Poppies and remembrance at football matches

Baxter

It’s a bit weird. Almost as if certain clubs and people try their hardest to be seen to be showing ‘more’ respect than others. It ends up just being cheap.

Also, for me, the Tommy Robinson types have ended up tainting the image of the poppy and along with the Daily Mail campaigns, I think the message is somewhat lost.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
They would? I wouldn't care less. If they were throwing about Swastikas I might have an issue.

Manipulate the masses in what way? 'Oh hey we have this sneaky plan to make people honour millions of people who died, mwahahaha'.

You're making the U.K seem like an evil totalitarian regime forcing people to sieg heil on their way through the stadium gates. There's a silence and a tune played which is about remembering the fallen. Your comparisons to dictatorships are utterly nonsensical and you're making far too big a deal out of what is just a lot of people deciding that they want to show healthy respect for people who died.

Like others have said in the thread, the only time it goes too far is when people are forced to do it. Nobody should be made to feel guilty if they don't want to take part. It is 100% a personal choice, something which soldiers in the Second World War died to preserve.
Look at the abuse from the stands & media that James McClean has had to put up with for exercising his personal choice. He has also received death threats for not engaging in this poppy fascism.

Ultimately people go to football matches to watch football, and not to engage in a military parade.

UK has taken a serious turn for the worse. Racism is on the rise. Nazi style slogans like "enemies of the people" are headline news. MPs have also had death threats over brexit. . . .

It is right and proper that those who gave their lives are remembered and honoured.

There's a time and a place for this, and a football match is not appropriate.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Politics and sport are intertwined. They have been since the inception of amateur sport. Lots of people miss this point when they say that sport shouldn’t be politicised. Well, it is. Always has been and always will be.

In the case of McClean and that tedious debate, Stoke City have handled it sensibly. McClean has every right not to wear the poppy. Those who choose to wear it have that very same right.

It’s not difficult.
Nailed it.

Wear it if you like, don't if you don't. Problem solved. Different things mean different things to different people.
At the end of the day, it means feck all to 99.99% of people worldwide so let everyone do what they want.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Look at the abuse from the stands & media that James McClean has had to put up with for exercising his personal choice. He has also received death threats for not engaging in this poppy fascism.

Ultimately people go to football matches to watch football, and not to engage in a military parade.

UK has taken a serious turn for the worse. Racism is on the rise. Nazi style slogans like "enemies of the people" are headline news. MPs have also had death threats over brexit. . . .

It is right and proper that those who gave their lives are remembered and honoured.

The media caused that shit storm, not the poppy or even McClean's decision not to wear it.
McClean shouldn't have been vilified for it, but hey that's what the media do and idiots jump on the bandwagon (see Raheem Sterling getting a tattoo, Raheem Sterling buying a house, Raheem Sterling buying an ice cream or Raheem Sterling being alive...)

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Nobody is condoning the abuse he received. You will always get morons who completely misinterpret a message and turn it in to something thuggish. I absolutely defend McClean's right to wear and honour whatever/whoever he wants.

If you think a bugle and a minute's silence is a 'military parade', then hey ho'.

The ugly side of UK politics has nothing to do with people honouring war dead. You keep saying bad things that have happened, and somehow think that stopping a long held tradition of simply honouring people who died before a game is going to solve this. All you would create is tons of backlash because millions feel very strongly that it's a good thing. You really think taking away people's harmless traditions is the way forward and the best way to try and unify the country?

Why is a football match not appropriate? You're talking about a few minutes before kickoff. The sport has long had these sort of associations, and like I already said the past saw many young footballers serve & die. Public events like these are often chosen as a good place to honour the dead, it's hardly unusual.

AngliaRed

I’m a current serving soldier and always wear a poppy, but don’t like that players HAVE to have them on there jerseys and/or pundits wearing them in the studio. I’d much rather 5 people wear it who want to pay respects than 1000 who are forced.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Racism is on the 'rise' all over Europe, incl. Germany. Don't bring everything and the kitchen sink into a discussion about the free decision whether or not to wear a poppy at a football game.

I think it should be up to you whether you wear it. It says a lot about you if you actively go against it though.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Should be up to each player in my opinion.

As much as people say it’s to show respect for the people that died in the world war, the proceeds are raised to help soldiers of the army and I’d understand why someone who comes from a country who suffered at the hands of our army wouldn’t want to support that.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
As much as people say it’s to show respect for the people that died in the world war, the proceeds are raised to help soldiers of the army and I’d understand why someone who comes from a country who suffered at the hands of our army wouldn’t want to support that.
That's a whole can of worms @Snowjoe we shouldn't be opening imo. Most of Europe did everything but get down on their knees to avoid the whole thing.

It would be nice if we could bring an end to the Remembrance circus but it doesn't look as if people forget for the right reasons yet. Maybe when the opposite of war and conflict breaks out.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Some are worthy the cause, some are ... well... you can find an excuse to remember anything. The hard part is drawing the line.

Some may think x day is worth the occasion, some might think y day is worth, some may think x or y isnt anything special.

Hard to draw the line.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I've always taken them to mean remember all who have fallen in the wars, not just the British soldiers and hence I find no offence from them.

rumac

I still find it amazing that people are shocked or disgusted that a young man from Derry, where 13 innocent civilians were shot by the British Army, would object to wearing a symbol inextricably linked to the British army.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
That's a whole can of worms @Snowjoe we shouldn't be opening imo. Most of Europe did everything but get down on their knees to avoid the whole thing.

It would be nice if we could bring an end to the Remembrance circus but it doesn't look as if people forget for the right reasons yet. Maybe when the opposite of war and conflict breaks out.
I’ve got no issue with remembrance of the world wars and it’s definitely important to teach and learn from. I just don’t think people should be given grief for not participating in the poppy appeal which is just a fundraiser for British army vets. I’d rather fundraising was disconnected from it all together.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I’ve got no issue with remembrance of the world wars and it’s definitely important to teach and learn from. I just don’t think people should be given grief for not participating in the poppy appeal which is just a fundraiser for British army vets. I’d rather fundraising was disconnected from it all together.
I agree with you mostly, it's just your last sentence that I wonder whether vets would get any funding from elsewhere, I've a pretty good idea the Government won't fill any . gaps in funding physio, counselling and whatever else is needed.

Personally I get a bit fed up with the Remembrance Day parade and laying of wreaths at the Cenotaph in Whitehall each year because to my mind it is as much to do with glorifying the military as with those who fought and their families remembering by marching. If the Royal Family and the Commonwealth ministers and our Politicians want to remember the veterans and families then fund their needs.

I never wear a poppy, I donate when I see the Red Cross standing in high streets and outside supermarkets but turn down a poppy. I'd hope one day it comes to an end for the right reasons.

Edit. PS. I've no idea what the deal is with the poppy on football kits but if players can choose whether to wear and the clubs are donating then fair does.

Last edited:

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Want to wear a poppy? Wear it.

Don't want to wear a poppy? Don't wear it.

It shouldn't be that complicated. And no one should be forced or bullied into doing it. I once witnessed two teachers, both related to veterans, get into a heated argument because one was wearing a red poppy and one was wearing a white one. Probably one of the most ridiculous debates I've ever seen.

Minimalist

Don't care about who wears it or doesn't wear it.

But James McClean is a total nob regardless.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I'm with Harry....

https://prruk.org/why-i-will-never-again-wear-a-red-poppy-by-95-year-old-veteran-harry-leslie-smith/

Poppies, and the debate around them, are getting seriously fecking tedious. I wore one for many years when it was a relatively quiet, understated, solemn and non political way to simply remember the war dead. But every year there is this increasing poppy facism and this year you can't move for them in the villages and towns where we live - massive ones tied to every railing and lamp post. In fact some of these villages have had them up all bloody year - there's no escape. How much is all this costing local authorities ffs?

Last edited:

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
It’s a bit weird. Almost as if certain clubs and people try their hardest to be seen to be showing ‘more’ respect than others. It ends up just being cheap.

Also, for me, the Tommy Robinson types have ended up tainting the image of the poppy and along with the Daily Mail campaigns, I think the message is somewhat lost.
Agreed. The bran dead followers of Yaxley-Lennon (let's have him by his real name) are welcome to it.

Xcited

I'm with Harry....

https://prruk.org/why-i-will-never-again-wear-a-red-poppy-by-95-year-old-veteran-harry-leslie-smith/

Poppies, and the debate around them, are getting seriously fecking tedious. I wore one for many years when it was a relatively quiet, understated, solemn and non political way to simply remember the war dead. But every year there is this increasing poppy facism and this year you can't move for them in the villages and towns where we live - massive ones tied to every railing and lamp post. In fact some of these villages have had them up all bloody year - there's no escape. How much is all this costing local authorities ffs?
I work in a local authority myself.

We came up with a cost effective solution.

We've asked fans and staff to knit poppies this year to be posted around our jurisdiction as decorations and also sold with the proceeds being dealt with as per usual.

Been surprisingly effective. Must be at least 500-600 in there.

No where near the volume required, but a good gesture, gives it a personal touch and certainly cost effective.

Ether

Agreed. The bran dead followers of Yaxley-Lennon (let's have him by his real name) are welcome to it.
Ironically these people will make Nazi salutes at rallies while admonishing anyone who doesn't wear a poppy.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Why is it football that seems to engage, rightly or wrongly, in acts of military remembrance? Why not other sports?
Football's different for three reasons. First, it's the national sport and commands much larger and regular crowds than other sports. It is effectively the largest regular social gathering for any purpose. Second, support is intertwined with a shared identity, collectivism and social unity to a far greater degree than any other sport. And third the top end of the professional game - the Premier League, its clubs, the Scottish Premiership, the FAs - are hugely media-aware organisations who believe they need to be seen to commemorate to cultivate support from the general public and avoid, at all costs, the wrath of the tabloids. It's the same as it being impossible to get in any TV studio over the next two weeks without one on your chest.

Nick7

Don't really care about its use in football. I also think the debates and vitriol towards McClean is silly.

If people want to wear them, let them. If they don't, don't make them.

I wouldn't wear one for obvious reasons.

Moriarty

Don't really care about its use in football. I also think the debates and vitriol towards McClean is silly.

If people want to wear them, let them. If they don't, don't make them.

I wouldn't wear one for obvious reasons.
I had one grandfather in the Manchesters and another in the Connaught Rangers in WWI. I wear a poppy to remember them. It's a damned shame it has been politicized, given the number of Irishmen who served. I'm Anglo-Irish and I don't like the way such a terrible sacrifice of young lives in the horror that was the Great War has been used by some to perpetuate divisions (and I'm not suggesting that you are doing that, by the way).

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I know for a fact that my grandfather fought in WW2 just because he wanted everyone (without exception) to wear poppys.

It had nothing to do with freedom or opposing tyranny.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I know for a fact that my grandfather fought in WW2 just because he wanted everyone (without exception) to wear poppys.

It had nothing to do with freedom or opposing tyranny.
I don't think many sensible people are suggesting anybody should be forced to wear poppies. You're right, that completely goes against what those who served in WW2 fought against, everybody has the right to decide who they want to honour and what they want to wear. You might get a few EDL thugs who take an utterly twisted message from the poppy, completely unaware that their attitude and actions spit in the face of veterans, but most people are happy to let people pay their respects in their own way.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
People would be offended (and possibly outraged) if the Bundesliga played bugles or had some commemorative stamp on jerseys to recognise their war dead and others.

It doesn't belong in football and "they were only following orders" is a straw man argument.

The politicians and those in power are hijacking football to manipulate the masses. Even the Americans don't do this to the same extent.
It's insane to think that this is true.

Germans = Baddies
UK = Goodies

Dead people only matter if they won, basically.

It's nuts.

The level of knowledge and understanding of the World Wars is far greater in Germany too, in my experience (German in-laws. Very limited sample size)

However........ Americans are world number one in romanticising the military. It's not even up for debate.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Football's different for three reasons. First, it's the national sport and commands much larger and regular crowds than other sports. It is effectively the largest regular social gathering for any purpose. Second, support is intertwined with a shared identity, collectivism and social unity to a far greater degree than any other sport. And third the top end of the professional game - the Premier League, its clubs, the Scottish Premiership, the FAs - are hugely media-aware organisations who believe they need to be seen to commemorate to cultivate support from the general public and avoid, at all costs, the wrath of the tabloids. It's the same as it being impossible to get in any TV studio over the next two weeks without one on your chest.
This might not be so obvious to followers of a mega-club like United, especially in the TV and internet age, but I'm sure it's how supporters of most clubs feel. Good post.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Anyone that wants to wear a poppy should wear one, and equally those that decide they don't want to shouldn't be subject to abuse because of their choice, sadly we live in a society where something as simple as that isn't even possible
I think it should be up to you whether you wear it. It says a lot about you if you actively go against it though.
Want to wear a poppy? Wear it.

Don't want to wear a poppy? Don't wear it.

It shouldn't be that complicated. And no one should be forced or bullied into doing it. I once witnessed two teachers, both related to veterans, get into a heated argument because one was wearing a red poppy and one was wearing a white one. Probably one of the most ridiculous debates I've ever seen.
People have to justify or give a thousand reasons why they are not wearing a poppy. They're made to feel 'ungrateful' or unpatriotic. It's bad and pathetic. It really pisses me off when at this time of year, every man and his dog on TV is wearing one. Fine if they choose to, but I'm guessing they don't really have a choice.

And just to clarify, I'm not bothered about the wearing of poppies on TV but the thought that it may be an enforced request by TV execs etc.

I really wish they would keep ALL acts of remembrance and black arm bands out of football completely, unless it's like something like the Leicester helicopter crash.

Classical Mechanic

It's insane to think that this is true.

Germans = Baddies
UK = Goodies

Dead people only matter if they won, basically.

It's nuts.
It isn't true either. English and German military personnel have commemorated the war dead at a football match together in the past. English and German troops have played commemorative football matches for the war dead too.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Its purely for the rememberence of those that died from various conflicts. It isn't pro military, it isn't glorification or justification of those wars, or as celebration of those that deemed them neccesary or profitable. Its purely to remember the men and women that lost their lives. It's a distinction that seems lost.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
My understanding is that FIFA were going to ban symbols like poppies on shirts. . . This needs to be revisited.

Bans should also be issued on any militaristic style music.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Its purely for the rememberence of those that died from various conflicts. It isn't pro military, it isn't glorification or justification of those wars, or as celebration of those that deemed them neccesary or profitable. Its purely to remember the men and women that lost their lives. It's a distinction that seems lost.
Unless I'm mistaken though the funds raised go to to the Royal British Legion don't they? Who then financially support veterans? Including potentially those who served in NI? Including potentially those who committed crimes in NI without being punished?

Unless the funds raised by the poppy absolutely do not in any way support anyone who served in NI then McClean has at least one perfectly sound reason for objecting to wearing the poppy.

That's without going into the actual symbolism of the poppy, which like all symbols is open to interpretation and in real terms is interpreted differently in areas outside of the UK.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
My understanding is that FIFA were going to ban symbols like poppies on shirts. . . This needs to be revisited.

Bans should also be issued on any militaristic style music.
England's national side were already fined for wearing the poppy weren't they?

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Some are worthy the cause, some are ... well... you can find an excuse to remember anything. The hard part is drawing the line.

Some may think x day is worth the occasion, some might think y day is worth, some may think x or y isnt anything special.

Hard to draw the line.
Surely it's easy pretty to draw the line on this issue though?

We should remember the lives of those who gave theirs for our future. It annoys me that the poppy is seen as any more of a political issue than that. Remembrance will fade with generations unless we make an effort to preserve it.