Poppies and remembrance at football matches

RochaRoja

Massive PR boost? No it's not! The Poppy Appeal is run every year by the Royal British Legion, a charity that relies on donations to help members of the Armed Forces with a vast array of things.
It was originally intended as a memorial to those that fought and died on the battlefields of WW1 and later WW2. It has since become a symbol of memorial and remembrance to those that have fought and died in more recent conflicts including the Falklands, Iraq and Afghanistan (where I have also served and lost friends)
The RBL have been around for decades and anyone that has served even 1 day in the Armed Forces automatically becomes a member.
The RBL used to get a lot more in donations but charities like Help For Heroes now take a huge market share of the donations that people are willing to give so they promote themselves more in order to fundraise more. They are from my experience the best Armed Forces charity out there and do nothing but provide help and support for people that have been directly affected in service of this country.

I wear a poopy with pride on my uniform every year and lots of others do too. If someone doesn't want to wear one, I don't care really. Thats their choice and they're entitled to not wear it. People died in the World Wars to allow us to all have that choice so I don't understand anyone that finds it offensive if someone isn't wearing one.
You honestly don’t think poppy worship culture doesn’t influence young impressionable people to sign up?

Moriarty

It's a weekly event now. Mawkishness and (en)forced sentimentality at football, about people nobody even really knows, is off the chart.
Armistice Day used to be a solemn affair. On the Sunday, the old soldiers, sailors, and airmen (WWI and WWII veterans, as a rule) would walk to the local cenotaph and the vicar and the priest would read the eulogy. Everyone wore a poppy. There was no national discussion about wearing one; no "celebrity" input, and certainly nothing about footballers, lest it was a mention of the footballers' battalions who went to war.

All this changed after Diana was killed and, overnight it seems, the country became populated with grief-stricken people and it has remained that way ever since.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Armistice Day used to be a solemn affair. On the Sunday, the old soldiers, sailors, and airmen (WWI and WWII veterans, as a rule) would walk to the local cenotaph and the vicar and the priest would read the eulogy. Everyone wore a poppy. There was no national discussion about wearing one; no "celebrity" input, and certainly nothing about footballers, lest it was a mention of the footballers' battalions who went to war.

All this changed after Diana was killed and, overnight it seems, the country became populated with grief-stricken people and it has remained that way ever since.
Agree completely. Something changed that day and not necessarily for the better.

Camilo

It's all a bit forced. Remembrance Day is definitely becoming a bigger and bigger thing. It's rather odd. I liked the low-keyness of this country. It was more thoughtful, more personal. It's all a bit too official now, I don't like that. It's a little bit less about remembering, and a little bit more showing how much you remember.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm assuming Matic likely didn't wear the poppy because of the NATO bombings in the 90's? Or is it something else?

lsd

The Oracle
Matic has chosen not to wear a poppy today.
His choice and he shouldn't have to explain himself . I do like the fact going by the pictures of him not only did he not wear one it looks Ike he ripped it of his top. That's conviction

Parry Gallister

I dont like it. Remembrance should be private and personal, otherwise it has no meaning. Shaming people into wearing a remembrance symbol is particularly noxious.
This, don't like it when it's so forced - really should only be done on the day, even then it's not like games are kicking off at 11am. But I get why they do it at football, most of the clubs lost players in the wars after all.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm assuming Matic likely didn't wear the poppy because of the NATO bombings in the 90's? Or is it something else?
I would say so, most Serbians I've met still very much remember those bombings, generally think they were unjustified and are often quite bitter about it. I'd say seeing as the poppy is seemingly symbolising more and more British soldiers in every conflict, more people will feel a bit uncomfortable wearing it.

Needham

Truth is its all about money. The poppy industry is worth billions. From the fields of Afghanistan to the broad valleys of the Hindu Kush where these seeds are sown until harvesting and then consumption by impressionable westerners most people have no idea about the corruption and misery they cause.

Josep Dowling

I fully understand the reason behind wearing the poppy. We should have one weekend closest to the 11th November where we do the remembrance minute silence and clubs can wear a poppy on their shirt if they wish. But having a minute silence 3 weekends in a row and wearing poppies for a month on football shirts just seems pointless.

I noticed Matic wasn’t wearing a poppy, anyone know the reasons for this?

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
I noticed Matic wasn’t wearing a poppy, anyone know the reasons for this?
Probably because he doesn't want to wear one, and he doesn't have to justify it to anyone.

Josep Dowling

Probably because he doesn't want to wear one, and he doesn't have to justify it to anyone.
Whether you like it or not it is a tradition in this country to wear poppies around this time of year. When a player has clearly asked to not have a poppy on his shirt he must have a reason for not doing so.

He is entitled not to wear it of course, but I am curious why.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Whether you like it or not it is a tradition in this country to wear poppies around this time of year. When a player has clearly asked to not have a poppy on his shirt he must have a reason for not doing so.

He is entitled not to wear it of course, but I am curious why.
Perhaps he doesn't want to wear one because he's not British?

Who knows?

His choice. . . . But the idea that he has to let the general public know about it. . . Sorry - none of their business.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I would just assume he has his reasons. If you’re commemorating your part in a multi-national world war, you can’t be too surprised when some people in your multi-cultural society aren’t too keen to join in.

Not necessarily talking about Matic here, just a wider point.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Hurling abuse at foreign players because they aren't wearing a fecking poppy? British people really need to stop being so self-obsessed.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Perhaps he doesn't want to wear one because he's not British?

Who knows?

His choice. . . . But the idea that he has to let the general public know about it. . . Sorry - none of their business.
No, he doesn't "have to let the public know about it," but the poster was just asking a simple question.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
No, he doesn't "have to let the public know about it," but the poster was just asking a simple question.
I wasn't intentionally being rude to the poster asking a question.

I was just stating what should be the case. Where people feel they'd like to know (just out of curiosity) can turn into something else with demands from the media.

Member 93275

Many countries have a remembrance day, but without a symbol attached to it. The moment this symbol was attached to this remembrance day, it went wrong. Now it's about a symbol and attached ego competition between people about who shows the most respect to the fallen by wearing a symbol. "Look at me, I have respect because I wear it all week", "Look at him, he has no respect, because his symbol is too small". It's all a bit silly. It's about the fallen, not about this "look at how well I'm remembering" competition.

stevoc

News outlets say he is receiving tons of abuse online.

He did wear a poppy last year though, strange.

I was actually aware of the abuse mate i was just being sarcastic. Sadly we've got to the point where what should be a choice is basically being forced on people.

Eire Red United

Good on McClean for his response to these intolerant cretins.
Got to love McClean. That video from after the Stoke match is disgusting and shows the pondlife that walk among us. Imagine they were calling him a black b**d or a Jew B....d or Muslim B... etc instead of a Fenian one? Be some uproar then.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

I think another issue is the vast amount of money in football now. Imagine if there was no nod to the past with silence then our friends from the Mail and Sun would be putting out "HOW DARE MILLIONAIRE FOOTBALLERS REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE ARMISTICE DAY"

No issue with the minute's silence but I do think other aspects are blown up a fair bit with clubs seemingly competiting to provide the biggest "celebration" of the event. Having poppies on shirts also seems OTT to me.

When you think about it 20 years ago there were very few minutes silences before games. Now all different.

Mint

Got to love McClean. That video from after the Stoke match is disgusting and shows the pondlife that walk among us. Imagine they were calling him a black b**d or a Jew B....d or Muslim B... etc instead of a Fenian one? Be some uproar then.
McClean doesn't help himself with his pro-IRA comments.

Andy_Cole

I get why people want to know why Matic isn’t wearing one. As he went out of his way to wear a non poppy kit. So he obviously has his reasons.

Most people who don’t care in the normal world wouldn’t wear a poppy, however those people would have worn a kit with a poppy as they don’t care enough to request for a shirt without one.

RedDevil@84

I guess the fallen men will be more at peace knowing that their fellow countrymen are living a life of harmony, rather than trying to find reasons to fight among themselves on silly symbols

Morpheus 7

It's annoying how people can't respect someone's decision to not wear one. I grew up in Northern Ireland and can understand McClean's choice. I also understand why someone in Britain might wear one. It means different things depending where you are from and how your life and family were affected. I personally believe politics shouldn't be involved in any sport. People saying that it's no big deal just don't understand. If it was no big deal it wouldn't be a thread in here, never mind being reported across multiple national media sources.

In the end it comes back to freedom of choice and opinion. Nobody should be ridiculed for not wearing a poppy. I'm sure that in every workplace in the UK it's not mandatory to wear one. Why should it be any different for a footballer.