Portuguese Football 2019/20

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
They should play to there strengths and play a 4-3-3. We have fantastic midfield options that we can exploit but instead we insist in a 3 CB formation when we don’t have the CBs do fit the system.
We should vary between a 4-3-3 and the 5-2-3/5-3-2 rather than always play the same formation. Our only hope if we keep playing this formation is that Eduardo Quaresma can have a great season and hold the defense together because our current CBs all have mistakes in them that will undoubtedly cost us points soon enough.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
They should play to there strengths and play a 4-3-3. We have fantastic midfield options that we can exploit but instead we insist in a 3 CB formation when we don’t have the CBs do fit the system.
On a good note, LASK result apart, the team is doing much better performance wise. Even the LASK game Coates got sent off by a poor ref decision, but I don't think it would avoid the elimination either way (Sporting played poorly that night).

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
We should vary between a 4-3-3 and the 5-2-3/5-3-2 rather than always play the same formation. Our only hope if we keep playing this formation is that Eduardo Quaresma can have a great season and hold the defense together because our current CBs all have mistakes in them that will undoubtedly cost us points soon enough.
Ya neto is just awful. Feddal does not convince me at all either.

Coates is our best defender and solid for our league despite his mistakes and mental lapses he has sometimes.

if we are using a 3 cb formation I would go with Borja as the LCB because he offers some more speed and Quaresma on the right.

realistically considering we are fighting for nothing this season I would go with Inácio Coates and Quaresma.

Will the youth cost us points? Sure but so will playing with absolute scrubs like we are right now. I rather reap the long term benefit of playing these high potential players.

I still think 4-3-3 is the way to go Considering the quality we have in the middle.

SportingCP96

Supports
On a good note, LASK result apart, the team is doing much better performance wise. Even the LASK game Coates got sent off by a poor ref decision, but I don't think it would avoid the elimination either way (Sporting played poorly that night).
Before that Coates red there was a clear penalty not called on us and on the break they got the red and 3rd goal which essentially killed off the game.

I think we have been getting some decent results but our performances as a whole have not impressed me. We lack firepower up top or presence in the box which makes our attack super predictable to defend against.

I do like Amorim though and believe he has good ideas.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
AS Primeira Liga started, I would like to highlight two players:
  1. Rodrigo Pinho: despite Marítimo poor season start, this 29 y.o. striker has been showing some skill. A very handy striker for midtable teams.
  2. Samuel Lino: a nice scout from Gil Viente, this kid seems to have a bright future. Let's see if it's not the motivation energy.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Anyone here watched the first half of Paços-Porto? :lol:

What a complete farce of a football game

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Just saw the highlights....it looked like a normal defeat.
Yeah it was definitely a fair result. It just had the worst referee performance I've seen all year, there were so many mistakes it became hilarious to watch, the decision to disallow Paços' goal in particular deserved some kind of trophy for the ref to take home.

The funniest moment of the game was Sérgio Conceição ending the game by complaining about the referee when he was by far their best player today. 3rd game in a row that Porto's opponents get their coach sent off, meanwhile Conceição can do whatever the hell he wants.

Last edited:

SportingCP96

Supports
Yeah it was definitely a fair result. It just had the worst referee performance I've seen all year, there were so many mistakes it became hilarious to watch, the decision to disallow Paços' goal in particular deserved some kind of trophy for the ref to take home.

The funniest moment of the game was Sérgio Conceição ending the game by complaining about the referee when he was by far their best player today. 3rd game in a row that Porto's opponents get their coach sent off, meanwhile Conceição can do whatever the hell he wants.
Second most corrupt league in Europe never forget it.

Incredible win by Pacos even thought "higher powers" tried to prevent that.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

Just saw now a longer video of the match highlights.....ehm yeah the referee was at least a Porto fan as a child :nervous:

SportingCP96

Supports
Best performance in a LOOOOONNNNGGGG time by Sporting tonight. 4-0 but it could of been much more.

- Joao Mario is on another level to this league atm. Easily the best midfielder in Portugal.
- Palhinha is an absolute wall. Those 2 years in Braga did him very well.
- Sporar has a surprisingly good game and him and TT have to start.
- Pote has been brilliant.

I think it is safe to say we have the best midfield in the league.

Still a long way to go and even though we are in *1st (pending Benfica game tomorrow) for now I still think we are closer to finishing in 3rd/4th than in 1st/2nd.

This opinion could very well change but I have been a Sporting fan for too long to know not to get excited after 6 games especially since bar this performance we have been shite.

Nonetheless very happy with the win/performance from the lads and I hope they can surprise us all all this season.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Best performance in a LOOOOONNNNGGGG time by Sporting tonight. 4-0 but it could of been much more.

- Joao Mario is on another level to this league atm. Easily the best midfielder in Portugal.
- Palhinha is an absolute wall. Those 2 years in Braga did him very well.
- Sporar has a surprisingly good game and him and TT have to start.
- Pote has been brilliant.

I think it is safe to say we have the best midfield in the league.

Still a long way to go and even though we are in *1st (pending Benfica game tomorrow) for now I still think we are closer to finishing in 3rd/4th than in 1st/2nd.

This opinion could very well change but I have been a Sporting fan for too long to know not to get excited after 6 games especially since bar this performance we have been shite.

Nonetheless very happy with the win/performance from the lads and I hope they can surprise us all all this season.
Should have scored 10 today, couldn't believe it when they made it 2-1 on that goal that got ruled out. Brilliant game but we simply can't afford to do some of the same mistakes against better teams. Against Vitoria in a week will be a bigger test where we'll be able to see just how good this team is because today Tondela were awful.

Tiago Tomás is turning into one of my favourite players. He's below average technically but the boy gives everything and he's very smart in how he moves. He's probably the best finisher in the team too, really hope he stays with us for a long time and I believe that's completely possible as he'll never be a great talent that will have the big clubs after him.

We need to give Jovane a chance of playing next to Sporar, we've been playing him out of position and now he's low on confidence. The amount of options we have for those positions is ridiculous, we're going to have to sell one of those players and buy a CB and a right wingback as cover for Porro as those are two positions where we're not good enough. Really hope we can make some smart deals in January, Varandas got this summer window spot on so let's hope they keep on the same track.

As for the expectations for the season, we definitely should be looking more at Porto/Braga than at Benfica, second place would be a great season as we get direct qualification to the Champions League. It's tough for fans to stay grounded but it will only end up in disappointment if we expect them to fight for the title with this Benfica team after the investment they've made

SportingCP96

Supports
Should have scored 10 today, couldn't believe it when they made it 2-1 on that goal that got ruled out. Brilliant game but we simply can't afford to do some of the same mistakes against better teams. Against Vitoria in a week will be a bigger test where we'll be able to see just how good this team is because today Tondela were awful.

Tiago Tomás is turning into one of my favourite players. He's below average technically but the boy gives everything and he's very smart in how he moves. He's probably the best finisher in the team too, really hope he stays with us for a long time and I believe that's completely possible as he'll never be a great talent that will have the big clubs after him.

We need to give Jovane a chance of playing next to Sporar, we've been playing him out of position and now he's low on confidence. The amount of options we have for those positions is ridiculous, we're going to have to sell one of those players and buy a CB and a right wingback as cover for Porro as those are two positions where we're not good enough. Really hope we can make some smart deals in January, Varandas got this summer window spot on so let's hope they keep on the same track.

As for the expectations for the season, we definitely should be looking more at Porto/Braga than at Benfica, second place would be a great season as we get direct qualification to the Champions League. It's tough for fans to stay grounded but it will only end up in disappointment if we expect them to fight for the title with this Benfica team after the investment they've made
Ya CL would be exceptional as imo if Benfica Win tomorrow the league is over. Sporting are nota threat to that top spot and the only team that should be (Porto) is about to be 8 points behind. League will be over by this time tomorrow.

I agree on TT btw. Lots of fans get on him for his lack of technical ability but I dont think its as bad as they make it out to be. In terms of his movement it is by far his best quality and I see a bright future for him at our club.

I want to continue seeing this lineup with Pote playing behind Sporar and TT. especially in these home games against these traditionally stubborn things.

As you said next weekend will be a huge test for this club and we can really see where they stand.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Tondela appointed a very dogmatic manager and when they face stronger teams who are much stronger this happens. They also lost 0-4 to Braga. But last season Sporting would probably draw this game. it's going to be a good competition.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
A mix of bad and good performance. Boavista made a fantastic game, and Benfica had little focus without the ball. Boavista made quick transitions using width to counter Benfica zonal pressing and worked like charms all game.

BUt as I said in previsou posts, people are exagerating the impact of expesive hirings in our league. If that was something important, Porto would had won tons of titles when they hired Dieog, Luis Fabiano and other players at those seasons.

In our league the champion usually is the club who wins more points against the smaller teams, because big games are like lottery most of the times. Co Adriaanse won a league without wining a single game vs Sporting and Benfica. Laszlo Boloni did the same at Sporting.