Portugal - Euro 2020 Discussion

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I noticed once Renato Sanches came on for Portugal (didn't watch the whole game) that Portugal progressed the ball very quickly, everyone looking to work the ball up the pitch as soon as possible, both at 1-0 and 2-0. Excellent, really.

What was it like pre-Sanches? Even Danillo was quick in progressing play.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Fernando Santos is Guardiola in disguise :cool:
Get a rest. Wait for the next bus at Munich. :)

@Bastian it was more paused but the problem I see with Sanches is that if he starts against a Germany or France he unbalances the midfield because he loses too many balls IMO.

If football was only played with the ball he would be ok. But he is great coming from the bench when the other players are tired, he is unconscious and takes risks, for international football is great not so much for high level club football.

Sometimes he remembers me Quaresma on that part (not the technical side). I actually like him for the NT, but against the real top sides I fear that part of his game without the ball.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ready for the Danilo-William-Palhinha midfield trio? :lol:
Nah, even for his standards I doubt. But a Moutinho or Sergio Oliveira alongside them won’t surprise me.

But he surely will be inspired by the Sweden performance at Sevilla. He must be enjoying those videos from the possession football played by Germany today.

He must be learning today on a dictionary how bore them all to 0:0 and a point is written in German.

Actually, not liking him I don’t remember heavy defeats under him. Let’s see if we defend well, no doubt he just wants a point from this game.:lol::lol::lol:

Tony247

Bruno was completely wasted. He can't play so much forward position. Against Hungary he was playing like second striker whereas he should be playing central role to dictate the game. After he dropped little deeper he opened the game with a superb through ball which led to the first goal.

Shocked to see he was lurking around the box almost 70% of the match. How he supposed to create chances?

Bruno was completely wasted. He can't play so much forward position. Against Hungary he was playing like second striker whereas he should be playing central role to dictate the game. After he dropped little deeper he opened the game with a superb through ball which led to the first goal.

Shocked to see he was lurking around the box almost 70% of the match. How he supposed to create chances?
Even then he still created 3 chances, the most of any player on the pitch. Created the chance that CR7 missed in front of the net in the first half. Brilliant player.

Tony247

When you have one of the most creative midfielder in Europe in your team and you play him out of position in group of death match then I seriously doubt mental state of the coach.

telstar96

The distance between the two centre mids/holding mids and Bruno was way too big. Danilo or William were playing so deep in the build up that they were usually like 20-30 yards away from the closest attacking player, and let's be honest their game is about recycling possession, not playing line breaking passes or progressive carries. If either them did get forward they just look so uncomfortable and would just resort to passing backwards.

I don't think Jota worked particularly well with Ronaldo. Both like to play in similar areas of the pitch, Jota didn't really hold the width and was coming inside, while Ronaldo was constantly peeling off towards the left. I think Portugal will probably try this combination again vs Germany, but if it still doesn't work, I expect Jota to be dropped.

The substitutions for Portugal were very promising. Even if they were late and rather reactionary from the offside goal Hungary scored, they were super effective. Completely overloaded the right side of the pitch (I believe all there goals were made playing down this side). Sanches looked very comfortable further up the pitch compared to Danilo/William. This was pretty evident in the build to the penalty where he managed to burst forward, shrug off a few challenges and play a ball into Rafa Silva.

Overall, I think Portugal did get away with one and I'm sure against a top side they'd get found out playing this way. The big positives are the great substitutions the manager made, although I'm sure he'll want to make changes a bit earlier and not in the last 10 mins of the game.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Still think they will win the tournament, and certainly the only team that can maybe stop the French at least.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The distance between the two centre mids/holding mids and Bruno was way too big.
It was intentional, and honestly think he is using that for 2 reasons. To prepare the games against Germany and France, and the other reason is to offer more protection to Bruno going forward and for the fullbacks. But it has been a problem to make the midfield work, at least since the game away at Serbia this year.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@Peyroteo have you seen the news Santos is thinking about playing one more midfielder against Germany? :lol::lol:

I can see him taking Jota out of the eleven and throwing Moutinho or Sanches to the midfield.

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
I'm curious to see how many games santos needs to find the right combination, in 2016 he needed 3 games to go with the sporting duo William and Adrien. Then he insisted in Moutinho.

I would start André Silva, I think he is the best partner for CR7, would bench Bernardo Silva, Jota, Danilo (sorry defensive probably the best MF but attacking a totally nobody),

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I'm curious to see how many games santos needs to find the right combination, in 2016 he needed 3 games to go with the sporting duo William and Adrien. Then he insisted in Moutinho.

I would start André Silva, I think he is the best partner for CR7, would bench Bernardo Silva, Jota, Danilo (sorry defensive probably the best MF but attacking a totally nobody),
That game against Hungary was what saved us in the tournament, after that he found the right combination for midfield and defence and we only suffered a goal in 450 minutes (ok against France luck was on our side).

Would play Mendes and Felix for this game, swap for Jota and Guerreiro, it was the worst game I saw from Jota at the NT, but must be said, our problem is the midfield, recent news is that we will introduce one more midfielder, I can see him replacing Bernardo with Sanches playing on the right.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
That game against Hungary was what saved us in the tournament, after that he found the right combination for midfield and defence and we only suffered a goal in 450 minutes (ok against France luck was on our side).

Would play Mendes and Felix for this game, swap for Jota and Guerreiro, it was the worst game I saw from Jota at the NT, but must be said, our problem is the midfield, recent news is that we will introduce one more midfielder, I can see him replacing Bernardo with Sanches playing on the right.
I actually don’t think that’s a bad idea for the next two games but it should be a substitution rather than the main plan.

Jota is our fastest forward so he should play because we’re going to get chances to counterattack. He was wasteful in the last game but I think it was a one off.

He needs to try something different in midfield, I think the forwards are fine.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I actually don’t think that’s a bad idea for the next two games but it should be a substitution rather than the main plan.

Jota is our fastest forward so he should play because we’re going to get chances to counterattack. He was wasteful in the last game but I think it was a one off.

He needs to try something different in midfield, I think the forwards are fine.
You know what? I have been thinking what I would do. Call me crazy but instead swapping Guerreiro directly for Mendes, would take William off, move Guerreiro to the midfield, instead a 4/2/3/1 would go for a 4/3/3 where the 2 number 8”s would be Guerreiro and Fernandes, while our front 3 would be Felix as a false 9, Cristiano on the left, where Guerreiro would cover his lack of defensive effort. And Bernardo on the right. That double pivot is awful, there was a big hole between the 2 and Fernandes.

Call me crazy but I sincerely think if there is a game that we need to take risks is this, not France. And before you ask me, yes Guerreiro already played as a midfielder for Dortmund. I know it won’t happen.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
You know what? I have been thinking what I would do. Call me crazy but instead swapping Guerreiro directly for Mendes, would take William off, move Guerreiro to the midfield, instead a 4/2/3/1 would go for a 4/3/3 where the 2 number 8”s would be Guerreiro and Fernandes, while our front 3 would be Felix as a false 9, Cristiano on the left, where Guerreiro would cover his lack of defensive effort. And Bernardo on the right. That double pivot is awful, there was a big hole between the 2 and Fernandes.

Call me crazy but I sincerely think if there is a game that we need to take risks is this, not France. And before you ask me, yes Guerreiro already played as a midfielder for Dortmund. I know it won’t happen.
Nuno Mendes didn't train today because of injury so it won't happen. Hoping that he recovers quickly. I think at some point he'll play both Mendes and Guerreiro at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me.

Don't think he'd start William and Danilo against Hungary but then take one of them off for Germany. I think it will be the same team, everyone will complain but I don't see a better option for this kind of game tbh with the players we have

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Nuno Mendes didn't train today because of injury so it won't happen. Hoping that he recovers quickly. I think at some point he'll play both Mendes and Guerreiro at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me.

Don't think he'd start William and Danilo against Hungary but then take one of them off for Germany. I think it will be the same team, everyone will complain but I don't see a better option for this kind of game tbh with the players we have
Yup was coming here now to say he probably hasn’t conditions to play. Anyway I hate the double pivot.

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP

Danilo William and creating chances don't work. William is great in passing the ball to the RF or LF but Bernardo Silva isn't a F that dribbles a lot when he has to start from standing still , he needs it from the good running lines who create space for him.

So Danilo needs a type of Moutinho at his side, William needs one or 2 players at his side who run to the box like he had in France with JM and AS/RS.

Santos needs to make choices because the best players don't make the best team, CR7 doesn't defend much, BF isn't the best defender he runs but Pogba said it Bruno isn't good at defending,

Santos is wasting talent by playing a lot of players roles that don't are their best.

I would go for William X (not Danilo), and in front with AS, CR7. I think in CM you need all round players who can do both (defend and distribute) , Palhinha, Neves, Pote, Moutinho.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I am starting to think he is keeping that nonsense of double pivot and the same lineup. And repeating that we played very well Tuesday. Jesus why is he so stubborn with his ideas? We were 10 minutes away from drawing that game. Not to mention that offside.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
So Danilo needs a type of Moutinho at his side, William needs one or 2 players at his side who run to the box like he had in France with JM and AS/RS.
I am starting to think he is keeping that nonsense of double pivot and the same lineup. And repeating that we played very well Tuesday. Jesus why is he so stubborn with his ideas? We were 10 minutes away from drawing that game. Not to mention that offside.
I agree with everyone that William-Danilo double pivot isn't good but for me the alternatives aren't good either. What better options do we have for the big games than William-Danilo?

Danilo-Moutinho/Neves/Renato behind Bruno won't be great either, all of them have their problems.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I agree with everyone that William-Danilo double pivot isn't good but for me the alternatives aren't good either. What better options do we have for the big games than William-Danilo?

Danilo-Moutinho/Neves/Renato behind Bruno won't be great either, all of them have their problems.
Well he tried Danilo and Oliveira at Serbia and Spain and it was also terrible. Don’t know what to think really. I just hope that they show personality to press and forget the quality of the opponent. If we go there only to defend we will be smashed. More than a result I want a team with personality in the pitch, I’m stuck with that 4:0 defeat against them in Brasil, show some fecking pride and don’t play as a small team.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Well he tried Danilo and Oliveira at Serbia and Spain and it was also terrible. Don’t know what to think really. I just hope that they show personality to press and forget the quality of the opponent. If we go there only to defend we will be smashed. More than a result I want a team with personality in the pitch, I’m stuck with that 4:0 defeat against them in Brasil, show some fecking pride and don’t play as a small team.
If you think there's any chance we won't play very cautious football then think again :lol:

Even France played like that against them though and they're the World Champions. We're playing Germany in Munich and they're the team historically that we have worst results against. A draw would guarantee us qualification too... we're definitely going to be very defensive as usual, there's no way the engineer makes the team more attacking in a game like this

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
If you think there's any chance we won't play very cautious football then think again :lol:

Even France played like that against them though and they're the World Champions. We're playing Germany in Munich and they're the team historically that we have worst results against. A draw would guarantee us qualification too... we're definitely going to be very defensive as usual, there's no way the engineer makes the team more attacking in a game like this
After Nuno Mendes now Félix also injured, hope they recover for the France game. Felix has a lot of muscular injuries, doesn’t look great for him on a long term career.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I'd have started Danilo and Carvalho, makes sense against the bigger sides. Jota needs a good game as does Bernardo.
Germany so unlucky here, they should be winning and suffer totally against what was happening on the pitch. I really hate to see they way Santos sets up this team to play. Pathetic.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Germany so unlucky here, they should be winning and suffer totally against what was happening on the pitch. I really hate to see they way Santos sets up this team to play. Pathetic.
Germany are still a good footballing side, they caused France some troubles. Not sure what else we can do really. Perhaps try matching them with a 352?

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
At least we won one game this Euro's. See you at the world cup next year hopefully without Santos who should be sent to the opticians straight after this game for not cancelling out Germanys numerical advantage going forward.

Irwin99

At least we won one game this Euro's. See you at the world cup next year hopefully without Santos who should be sent to the opticians straight after this game for not cancelling out Germanys numerical advantage going forward.
You'll get out of the group won't you if Germany beat Hungary? A draw against France should see you through.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Renato Sanches had a great euros 2016, struggled for a bit after but looks brilliant here. His pace and power and low center of gravity while running with the ball is huge for them. Surely has to start ahead of William. Can't use two defensive mids like that. Need more drive through the middle.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
It worked in 2016 and Santos has stuck with it ever since. But it's time to move on from William.

Today was my worry about Semedo, in the big big games he just isn't good enough. But not sure what else you can do when he's the only option ?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It worked in 2016 and Santos has stuck with it ever since. But it's time to move on from William.

Today was my worry about Semedo, in the big big games he just isn't good enough. But not sure what else you can do when he's the only option ?
Semedo wasn't even particularly bad today. This was entirely a tactical beating, and Santos never reacted

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If they loss to the France in their final game (which is likely), can they still progress to knockout stages?

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
If they loss to the France in their final game (which is likely), can they still progress to knockout stages?
They can, but 3 points it's too risky...might get eliminated.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
In this game to counter the german width we had three options:
  1. Place one of the defensive midfielders in the middle of the Center backs so they can cover the full backs (more logic approach looking at our starting 11)
  2. Make Jota and Bernardo help the fullbacks (logical, but it takes a high toll on both players that have to cover a lot of miles during the game).
  3. Take a risk and make the fullbacks defend on width, but it will open a gap that can be exploited by explosive players.
Our answer was to keep the game plan and keep the double pivot very close to each other, which was useless because Germany was not circulating the ball on that area of the pitch.

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
In this game to counter the german width we had three options:
  1. Place one of the defensive midfielders in the middle of the Center backs so they can cover the full backs (more logic approach looking at our starting 11)
  2. Make Jota and Bernardo help the fullbacks (logical, but it takes a high toll on both players that have to cover a lot of miles during the game).
  3. Take a risk and make the fullbacks defend on width, but it will open a gap that can be exploited by explosive players.
Our answer was to keep the game plan and keep the double pivot very close to each other, which was useless because Germany was not circulating the ball on that area of the pitch.

Put pressure on their defence but that is difficult if you're DM stay in front of the defense. Or keep the ball in the team and not playing all the time on counter attack. It was hot so if you keep control of the ball the other team will get tired. Most Portuguese coaches play negative football, an offensive coach would have done what I say. But to play football you need football players who can pass the ball and not types like Danilo who needs 5 touches to give the pass. Maybe You can use Danilo as a back-up but never as your main DM.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Put pressure on their defence but that is difficult if you're DM stay in front of the defense. Or keep the ball in the team and not playing all the time on counter attack. It was hot so if you keep control of the ball the other team will get tired. Most Portuguese coaches play negative football, an offensive coach would have done what I say. But to play football you need football players who can pass the ball and not types like Danilo who needs 5 touches to give the pass. Maybe You can use Danilo as a back-up but never as your main DM.
William was not better either tbh. The logical midfield would be Palhinha and Sanches who are in very good physical form. Danilo is a competitive player, but yes, he lacks the finess on passing.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I have no idea why they go for a defence- first approach. It worked in 2016, but people forget they didn't win a game in 90 in the entire tournament except Wales. Their attack was good, but not extraordinary like it is today and if we're completely honest it had a lot of luck.

Now, they have arguably among top 3 attacks so playing the same way, with an inferior and defence just doesn't make sense