Portuguese Football 2018/19

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I understand that. 2 trophies in a few months is fantastic but I have no doubt who the better coach is though I agree he was overpaid. Both cup wins were very lucky not that I am complaining though.

Either way I am just going to enjoy this win it was an emotional one after everything that happened and I hope it could maybe be the start of something good....only time will tell.
Ahah, you really struggle with adversity during the game from your posts. I just give 2 names for those who complain. Gaspar and Diaby. I rest my case.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Ahah, you really struggle with adversity during the game from your posts. I just give 2 names for those who complain. Gaspar and Diaby. I rest my case.
Oh I agree. They are so bad it hurts. I’ll even add a few more names Ilori and gudelj.

And ya I mean Sporting have a costumed me to expect the worse so I’m a negative person :lol:

Lastly believe me there is no one who would want Keizer to succeed more then me! I hope he does because if he does then that means it’s good for Sporting. But after watching him for a majority of the season I am not sure if he is the man for the job BUT I know he has EARNED the opportunity to have a transfer market and pre season to build his team his way.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Great to see another SCP cup win!

What makes Jamor so good a place for a game?
Lots of tradition and history there and even though it's a very old stadium, it's beautiful. What's special about it isn't really the stadium, it's the whole atmosphere, it's a huge party pretty much. Would be great even if there wasn't a football game going on.

Add to that the great weather that's around by the time the cup final happens and it's pretty much the perfect game to go to.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Congrats you damn luckers :mad:

Hope both teams improve their ranks massively this summer to make a better league. I don't have a single player i like in this Porto team besides Militão and Casillas and both will leave. Club needs a new cycle, president and board included although it will not happen but let's see if they get proper reinforcements this time. A top class striker should be the biggest priority.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Congrats you damn luckers :mad:

Hope both teams improve their ranks massively this summer to make a better league. I don't have a single player i like in this Porto team besides Militão and Casillas and both will leave. Club needs a new cycle, president and board included although it will not happen but let's see if they get proper reinforcements this time. A top class striker should be the biggest priority.
Do you know if Sergio has plans at least for Queirós or Leite? Would like to see at least one of those receiving a chance.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Do you know if Sergio has plans at least for Queirós or Leite? Would like to see at least one of those receiving a chance.
Did you watch the U20? I saw that they won 1-0 but how did they play?

That generation seems like it has a lot of potential.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Did you watch the U20? I saw that they won 1-0 but how did they play?

That generation seems like it has a lot of potential.
Watched today on RTP 1. If you have the box you can watch there or at RTP play.

Regarding us we have potential, but a few things that I didn’t liked today was when on the second half the South Koreans started to play deep we struggled to create chances from open play.

First half we were comfortable where we are better. Give them the ball and counter.On Tuesday at 17:00 you can watch us vs Argentina, and imo we need to raise our level and play as a team.

Maybe the style of play they have suits us, but if they score first, I don’t know.

Mentioned Queirós or Leite because I am seeing Militao or Felipe leaving, if they don’t play now at Porto, it will never happen.

And Portugal needs credible options for goalkeepers and centerbacks, we barely have Portuguese keepers on the league.

It’s dramatic for the NT. Of course there is always the chance to call up players on the same situation as Deco or Pepe.

Tuesday try to watch them, against Argentina we can confirm what’s their real value.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Watched today on RTP 1. If you have the box you can watch there or at RTP play.

Regarding us we have potential, but a few things that I didn’t liked today was when on the second half the South Koreans started to play deep we struggled to create chances from open play.

First half we were comfortable where we are better. Give them the ball and counter.On Tuesday at 17:00 you can watch us vs Argentina, and imo we need to raise our level and play as a team.

Maybe the style of play they have suits us, but if they score first, I don’t know.

Mentioned Queirós or Leite because I am seeing Militao or Felipe leaving, if they don’t play now at Porto, it will never happen.

And Portugal needs credible options for goalkeepers and centerbacks, we barely have Portuguese keepers on the league.

It’s dramatic for the NT. Of course there is always the chance to call up players on the same situation as Deco or Pepe.

Tuesday try to watch them, against Argentina we can confirm what’s their real value.
Thanks. I'll try to watch them Tuesday then, should be a good game.

As for the bold, I really hope they get their chance. Pepe has been awful since coming back to Portugal, the CB situation on our NT is the worst I remember it ever being. We need Ferro, Diogo Leite and Diogo Queiros to turn into truly great players.

Last edited:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Thanks. I'll try to watch them Tuesday then, should be a good game.

As for the bold, I really hope they get their chance. Pepe has been awful since coming back to Portugal, the CB situation on our NT is the worst I remember it ever being. We need Ferro, Diogo Leite and Diogo Queiros to turn into truly great players.
Pepe or Fonte are on their last legs, and Rambo Dias is a red card waiting to happen. In 3 years I don’t see any credible option for goalkeepers, nobody mentions this.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
An impressive number of victories for Sporting in penalty shootouts over the past 2 seasons:

2018 League Cup semis vs. Porto
2018 League Cup final vs. Vitoria Setubal
2018 Cup semis vs. Porto
2019 League Cup semis vs. Braga
2019 League Cup final vs. Porto
2019 Cup final vs. Porto

SLBenfica1904

Supports
SLBenfica
Pepe or Fonte are on their last legs, and Rambo Dias is a red card waiting to happen. In 3 years I don’t see any credible option for goalkeepers, nobody mentions this.
When Rúben is the best option for the cb position, that says a lot about how worried should us be with the Defenders for the next Euro. Concerning GK I'm not that worried, we will always end with an average keeper that somehow doesn't play bad in those competitions. I don't remember any GK in the last 10 years or so being very criticized and the best we had since Vítor Baía is Patrício that while being much better than the others is nowhere near worldclass.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
When Rúben is the best option for the cb position, that says a lot about how worried should us be with the Defenders for the next Euro. Concerning GK I'm not that worried, we will always end with an average keeper that somehow doesn't play bad in those competitions. I don't remember any GK in the last 10 years or so being very criticized and the best we had since Vítor Baía is Patrício that while being much better than the others is nowhere near worldclass.
Vítor Baía pre injuries was a top keeper. You’re right about Patricio but the problem we have is none of the younger keepers who are playing have the same level. I mean Claudio Ramos or Tiago Sa certainly aren’t. Who’s going to be the next Portuguese keeper from the best clubs in Portugal? In the near future? That’s a real problem. We simply don’t have qualified training at youth level regarding that.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
No idea but they said a couple of the Youth League champions will do pre-season. Of course that wont be enough. Young players need to play and must be given leeway to commit their mistakes without being sent back to B teams.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
It’s easy to explain, they have better individual players, the only way you can compete with them at this moment is like this.

If he played very open that difference would be shown on the final score. The only thing I know is that on a few months with worse players won more than that millionaire fraud from Reboleira.

And that’s what matters in the end.
He was a fraud for sure and with a good team he couldn’t win shit. But going back to this coach I do like him he plays attacking football which thats what I like...except yesterday but against porto which has better players but a shitty coach we had to play a defensive game.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Congratulations to Sporting. Despite Porto playing better, Porto's goal was a clear handball by Herrera that the VAR let it go.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@Peyroteo I hate to be always right like I am some sort of genius which I am not. The moment Argentina scored first I knew we would lose. Why?

Because like I said from the senior team to the under 15’s the coaches working there are average to mediocre at best.

We don’t know how to organise offensively, with the ball we rely on the inspiration of some individual player to bail us out.

It’s very poor really, even excluding Santos most of this guys like Hélio, Peixe, Rui Bento and so on are only working there because they are former players.

None of them has relevant work at any club at youth level, this has nothing to do with the times Queiroz worked there on the 80’s or 90’s.

One day you will give me the reason regarding Santos, but tbf the problem is having incompetent people thinking playing good football as a team is meaningless, you just need a saviour and everything will be fine.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Well I am not the only one who’s imagining things I guess.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
@Peyroteo I hate to be always right like I am some sort of genius which I am not. The moment Argentina scored first I knew we would lose. Why?

Because like I said from the senior team to the under 15’s the coaches working there are average to mediocre at best.

We don’t know how to organise offensively, with the ball we rely on the inspiration of some individual player to bail us out.

It’s very poor really, even excluding Santos most of this guys like Hélio, Peixe, Rui Bento and so on are only working there because they are former players.

None of them has relevant work at any club at youth level, this has nothing to do with the times Queiroz worked there on the 80’s or 90’s.

One day you will give me the reason regarding Santos, but tbf the problem is having incompetent people thinking playing good football as a team is meaningless, you just need a saviour and everything will be fine.
We were the better team and didn't play that badly. He was great when he won the U17 Euros and U19 Euros but now he's clueless?

We've been overperforming for years at all levels, mostly due to good coaching. We're not Spain, Germany or France. Of course we won't do consistently as well as those teams when we have a fifth of the population. Coaching in Portugal is as good as anywhere else on the planet, don't doubt it for a second. You can look through the managers of the youth teams of other top european countries and they'll have the same experience as the Portugal managers.

The players aren't as good as many people believe. There are plenty of weak spots and it's not easy to play fluid attractive football and build a philosophy around it in international football without making mistakes.

We're in an era of unprecedented success for Portugal's football. We're in the group stages of the U20 World Cup with a great chance of reaching the knockout rounds and getting far into the tournament. What more do you want? If that's not enough, then your expectations are too high.

If Quina was in there instead of Miguel Luis, everything would look different. That's not the manager's fault.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
We were the better team and didn't play that badly. He was great when he won the U17 Euros and U19 Euros but now he's clueless?

We've been overperforming for years at all levels, mostly due to good coaching. We're not Spain, Germany or France. Of course we won't do consistently as well as those teams when we have a fifth of the population. Coaching in Portugal is as good as anywhere else on the planet, don't doubt it for a second. You can look through the managers of the youth teams of other top european countries and they'll have the same experience as the Portugal managers.

The players aren't as good as many people believe. There are plenty of weak spots and it's not easy to play fluid attractive football and build a philosophy around it in international football without making mistakes.

We're in an era of unprecedented success for Portugal's football. We're in the group stages of the U20 World Cup with a great chance of reaching the knockout rounds and getting far into the tournament. What more do you want? If that's not enough, then your expectations are too high.

If Quina was in there instead of Miguel Luis, everything would look different. That's not the manager's fault.
Do you really want to believe the problem is explained by a individual player? I don’t. I said the same regarding Santos and I will say the same regarding Hélio, nothing to do with winning or losing. It’s about playing collectively. As a team. Not relying on the inspiration of a individual player to solve the problems.

If you want to believe it fine. I only say I watched 1 game from Uruguay and 30 minutes of the USA yesterday. We are miles behind playing as a collective.

I don’t make judgements based on results. I base this on the football played. Only.

Having said that, we can beat South Africa and qualify on second.

Forget about winning, tell you what, the only individual player on this team who I can see reaching the senior team in 1 or 2 years is Florentino.

The rest is short on the near term.

Oh and Hélio, Peixe or Rui Bento have done what at club level? I don’t say these things saying we should win. It’s about playing.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Do you really want to believe the problem is explained by a individual player? I don’t. I said the same regarding Santos and I will say the same regarding Hélio, nothing to do with winning or losing. It’s about playing collectively. As a team. Not relying on the inspiration of a individual player to solve the problems.

If you want to believe it fine. I only say I watched 1 game from Uruguay and 30 minutes of the USA yesterday. We are miles behind playing as a collective.

I don’t make judgements based on results. I base this on the football played. Only.

Having said that, we can beat South Africa and qualify on second.

Forget about winning, tell you what, the only individual player on this team who I can see reaching the senior team in 1 or 2 years is Florentino.

The rest is short on the near term.

Oh and Hélio, Peixe or Rui Bento have done what at club level? I don’t say these things saying we should win. It’s about playing.
Either we just routinely get very lucky or the results maybe tell us that we're not doing that badly.

We can't use players to their full potential and improve collectively because we have to make up for the weak parts of the team. In the first team, having Pepe and Ruben Dias starting immediately means we have to give them extra protection and we're not able to build from the back and play possession football. Here in the U20 there is clearly a problem in the midfield balance, Miguel Luis shouldn't be playing.

I spent years watching us play entertaining football only to win nothing over and over again. I much prefer this uglier and cynical version with the results at the end. If the results stop coming then change managers but if we keep overperforming then it shouldn't be tough to hold criticism for boring and uncreative football while the results are the best they've ever been in the history of the national team.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Either we just routinely get very lucky or the results maybe tell us that we're not doing that badly.

We can't use players to their full potential and improve collectively because we have to make up for the weak parts of the team. In the first team, having Pepe and Ruben Dias starting immediately means we have to give them extra protection and we're not able to build from the back and play possession football. Here in the U20 there is clearly a problem in the midfield balance, Miguel Luis shouldn't be playing.

I spent years watching us play entertaining football only to win nothing over and over again. I much prefer this uglier and cynical version with the results at the end. If the results stop coming then change managers but if we keep overperforming then it shouldn't be tough to hold criticism for boring and uncreative football while the results are the best they've ever been in the history of the national team.
Ah I see. You rather watch the team who won in 2016 playing crap instead the team who played the best football I ever watched us play in Euro 2000 because they didn’t win?

By the way I am not a romantic or lyrical about only 1 way of playing to win. But at least do it with quality.

I guess you’re one of those who has the mentality to win at every cost. I don’t, that’s why it’s great knowing we think about the same subject with different opinions.

Of course if I was there tomorrow everybody would be fired. Meanwhile you would tell them to do all the feck they want.

Perspectives. :lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
Ah I see. You rather watch the team who won in 2016 playing crap instead the team who played the best football I ever watched us play in Euro 2000 because they didn’t win?

By the way I am not a romantic or lyrical about only 1 way of playing to win. But at least do it with quality.

I guess you’re one of those who has the mentality to win at every cost. I don’t, that’s why it’s great knowing we think about the same subject with different opinions.

Of course if I was there tomorrow everybody would be fired. Meanwhile you would tell them to do all the feck they want.

Perspectives. :lol:
I haven't read at all anything about this debate yet so don't crucify me but... If the question is "would you rather watch your team play ugly football and win trophies or watch them play beautiful football and win nothing"? I know which one I would pick. In the end history will only care and look at the trophies won not who played the prettiest. Now that does not mean we dont need to make big changes in our youth setups and try to improve our overall quality because in that I agree with you 100%.

Like I said in terms of the question asked I choose the 2016 team every single day IF it means we win the trophy. My favorite Portugal teams that I can remember was the team from Euro 04 and the WC 06 team. Nothing they ever did beats the feeling I felt when we won in 2016.

I would sign anywhere right now if Sporting won the league next season with all 1-0 wins or 90th minute own goal winners with the ball booted up the field:lol::lol::lol:

To quote the fast and the furious (well partially) "Winning is winning.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Hell yes. I've lost count of the amount of times I've rewatched the Euro 2016 matches. I even think it felt better to win like that than it would have felt to have won it by being the best team and dominating the competition.

I still get a cold sweat when thinking about Gignac's chance or Martial's last second attempt.

We could go on to win a World Cup and it wouldn't beat that feeling. It's unrepeatable.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@SportingCP96 I am not advocating that all the current coaches working on the Federation have the duty to put us playing like a Guardiola or Klopp team. Particularly talking about youth national teams where they spend a few weeks with the players over the year.

And yes I don’t agree with the mantra to win something you have to play ugly. That’s just nonsense used to justify the shitness of Santos as if the man has any clue how he won.

I know he is a religious person, but I suspect it wasn’t Nossa Senhora de Fátima who made the team win. The best team I watched was on Euro 2000, 96 or 2004, and the mantra of the Santos apologists is that those teams played well but won nothing. Pure nonsense really.

@Peyroteo It’s quite obvious what I think about Santos and the current crop of coaches working on the Federation. We have different football views or tastes and that’s fine.

So I will make 2 predictions now. Quote me if I was right or wrong.

First, we will win Friday vs South Africa, get the second place, face France on the last 16 and we will be easily beaten.

Next one regarding your beloved Engineer. I will pray that we lose vs Switzerland during the 90 or 120 minutes.

Why? Well, first because I still have the secret dream to see him fired before it’s too late for 2020 or 2022. The next is because if we have the bad luck to face England with something like the current Pepe/Fonte or Dias Or even Guerreiro as a fullback, the only thing I say at halftime you’re already embarrassed with the number of goals suffered .

Quote me later, joke with me if I am wrong. If I am right, you have to recognise maybe your resultadist view of football and the amount of energy you spend on the Ronaldo vs Messi thread is twisting your football views.

This isn’t black or white.

SportingCP96

Supports
@SportingCP96 I am not advocating that all the current coaches working on the Federation have the duty to put us playing like a Guardiola or Klopp team. Particularly talking about youth national teams where they spend a few weeks with the players over the year.

And yes I don’t agree with the mantra to win something you have to play ugly. That’s just nonsense used to justify the shitness of Santos as if the man has any clue how he won.

I know he is a religious person, but I suspect it wasn’t Nossa Senhora de Fátima who made the team win. The best team I watched was on Euro 2000, 96 or 2004, and the mantra of the Santos apologists is that those teams played well but won nothing. Pure nonsense really.

@Peyroteo It’s quite obvious what I think about Santos and the current crop of coaches working on the Federation. We have different football views or tastes and that’s fine.

First, we will win Friday vs South Africa, get the second place, face France on the last 16 and we will be easily beaten.

Next one regarding your beloved Engineer. I will pray that we lose vs Switzerland during the 90 or 120 minutes.

Why? Well, first because I still have the secret dream to see him fired before it’s too late for 2020 or 2022. The next is because if we have the bad luck to face England with something like the current Pepe/Fonte or Dias Or even Guerreiro as a fullback, the only thing I say at halftime you’re already embarrassed with the number of goals suffered .

Quote me later, joke with me if I am wrong. If I am right, you have to recognise maybe your resultadist view of football and the amount of energy you spend on the Ronaldo vs Messi thread is twisting your football views.

I get that but once again I am not defending Santos. In fact I agree he should be gone though I understand why his oxygen bubble is so big.

My point was in general I would take playing ugly football and winning then taking beautiful football and losing.

I am not saying you need ugly football to win. I am not saying beautiful football will make you lose.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

We can’t play France in the round of 16, I agree that they’ll get knocked out by the first top team they face but that still wouldn’t be a bad result.

I’m not a resultadist, I just don’t believe that with the current group of players it would be a good idea to play a more proactive and creative style of football. Portugal winning a major international tournament would pretty much always be an upset and I think that to win it as the underdog you’re more likely to succeed with more cautious football than with the expansive type of football we played with the golden generation at the beginning of the century.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@Peyroteo My bad, was induced by the RTP commentators who were always mentioning France.

@SportingCP96 On another note, I think if you’re interested on Academy players on the squad Miguel Luis might not be one of them. :lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
@Peyroteo My bad, was induced by the RTP commentators who were always mentioning France.

@SportingCP96 On another note, I think if you’re interested on Academy players on the squad Miguel Luis might not be one of them. :lol:
I have known that for a while now:lol:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@Peyroteo So the Federation has plenty of great coaches, right? Everything I have been saying unfortunately is right. Let’s wait for the Nations League. Keep in mind I am not advocating titles. Only playing football would help.

I rest my case, not going to bother more with a Federation where the main criteria to hire someone is being a ex player or friend of Fernando Gomes.

Utterly ridiculous performance.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
@Peyroteo So the Federation has plenty of great coaches, right? Everything I have been saying unfortunately is right. Let’s wait for the Nations League. Keep in mind I am not advocating titles. Only playing football would help.

I rest my case, not going to bother more with a Federation where the main criteria to hire someone is being a ex player or friend of Fernando Gomes.

Utterly ridiculous performance.
It's the same manager that won the U17 and U19 Euros. He was great then but now he's unqualified?

Over 40 shots in total in the 3 matches, everything went against them. Players are clearly not as good as everyone said. It's time to stop overrating every young portuguese player that manages to get any consistent game time.

With that said, preparation for this was atrocious with only 1 week's work and the attitude of the players is inexcusable. Manager has to be blamed.

We might lose against Switzerland in the Nations League, that's not the point. Santos will leave as the most successful manager in Portugal's NT history and you still argue he was a bad choice? Hélio leaves this team as one of the most successful youth managers in Portugal's NT history. We can't win and overperform in every damn tournament. There will be disappointments like tonight, it's normal. We're not France, Germany or Spain and we'll never be.

The federation is corrupt, they're nowhere near as corrupt as they once were in the times Jorge Mendes handpicked who would go and who wouldn't. Things have gotten a lot better when it comes to the national teams. Being an ex player and having good conections inside the federations helps in getting this kind of job in every single country on the planet, it's not just Portugal.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It's the same manager that won the U17 and U19 Euros. He was great then but now he's unqualified?

Over 40 shots in total in the 3 matches, everything went against them. Players are clearly not as good as everyone said. It's time to stop overrating every young portuguese player that manages to get any consistent game time.

With that said, preparation for this was atrocious with only 1 week's work and the attitude of the players is inexcusable. Manager has to be blamed.

We might lose against Switzerland in the Nations League, that's not the point. Santos will leave as the most successful manager in Portugal's NT history and you still argue he was a bad choice? Hélio leaves this team as one of the most successful youth managers in Portugal's NT history. We can't win and overperform in every damn tournament. There will be disappointments like tonight, it's normal. We're not France, Germany or Spain and we'll never be.

The federation is corrupt, they're nowhere near as corrupt as they once were in the times Jorge Mendes handpicked who would go and who wouldn't. Things have gotten a lot better when it comes to the national teams. Being an ex player and having good conections inside the federations helps in getting this kind of job in every single country on the planet, it's not just Portugal.
Points where I agree. Preparation? 1 week? Really? There’s a reason why Queiroz was hated by many on the 80’s or 90’s. With him preparation for this tournament implied multiple weeks of preparation during the year. And I know this because one of his former players (not very known but he was from Sporting) said that without those years of hard work and mental preparation to overcome the inferiority complex they had nothing could have been won. Him or Jesualdo were levels apart comparing with the current ones who work there. Of course he was controversial, arrogant and hated by a lot of players when he worked with older players.

Setting our differences aside, I have to push my memory and if I can remember well the last time we were knocked out on the group stages of this competition was on 1993! Even fecking Couceiro on 2007 with a awful team where the only players who had decent quality were Patricio or Coentrao qualified to the last 16.

On 2011 we went into a final where our best players were Cedric, Mario Rui or Danilo. Ok Nelson Oliveira was good on that tournament.

There are no words for this. Massive failure. I always had a soft spot for this competition because I started going into Football stadiums on 1991 as a kid.

First Alvalade and then the under 20 tournament we won at Estádio da Luz on 1991. Those teams were so much better prepared, not even close.

Don’t think all this players were great last Summer and suddenly turned into shit, but this was a wake up call for those who think you win games having a superagent or more value on Transfermarkt.

You’re right, maybe 2016 will take a lot of years to happen again with this arrogant attitude. We can discuss other day the corruption issues.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
The time of day that the futsal finals are being played is a complete joke. It doesn't benefit anyone and it makes a mockery out of the fans and out of the sport.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
FC Porto was the European and National champion at U19 level, but on TV we only hear about Benfica's and Sporting's youth academies.
Everybody that follows youth football knows that Porto always has good players. Having said that they need to start giving more playing time to some of them. Let’s see next season.