Portugal - Euro 2020 Discussion

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought they were unlucky, but also way too cautious. He changed the system after the battering against Germany, though when you look at it, that system was only unsuited against a team like Germany and would've been fine or even better against France or Belgium (if they just changed Renato in for one of the defensive mids). Too negative and cautious and it led to little creativity until the end.

Also I'll add - Jota was woeful in the euros. fecked up so many chances every game.

Last edited:

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
So he’ll continue on with Portugal so he can break the record. He’s so close he has to.
I'm pretty sure he'll play in Euro 2024 as well.

He loves playing for his country, he's the record breaker, he'll have more than 200 appearances for Portugal.

Gonçalo Motta

The same luck Portugal got against France in 2016 final, including a hit on the post at the last minute.
Fair enough, but at least we tried to make something happen that game although France was the better team overall.

The only shot Belgium had on target was the goal.

Oh well, sometimes you win like that, other times you lose like that. This Belgium side isn't winning anything though

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
We set ourselves up to lose by playing so conservatively. Just because a National side has once or twice won a tournament by playing pragmatic football doesn't mean that's the best option. We got the monkey off our backs by winning 2016, let's evolve from that.

Selbourne

We set ourselves up to lose by playing so conservatively. Just because a National side has once or twice won a tournament by playing pragmatic football doesn't mean that's the best option. We got the monkey off our backs by winning 2016, let's evolve from that.
It's you winning the euro's and France getting there and France winning the World Cup that has actually got me thinking the other way and is why i'm actually optimistic for England this time around. I think it's the way to go for internationals

Last edited:

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
The problem with Portugal yesterrday was that we hadn't players on the flank who dribble a man. Bernardo Silva good player in a system but not the player who takes players one on one. Portuguese football hasn't fluid play so they need players who can pass a man on the flank, yesterday was a game in the last minutes for a type of player like Nani, Jovane or francisco Conceicao. But Portugal.hadn't those players on the bench. I don't say that those players are good enough for the NT but you hadn't a player like that on the bench. Belgium deserved the win, feel sorry for Patricio who was magnificent the last years with the NT but yesterday he should have done better.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Jealous watching the Croats and Swiss fights back today. Speaking of which, when did Portugal last overturn a game ?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Jealous watching the Croats and Swiss fights back today. Speaking of which, when did Portugal last overturn a game ?
Us? Under Santos? That's a good question, as far I can remember maybe only against lesser sides, for example our last game for the WC qualifiers we started losing at Luxembourg to win by 1:3. But on tournaments nothing happened, after all he has the incredible record of 3 victories in 15 games during 90 minutes between 2 Euros and a WC.

And forgot to answer this one to @Peyroteo, no I am not self entitled and this has nothing to do with winning or losing, using the you're not brazilian or german is running away from the question.

My problem with him since day one is that he relies on the individual quality of the players to solve problems, it's about the way we play, our offensive structure doesn't exist, demanding that the players know where player X or player Z will create passing options is something you can work on, you don't need to be a Guardiola, I don't know how you can defend a mediocre coach who only won by 2:0 against Wales in 2016, 1:0 against Morroco in 2018, and 3:0 against Hungary.

I know you will use the Nations League as a argument, but for me that's not a big competition. But I am being vindicated, he is losing popular support, and if he finishes behind Serbia to qualify for Qatar, not even his friends on the media will bail him out. I wonder what will he say in public this time, that press conference yesterday saying that we would win in Qatar resembled a drunk guy saying he stopped drinking. Pathetic.