Portugal - Euro 2020 Discussion

Raees

Legal Guardian of the Football forums

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Strongest team in the tournament for me.

Very hard for me to pick a winner as France and Portugal are in a genuine two from three group. But pre-tournament, I’d say them.

telstar96

I reckon Portugal's midfield is pretty stacked and is probably the most important part of their team. Neves and Bruno can strike the ball well from range which could be useful in games that are tense and chances are at a premium. The manager just needs to find the right balance. I wouldn't be surprised if both Pereira and Carvalho both started against France or Germany with Bruno at 10, they did this in both games against France in the nations league. Also, Nuno Mendes looks unreal and I wouldn't be surprised if the manager took a gamble on him.

Overall, a great squad with a conundrum of who to pick and how to balance the midfield.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time
They've really got a lot of talent to pick from now. A lot of excellent footballers and Portugal have always been a proper 'team' anyway that makes the most of what it has, so they have that too.

Bruno and Silva in the same midfield sounds tasty. Not sure if they both start regularly though for them.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They are organised and streetwise as well as many world class players.

Ricardo in goal, Cancelo at RB, Pepe and Dias in the middle, Guerreiro and Nuno Mendes at LB is a talented bunch. Carvalho, Danilo, Moutinho, Neves, Bruno, Bernardo is a quality midfield, and Ronaldo, Andre Silva, Jots, Felix up front is unreal.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
In my opinion their team gets severly overrated. Sure, they've got a lot of good names out there but their (defensive) balance looks off to me. Especially in transitions -when they got dispossessed teams could have a proper go at them.

Personally, i wouldn't trust them fullbacks to defend (Cancelo isn't playing as a fullback for Guardiola and didn't start in the CL final for a reason), they don't have a good no.6 (Neves is slow as feck) and because most of the balls have to go through Ronaldo, they seem to be a bit predictable when it comes down to attacking.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
In my opinion their team gets severly overrated. Sure, they've got a lot of good names out there but their (defensive) balance looks off to me. Especially in transitions -when they got dispossessed teams could have a proper go at them.

Personally, i wouldn't trust them fullbacks to defend (Cancelo isn't playing as a fullback for Guardiola and didn't start in the CL final for a reason), they don't have a good no.6 (Neves is slow as feck) and because most of the balls have to go through Ronaldo, they seem to be a bit predictable when it comes down to attacking.
Pretty much none of that is true IMO. Firstly, they are an incredibly strong team, and are not exposed or easy to attack at all.

Nelson Semedo and Joao Cancelo is not some sort of weak RB option - it is amongst the best in the tournament.

They have a number of good midfielders. Neves is obviously not too slow to play football, he will be fine, but they also have Moutinho, Danilo and Carvalho.

In attack, they have far more than just Ronaldo. They have Jota and Felix too, then there is Bruno and Bernardo Silva. They have quality all over the pitch.

RedRonaldo

Pretty much none of that is true IMO. Firstly, they are an incredibly strong team, and are not exposed or easy to attack at all.

Nelson Semedo and Joao Cancelo is not some sort of weak RB option - it is amongst the best in the tournament.

They have a number of good midfielders. Neves is obviously not too slow to play football, he will be fine, but they also have Moutinho, Danilo and Carvalho.

In attack, they have far more than just Ronaldo. They have Jota and Felix too, then there is Bruno and Bernardo Silva. They have quality all over the pitch.
Moutinho is already 34 years old playing for Wolves. He is decent but no longer anywhere near top class. (ranked 9th avg rating in his team)
Carvalho is only an average DM playing in La Liga, mainly as a sub or as squad rotation in mid table club. (ranked 21th avg rating in his team)
Danilo is only a sub or squad rotation for PSG, he is not really a relevant player in his team. (ranked 15th avg rating in his team)

None of them can be regarded as good midfielders in this tournament at all, their DM is very weak.