Portugal | WC 2022 Discussion | Roberto Martinez to become next manager

Swordsman

This Argentina team isn’t that impressive. They have only looked extraordinary against a poor Poland. Australia almost tied with them, Saudi Arabia neared them, against Mexico they only successfully attacked twice and good for them they were effective. Argentina is good, it’s just not on the level of Brasil, France and England… even Portugal looks way stronger.
Let see if Messi have to bail his friends out again or his friends step up.

Swordsman

It’s weird but Dias and Cancelo have looked like some of the worst players on the pitch, I really don’t know what’s happening to the City players at this World Cup. Bernardo hasn’t been up to his standards either really.

I’m most worried about Dias In defence. Antonio Silva has looked really good but he’s only 19, would take enormous balls of steel from Santos to play him.
I always believed if you are good enough, you are old enough to play.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I always believed if you are good enough, you are old enough to play.
I am a big believer in that, I hate the whole experience over youth thought process.

MrEleson

Erm, so how come it was posted on Twitter? Not sure you thought that one through...
I thought it through. It was only published by this page. Whereas Ronaldo’s supposed lack of celebration was posted by every man and his dog.

Cloud7

It’s weird but Dias and Cancelo have looked like some of the worst players on the pitch, I really don’t know what’s happening to the City players at this World Cup. Bernardo hasn’t been up to his standards either really.

I’m most worried about Dias In defence. Antonio Silva has looked really good but he’s only 19, would take enormous balls of steel from Santos to play him.
Pep and his tactics/setup elevate the level of all the players in his team

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Cancelo has to start. Only in Portugal can the starting right back of a top 3 side in Europe sit on the bench for gurreiro.

I agree on Dias, he does not look In form.
Why does a player who isn't playing well has to play just because he is on a top club? It's not that Cancelo has played better than Guerreiro this tournament. But I suspect Cancelo will play on the left and I would bench Dias, it's the second tournament in a row where he has been substantially worse than Pepe.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

System players. While those players are good individually, Pep has created a system which makes them look even better hence why they don't look as good elsewhere.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Why does a player who isn't playing well has to play just because he is on a top club? It's not that Cancelo has played better than Guerreiro this tournament. But I suspect Cancelo will play on the left and I would bench Dias, it's the second tournament in a row where he has been substantially worse than Pepe.
While I do agree cancelo has been in poor form his quality is undeniable and guerreiro to me is a liability. The only game he has performed at a decent level but to fair everyone looked decent enough vs the Swiss

al.gabiru

Players have a peak and teams, generations, too. I believe that this Portuguese generation is at its peak, with players at the best age (Bernardo Silva, Bruno Fernandes, Guerreiro: 28 years) and other young players with a lot of energy.

I think that in the next tournaments, Portugal will not be so strong.

There are young players like João Felix or Rafael Leão, but many will be in their thirties. Other players emerging, like Vitinha, but I don't believe they'll find two playmakers like Bernardo Silva and Bruno Fernandes. Portugal today has a good mix of youth and experience. It won't happen again soon.

Gazza

I thought it through. It was only published by this page. Whereas Ronaldo’s supposed lack of celebration was posted by every man and his dog.
when Joao Cancelo does his interview with Piers Morgan I’m sure he’ll get some more flak too

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Players have a peak and teams, generations, too. I believe that this Portuguese generation is at its peak, with players at the best age (Bernardo Silva, Bruno Fernandes, Guerreiro: 28 years) and other young players with a lot of energy.

There are young players like João Felix or Rafael Leão, but many will be in their thirties. Other players emerging, like Vitinha, but I don't believe they'll find two playmakers like Bernardo Silva and Bruno Fernandes. Portugal today has a good mix of youth and experience. It won't happen again soon.
Possibly but a lot of people thought Portugal would have to wait a long time after the Figo/Rui Costa era. I have faith in Portuguse youth football to keep producing talent now.

GinobiliTheGOAT

While I do agree cancelo has been in poor form his quality is undeniable and guerreiro to me is a liability. The only game he has performed at a decent level but to fair everyone looked decent enough vs the Swiss
You must be feeling good for this WC my friend.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Guerreiro is a good player but like Nuno Mendes they struggle with muscular problems during the season.

Having said that if Cancelo has to play now is on the left, wouldn’t mind to put António Silva instead Dias, he wasn’t good last game.

José Mateus

Supports
Benfica

There are many promising young players emerging. I believe the next 10 years will be even better, especially if we hire a courageous coach

Players below/around 23 at the WC:

Rafael Leão
Gonçalo Ramos
Vitinha
Dalot
António Silva
Diogo Costa
Nuno Mendes

Others:

Pedro Neto
Fábio Vieira
Gonçalo Inácio
Trincão
Fábio Carvalho
Florentino
Fábio Silva
David Costa
Henrique Araújo

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Fernando Santos out. Jorge Mendes influence over and a new FA President is all I ask

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Wasn't going to go far with those defensive lapses. Rebuild needed at the back. Dias and Costa arent good enough and Pepe will be retiring.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Wasn't going to go far with those defensive lapses. Rebuild needed at the back. Dias and Costa arent good enough and Pepe will be retiring.
I think we will drop a level and become a mid tier team that's why I want a complete remodelation of our sporting directives. Begin with a new chapter with new president, new manager and new generation of players. It will be painful but needed. Kinda like the German reset.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think we will drop a level and become a mid tier team that's why I want a complete remodelation of our sporting directives. Begin with a new chapter with new president, new manager and new generation of players. It will be painful but needed. Kinda like the German reset.
A bad tournament doesn't make Dias, Man City's best CB, and Diogo Costa (arguably the most promising goalkeeper around), not good enough.

There's loads of potential in Portugal's team. Both Bruno and Bernardo will be 31, almost 32 in the next world cup, so they'll be still at the top of their games just about. Antonio Silva huge potential to partner Dias. Nuno Mendes and Dalot at full back will be at their peaks. Felix, Leao, Ramos, vitinha, Nunes all will be in their peaks.

I'd say Portugal is best placed to improve if anything. Loads of quality and potential in every single position, without any weak points which is rare in international football.

Josh 76

A bad tournament doesn't make Dias, Man City's best CB, and Diogo Costa (arguably the most promising goalkeeper around), not good enough.

There's loads of potential in Portugal's team. Both Bruno and Bernardo will be 31, almost 32 in the next world cup, so they'll be still at the top of their games just about. Antonio Silva huge potential to partner Dias. Nuno Mendes and Dalot at full back will be at their peaks. Felix, Leao, Ramos, vitinha, Nunes all will be in their peaks.

I'd say Portugal is best placed to improve if anything. Loads of quality and potential in every single position, without any weak points which is rare in international football.
You forgot to mention Jota

bosnian_red

You forgot to mention Jota
Yeah as part of the squad. Don't think he's as good as the others in that side and come the next world cup, think someone like Goncalo Ramos will just be ahead of him.

Leao Ramos Felix
Bruno/Bernardo
Vitinha Nunes
Mendes Dias Silva Dalot
Costa
And loads of depth and competition behind them. That's a fantastic 11 IMO, it just needs a coach who can put it together, and then the luck and mentality to get over the line. And it's not just great players placed together who don't suit each other, they all balance each other and the modern game perfectly. Pace, power and dynamism, creativity and pressing resistance etc. I'd be very optimistic if I was Portuguese for the next few tournaments, more so than the previous few. Will be a failure if they don't win one.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal

When you take into account Euro 2021, it does. He looks an absolute mess with Portugal on the big stage. John Stones has overtaken him as City's best CB and I'd start Laporte over him too. I'm probably a big harsh on Costa, he needs more experience, but he needs to learn and learn quick. It's one thing performing for club, a different thing playing for your country.

But I agree on the whole, there's still bright signs for the future (with the right coach).

bosnian_red

When you take into account Euro 2021, it does. He looks an absolute mess with Portugal on the big stage. John Stones has overtaken him as City's best CB and I'd start Laporte over him too. I'm probably a big harsh on Costa, he needs more experience, but he needs to learn and learn quick. It's one thing performing for club, a different thing playing for your country.

But I agree on the whole, there's still bright signs for the future (with the right coach).
I think the coach is the biggest thing. A player can look world class under one coach and average under another, as we see with Cancelo especially. The coach has to know how to use them, and then of course they have to fit into the team. A lot depends on what coach Portugal go for. Though at the same time... Portugal has the squad that can play the best football, but we've seen time and time again that playing the best football doesn't necessarily give you success in international football.

dan1509

One of Portugals main problems is Bruno Fernandes. I am still of the opinion that you cannot win a major trophy with that dude as your starter. He just loses the ball way to much and attempts way too many through balls. Against Morrocco he was atrocious

This whole "he performs better without ronaldo" narrative is bullshit. He was terrible at united in the season before ronaldo signed

Real Name

One of Portugals main problems is Bruno Fernandes. I am still of the opinion that you cannot win a major trophy with that dude as your starter. He just loses the ball way to much and attempts way too many through balls. Against Morrocco he was atrocious

This whole "he performs better without ronaldo" narrative is bullshit. He was terrible at united in the season before ronaldo signed
Here we go again.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Apparently Santos is out according to portuguese media. Happy days.

What's not great is the speculation regarding Mourinho. Really don't want more shite on a stick defensive football.

Seij

Yeah as part of the squad. Don't think he's as good as the others in that side and come the next world cup, think someone like Goncalo Ramos will just be ahead of him.

Leao Ramos Felix
Bruno/Bernardo
Vitinha Nunes
Mendes Dias Silva Dalot
Costa
And loads of depth and competition behind them. That's a fantastic 11 IMO, it just needs a coach who can put it together, and then the luck and mentality to get over the line. And it's not just great players placed together who don't suit each other, they all balance each other and the modern game perfectly. Pace, power and dynamism, creativity and pressing resistance etc. I'd be very optimistic if I was Portuguese for the next few tournaments, more so than the previous few. Will be a failure if they don't win one.
That is a scary team that could compete for any trophy under a good manager.

KeanoMagicHat

Apparently Santos is out according to portuguese media. Happy days.

What's not great is the speculation regarding Mourinho. Really don't want more shite on a stick defensive football.
Deschamps has shown within reason that it can still work at that level. I'd be intrigued by Mourinho at international level, but can't help but think he's 6 or 7 years past his best as a manager.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Deschamps has shown within reason that it can still work at that level. I'd be intrigued by Mourinho at international level, but can't help but think he's 6 or 7 years past his best as a manager.
Deschamps was never as defensive as Mourinho.

He played more attacking footy in Euro 2016 and Brazil 2014, and the last Nations League France won.

And this WC he is clear showing more attacking mindset than the last one.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Should have got rid earlier.

England are also making the same mistake with keeping Southgate on.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Best news of the day. Since 2018 I have been waiting for this. The bad news might be who will come in. Have been thinking a lot about the state of International Football and every WC the gap between Club Football and International Football is bigger.

Since USA 94 and France 98 the level has been dropping, not growing, at least it's my opinion, don't know if Champions League and Premier League explosion has anything to do with this or no.

Anyway there's also good stories here, like Morocco, actually felt if England hadn't crossed with France they were easily top 4 in this competition, Brazil again failing on the last 8 vs a European team, 35 years old Messi playing at top level, everybody mentions Mbappe but for me the best French player in the tournament is Griezmann.

Regarding Portugal, don't know if our problem was being pragmatic or not, think it's a false question, even not liking him actually Santos this time tried different things but the team lacked some tactical quality to be prepared to find alternative solutions when the opponent scored first.

Presuming Pepe and Ronaldo will leave (makes no sense to remain for 2024) and knowing Diogo Costa had a bad WC, for me the 2 more obvious weaknesses on the team regarding individual quality are that Dias never developed into a top CB for Portugal, at least if I compare him with Ricardo Carvalho or Pepe, he is miles away from them.

Another obvious weakness is that we need a much better defensive midfielder than Neves, he isn't a top international player, don't care what they wrote about him over the years, we need much better than this.

Another weakness in this tournament was that we didn't tried to insert Leão on the 11 because he unbalances tactically the team, but he is the only wide player who adds speed to our game, it was a mistake we didn't tried him on the 11.

This also brings the question for a country that for decades created top wingers, or at least good players for international level (Futre, Conceição,Figo, Simão, Quaresma,Nani, younger Cristiano) it's quite extraordinary our only reliable solution is Leão or maybe Jota. Not good enough.

Anyway, more than talking if the new coach has to be offensive or defensive we need someone who is strong tactically, it's not that International Football is flooded with super coaches, we only need someone who is respected by the players and has strong convictions.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
So we are winners of this World Cup as well.
Now watch the Federation bring someone worse :lol:

chicha14

How do the rest of the Portuguese fans feel about Leonardo Jardim?

Grateful to Santos for what he achieved but think his time was overdue, this WC he made plenty of incorrect decisions in my opinion. One of the worst things was approaching the Morocco game the same way he approached the Belgium game in the Euro after going 1-0 down.

As many coaches do, he seems to have his favourites and made some horrible calls. That is however a story for another day.