard he's set so far, replacing him would be ridiculous even if Spurs win the league and CL.

zenith

If at this point it is between ole and poch then chances are very high that we'll get ole as our permanent manager by the summer.

The chances of luring poch away from spurs are very very remote, especially with levy in the way.

vivaronaldo

the next few matches will test ole ....he gets through those in decent shape then that could very well seal the deal

but some people wanting him signed right now based on a 10 game period need to chill....this 6 month trial is perfect to get the decision right over a good set of time , and lets not forget ole isn't being chased so we have time....

croadyman

Would love Spurs to sneak the title just for my dad who has had to put up with years of seeing Utd win everything. Will rest on how they fare in those four huge league games

EngimaMK

If at this point it is between ole and poch then chances are very high that we'll get ole as our permanent manager by the summer.

The chances of luring poch away from spurs are very very remote, especially with levy in the way.
Completely agree. If we can't land poch then I'd rather OGS than anyone else

sugar_kane

The United board clearly never expected Ole to do as well as he has, I think they expected the most he would do is lift the fans, put a smile back on faces, generate occasional flashes of brilliance but ultimately a patchy record and both parties go their separate ways at the end of the season, satisfied and some ghosts laid to rest.

For Ole a dream fulfilled and the Cardiff nightmare somewhat forgotten, for United time bought to get their shit together and moral of both fans and players boosted.

The club already knew Top 4 was a pipe dream, the season had been smashed into tiny pieces already and all that mattered was a moral boost and getting this season out of the way.

I suspect a lot of fans felt this way too, except with a lot more love and respect for Ole in spite of his disaster at Cardiff.

Meanwhile, lots of time for the club to negotiate with Poch or find a suitable back up.

Instead Ole has come in and done infinitely better than we all thought, and arguably better than any other manager might have not just because of his managerial philosophy and tactical nous (which is not exclusive to Ole) but because of his deep understanding of the club and connection it’s history as well as the fans.

It all seems so obvious in retrospect now.

The unexpected has happened and Ole has smashed all expectations - even only ten games in.

Even if we go out of the Champions League against PSG and get exposed by the likes of City/Liverpool the memory of these first ten games, and the finest Premier League start of any manager in its history, is seared into the fans minds.

He has done enough to strongly hint that with more time and some solid signings next season could be a great one - the club have no other choice but to take the plunge now despite whatever their original plans were.

Alternative theory - Poch was a smokescreen to let Ole find his feet with zero pressure and was the club’s target man all along because Woody is a fecking genius.

ReddBalls

I think Ole Aas the p all along.
Go all out for Pochettino and have Ole as our back up plan, Ole seems egoless and would make it easier for us to do this. Go on Woody.
Yeah, let's disrupt everything again now that it works. There is obviously a 100% guarantee that the outsider Pochettino will perform better than Ole.

Bojan11

Love this approach.

"Lets change everything and hope it goes as well as it currently is!"

Glad our posters aren't on the board.
What do you mean change everything?

I would still choose Potch over Ole. But the next month is going to be a decisive month for me. Good home performances vs PSG and Liverpool then yeah I would want Ole. I’m not really bothered if we knock out PSG. But I know the team is capable of giving them a game.

So currently Potch is still my main pick. But if Ole does well in the next month then I would go for him.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I think Ole Aas the p all along.

Yeah, let's disrupt everything again now that it works. There is obviously a 100% guarantee that the outsider Pochettino will perform better than Ole.
Love this approach.

"Lets change everything and hope it goes as well as it currently is!"

Glad our posters aren't on the board.
I'd still take the proven pedigree of Pochettino over Ole even as well as it is going. Ole's is proving to be a pretty good back up plan so far. He's got more time to further impress but I'd still take Pochettino. I know there could be moments where I'll second guess myself;like a magical OT CL night.

Adebesi

Its got to the point now that I think I would actually feel disappointed if we appointed Poch.

It would be like if I was a kid with a Spectrum 48K, playing Frogger while enviously looking at my friends with their Playstations and Xboxes. The Spectrum is a wonderful machine of course, in its day the king for computer games, but its time is long behind it. Suddenly my mum buys me a PS4 and I am absolutely delighted with it. I have a whole load of games, Im streaming Netflix, I have made some friends on the PS community, I couldnt be happier. But then one day my mum comes in and says sorry, there has been a mistake, you need to give your PS4 back, I have this XBox One for you instead.

The problem is, I dont want an XBox One. If you had given me the XBox One in the first place I would be totally happy with it. Id have been delighted, it would have been a huge upgrade on my Spectrum and ultimately I wouldnt have known anything else. But that isnt what happened. I got a PS4, Im half way through Horizon, after that Im going to play Bloodborne, what am I supposed to do, just forget about them? No. Just no.

crossy1686

career ending
I'd still take the proven pedigree of Pochettino over Ole even as well as it is going. Ole's is proving to be a pretty good back up plan so far. He's got more time to further impress but I'd still take Pochettino. I know there could be moments where I'll second guess myself;like a magical OT CL night.
What do you mean change everything?

I would still choose Potch over Ole. But the next month is going to be a decisive month for me. Good home performances vs PSG and Liverpool then yeah I would want Ole. I’m not really bothered if we knock out PSG. But I know the team is capable of giving them a game.

So currently Potch is still my main pick. But if Ole does well in the next month then I would go for him.
Agree with your points but you're speaking as though you know for certain Pochettino will be a success based on what he's done in the past. We've thought the same thing about other manager we've appointed only to see the glaring issues in hindsight.

Bringing Pochettino in would mean an almost wholesale change of backroom staff, and when you do that to a club like United, you're losing staff that know the club and it's culture inside out. On top of that, you get a couple of comments from Pochettino about "cups only boost egos" and we're on the slippery slope to firing another manager after two seasons.

We've currently got something that works, that the whole league would buy if we could bottle it and sell it and we're willing to throw it away because people are enamoured with the name 'Pochettino'.

We'd be effectively bringing in a manager and his backroom staff just to hope that he does what Solskjaer is currently doing/saying. It's a risk that just doesn't make any sense, and an expensive one at that.

ReddBalls

We'd be effectively bringing in a manager and his backroom staff just to hope that he does what Solskjaer is currently doing/saying. It's a risk that just doesn't make any sense, and an expensive one at that.
This. This. This. I just can't understand why people see this. Guess the grass will always be greener on the other side of sense.

Gator Nate

Alternative theory - Poch was a smokescreen to let Ole find his feet with zero pressure and was the club’s target man all along because Woody is a fecking genius.
I like this. I like it a lot. But no one is going to buy that Woody a fecking genius.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Updated polling after beating Brighton and Poch now has a mere 1006 (49.2%) of the vote, with OleOleOle rising 119 votes to 384 and 18.8%

Where is the tide going to turn do we think? Probably not just if we beat #ItsOnlyArsenal.
Probably just a case of people not thinking about this thread and not changing their vote. Surely Ole has to be a lot higher in the polls than this. In fact, I would think he would be the favourite by now...

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Agree with your points but you're speaking as though you know for certain Pochettino will be a success based on what he's done in the past. We've thought the same thing about other manager we've appointed only to see the glaring issues in hindsight.

Bringing Pochettino in would mean an almost wholesale change of backroom staff, and when you do that to a club like United, you're losing staff that know the club and it's culture inside out. On top of that, you get a couple of comments from Pochettino about "cups only boost egos" and we're on the slippery slope to firing another manager after two seasons.

We've currently got something that works, that the whole league would buy if we could bottle it and sell it and we're willing to throw it away because people are enamoured with the name 'Pochettino'.

Of course we don't know whether Poch will work out but guys with his body of work are considered good options. As far as the upheaval to the back room staff, that's the nature of the beast, you talking as if it's an anomaly. You make a good point about his mentality and that remains to be seen if he's just adjusting to his environment (Spurs not being a major trophy winning side in the EPL era). You're giving far too much credit to Ole's 11(?) game stint so far, "bottle it and sell it". And I'm not enamoured with the name but his body of work in England which has trended upwards for years now, why not the next step with us? I get it, you don't think Poch is worth the risk, I do, let's agree to disagree.

Jordielaforge

Let’s look at this objectively. If we had sacked Mourinho and appointed the next ‘preferred’ choice, let’s say Poch, could he possibly have done what Ole has? Could anyone have done what Ole has?

Couple that with the talk of true tests against PSG/Liverpool/Chelsea/ City etc. Don’t you all actually believe we now could win these games? I do. Similarly, over the last 6 years would you have believed we could win them? I didn’t.

For the 1st time in 6 years I am extremely excited to be a United supporter again. Olé Gunnar Solskjaer has got Manchester United playing like Manchester United, with a good backroom staff and genuine tactical nous.

This is a no brainier. The job is his. Let’s not forget Pochettino hasn’t won anything at Spurs and let’s be honest, it doesn’t look like they will. I suggest there doesn’t seem to be a winning mentality there.

Compare that to Ole and his way of talking and in particular ‘winning’, there’s no argument or comparison. Ole has won everything at United, won the league with Molde and pulled up trees. Cardiff was a bad job to take as teams that look like getting relegated, usually do.

I suspect Ed has already decided on Ole, with the input of SAF and DG. I don’t think money comes into this now.

Let’s also not forget the SAF was Oles age when he took over.

Last edited by a moderator:

hubbuh

Go all out for Pochettino and have Ole as our back up plan, Ole seems egoless and would make it easier for us to do this. Go on Woody.
Ew. How classless are you willing to see United go? It’s often levelled that we’re too sentimental as a club. This is going far, far too drastically in the other direction, and thankfully would never happen.

reddaz71

Strongly suspect its already Ole's, its hard to argue against his appointment given his start but suspecting part of the 'caretaker' title was also designed to keep the purse strings closed in the winter transfer window!

GJNJ

I don't really get this 'the board are making decisions to save money' narrative that keeps popping up on different threads. Whether it's the cost of Poch or signing player's I don't see it. They would have paid money should the right player become available just they didn't want to pay for another Jose dad's army signing (weren't we fruitlessly chasing Varane for 100m) . They need the club to be successful to make more money.

If Poch doesn't come then it will be because a) they have picked Ole based on result, playing style, vision etc b) Spurs won't release Poch and/or he wants to stay c) Poch wants to go to Real. D) they choose someone else.

They will probably already have an idea if he is interested in coming or not. They have to pay Molde money if they make Ole permanent so surely Zidane would be the cheaper option. They have invested alot of money really poorly in the playing staff and manager's over the last 5 years I can't see them skimping on compensation to get who they want.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
I'm firmly on Poch's side, might change my opinion and be on Ole's side, just need to see what and how he will do against Fulham, PSG, Chelsea, Liverpool, Crystal Palace, Southampton, PSG, Arsenal, City, Watford, Wolves, West Ham, Everton, Chelsea, Huddersfield, Cardiff, If he wins all those games, while playing supersonic football and scoring at least 23 goals every game, while winning FA Cup and CL, of course.. then I will, maybe, change my vote for Ole, shut up, I said maybe!!
But if Poch wins top 4 trophy, I will vote for Poch!!!

Peter Brewer

I'm firmly on Poch's side, might change my opinion and be on Ole's side, just need to see what and how he will do against Fulham, PSG, Chelsea, Liverpool, Crystal Palace, Southampton, PSG, Arsenal, City, Watford, Wolves, West Ham, Everton, Chelsea, Huddersfield, Cardiff, If he wins all those games, while playing supersonic football and scoring at least 23 goals every game, while winning FA Cup and CL, of course.. then I will, maybe, change my vote for Ole, shut up, I said maybe!!
Almost exactly what I was thinking too.

Assuming you mean scoring 2-3 goals, not 23 goals per match. But I would expect at least 50% clean sheets as well to join the Ole bandwagon, to be honest.

jerseyman

This is no brainer.
9 out of 10. Passion and love for the club. Understanding the values, positive football, enthusiasm, excitement for the fans.
Sign him up ASAP

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
If he wins all those games, while playing supersonic football and scoring at least 23 goals every game, while winning FA Cup and CL, of course.. then I will, maybe, change my vote for Ole, shut up, I said maybe!!
:lol::lol:

Tony247

:lol::lol:

bushyboy

I voted for Zidane before Solskjaer was appointed. Surprised and delighted for the turnaround. Top 4 didn't look possible with the other bloke in charge. If Utd finish top 4, I'll change my vote.
I voted for Zidane for being a winning coach and one of the greatest players. That rubs off on players and will take them to a higher level.
As good a job as Pochettino has done in developing players, he hasn't won anything and I think Real Madrid is his dream job.

TRUERED89

We can go 4th today! Come on Ole, what a job you’ve done thus far... it all looked over after the Anfield defeat!

Status
Not open for further replies.