Portugal - Euro 2020 Discussion

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I don't think Portugal were ''lucky'' in 2016. They defended very well, Pepe had an amazing tournament, as did Guerreiro and Patricio. People say didn't win a game in 90, but didn't lose either and they controlled nearly every game. Nobody played an intense, fast tempo style against Portugal to unsettle the Danilo and Carvalho partnership back then. It's a glaring issue that's gone untested by opposition for ages, today we saw just how bad it is when exposed. No more please Santos. Time for a passing of the guard. God knows there are enough Portuguese managers out there to choose from.

izec

The Portuguese manager today was exposed badly IMO. Cant believe he didnt change the tactics and formation at HT. They wont win the tournament with it anymore, as they got exposed and shown how to beat them. They need to really change something

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
It is what it is. Santos got taken to school. It was a loss based on tactics. Every goal originated from that right flank by Gosens. I feel confident in the Portugal players to win individual battles and to perform against their opposite number, but they can't perform miracles. Do France now copy Germanys tactics ?

Luke1995

Expected more of Fernandes and Bernardo today. Are they underperforming because of tactics or other reason ?

Scottynaldinho

Can only say that the manager is out of his depth. Him taking Bruno off was like giving up on the game, what was he thinking. You don't take Bruno off the field when you're trailing, should've changed the tactics to get him involved instead.

izec

It is what it is. Santos got taken to school. It was a loss based on tactics. Every goal originated from that right flank by Gosens. I feel confident in the Portugal players to win individual battles and to perform against their opposite number, but they can't perform miracles. Do France now copy Germanys tactics ?
No, but more flexible sides might i.e ones that know how to with a back three or five. I think France will think they can hold you off with their own tactics. They have the best side arguably. In the knockout rounds, If i had good wingbacks and Portugal would stick with the same lineup and tactics, i would go at the fullbacks and try to exploit it like Germany today over Semedo. It is a blueprint. Much easier than breaking you down through the middle.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Wednesday I just wait France do their job and this pathetic coach can go into retirement.

How is possible at this level you are playing against a 3/4/3 and during 90 minutes you think the problem was Bernardo Silva and then Sanches and so on had to track back? Why not drop one of the midfielders alongside the center backs and push the 2 full backs upside?

I am not even going to mention Semedo but if Cancelo was there the problems would be the same. Honestly sad to have such a limited coach on the bench. Tbh I don't know who can suceed him, but for ffs more 3 years under this guy I rather watch another sport.

This was similar to Solari on the 7:1, that's how bad it was.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Wednesday I just wait France do their job and this pathetic coach can go into retirement.

How is possible at this level you are playing against a 3/4/3 and during 90 minutes you think the problem was Bernardo Silva and then Sanches and so on had to track back? Why not drop one of the midfielders alongside the center backs and push the 2 full backs upside?

I am not even going to mention Semedo but if Cancelo was there the problems would be the same. Honestly sad to have such a limited coach on the bench. Tbh I don't know who can suceed him, but for ffs more 3 years under this guy I rather watch another sport.

This was similar to Solari on the 7:1, that's how bad it was.
Any chance Jose would do the job in tandem with his Roma job?

Definitely rooting for them on Wednesday.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Any chance Jose would do the job in tandem with his Roma job?

Definitely rooting for them on Wednesday.
No, I hope not, at least the current one no, he doesn't inspire no one who follows football closely.

I guess it was @GhastlyHun who predicted Germany would do well because Mourinho predicted on the Sun they wouldn't get out of the group stage. Having said that as idiots as the guys from the Federation are they might pick him when at some point he will be sacked from Roma.

I really don't know who can raise the tatical level of this team, when a kid with 36 years old won the Domestic League playing exactly with the same system as Germany today and the idiot who manages the NT cannot explain who was responsible for stopping the same movement again and again by Goosens I guess the preparation and study for this game by the Engineer Santos was all done with a lot of faith and praying since he is a religious guy.

Now we just need a miracle against Les Bleus... God help us.

acnumber9

So Portugal just need to avoid a three goal defeat by my reckoning then.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So Portugal just need to avoid a three goal defeat by my reckoning then.
What if they're beaten by two goals - making them level on points and GD with Ukraine. Is it then goals scored?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Will be interesting to see if they'll still play Danilo and Carvalho. That was a shocking midfield against Germany.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Finish 3rd in the group and its an easy route to the semis at the very least. Netherlands in Ro16, Denmark/Wales in QF and most likely Germany/England (or Spain if they somehow top the group) in Semis

Powerhouser

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't think Portugal were ''lucky'' in 2016. They defended very well, Pepe had an amazing tournament, as did Guerreiro and Patricio. People say didn't win a game in 90, but didn't lose either and they controlled nearly every game. Nobody played an intense, fast tempo style against Portugal to unsettle the Danilo and Carvalho partnership back then. It's a glaring issue that's gone untested by opposition for ages, today we saw just how bad it is when exposed. No more please Santos. Time for a passing of the guard. God knows there are enough Portuguese managers out there to choose from.
They were lucky to not play any big teams until they reached final, but you are right about their defense being brilliant, thats how they won the Euros, not because of Ronaldo or Eder.

bakalhau

Aren't we out if Hungary wins though? And we lose, which is what I'm preparing for.

anant

Aren't we out if Hungary wins though? And we lose, which is what I'm preparing for.
If that happens, you'd be through. The 3 of you finished level on points, with Portugal having a +1GD in this 3-way tie. So, at worst, you'd be finishing 3rd in the group. You'd need to lose by 3+ goal margin and hope for certain set of results in group E and group D to be knocked out

bakalhau

I appreciate your input. I'll try and expand my thoughts:

If we *lose*, we are on 3 points, Hungary on 4... Germany on 3. If Hungary wins.

Aren't we out then since Germany has won the head to head? We would finish 4th.

anant

If we *lose*, we are on 3 points, Hungary on 4... Germany on 3. If Hungary wins.

Oh yeah, forgot Hungary drew to France. My bad.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I can't see Germany deciding to lose to Hungary and relying on France to beat Portugal for them to scrap through.

bakalhau

I'm being pessimistic I know.

Germany did bottle against South Korea in 2018...:nervous:

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Its possible. But Germany are at home.. AGAIN....

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'm being pessimistic I know.

Germany did bottle against South Korea in 2018...:nervous:
Germany needed to win that day against Korea so pushed and pushed for the winner leaving themself vulnerable at the back.

A draw sees them through this time and I can't really see them losing it.

Poltophagy

Germany needed to win that day against Korea so pushed and pushed for the winner leaving themself vulnerable at the back.

A draw sees them through this time and I can't really see them losing it.
Germany bottling it against SK was really unique (only time in WC history they did so). Didn't have a bad team, didn't play terrible and SK was far from their best. Just the type of game you expect Germany to win every time given their hard earned reputation. There's been a curse for WC winning teams ever since 2006. They all go out in the groups 4 years later. So we can chalk it up to that.

I see Germany beating Hungary as easily as they did in 1944.

MrEleson

Finish 3rd in the group and its an easy route to the semis at the very least. Netherlands in Ro16, Denmark/Wales in QF and most likely Germany/England (or Spain if they somehow top the group) in Semis
Couldn’t they also play Belgium in last 16?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
They could still progress if they avoid big defeats to France, even 0-2 or 1-3 loss could see them through (unless Hungary beats Germany by 1-0).

But it will be Mbappe vs Semedo, so I am not optimistic.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

I am sure it’s count on goal diffferemce? Apparently Denmark progress through goal difference, even though they are level on points with Finland despite losing head on head.

anant

Couldn’t they also play Belgium in last 16?
It is a possibility as well. However, knowing their luck, I believe Portugal will play Netherlands. For Netherlands to avoid 3rd placed team from Group F, I believe only 2 teams from Spain's group need to go through (Sweden don't lose vs Poland and a non-draw result in Spain vs Slovakia) and Scotland vs Croatia game doesn't have to end in a draw

antk

I am sure it’s count on goal diffferemce? Apparently Denmark progress through goal difference, even though they are level on points with Finland despite losing head on head.
That's because there are 3 teams tied with 3 points in this group, so all results between the 3 are considered. Denmark has the better GD in this mini league.

If Portugal and Germany both have 3 points by the end of the round, Germany will be ahead of Portugal. GD won't matter.

TheGame

Disagree. They came 3rd in a group with Hungry, Iceland and Austria without winning a game. They were very lucky to make it through. Then beat Croatia after extra time, Poland on penalties and Wales to the final which is a easy route. I can't remember an easier route to a major tournament final. Playing harder teams here has exposed their weaknesses.

cyberman

Disagree. They came 3rd in a group with Hungry, Iceland and Austria without winning a game. They were very lucky to make it through. Then beat Croatia after extra time, Poland on penalties and Wales to the final which is a easy route. I can't remember an easier route to a major tournament final. Playing harder teams here has exposed their weaknesses.
Croatia reached a WC final not 2 years later. Portugal beat the 2 finalists on their way to winning it?

cyberman

They may have improved in 2018 but they got knocked out in group stages of the 2014 world cup. France was their hardest game.
That was 4 years prior! It just seems youre listing off names just because theyre smaller countries. Wales were better than both Spain and Belgium that summer. Just because they are called Wales doesn’t automatically make them an easy side to beat.

TheGame

That was 4 years prior! It just seems youre listing off names just because theyre smaller countries. Wales were better than both Spain and Belgium that summer. Jusy because they are called Wales doesn’t automatically make them an easy side to beat.
2 years prior to the tournament. No I'm listing the countries they played. Name me a country who has had an easier route to a final than that. Are you seriously suggesting not winning a game and finishing third in that group is not lucky?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
2 years prior to the tournament. No I'm listing the countries they played. Name me a country who has had an easier route to a final than that. Are you seriously suggesting not winning a game and finishing third in that group is not lucky?
It was actually unlucky how we didn’t win a game in that group if you rewatch the games. We had 70 shots in those 3 group games, our opponents had 17. Yet we scored 4 and conceded 4.

We got lucky with how things turned out in the draw for sure but I think the only game where luck was on our side was the final.

And if you look at our draws in the past 30 years it was about time we got an easy one because it seems like we’re in the group of death more often than not.

Gonçalo Motta

This squad is better on paper but that 2016 was better as a unit imo.

And it's not like any team managed to beat us under 90 minutes either. Croatia 2 years later were the WC finalists and France the WC winners.
Yeah, it was the easiest route of the two routes to the trophy but it wasn't for free.

Belgium was really strong as well and lost against Wales in the same route.

Last edited: