Poppies and remembrance at football matches

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
England's national side were already fined for wearing the poppy weren't they?
I remember the furore but am unsure of whether a fine was issued.

However when FIFA were considering banning the poppy on shirts they received a call from Tommy Robinson and his band of racist thugs. The poppy has been hijacked by the far right in England to mean something quite different.

No other country is placing poppies or playing bugles before matches, and many others had greater casualties in numbers than those who represented UK forces.

Nick7

I had one grandfather in the Manchesters and another in the Connaught Rangers in WWI. I wear a poppy to remember them. It's a damned shame it has been politicized, given the number of Irishmen who served. I'm Anglo-Irish and I don't like the way such a terrible sacrifice of young lives in the horror that was the Great War has been used by some to perpetuate divisions.
I'm glad it means something to you. I don't see any reasoning behind forcing people to wear it. One can remember those who lost their lives in WWI without wearing a poppy or any other political item. The act of not wearing a poppy isn't to desecrate those who lost their lives in the tragedy of war.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Unless I'm mistaken though the funds raised go to to the Royal British Legion don't they? Who then financially support veterans? Including potentially those who served in NI? Including potentially those who committed crimes in NI without being punished?

Unless the funds raised by the poppy absolutely do not in any way support anyone who served in NI then McClean has at least one perfectly sound reason for objecting to wearing the poppy.

That's without going into the actual symbolism of the poppy, which like all symbols is open to interpretation and in real terms is interpreted differently in areas outside of the UK.
Correct, and if we applied that same logic to any charity then we wouldnt donate money to anyone. They aren't willingly financially supporting war criminals.

But he's perfectly fine making his fortune in England? Paying taxes to the government that instructed those soldiers and in some instances covered up those war attrocities? And who continue to use those taxes on defence, some 2.1% of GRP. It seems he only holds onto his principles until he can make a bit of money from it.

-

I've already said that @stevoc, I said that in the post you responded to. What doesn't sit well with me is when he makes statement of it, much like he did when he turned his back on the flag. There's a difference between opting out and being disrespectful, particularly when you factor in the aforementioned hypocrisy.

Last edited:

stevoc

Its purely for the rememberence of those that died from various conflicts. It isn't pro military, it isn't glorification or justification of those wars, or as celebration of those that deemed them neccesary or profitable. Its purely to remember the men and women that lost their lives. It's a distinction that seems lost.
@sullydnl summed up perfectly how i was going to respond.

McClean has perfectly legitimate reasons be it financial or otherwise for not wearing a poppy. The fact we know his reasons is a problem in itself. He should have never had to explain his reasons or be abused for choosing to not wear one.

Wearing a poppy on your shirt should be something you have to opt in to not opt out of. One better to avoid this nonsense every year would be going back to the way it was for 80-90 odd years after WW1 when there were no poppies on football shirts.

Someone made an excellent point earlier there will no doubt be lots of other players who would probably prefer not to wear one also, but do so to avoid the type of abuse McClean is subjected to every year.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I think the poppy ought to be phased out in favour of another symbol that remembers the lives list of people in national conflicts. I also think we should also take the opportunity to create a more open debate about the role of individuals caught up in war (any war).

It seems that too many people glorify the poppy as a symbol of national pride rather than its actual purpose of remembering tragic incidents far between the contemplation of those who were caught up in them. I also feel that the significance of the poppy has become lost on younger generations who see it as a symbol of either that national pride or a relic belonging to a much older generation which they obviously they don't belong to.

As for its place in football, nobody should feel forced to wear it. A minute's silence should be enough. Bugles should be banned from everywhere forever.

Last edited:

ivaldo

@sullydnl summed up perfectly how i was going to respond.

McClean has perfectly legitimate reasons be it financial or otherwise for not wearing a poppy. The fact we know his reasons is a problem in itself. He should have never had to explain his reasons or be abused for choosing to not wear one.

Wearing a poppy on your shirt should be something you have to opt in to not opt out of. One better to avoid this nonsense every year would be going back to the way it was for 80-90 odd years after WW1 when there were no poppies on football shirts.

Someone made an excellent point earlier there will no doubt be lots of other players who would probably prefer not to wear one also, but do so to avoid the type of abuse McClean is subjected to every year.
I've already said that @stevoc, I said that in the post you responded to. I would prefer if you addressed it and didn't continue as though I've stated she shouldn't be able to opt out.

What doesn't sit well with me is when he makes statement of it, much like he did when he turned his back on the flag. There's a difference between opting out and being disrespectful, particularly when you factor in the aforementioned hypocrisy mentioned in the response to Sully's post.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
I've already said that @stevoc, I said that in the post you responded to. I would prefer if you addressed it and didn't continue as though I've stated she shouldn't be able to opt out.

What doesn't sit well with me is when he makes statement of it, much like he did when he turned his back on the flag. There's a difference between opting out and being disrespectful, particularly when you factor in the aforementioned hypocrisy mentioned in the response to Sully's post.
McClean made a statement to explain why he was opting out, which he didn't have to as he owes no one an explanation. He made it clear that in the part of Northern Ireland where he comes from (Derry) the poppy is seen not as a symbol to honour war dead but as a symbol of murder and Catholic persecution.

stevoc

Correct, and if we applied that same logic to any charity then we wouldnt donate money to anyone. They aren't willingly financially supporting war criminals.

But he's perfectly fine making his fortune in England? Paying taxes to the government that instructed those soldiers and in some instances covered up those war attrocities? And who continue to use those taxes on defence, some 2.1% of GRP. It seems he only holds onto his principles until he can make a bit of money from it.
The guy is from the UK, he has every right to live and work in any part of it.

I think you've taken that out of context mate. I never meant imply that you hadn't said that.

To be fair if he had walked out for a match one day a few years ago and every november since without a poppy and no one had batted an eyelid then there would have been no drama surrounding it at all. But instead he's been abused, criticized in the media and basically forced to repeatedly explain his stance. Not wearing one isn't making a statement it's making a choice.

Also turning quietly to the side and lowering your head is hardly being disrespectful is it come on?

lsd

The Oracle
How big a thing is it ? I'm working in Newcastle the next few weeks in a big office and there is no way I'm wearing one .

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
How big a thing is it ? I'm working in Newcastle the next few weeks in a big office and there is no way I'm wearing one .
Likely no one will say anything to you in normal workplaces I wouldn't worry.

Moriarty

I'm glad it means something to you. I don't see any reasoning behind forcing people to wear it. One can remember those who lost their lives in WWI without wearing a poppy or any other political item. The act of not wearing a poppy isn't to desecrate those who lost their lives in the tragedy of war.
Indeed. When I was a kid, November 11th was still known as 'Armistice Day' and at school, if the day fell during the week, we would all stand in silence for two minutes at 11 o'clock. I really don't care for the way people now point fingers at those who don't wear the poppy as if it signifies disrespect or an attempt to dishonour the fallen. I don't want any part of that as it's just an attempt to score cheap political points.

Baxter

-

I've already said that @stevoc, I said that in the post you responded to. What doesn't sit well with me is when he makes statement of it, much like he did when he turned his back on the flag. There's a difference between opting out and being disrespectful, particularly when you factor in the aforementioned hypocrisy.
Why would he not be happy making a living in a country he’s entitled to work in? Coming a bit close to the EDL types of ‘if he doesn’t wear it, he can feck off home’ reasoning.

You might not think he was making a statement of it, if people respected his decision. He owes nobody an explanation but still gave one. It’s pathetic people still go for him.

The replies on that are a disgrace.

lsd

The Oracle
Likely no one will say anything to you in normal workplaces I wouldn't worry.

Good I was a bit wary of a min silence but I can myself scarce if that arises .

I wouldn't wanna be sat playing on my phone if everyone else is standing up or whatever .

It's insane to think that this is true.

Germans = Baddies
UK = Goodies

Dead people only matter if they won, basically.

It's nuts.

The level of knowledge and understanding of the World Wars is far greater in Germany too, in my experience (German in-laws. Very limited sample size)

However........ Americans are world number one in romanticising the military. It's not even up for debate.
That's not really true. Many soldiers in the past have respected their enemies and what the common soldier gave for their countries, even the Germans. It only doesn't happen where an enemy behaved inhumanely or unfairly ie the Japanese or Taliban.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

-

Well actually there would still be quite a huge number of charities he could support without anywhere near the same chances of his money helping people who commited war crimes in his locality. I mean a near endless amount.

Regarding the bold, by that logic he also wouldn't be able to work where he's actually from without being a hypocrite? As in I'm assuming taxes in NI go to HMRC too, don't they? The "well why work here then?" argument falls apart when here is actually his country too, though I'm very sure he would prefer that wasn't the case.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Really not a big deal .. barely anybody wore one at my Uni for example, I was probably one of the only students who did.

Older generations tend to wear them a lot more, but I've never seen anybody get criticised for not wearing one. I'm sure it happens, but only by a few arseholes who misinterpret what it's meant to mean.

C'est Moi Cantona

It's just an easy way of showing respect, whilst contributing to a thoroughly worthwhile charity, and I'm very happy to where one myself, but I wouldn't want anyone to be forced to where it, it has to mean something or it's a pointless act.

Classical Mechanic

Personally I’ve never worn one as an adult. I used to donate to the Legion for the elderly WW2 conscripts but now with the increasing politicisation of the poppy and that generation pretty much having died out, I find myself disinclined to support the charity anymore.

I am a big believer in the freedom of the individual so increasing pressure to conform turns me off.

ivaldo

The guy is from the UK, he has every right to live and work in any part of it.

I think you've taken that out of context mate. I never meant imply that you hadn't said that.

To be fair if he had walked out for a match one day a few years ago and every november since without a poppy and no one had batted an eyelid then there would have been no drama surrounding it at all. But instead he's been abused, criticized in the media and basically forced to repeatedly explain his stance. Not wearing one isn't making a statement it's making a choice.

Also turning quietly to the side and lowering your head is hardly being disrespectful is it come on?
Who said he didn’t have the right to do so?

Ok, then apologies on my part.

Again, I haven’t said that isn’t a choice. You’re conflating the two points. Does he have to do that? He knows it’ll get a reaction, but he decides to do it anyway.

ivaldo

Well actually there would still be quite a huge number of charities he could support without anywhere near the same chances of his money helping people who commited war crimes in his locality. I mean a near endless amount.

Regarding the bold, by that logic he also wouldn't be able to work where he's actually from without being a hypocrite? As in I'm assuming taxes in NI go to HMRC too, don't they? The "well why work here then?" argument falls apart when here is actually his country too, though I'm very sure he would prefer that wasn't the case.
How many of those vets have committed war atrocities in NI do you think? There’s still that very small chance those people being helped are rapists, murderers, fraudsters etc. We are talking infinitesimal numbers on both regards.

England isn’t his country, no.

ivaldo

Why would he not be happy making a living in a country he’s entitled to work in? Coming a bit close to the EDL types of ‘if he doesn’t wear it, he can feck off home’ reasoning.

You might not think he was making a statement of it, if people respected his decision. He owes nobody an explanation but still gave one. It’s pathetic people still go for him.

The replies on that are a disgrace.
EDL? Seriously? It’s nowhere near that. Piss off with that shit. It’s not necessary.

I’ve already stated I’m perfectly comfortable with anyone’s decision not to wear the poppy. But you’ve jumped in half way through a conversation and likened my opinion to that of the detestable EDL.

ivaldo

McClean made a statement to explain why he was opting out, which he didn't have to as he owes no one an explanation. He made it clear that in the part of Northern Ireland where he comes from (Derry) the poppy is seen not as a symbol to honour war dead but as a symbol of murder and Catholic persecution.
No he didn't have to do it, but he has anyway. I’ve outlined already why I think that assessment, that interpretation isn’t right. You’re welcome to respond to that post.

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
EDL? Seriously? It’s nowhere near that. Piss off with that shit. It’s not necessary.

I’ve already stated I’m perfectly comfortable with anyone’s decision not to wear the poppy. But you’ve jumped in half way through a conversation and likened my opinion to that of the detestable EDL.
He's also somehow linked the poppy to dictatorships, rising racism and Brexit, so it's no big surprise.

Baxter

You questioned why a UK citizen is comfortable making money in the UK? Because he doesn’t wear a poppy?

You then ask why he does it when he knows he’s getting a reaction? Who’s fault is that? He’s sticking to his beliefs and he’s done it for years. More shame on the people that try and force their beliefs on him.

Baxter

He's also somehow linked the poppy to dictatorships, rising racism and Brexit, so it's no big surprise.
Nobody said that. However it absolutely has been politicised and the guys that’s seem to have a problem with people choosing not to wear it are largely on the right.

ivaldo

You questioned why a UK citizen is comfortable making money in the UK? Because he doesn’t wear a poppy?

You then ask why he does it when he knows he’s getting a reaction? Who’s fault is that? He’s sticking to his beliefs and he’s done it for years. More shame on the people that try and force their beliefs on him.
No. I didn't. I didn't make the connection between the Poppy's donation going to the British Legion, and therefore supporting the mental and physical wellbeing of war criminals. I was applying that same logic to illustrate a point. If you had followed the context of our posts you'd have known that. But no, you jumped in with comparisons with the EDL, which is a pretty dickish thing to do.

Are you telling me he finds it insufferable to face in the general direction of an English flag? Not sing the national anthem, not even look at it just stand with his shoulders facing it. He's done that to get a reaction. That doesn't make the reaction right either btw. He's a bellend, and those who react to it in the manner they have are even bigger bellends.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Nobody said that. However it absolutely has been politicised and the guys that’s seem to have a problem with people choosing not to wear it are largely on the right.
Uhhhhhhh ....

The OP has absolutely linked the poppy to all three of those. Look back through the thread, there's some ludicrous stuff

The far right connection is very unfortunate, and they should be condemned at every opportunity as a disgrace to what the poppy is meant to represent. The vast majority who wear poppies however, are just decent people attempting to show a bit of respect for the sacrifices millions of men made in the past.

Like I've said multiple times, I don't have any issue whatsoever with people choosing not to wear it. I just also don't think people buying a poppy and having a minutes silence before games is in any way contributing to 'growing racism' in society, and I don't think it's at all comparable to a fascist symbol.

Stuff like how apparently this is the 'militarisation' of football (wat? 'Militarization, or militarisation, is the process by which a society organizes itself for military conflict and violence.' .. yeah I don't think Dave down the local pub is readying his sniper rifle anytime soon) or how a song about remembering the dead is 'militaristic' is just ridiculous hyperbole which blows everything out of proportion and makes the poppy seem like a fecking swastika.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
How many of those vets have committed war atrocities in NI do you think? There’s still that very small chance those people being helped are rapists, murderers, fraudsters etc. We are talking infinitesimal numbers on both regards.

England isn’t his country, no.
Oh yes, it's certainly bound to be a very small amount. They're still there though and you're still more likely to support them through that charity than through, say, donating to the local homeless shelter, or the local GAA club, or by giving money to a Derry child fighting cancer, or by paying for the funeral of a local fan, all of which McClean has actually done. As I said, it's much easier to avoid supporting war veterans when you don't support a charity that specifically aids war veterans.

As for the bold, as far as I can see that's utter sophistry. The UK is his country and taxes are collected on that basis, no? I mean if taxes collected in NI stay in NI and in no way fund the UK's army then feel free to correct me, I'll happily admit I'm wrong. If not then he's forced to pay taxes to that same government regardless, unless you expect him to refuse to ever work, live or pay taxes in his own country?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I just read about that Stoke player. Those things should be personal choice. "Showing support" for anything must be personal choice. But it is not in these days. Today in this "democratic society" if you are not with us, you are against.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Ah, James McClean day again. One of my favourite times of the year. And I'm not the only one. We on the Caf love to congregate at this time of the year in a sporadically controversial thread to celebrate the outrageous/ completely understandable reluctance of the loveable Derry scallywag to pin a flower on his jersey. Some clueless outsiders might think this would become tiresome after a couple of years but we know better. See you next year!

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Yes folks it's the annual Poppy argy bargy. You can set your clock by it.

The further we get away from two world wars the less it is all understood and the closer we get to the next one.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
No he didn't have to do it, but he has anyway. I’ve outlined already why I think that assessment, that interpretation isn’t right. You’re welcome to respond to that post.
Well . . perhaps if you'd grown up a Catholic in 1970s Derry then you'd have a different interpretation.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I have to admit I do enjoy the arguments in these threads pretty much every year. :lol:

Baxter

No. I didn't. I didn't make the connection between the Poppy's donation going to the British Legion, and therefore supporting the mental and physical wellbeing of war criminals. I was applying that same logic to illustrate a point. If you had followed the context of our posts you'd have known that. But no, you jumped in with comparisons with the EDL, which is a pretty dickish thing to do.

Are you telling me he finds it insufferable to face in the general direction of an English flag? Not sing the national anthem, not even look at it just stand with his shoulders facing it. He's done that to get a reaction. That doesn't make the reaction right either btw. He's a bellend, and those who react to it in the manner they have are even bigger bellends.
The British Army killed innocent people in his hometown. I’d say that maybe he does in fact find it insufferable, and expecting him to sing God Save the Queen is ridiculous :lol:. I don’t see how that makes him a bellend. It’s just like those asking the NFL to ban players for kneeling during the anthem. You can’t scream for free speech and a democratic society, and call someone a bellend for having his own principles.

I think it also highlights why this kind of stuff needlessly causes trouble. People can pay their respects however they want. A lot of this goes back to some trying to show just how much more respect they have than others.

ivaldo

Well . . perhaps if you'd grown up a Catholic in 1970s Derry then you'd have a different interpretation.
Maybe. But just as he is entitled to his opinion on the matter, so am I for believing he is wrong, no?

ivaldo

The British Army killed innocent people in his hometown. I’d say that maybe he does in fact find it insufferable, and expecting him to sing God Save the Queen is ridiculous :lol:. I don’t see how that makes him a bellend. It’s just like those asking the NFL to ban players for kneeling during the anthem. You can’t scream for free speech and a democratic society, and call someone a bellend for having his own principles.

I think it also highlights why this kind of stuff needlessly causes trouble. People can pay their respects however they want. A lot of this goes back to some trying to show just how much more respect they have than others.
:lol: It seems you're struggling to read through the red mist. No one said he should sing God save the queen. Are you high?

I think I'm going to end this here. If you can't even construct your post around the contents of my own, there's little point us continuing.