Poll: Would you take a results-based manager or an attacking manager?

Who would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bulldog United

You need a combination of the two to be really successful.

There are times to play more defensive, pragmatic football, when facing opposition that is as good and dangerous as you in attack. A 1-0 win or even a draw can be OK.

When you play weaker opposition, you want to be able to get at them and put them under maximum defensive pressure for as long as possible. Under Fergie we did this so well. I can remember times being 0-0 after 50 odd minutes, but we were so relentless in attack we’d still go on to win by a few goals or more.

More often than not, Man Utd should be the stronger side in a fixture, and so attacking progressive football should be the standard.

Reynoldo

Its a two part question I think. Long term you would want an attacking manager as you know at the end of the day football is supposed to be entertaining but right now for where we are at I would take a few years of absolutely dire, eye scratchingly boring defensive tactics if it guaranteed us a league title in that period.

Nikelesh Reddy

3-4 years ago,my answer would have been pragmatic manager who guarantees success.But I honestly just want to enjoy watching us play again....Attacking,positive,entertaining football is a must for me....

Water Melon

Look at the teams who have been doing well both domestically and in Europe. They are all offensive teams. Attacking is key to being successful these days.

cyril C

I think this is a poor thread. Of course people like to win and attacking. A better version should be, would you like us becoming Ajax, an attacking side but don't know how to park a bus when it count, or Alt Madrid, who may win by a goal but this is what they need. Both clubs are successful by their own right, but neither are perfect.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'd like a 3rd option in the poll. A manager who is attack minded but also knows when and how to park the bus if needed. Keep in mind, this bus doesn't need to get parked at home against Sevilla...

Member 119614

I became a football fan after watching an episode of MotD, United was banging the goals in, I fell in love both with the game and with United. In the end of 1998 they didn't win the title but I stuck around. For me beauty will always be the nr 1 priority.

Untd55

Solskjaer is neither, so I will take any above him.

Attacking is my preference, though. Results will likely come with that, anyway.

SteveTheRed

I really don't think that dour football tactics exist - if they are consistently winning football games!

I want results, if he means we were a very difficult team to break down and won games 1-0 then so be it. Right now we are neither entertaining or getting results.

We have had a few entertaining games, but it's all meaningless if we loss 3-2.