[Poll] Next permanent United manager

Who do you think should be the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivaronaldo

as great as this honeymoon period is , ole is untested in the transfer window and questions remain can he build this team to challenge...don't get me wrong , has to be in the mix , but im not getting carried away with this just yet

imperative we get this next appointment right and give whoever we choose time to build

Chairman Steve

The best way to look at this is any manager is considered a risk regardless of how they're doing right now

When was the last time Barcelona appointed a manager that had the highest reputation among football managers at the time of the appointment? Riijkaard had got a Dutch team relegated. Guardiola was the youth team coach. Vilanouva was Guardiola's No.2. Martino had never managed in Europe. Luis Enrique wasn't great at Roma or Celta Vigo. Valverde never really stood out at Bilbao.

Literally the last time they went and got the best managerial name on the market was LVG in nineties.

Miscemayl

Changed my vote to Ole.. For all of Poch's experience, there's less guarantee he can handle the role and the expectations of this club. Managers with vastly more success and experience couldn't make it work.

Ole gets it, he is United and had demonstrated that he's not fazed by the job. He will make mistakes but he'll learn from it.

I rather have Ole and even if he ultimately fails, it's better than swapping him out and wondering what could've been.

Rozski

I rather have Ole and even if he ultimately fails, it's better than swapping him out and wondering what could've been.
This is really coming in to play for me now too. If we bring him on and he doesn’t deliver the results that we need over the next couple years then oh well. We’ve survived worse and we would bounce back. But not hiring him and always wondering would kill me. I follow football because it’s fun and entertaining and to me Ole is the option that brings the maximum amount of both of those.

DBT85

as great as this honeymoon period is , ole is untested in the transfer window and questions remain can he build this team to challenge...don't get me wrong , has to be in the mix , but im not getting carried away with this just yet

imperative we get this next appointment right and give whoever we choose time to build
Managers are not the ones signing players any more. It's not like it used to be.

MorraGambit

Why change what has worked? We know Poch has his own credential. The same way LVG and Mourinho came with their own credentials and history of winning. But we learned that sometimes a manager's record might not transfer well to a new club. Ole has brought us to the winning ways once again. Why risk starting over? Are we prepared for another long transition years hoping that things might work? (This is assuming we keep our positive progress with probably minor blips here and there).

jerseyman

Give job to Ole.
He has the passion, loves the club.
The results have been great so far, I love watching Utd again.

M Utd

Changed my vote to Ole.. For all of Poch's experience, there's less guarantee he can handle the role and the expectations of this club. Managers with vastly more success and experience couldn't make it work.

Ole gets it, he is United and had demonstrated that he's not fazed by the job. He will make mistakes but he'll learn from it.

I think I'm with you currently. Fingers crossed we will have to see how the next couple of months go. To be fair to Ole he's done a wonderful job so far.

Last edited:

M Utd

Give job to Ole.
He has the passion, loves the club.
The results have been great so far, I love watching Utd again.
That last point is so true. It's great to have a great atmosphere back at OT too. I kind of forgot what that was like.

M Utd

Why change what has worked? We know Poch has his own credential. The same way LVG and Mourinho came with their own credentials and history of winning. But we learned that sometimes a manager's record might not transfer well to a new club. Ole has brought us to the winning ways once again. Why risk starting over? Are we prepared for another long transition years hoping that things might work? (This is assuming we keep our positive progress with probably minor blips here and there).
I'd also sorry about changes the coaching staff if we get another manager in too. It's probably still too early to give it to Ole now but he and his coaching team can't do much more.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
5 Live commentator reckons Ole has been given the job, unofficially. No idea why he thinks that.

minoo-utd

I think he will be giving the job before this season ends after a good couple of results against PSG and Liverpool IMO. Just hope of that's the case we take our time to decide.

George The Best

Jury still out for me. OGS was a disaster at Cardiff and Warnock was a clear upgrade on that so still undecided if I want a lesser light than Warnock. Can’t argue with the results since Ollie came in, just don’t know how much that is attributed to him. Master stroke in getting Mike Phelan back and he’s only got to concentrate on the First Team and not bother with all the other things going on at the club - Under 23’s, Academy, scouting etc. Can he deal with the bigger picture if put in charge, can he attract the best players or would they be more tempted to want to work with someone like Poch. It’s a real dilemma for the club. Think they are right to take their time before deciding - just hope they get it right.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't get why people still bring up his time at Cardiff. It's just illogical. If he'd managed another massive team and it was a disaster, fair enough, but it was bloody Cardiff.

George The Best

I don't get why people still bring up his time at Cardiff. It's just illogical. If he'd managed another massive team and it was a disaster, fair enough, but it was bloody Cardiff.
Just that Cardiff have improved massively since. That is what we need Utd to do.

Sentient Meat

I agree that his ability to attract world class players during a transfer window is the main concern at this point. Also, the team can only get by on the excitement of playing for a new manager for so long. It seems like it naturally has dissipated somewhat, and we are only getting a little lucky and winning games we were losing or drawing earlier in the season. If we can get far in the Champions League or win something that will give top players confidence, maybe you give him the job. The sentimental side of me says "Sure, why not..." but the pragmatic side wonders how far good vibes will take you.

el3mel

Just that Cardiff have improved massively since. That is what we need Utd to do.
If Pep takes on Cardiff he'll fall miserably with them. In fact I can see Big Sam doing better with Cardiff than what Pep will do with them. Does that mean Big Sam is better than Pep for a big job ?

King Eric 7

The amount of money we'd save on wages and compensation if we kept Ole rather than hired Poch must be quite significant, probably equal to buying a very decent player. It's not just about the financials of course - just a very nice by product of hiring the guy in charge now because he looks like a very good fit rather than one we'd have to spend a considerable sum on.

It's all looking great under Ole right now although I'd still reserve judgement for another few weeks at least. I just wouldn't want to upset the apple cart if the players are buying into his style of play and are happy at the club. Martial has just signed a new contract so that seems to me a pretty good sign. Lingard just said that the manager has brought the Man Utd spirit back into the team, so it does look like a happy camp at least. Not long ago we had a "serial winner" in charge of the club so I'd rather take a punt on the guy who failed at Cardiff but who happens to love the club and understands the type of football we need to be playing and the fact that we should be in the hunt for multiple trophies.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Remember Jose did a very good job of making good players play badly. His simple absence might account for most of the improvements. It would be premature to give Ole the job.

Last edited:

JMack1234

I think it'll be decided in the next 25 days. We face

Fulham (A)
PSG (H)
Chelsea (A)
Liverpool (H)
Palace (A)

If we get through those 5 games in good shape then the momentum behind Ole will become unstoppable.

Peter Brewer

You feckin morons still believing Poch is the Messiah which will do better.

What are your daytime jobs, would like to know where all the bad judgement reside.

Stepney73

As long as the board bag the managers targets ole will be fine but if we have another season with the likes of Jones and young in our back line we won't be competing for the big 2 pots.

Clear out the well discussed deadwood and get at least 4 good signings done in the summer.

Over to you ed.

ReddBalls

As long as the board bag the managers targets ole will be fine but if we have another season with the likes of Jones and young in our back line we won't be competing for the big 2 pots.

Clear out the well discussed deadwood and get at least 4 good signings done in the summer.

Over to you ed.
You're probably right, although United has the best defensive record in the league since Ole took the wheel.

Mr Smith

You feckin morons still believing Poch is the Messiah which will do better.

What are your daytime jobs, would like to know where all the bad judgement reside.
You won't get near the mains for a while with that kind of attitude and lack of respect for the opinions of others.

Most of us are thrilled with how Ole is doing but want a larger sample size before we 100% back him for the permanent role. We've had purple patches of form under both Van Gaal and Mourinho, and have seen both Arsenal and Chelsea start really well under their new managers before things turned sour. It's not a crime, or bad judgement, to want to wait a little longer and keep our options open, and I hope the club are keeping a cool head and exploring other options in case things with Ole tale a poor turn. None of us want that, and I don't even think it's likely based on what we've seen, but there's still 3 months left in the season and it's far to early to be putting all our eggs in one basket. If Ole is still performing well by early April, I would be delighted if he was given a contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.