[Poll] Next permanent United manager

Who do you think should be the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace of Spades

Ole has this in the bag, but leave the thread open till it is official.

I think the bigger decision now is a DoF, need to get that sorted soon.

Ciddy

Simply a no-brainer for me. Ole has to get it. I don't know what more he could have done by this point. He'll be multi million pounds cheaper than trying to prise Poch away from Spurs who can be the only other real candidate if the press is to be believed (so probably not). He has a great team around him and if Ole goes, I bet that team goes too. Would be a massive mistake and one that we cannot afford to make again.

No need to announce it publicly until the end of the season, even if he is told in private so that he can actually begin planning for next season.

IF, and it's still a big if, we go down the DoF route, then this is what Ed should now be spending his time on.

Reactions: langster

cookcpu

What if Spur want OGS as their manager in exchange of Pochettino ?

Do you accept this exchange?

ReddBalls

I am assuming/hoping there are quite a few people like me, who are not switching from Poch to Ole fearing jinx :nervous:. I am personally craving to switch since Spurs game but avoiding it saying to self, "let's wait one more game." Also, might also be case of some people not arsed to come in and switch vote, even if they are on Ole bandwagon now.
Let's hope it's not just you :lol:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Just changed my vote to Ole

I was in the Poch camp but tbh even if we have a meltdown between now and May I still wouldn't want Poch now (not necessarily saying Ole would still be the answer in that scenario either though)

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm beginning to detect Pochettino having a few wobbles with his demeanour and comments over the last few weeks.

Wayne's World

I'd be very very surprised If he doesn't get the job at this point but still let's wait off until the end of the season, we still need to get top 4 before deciding things properly

vk20legend

Has to be OGS.. He's done more than many expected and he has the right attitude.

Like the King said, he's the spiritual son of Sir Alex.

I hope we announce it by end of season. If he gets top 4, the job is his..

Paul InceUlt

I'd be very very surprised If he doesn't get the job at this point but still let's wait off until the end of the season, we still need to get top 4 before deciding things properly
I think the top 4 demand is a bit unfair. He can win the «19dec.18/19 season title» and still finish below top 4.
If we finish top 4 let’s celebrate. If not, let’s look forward to a whole lot more promising next season with Ole at the weel!

Steven-UK

This is my very first post on this forum, although I have read these boards for very many years - often disagreeing with many comments, and agreeing with some.

I have been a season ticket holder for well over 10 years; starting with the SAF era, watching how Moyes, Van Gal, Mourinho, and Now OGS have managed the team, and the atmosphere for the Liverpool game at the weekend was the loudest it has been for 6 years easily.

There have been a few stages over the last few seasons, especially Van Gal era where you could just sense that (and empty seats proved this, no matter what the tannoy 'pretended' the attendence to be) the interest in supporting the team was diminishing.

Now, the buzz is back, you can sense it around the ground, and at half time when chatting to the other lads over a drink.

One man has created this change OGS. (and the team around him, to be fair) The ingredients, right now, at this point, are priceless.

It would be a huge mistake to change the ingredients now, and a huge mistake not to give him the job now, huge - and a risk. I doubt any another manager/person on the planet would have mirrored the results of the last 13/14 games.

It is not just about managerial 'nous', but personality plays a huge role in getting the best from your team. Over the last few years myself, and a fair few of my friends/fellow supporters have discussed that the problems run far deeper than just the manager. Almost to the point that the down-slide in performance has absolutely proven how good SAF really was, and I still think that is true. It is how you manage the CLUB, not just the team. It needs to start from the ground up.

But seriously, the last 5/6 years has felt like some kind of 'virus' had taken over the club, similar to what happened to Liverpool after their 80's success, and it has been difficult to go to the matches week in, week out knowing that we are 'just not at the races', for whatever reason. Let's face it, being a season ticket holder (we have two full price tickets) is a very expensive hobby, and you do start to feel invested in the club. I am a businessman myself, so you 'subconsciously' start to envisage how you would run the club, the decisions, etc. and some recent decisions (I am talking the last 4/5/6 years) and been substandard to say the least.

Now we have the chance the give a genuine United legend the chance of running this club. The fans love him, I would suspect all the staff and players love him, and results are flying high since he became caretaker - and this is without him having any input on who to bring in, and ship out (Jones should have been one to ship out, that is the only negative I can see since OGS's caretaker appointment).

The tactical side will come with experience, of course it will. But, as I mentioned above, there is FAR more to it than that. Man management also plays a huge role. You actually have to be liked (and respected on a different level to just 'being a decent manager somewhere else') to be an influential team leader, and OGS is also proving that on a scale none of us thought would surface when he was appointed the caretaker manager.

OGS has to get the job now.

Anyway, if I don't post again, as there are too many hoops to jump through to be able to become a regular poster on here, and time is limited for me, then keep up the good work on the forum.

One thing I would say, is that a large percentage of posts placed on a forum such as this, are evidently from the viewpoint of not being at the game, albeit it is still interesting to read from the 'TV' angle of things.

Take Care.

Reactions: KM

johanovic

OGS did get to learn from Sir Alex and as AF stated OGS was a very intelligent reader of football games as a player and therefore he was able to come on as sub and change games. Since then Ole has been a manager for United Reserves, Molde, Cardiff and Molde again spanning over 10 year period. OGS did learn from the best manager in AF and that´s not a bad footballing education to get.

The effect he has had on the players and the whole club is just incredible and I would make the arguement that OGS already done enough to warrant the job full time. Compair him with Mourinho and how badly is OGS making Mourinho look as a manager. With every win and a total turnaround in both playing style, player performances, results and the effect of approaching things with positivity Mourinho is looking like an outdated football dinosaur.

Hearing fans sing songs about him at every game and seeing how players, staff and fans are enjoying themselves is a joy to behold. It takes a special kind of man to be able to do this and he´s also smart in surrounding himself with good staff in Phelan,Carrick and McKenna and working with them as a team as Sir Alex did back in his day by delegating responsibility to staff. How Mourinho looks worse and worse with each game and the way Mourinho went about his job in general compaired to OGS is a very interesting subject.

I guess the way of intimidating,scolding and just a negative approach in general like Mourinho did will not work in the longterm as proved by Mourhino sacked in his last 3 jobs. Treating players with positivity, clear standards and methods mixed with a little humility is certainly working a whole lot better. Having a manger that wants to be there and shows that matters also plus he has a much better understanding of players having been one himself. Sign Ole up now as the next United manager.

cookcpu

This is a strange way to use your first post ever on here.
This is my second time to register in this forum. My first account using the same nick being deleted many years ago.

I do post in the new comer forum but seldom. I just read what is posted here and most of the time didn't log in.

kundalini

This is my very first post on this forum, although I have read these boards for very many years - often disagreeing with many comments, and agreeing with some.

I have been a season ticket holder for well over 10 years; starting with the SAF era, watching how Moyes, Van Gal, Mourinho, and Now OGS have managed the team, and the atmosphere for the Liverpool game at the weekend was the loudest it has been for 6 years easily.

There have been a few stages over the last few seasons, especially Van Gal era where you could just sense that (and empty seats proved this, no matter what the tannoy 'pretended' the attendence to be) the interest in supporting the team was diminishing.

Now, the buzz is back, you can sense it around the ground, and at half time when chatting to the other lads over a drink.

One man has created this change OGS. (and the team around him, to be fair) The ingredients, right now, at this point, are priceless.

It would be a huge mistake to change the ingredients now, and a huge mistake not to give him the job now, huge - and a risk. I doubt any another manager/person on the planet would have mirrored the results of the last 13/14 games.

It is not just about managerial 'nous', but personality plays a huge role in getting the best from your team. Over the last few years myself, and a fair few of my friends/fellow supporters have discussed that the problems run far deeper than just the manager. Almost to the point that the down-slide in performance has absolutely proven how good SAF really was, and I still think that is true. It is how you manage the CLUB, not just the team. It needs to start from the ground up.

But seriously, the last 5/6 years has felt like some kind of 'virus' had taken over the club, similar to what happened to Liverpool after their 80's success, and it has been difficult to go to the matches week in, week out knowing that we are 'just not at the races', for whatever reason. Let's face it, being a season ticket holder (we have two full price tickets) is a very expensive hobby, and you do start to feel invested in the club. I am a businessman myself, so you 'subconsciously' start to envisage how you would run the club, the decisions, etc. and some recent decisions (I am talking the last 4/5/6 years) and been substandard to say the least.

Now we have the chance the give a genuine United legend the chance of running this club. The fans love him, I would suspect all the staff and players love him, and results are flying high since he became caretaker - and this is without him having any input on who to bring in, and ship out (Jones should have been one to ship out, that is the only negative I can see since OGS's caretaker appointment).

The tactical side will come with experience, of course it will. But, as I mentioned above, there is FAR more to it than that. Man management also plays a huge role. You actually have to be liked (and respected on a different level to just 'being a decent manager somewhere else') to be an influential team leader, and OGS is also proving that on a scale none of us thought would surface when he was appointed the caretaker manager.

OGS has to get the job now.

Anyway, if I don't post again, as there are too many hoops to jump through to be able to become a regular poster on here, and time is limited for me, then keep up the good work on the forum.

One thing I would say, is that a large percentage of posts placed on a forum such as this, are evidently from the viewpoint of not being at the game, albeit it is still interesting to read from the 'TV' angle of things.

Take Care.
Good post. Thanks.

Moyes, LVG and Mourinho didn't understand United. It seems surprising and yet watching the first few years of the Ferguson era, he didn't seem to get it either, then he figured it out, or got lucky, and crucially, kept the momentum going over a long period of time. His title winning sides were similar to Atkinson's teams but with far more competence, willing to dig deep to get results away at some of the less glamorous teams in the division.

Moyes didn't know where Kagawa played, didn't rate Hernandez or Nani. If he had been given a serious interview before being handed the job, the club might have seen the warning signs in advance. Getting rid of Phelan and Rene, another terrible decision.

LVG thought the answer was his style of football and a new set of players. Mourinho likewise. So much emphasis on the need to strengthen the team, the one signing the club failed to make during the summer.

I posted on here around the time that Solskjaer was being linked to the temporary job that I wanted him to be interviewed for the permanent job along with perhaps 5 other candidates, simply so the club would hear what they had to say, the type of football they wanted to play, their opinions on the current squad.

I still want to wait until the season is finished so it is possible to compare a complete 2nd half of the season to the points acquired by Mourinho during his time in charge, to other top 4 contenders, title contenders. A larger sample size, the chance to see a wider range of circumstances, what happens when there are injuries, suspensions, how does the team respond to different match situations.

The home match against PSG surprised and disappointed me. In a few of the other games we have scored then held on, didn't do a great job of retaining possession. Apart from that, we have looked impressive.

Over time I suspect some of the players who feature less often, may not be so wildly enthusiastic about Solskjaer. There are always going to be winners and losers when there is a managerial change. At the moment even the players who have featured less often than they might have hoped, have put in a lot of effort on the pitch.

Last edited:

Melville Red

The only way Ole isn’t going to get the job is if his Mrs says so and she wishes to stay in Norway.

Come on Woody get him signed up, befor that leach down at Spurs sacks Poch and poaches Ole.

Tony247

200 votes difference between poch and Ole. who would have thought 2 months back?

SirMattlives

The challenge of selecting the right manager is a very interesting one, with massive consequences, as we've seen. I suspect that when Jose was picked, even those of us who did not warm to the idea of him as our manager probably felt we would be a winning side again, he just seemed to know how to do that, regardless of style. I can't blame the board for that decision either given the previous messes but how wrong we all were. When Ole was introduced as a temporary, I suspect many felt as I did, 'he's a legend but...' and just held out hope for a less embarrassing second half of the season while plans were put in place for the next 'real' manager (notably some of the folks mentioned in this poll).

What has been learned confirms the old research from industrial psych that the best predictor of someone's ability to do a job is their performance on the job. All the ability tests and personality analyses in the world can't beat that for accuracy. So, all to say, in that light it has to be Ole. He's tried the job and he's shown as much an ability to do the job as we can expect -- Pocc has shown he can do things at Spurs, Zidane at Madrid etc but only one person has shown he can do it at United -- and he's there now.

The one caveat here (or set of caveats) is that 'the job' is more than managing the first team, it's running the club. Pocc has done a good job at building a side and turning Spurs into a strong club, one could reasonably imagine that with our resources, he could do even better with us. That's a side of the role that can only be judged over several years and it's not possible to judge Ole on that front (but we can make an informed guess about his ability to deliver there too, which I think is high). I am not sure Ole would be so successful at another club, there's something just right about the fit with United based on his time here, but he would get offers for sure. So....long way of saying it, but the evidence, as much as we can marshall it, strongly supports giving Ole the chance to build something here. If perchance the board do otherwise (and with every passing week it would have to be for reasons unrelated to team performances) then I'd consider Pocc a decent option (but he'd have to lose that miserable expression, he could turn milk when he's on camera sometimes). So Ole, then Pocc, and after that, god only knows.....Phelan?

GiddyUp

I'm beginning to detect Pochettino having a few wobbles with his demeanour and comments over the last few weeks.
He was ready to get his balls ticked by Ed with a wad of bank notes. Then Ole happened. I think we have found our manager and the risk of having to start again with a manager that has had only a fraction of the pressure a United boss experienced may be another mistake. Poch is a great manager but will he great for this club? Ole looks to be a great manager and looks to be a perfect fit. I'm also excited to see who we target in the summer under Ole.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Poll should start against with just Ole and Poch
Yeah, that would be good. Maybe throw Zidane in there just in case. But I really can't see it being anyone else at this point, and I don't want anyone else, either.

Chicharo

Has to be Ole. The whole aura surrounding the club hasn't been this positive since SAF's days. Why changing it if we continue playing like this?
Plus there is the Phelan factor

RedRotorhead

OGS should be on the list.

Okay he's not one of the favourites but if..

1. He gets the team playing as a team
2. The team start playing united style attacking football
3. The team manage to make the top four from where we are now

It's a big if but if he can achieve the above he would deserve a shot at the permie job.

Yes i know, i i know... But i think he at least should be on the list of this poll!!!

I know, right before Christmas is such a long time ago! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.