[Poll] Next permanent United manager

Who do you think should be the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

onemanarmy

My pick would be Steve McClaren.

Or Michel Preud'homme, who took over at FC Twente after McClaren had won the league and immediately left for Wolfsburg.

Preud'homme had them playing such lovely and adventurous football. He's also an unhinged passionate gung ho style loving madman at times, he would command respect because he's a native French speaker and was a top level player himself back in the day. I read he also appointed José Mourinho at Benfica once when he was working there as a DoF, this would make things go full circle, after Mourinho taking over from his mentor Van Gaal.

Now none of this above actually makes any sense, but weirdly enough it's still quite literally about 13758293 times more sensible than putting Erik ten Hag on the poll list as an option to become the next permanent Mancheser United manager.
I read Preud'homme and thought you had gone crazy ;) His level is Belgium/Holland, can't deny his passion.

Ten Hag was closer to being fired than anything else a while ago. He's lucky to have the most talented Ajax team in decades.

youngrell

Do you think that maybe if Eddy How was to come here he might get a similar situation to the David Moyes one?
It's possible of course, but I think Howe is a bit more progressive than Moyes and appears to have more drive and ambition.

He would be a gamble but what he's achieved with Bournemouth is remarkable, a bit underrated really.

Canagel

@abdo99

For me Poch is a safe pair of hands in that respect - he's certainly a step in the right direction and he guarantees good development of players and a solid foundation.

My only concern is some are expecting him as the perfect candidate who will answer all our prayers, but IMO his teams a) have not won anything on the big stage and b) are the least prettiest team out of the current top 5 in terms of sexy football albeit Sarri's Chelsea lacks stardust in its squad bar Hazard. So he's not the complete article and remains a work in progress.

From my own personal perspective - I am less concerned about 'winning' but I do want someone that guarantees very exciting, fast flowing football as I think that will prove the key to toppling City/Liverpool.

I think Favre is one to watch as his Dortmund side are gorgeous to watch and at the moment they're doing quite well - but Poch might be a more solid appointment.

Either way whatever happens I do think our next appointment will be a step forward unless of course we balls it up completely and go for another defence minded manager in Conte/Allegri/Simeone or a old school United player out of sentimentality.
Yeah I would say Poch's teams are powerful and very physical more than anything - they absolutely bullied Chelsea on and off the ball a few weeks ago but if given the reigns at United with the money we have can definitely build a team to compete with the likes of City and Liverpool for the title. At the moment we have zero identity and Pochettino is a step in the right direction. I like Favre too, Dortmund have been scintillating going forward and will be interesting to see the Spurs vs Dortmund game in the CL to see how the two styles compare.

Crashoutcassius

Does anyone really think Zidane plays amazing football? They aren't really a high press which people have called out for and his press and shape have been compared to Mourinhos rather than Guardiolas. His big challenge as madrid manager was to sort the defence and take players like James and Bale out of the team to fit in a DM. Obviously Madrid have played attractive football at times but with the best collection of players in the last 20 years I would still describe many performances as pragmatic. Do people honestly know what we are getting or are they making assumptions like that did with LVG and Mourinho in the past?

EDIT: does anyone also have a concern for how far behind a poor enough barce he finished? Is he the best cup manager around and a poor league manager? I don't take much away from him but think we could do a lot better to fit our team and situation, building a new philosophy and recruitment policy

Eddy_JukeZ

Does anyone really think Zidane plays amazing football? They aren't really a high press which people have called out for and his press and shape have been compared to Mourinhos rather than Guardiolas. His big challenge as madrid manager was to sort the defence and take players like James and Bale out of the team to fit in a DM. Obviously Madrid have played attractive football at times but with the best collection of players in the last 20 years I would still describe many performances as pragmatic. Do people honestly know what we are getting or are they making assumptions like that did with LVG and Mourinho in the past?

EDIT: does anyone also have a concern for how far behind a poor enough barce he finished? Is he the best cup manager around and a poor league manager? I don't take much away from him but think we could do a lot better to fit our team and situation, building a new philosophy and recruitment policy
He is a great man manager.

He doesn't have a clear identity or style, but he is very adaptable. And he was very good tactically in the champions league.

He had 2 superb league campaigns and 1 poor one.

The big concern with me regarding Zidane is his ability to retool or build a squad. He didn't bring in any players at Real. The main thing he did squad-wise was integrate Casemiro into the XI.

Eddy_JukeZ

They want to bring in a DOF before making any decisions.

I agree Potch is favourite but he’s not a guarantee to come. Spurs are not just going to let us walk in and take their manager without a fight.
I agree Levy won't let up without a major fight.

But I still think if the club wanted Zidane, they would give him the job mid-season. We'll see how it plays out I suppose.

davidmichael

Lots of talk of us wanting a technical director/sporting director/director of football appointment and again lots of talk of Paul Mitchell, Pocchettino is for me the overwhelming favourite for the permanent job and has worked successfully with Paul Mitchell so I don’t see anything other than that combination.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
May as well add Ole to the poll if he’s going to be interim.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How that works with buying other club manager? If we go for Poch; we pay random transfer fee or just rebuy his contract? Both ways will be expensive. Not looking good.

Thebaldingbob

Eddie Howe everyday.

He’s young, has done wonders at Bournemouth on a shoestring budget.
And he’s got them playing decent football.

We don’t want one of the many European managers who shuffle around Europe going from one job to another, like Mourinho!!

Last edited by a moderator:

jesperjaap

He is a great man manager.

He doesn't have a clear identity or style, but he is very adaptable. And he was very good tactically in the champions league.

He had 2 superb league campaigns and 1 poor one.

The big concern with me regarding Zidane is his ability to retool or build a squad. He didn't bring in any players at Real. The main thing he did squad-wise was integrate Casemiro into the XI.
Yes kind of ironic he achieved what he did pretty much with Mourinhos side with a couple of outs and bringing youngsters in. His achievements in the champions league were incredible.....were they in the league though, still not sure whether we have any idea how good a manager he is myself.

Red_toad

I think we have to get over this so called attacking style not all of Sir Alex's teams played swashbuckling, exciting, attacking football some of his teams did but some of the title winning teams were very pragmatic. I think it's a myth that United fans will only accept attacking football what they want most of all is winning football and to be competing for and winning major trophies and for me Simeone is by far the best candidate for doing that.
The club have said they'll get a manager who does attacking football. There is no 'we' in this... As for him being the best candidate, that's very debatable.

jesperjaap

Cant deny there are three or four managers in that list I have never even heard of. WIth us hiring an interim manager I do wonder if we already have someone lined up for the summer and I hope it is Pochettino though not sure that will happen. Worrying if not as personally of all the other managers nobody stands out. When Ferguson retired and everybody said Guardiola the name that stood out for me was at DOrtmund....Klopp.
The name that stood out for e the last 18months IS Nagelsmann....but he is going to Leipzig.

As for Mourinho, was never my choice despite a fantastic record. I said at the time I was worried he was past his best and had changed fro the cocky confident manager at Porto, Chelsea and Inter to a sulky one durign his tie in Madrid and since. His success here was all about adapting his management to the club and if he did that he woudl prove himself one of the all tie greats, sadly he has tried to adapt the club to his philospophy, never going to work. I still think he can be a huge success in Italy, anywhere else now I cant see hi succeeding at a big club.

buchansleftleg

Duncan castles tweet (straight from Jose's mouth) was revealing to me in a different way.

He refers to the decision being "brought forward" to remove Jose, implying he had already been told he was going at the end of the season.

This means hopefully we had already sounded out a replacement who did not want to join until then, either for personal reasons (Zidane maybe) or contractual ones (Poch).

Maybe we have tried to follow what city did by bringing in Guardiola's accolytes ahead of time to prepare for his management.

Alternatively I could see us hiring the DOF to act as an interim manager and then they move upstairs to fulfill their DOF role. In that instance I could see us going for Blanc to do such a thing. He has strong links to the French FA and could be a useful pipeline of talent.

The interesting thing would be if our managerial target, wherever they are, would be influencing who we might buy in January.

It might explain how Woodward was reluctant to spend money on certain players if he already had a future new manager's target list in mind.

IrishMcD

Worries me that 19 people buy into the rubbish the British media push, and voted for Gareth Southgate. I'd rather LVG back than have Southgate anywhere near the club.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It's kind of amusing how so many posters assume that it's just a question of how much it will cost to "take" Pochettino, without ever wondering if he's actually willing to leave Spurs for United.

Graham Roberts - an ex-Spurs' player with plenty of club connections - comments on the media claims that Pochettino wants to go: “Ha ha ha ha total rubbish"

Tiber

It's kind of amusing how so many posters assume that it's just a question of how much it will cost to "take" Pochettino, without ever wondering if he's actually willing to leave Spurs for United.

Graham Roberts - an ex-Spurs' player with plenty of club connections - comments on the media claims that Pochettino wants to go: “Ha ha ha ha total rubbish"
Basically scripture then

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Do you ever learn?

If we want Poch, we'll get him. The man's ambitious and will hardly hang around to be hamstrung by the same constraints as Arsenal for years when he can go and manage one of the biggest clubs in the world.

The only way I can see him staying at Spurs is if another Griezmann situation arises and he gets cold feet. But again, he's shown he's decisive in moving onto bigger and better things, so our only competition for him is if Real suddenly come calling.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Look I’m not saying this is beyond possibility that Poch would be considering this, but what I will say is none of you seem to know Poch or what he holds valuable, who he admired as a coach and what he is all about. Most United fans I hear are, money will buy him. You need to offer him much more than that for him to consider the role.

Take some time to research him and find out what he is about. The whole media spin of *hoe couldn’t turn United down* will probably piss him off a lot more than you think. Again it’s only my opinion he will stay but I can’t gaurantee anything.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Do you ever learn?

If we want Poch, we'll get him. The man's ambitious and will hardly hang around to be hamstrung by the same constraints as Arsenal for years when he can go and manage one of the biggest clubs in the world.

The only way I can see him staying at Spurs is if another Griezmann situation arises and he gets cold feet. But again, he's shown he's decisive in moving onto bigger and better things, so our only competition for him is if Real suddenly come calling.
Griezmann trolled the feck out of you, he was a complete wanker.

In Rainbows

I like Poch, but I have reservations as to whether or not Spurs are that easy on the eye enough. It is an improvement on Jose for sure, but does watching Spurs really set the heart racing? For me Favre's Dortmund side is much more aesthetically pleasing.
That's where I'm at

kundalini

Do you ever learn?

Real Madrid got turned down by Pochettino/Levy this season so I'm struggling to understand why he would join United ? Our last 3 managers have lasted for less than a year, 2 seasons, and 2.5 seasons.

If Pochettino wanted a role with more cash to spend and Spurs were willing to release him, then he would currently be in charge of Real Madrid.

The only reason I could see that might explain why he would reject Madrid then join United is if United were willing to pay a huge compensation fee, while Madrid weren't.

Pochettino will be the Spurs manager for several more seasons. It is his big project. When it comes to an end, then he will be a serious candidate for shorter term jobs where you need to win the title within 2 years or you're fired.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Look I’m not saying this is beyond possibility that Poch would be considering this, but what I will say is none of you seem to know Poch or what he holds valuable, who he admired as a coach and what he is all about. Most United fans I hear are, money will buy him. You need to offer him much more than that for him to consider the role.

Take some time to research him and find out what he is about. The whole media spin of *hoe couldn’t turn United down* will probably piss him off a lot more than you think. Again it’s only my opinion he will stay but I can’t gaurantee anything.
I think you're right, we learned the hard way with Klopp that you can't just flash our badge (or money) and hope that people will abandon projects they've spent years on. Would need to work pretty hard to convince him on sporting grounds and I'm not at all confident in Woodward's ability to do that.

I certainly think he'd be open to it, as the Times were reporting, but it's a big leap from there to done dealio.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Take some time to research him and find out what he is about. The whole media spin of *hoe couldn’t turn United down* will probably piss him off a lot more than you think. Again it’s only my opinion he will stay and I can’t gaurantee anything.
Not being funny, but you don't know Poch's mind any better than the rest of us. The only thing you have to go on is what he says in the press, which is available to everyone, not just Spurs fans, and truth be told, much of he says is pretty standard/generic PR guff.

You should know by now that a great deal of what players/managers say to the media should be taken with a grain of salt, and certainly not to be considered fact.

chiz2kul

Fascinating time point in United history no doubt. Cant afford to screw it up yet again. Personally think Silva is the man for the job.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Pochettino is great on every count but I don't think he plays very sexy/attacking football. That's the one negative which I suppose applies to Zidane as well.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Not being funny, but you don't know Poch's mind any better than the rest of us. The only thing you have to go on is what he says in the press, which is available to everyone, not just Spurs fans, and truth be told, much of he says is pretty standard/generic PR guff.

You should know by now that a great deal of what players/managers say to the media should be taken with a grain of salt and not considered to be fact.
I agree to an extent, I don’t pretend to know Poch, I know what I read and from what he respects. I know most people hate Balague, but I’d you want to know what Poch is thinking, he is a good place to start. Also look at Belisa career and idea and you will also know what Poch is all about.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I like Poch, but I have reservations as to whether or not Spurs are that easy on the eye enough. It is an improvement on Jose for sure, but does watching Spurs really set the heart racing? For me Favre's Dortmund side is much more aesthetically pleasing.
No it doesn't. Like I said, he's perfect on so many counts. Develops talent. Builds from within. Did a superb job at Spurs. Good man manager. Has build a cohesive team at Spurs.

The only negative is that the football isn't as joyous or pretty as Klopp and Guardiola.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

You should know by now that a great deal of what players/managers say to the media should be taken with a grain of salt, and certainly not to be considered fact.
But most United fans ignore everything that he has said and written. I don’t pretend to know him personally. Most things people have said on here in the last 12 hours is personal opinion, nothing more. I’m trying to say what I have learned, I doubt most uinted fans have listened to mauve of what Poch has actually said.

Listar

Any reason why not Jardim?

From FourFourTwo:
Jardim was sacked as Monaco head coach in October after a terrible start to 2018/19 in Ligue 1 and the Champions League, but that shouldn't detract from the 44-year-old's sparkling legacy at Stade Louis II over his four-year tenure.

Backed by some high-profile transfer recruits, Jardim won Ligue 1 2016/17 – Monaco's first league title in 17 years – toppling the dominant PSG. Not only that, he also led them to the Champions League semi-finals while playing an attractive style of football... the type of which United's fans crave.

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...ourinho-manchester-united#r4VjUH3q3KG60k0q.99

Last edited:

bigphil

Honestly i have no clue, i voted for poch but feel he will be at real madrid come next season with eddy how going to spurs. Poch will do the usual 2-3 seasons at real and then join us, in those 2-3 years i think eddy will do we at spurs also.

I havent seen too much of the other managers to make a judgement on them for our job. Although i doubt zidane wants to manage in the prem.

I did think that having an icon like giggs, butt, ole if he does well with phelan as no2 would be a good step for the club. They know the club inside out and have worked with the best in sir alex.

Its so hard as i dont want us in the position again in a few years.
We went with moyes, poor experience at a top club with negative views.
Lvg with his philosophy and been there done it.
Jose who was tipped as one of the best managers but like the others....failed.

Lets see how someone who knows the club does... i want it to be special.

Lam

I don't have confidence in Ed or the Board to make the right choice. Also worried that good managers would not want to come because of Ed.

Remember - Moyes' original 6-year contract still has 6 months left!

T A

Will be Zidane, Blanc or Giggs realistically. In these three, i'd go with Blanc personally, but Zidane is the most likely to happen.

Dont be naive Levy would ever lose Pochettino after making him pen a new deal just back in May

Status
Not open for further replies.