Portuguese Football 2019/20

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I hope Varandas and Keizer go play in traffic.

BUT WAIT!

"Its only pre season"

"Overreacting".

GOODNIGHT!!

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
After the 2nd goal Sporting turned into a pub side.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
After the 2nd goal Sporting turned into a pub side.
After the second goal, Mathieu decided that since he’d offered Benfica a goal he’d start playing for Benfica instead. Then instead of a balanced game of 11 v 11 like it was for most of it, it became 12 v 10. Seriously, rewatch the last 4 goals and focus on what Mathieu is doing for all of them.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
After the second goal, Mathieu decided that since he’d offered Benfica a goal he’d start playing for Benfica instead. Then instead of a balanced game of 11 v 11 like it was for most of it, it became 12 v 10. Seriously, rewatch the last 4 goals and focus on what Mathieu is doing for all of them.
It was painful to watch. Worse than Mustafi.

bijitaq

Supports
S. L. Benfica
Really happy with Rafa, MOTM in my opinion. Pizzi and Florentino were also really good. RDT also looked good, I'm excited to see what he can do going forward. The result was harsh on Sporting, but the win is thoroughly deserved.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I know most of you would be here bantering if you get a result like this (I know you, bastards :D), but last night's game was positive from Benfica, but I think the key of this game was Sporting players loosing emotional control and started making stupid decisions, which made it easy for us to get a result.

In the end of the day, it's "just" the Supercup, mainly a trophy to moralize the team for the incoming season then a valuable title itself.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
So, the league is starting and I think it will be interesting to make some squads overall analysis to the Primeira Liga teams. Should we (or just I :D ) do it alphabetically or by last year standings + the new 3 promoted teams as last?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

• Club Name: Clube Desportivo das Aves
  • Titles: 1x Portuguese Cup winner 2017/18
  • Objectives: Avoid relegation
  • Manager: Augusto Inácio
  • Formation(s): 4x3x3 / 4x4x2
  • Stadium: Stadium of Desportivo das Aves (105 x 68 m)
  • Official capacity: 5 441

Desportivo das Aves is managing to keep themselves in the Primeira Liga on the limit. They are always in need for points until the last matchday every season.
This year they lost a good number of key players, a regular thing in bottom teams, and they have a lot of new players.
They lost their RB to PAOK, Ponck left for Turkish league and Mama Baldé, who was their main attacking threat last season, left for Dijon (was loaned by Sporting).

On the incoming transfers:
Peu and Welington Júniro are looking to be good business on this pre-season. They have showing themselves well, but bare in mind that brazilian players are in mid-season, so physically they are a step better.

A curious fact: Zidane's son joined this club this season, so i think this could be an interesting club to follow due to it.

They had also hired Iranian player Mehrdad Mohammadi, which is a player with good reputation back at Iranian league. I'm curious to see how this player will develop.

Dzwigala seems to be a solid center back: he's having a very solid career back at polish league, so I guess he has come good chances of keep developing.

But their marquee signing was Kahraba, Egypt's international forward who has very good number of goals and assists on his career at Egyptian league, and he has 25 caps for his NT.

They had made some interesting market moves, but overall their team is very unbalanced and I think they will struggle like every season. If you add the fact that their pre-season performances have been overall mediocre, things might not seem sunny at Vila das Aves.

Last edited:

bijitaq

Supports
S. L. Benfica
@André Dominguez

Nice write up. Short and informative. Keep them coming. When you analize Benfica don't forget to please include RDT's nutmeg on the supercup. :cool:

I would do it myself but I don't have the posting privilege yet.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
@André Dominguez

Nice write up. Short and informative. Keep them coming. When you analize Benfica don't forget to please include RDT's nutmeg on the supercup. :cool:

I would do it myself but I don't have the posting privilege yet.
:D That was pure evil. RdT is showing a very good ball control. He's going to be a nightmare for defenders.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Club Name: Belenenses SAD
Objectives: Confortable season (midtable)
Manager: Jorge Silas
Formation(s): 3x4x3 / 4x3x3
Stadium: National Stadium of Jamor (105 x 68 m)
Official capacity: 37 593

The history of this new version of Belenenses is another cluster f*ck of the portuguese league history, that could be a Guy Ritchie movie inspiration. Long story short: Belenenses "real" club were having some financial troubles and were not able to nominate a new board.
A shady group of agents basically bought the club's Anonymous Sports Society part, which owns the Primeira Liga federative rights. This caused a split between sides, and this version of Belenenses is not the real one :D

Regarding Belenenses, they are pretty much one of the most exciting sides to watch. Jorge Silas is considered one of the most upcoming portuguese managers of the moment, and he organizes his team with good defensive principles and good quality football.

Due to their owners, they got a lot of players from Lille (not shady at all :D ). They had lost some important players, like Diogo Viana who left the club at contract end, Vicent Sasso who I actually rated as a good defender for midtable teams, Muriel who did a very solid season as their goalie and Eduardo Henrique who was one of the best midfielder from last season's league joined Sporting.

During this pre-season, some new incomers ahd showed some potential. Imad Faraj made some interesting games (bare in mind that he actually is a player that is decently rated at Franc youth teams), and Dieguinho was hired to replace Diogo Viana, but I must admit he doesn't look as good as their former player.
But overal, their transfer activity is quite poor tbh, since most of the players they got are not even at the bench! I think they are a few steps down in terms of quality comparing to last season. They have the advantadge of keeping the same techical staff, but from the 6th place to bottom things are very volatile.

SportingCP96

Supports

Club Name: Belenenses SAD
Objectives: Confortable season (midtable)
Manager: Jorge Silas
Formation(s): 3x4x3 / 4x3x3
Stadium: National Stadium of Jamor (105 x 68 m)
Official capacity: 37 593

The history of this new version of Belenenses is another cluster f*ck of the portuguese league history, that could be a Guy Ritchie movie inspiration. Long story short: Belenenses "real" club were having some financial troubles and were not able to nominate a new board.
A shady group of agents basically bought the club's Anonymous Sports Society part, which owns the Primeira Liga federative rights. This caused a split between sides, and this version of Belenenses is not the real one :D

Regarding Belenenses, they are pretty much one of the most exciting sides to watch. Jorge Silas is considered one of the most upcoming portuguese managers of the moment, and he organizes his team with good defensive principles and good quality football.

Due to their owners, they got a lot of players from Lille (not shady at all :D ). They had lost some important players, like Diogo Viana who left the club at contract end, Vicent Sasso who I actually rated as a good defender for midtable teams, Muriel who did a very solid season as their goalie and Eduardo Henrique who was one of the best midfielder from last season's league joined Sporting.

During this pre-season, some new incomers ahd showed some potential. Imad Faraj made some interesting games (bare in mind that he actually is a player that is decently rated at Franc youth teams), and Dieguinho was hired to replace Diogo Viana, but I must admit he doesn't look as good as their former player.
But overal, their transfer activity is quite poor tbh, since most of the players they got are not even at the bench! I think they are a few steps down in terms of quality comparing to last season. They have the advantadge of keeping the same techical staff, but from the 6th place to bottom things are very volatile.
DO VSC!

I personally consider them to have the 4th best fans in the league. They have a fan base fit for a big club unlike Braga...

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Club Name: Vitória Sport Club
Titles: 1x Portuguese Cup, 1x Portuguese Supercup
Location: Guimarães (one of the most beatiful old quarters to visit in Portugal)
Objectives: Europa League qualification
Manager: Ivo Vieira
Formation(s): 4x2x3x1 / 4x3x3
Stadium: D. Afonso Henriques Stadium (105 x 68 m)
Official capacity: 30 000

Guimarães is a club that has a very strong local support, and a wild fanbase. This is one of the few cities where you're not allowed to be a big three fan, unlike almost all cities in Portugal where the local support their local club + one of the big three clubs.
They have a good tradition in forming and/or finding very competitive players who made excellent careers at our league. From the top of my head I can point Pedro Mendes, Zlatko Zahovic and Pedro Barbosa, which were some of the best players at our league during their career.

Starting with their managerial appointment: what an excellent choice. Ivo Vieira made a fantastic work at Moreirense, almost leading them to Europa League qualification twice.
And trust me, this is a major feature, since Moreirense squad is very poor. I'm pretty sure they will return to be relegation battlers again this season.
He even rotated the team a bit for the League Cup qualification this season, so he's proving to also be a good effort manager.

Ivo Vieira is another upcoming manager, but a different style. his approach is more cautious and he managed to make a fragile team like Moreirense look like a proper defensive side.

Their transfer activity has been smooth and relatively quiet: they didn't loose any major player, got rid of some loaned out players, and the starters they eventually lost were loaned by other clubs, so no harm was really done.
They promoted some young players that are doing some good performances at this pre-season / Europa League qualifiers. Their main focus was to keep the core players and they succeeded to do that. It was a good decision since their team had potential.

They hired Pêpê form Benfica B, who IMHO was good business. He has potential and has a very solid path in Portugal youth NT's. He has been playing very well in this pre-season.
Edmond Tapsoba was promoted to the main team and he has been delivering some good games. This 20 y.o. Burkina Faso international center back might be the next thing comming. But there's a problem: Guimarães made a loan deal with Shakthar: Valerii Bondarenko, and he is a solid defender and only left the club because he wanted to play(he was a sub). He will probably be ahead of Tapsoba in the choice order, but I think with time things might turn.
Another promoted player that has been showing some good glimpses is Al Musrati: the libian international player seems to be ready for Primeira Liga football, either at Guimarães or somewhere else.
Another promoted player to follow this season: U19 international André Almeida: the potential is there, how far can he go?

So far, their pre-season has been encouraging: good performances, the youth players are stepping up in the games, the team is defending well (0 goals suffered in three official matches) and Europa League qualification was confortable. I know Luxembourg teams are far from being goood, but they are more advanced in their pre-season and that's why there are always surprises every seasons in european competitions.
Things are looking sharp for them. Can they keep their positive aura into the season?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is Yordan Osorio going to be regular at Porto this season? Had a good year at Guimaraes and was also very impressed by how well he played against Brazil in Copa America.

Can see him being next Porto defender to go for big money.

bijitaq

Supports
S. L. Benfica
Is Yordan Osorio going to be regular at Porto this season? Had a good year at Guimaraes and was also very impressed by how well he played against Brazil in Copa America.

Can see him being next Porto defender to go for big money.
Pepe and Marcano should be the starting CB duo for Porto. Diogo Leite is a CB that was home developed and Porto has high expectations for him. I can't see Osorio getting that much playing time but let's wait and see the season is long.

SportingCP96

Supports

Club Name: Vitória Sport Club
Titles: 1x Portuguese Cup, 1x Portuguese Supercup
Location: Guimarães (one of the most beatiful old quarters to visit in Portugal)
Objectives: Europa League qualification
Manager: Ivo Vieira
Formation(s): 4x2x3x1 / 4x3x3
Stadium: D. Afonso Henriques Stadium (105 x 68 m)
Official capacity: 30 000

Guimarães is a club that has a very strong local support, and a wild fanbase. This is one of the few cities where you're not allowed to be a big three fan, unlike almost all cities in Portugal where the local support their local club + one of the big three clubs.
They have a good tradition in forming and/or finding very competitive players who made excellent careers at our league. From the top of my head I can point Pedro Mendes, Zlatko Zahovic and Pedro Barbosa, which were some of the best players at our league during their career.

Starting with their managerial appointment: what an excellent choice. Ivo Vieira made a fantastic work at Moreirense, almost leading them to Europa League qualification twice.
And trust me, this is a major feature, since Moreirense squad is very poor. I'm pretty sure they will return to be relegation battlers again this season.
He even rotated the team a bit for the League Cup qualification this season, so he's proving to also be a good effort manager.

Ivo Vieira is another upcoming manager, but a different style. his approach is more cautious and he managed to make a fragile team like Moreirense look like a proper defensive side.

Their transfer activity has been smooth and relatively quiet: they didn't loose any major player, got rid of some loaned out players, and the starters they eventually lost were loaned by other clubs, so no harm was really done.
They promoted some young players that are doing some good performances at this pre-season / Europa League qualifiers. Their main focus was to keep the core players and they succeeded to do that. It was a good decision since their team had potential.

They hired Pêpê form Benfica B, who IMHO was good business. He has potential and has a very solid path in Portugal youth NT's. He has been playing very well in this pre-season.
Edmond Tapsoba was promoted to the main team and he has been delivering some good games. This 20 y.o. Burkina Faso international center back might be the next thing comming. But there's a problem: Guimarães made a loan deal with Shakthar: Valerii Bondarenko, and he is a solid defender and only left the club because he wanted to play(he was a sub). He will probably be ahead of Tapsoba in the choice order, but I think with time things might turn.
Another promoted player that has been showing some good glimpses is Al Musrati: the libian international player seems to be ready for Primeira Liga football, either at Guimarães or somewhere else.
Another promoted player to follow this season: U19 international André Almeida: the potential is there, how far can he go?

So far, their pre-season has been encouraging: good performances, the youth players are stepping up in the games, the team is defending well (0 goals suffered in three official matches) and Europa League qualification was confortable. I know Luxembourg teams are far from being goood, but they are more advanced in their pre-season and that's why there are always surprises every seasons in european competitions.
Things are looking sharp for them. Can they keep their positive aura into the season?
They are a great club and have potential grow a lot as a club as they have the fan base for it,\. Braga went up a level as a club and now are looked at as a competitor by the big 3 albeit to a lesser extent. Even then the Braga fanbase lets down the club from Really closing the gap. Vitoria if they were to get to Braga level would have that stadium near full.

I remember last season when they beat us 1-0 that stadium was ROCKING! better atmosphere than most.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
They are a great club and have potential grow a lot as a club as they have the fan base for it,\. Braga went up a level as a club and now are looked at as a competitor by the big 3 albeit to a lesser extent. Even then the Braga fanbase lets down the club from Really closing the gap. Vitoria if they were to get to Braga level would have that stadium near full.

I remember last season when they beat us 1-0 that stadium was ROCKING! better atmosphere than most.
Their fans passion was never the problem. Their lack of long term plan by the board is holding them down. They basically revamped the squad when luis Castro took charge, for example.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Hahahah. The Cabovisao Cuttlefish. Only lasted one game. The only thing that has beaten that record was the pink jersey. Only lasted 45 minutes. :lol:
Better than the pink shirt was Lito Vidigal press conference. "Terra de machos!"

Edit: I'm probably wrong about the manager. Might not have been Lito Vidigal on this episode

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Well this year I have to support Porto again and I hope the 50 piece of shit from that claque I can’t remember the name to go to hell and to Bruno Carvalho to go with them as well. I just hope they get a few years in prison and I hope all of them get raped twice a week.... okay now I feel better:keano:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Can’t believe this crap. We’re going to loan Bragança to Estoril, Matheus Pereira to WBA, and we keep Miguel Luis or Dyaby. Ffs.

bijitaq

Supports
S. L. Benfica
Good win yesterday but the overall quality of the game was poor. Samaris was awful and Seferovic despite scoring a goal was also terrible. A special note for Nuno Tavares, I believe he can become a world class LB but the way he has evolved at RB, culminating in last night's game with an amazing goal and two assists really did surprise me, the kid is going places.

SportingCP96

Supports
I don't care if we end up winning my opinion will stay the same. Watching us play gives me cancer. Keizer is a clown.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I don't care if we end up winning my opinion will stay the same. Watching us play gives me cancer. Keizer is a clown.
If Sporting doesn't win the next match Keizer is off. From the available managers, which one would you choose?

SportingCP96

Supports
If Sporting doesn't win the next match Keizer is off. From the available managers, which one would you choose?
Varandas is an incompetent fool, he won't sack Keizer anytime soon.

-Vitor Perreira
-Silas
- MAYBE Vitor Oliveira
-Rui Jorge

NO MORE FOREGIN COACHES! It NEVER works out in Portugal. They are always out of there element and dont know the reality of the league.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Varandas is an incompetent fool, he won't sack Keizer anytime soon.

-Vitor Perreira
-Silas
- MAYBE Vitor Oliveira
-Rui Jorge

NO MORE FOREGIN COACHES! It NEVER works out in Portugal. They are always out of there element and dont know the reality of the league.
There are a good number of exceptions though:

Eriksson, Robson and Carlos Alberto Silva were clearly extremely successive in their management works.

Co Adriaanse implemented good football against the weaker sides, but was always outplayed on big game.
Tomislav Ivic was actually a good defensive coach, but that kind of football sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.
Trapattoni was a lucky bastard winning the league with a relative small sum of points.
Boloni had a very good squad at his disposal and he almost lost that league.

Robson was actually the one who I think impressed me most: great attacking football, great set pieces and if it wasn't for the lack of composure from his forwards against Sampdoria they would had won CWC. Bare in mind that Sampdoria had a very strong squad at the time, with top players like Mancini, Mihajlovic, Lombardo, DAvid Platt, Jugovic, Evani, Gullit, etc

SportingCP96

Supports
There are a good number of exceptions though:

Eriksson, Robson and Carlos Alberto Silva were clearly extremely successive in their management works.

Co Adriaanse implemented good football against the weaker sides, but was always outplayed on big game.
Tomislav Ivic was actually a good defensive coach, but that kind of football sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.
Trapattoni was a lucky bastard winning the league with a relative small sum of points.
Boloni had a very good squad at his disposal and he almost lost that league.

Robson was actually the one who I think impressed me most: great attacking football, great set pieces and if it wasn't for the lack of composure from his forwards against Sampdoria they would had won CWC. Bare in mind that Sampdoria had a very strong squad at the time, with top players like Mancini, Mihajlovic, Lombardo, DAvid Platt, Jugovic, Evani, Gullit, etc
There are exceptions of course but especially in recent history it never seems to work. This is also so frustrating because like it feels like a waste pf a whole pre season when it was obvious last season that he has not got a clue about coaching.

I will be at the game this Sunday and I will be curious about what the fans reaction will be if we get anything less than a win.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
There are exceptions of course but especially in recent history it never seems to work. This is also so frustrating because like it feels like a waste pf a whole pre season when it was obvious last season that he has not got a clue about coaching.

I will be at the game this Sunday and I will be curious about what the fans reaction will be if we get anything less than a win.
I don't think Varandas will hold him if he doesn't win. If only the pre-season had went well with some good performances, fans would still had hope, because loosing by 5 is a rare happening but is nothing impossible (one just need to check the Champions League semi-finals of the last coupe of seasons), and drawing at Marítimo's home is not a strange result, since they are traditionally very hard to beat at home.

The major problem is that the team seems to be somewhat disorganized, and the build-up is so sterile that Sporting struggles to create clear cut chances.

SportingCP96

Supports
I don't think Varandas will hold him if he doesn't win. If only the pre-season had went well with some good performances, fans would still had hope, because loosing by 5 is a rare happening but is nothing impossible (one just need to check the Champions League semi-finals of the last coupe of seasons), and drawing at Marítimo's home is not a strange result, since they are traditionally very hard to beat at home.

The major problem is that the team seems to be somewhat disorganized, and the build-up is so sterile that Sporting struggles to create clear cut chances.
Its not just the results like you said but rather this team has no dynamic going forward they have no idea how to get the ball up the field and create chances at all. Added to that Keizer has been at the helm for over 9 months and he has only managed a clean sheet in a little over a handful of games. That is absolutely pathetic. Then every post match its the same thing all the time. He has no option B in terms of tactics and without Bruno this team has no clue how to score.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Club Name: Vitória Futebol Clube
Titles: 3x Portuguese Cup, 1x League Cup
Location: Setúbal (that city people use to get the ferry to Tróia or to eat fried cuttlefish :P )
Objectives: Lower Midtable
Manager: Sandro Mendes
Formation(s): 4x3x1x2 / 4x4x2 / May use 4x3x3 in some matches
Stadium: Bonfim Stadium
Official capacity: 15 497

Will this finally be a calm season or will they be at relegation battle again?

Despite what Bruno Marques keeps saying about Vasco Fernandes, he's still at starting 11 and wearing the armband.

I have to point their manager: former player Sandro Mendes caught the club in a very delicate situation and managed to cut it clear and stay at Primeira Liga.

He mainly used a formation that looked out of fashion: the 4x3x1x2. It is a narrow formation, but it also gives a good presence in the middle of the pitch. Despite all the midfielders, Sandro Mendes system relies more on counter attacks or quick transitions rather than using the midfielder to make a build up. He also likes to make good use of set pieces as a main provider of opportunities.

They lost a couple of good players: Cádiz went to Benfica and Ruben Micael returned to his home back at Nacional, but overall the squad remains similar.

They had made a very interesting hiring: Khalid Hachadi. This young Morocco international player might be their starlet this season. His goal record at Morocco is pretty good. He's not particularly fast, but he has a decent to good ball control, tall, strong and he can be an headache inside the box. His cards record is not a good indicator, though.

Setúbal also managed to get Brian Mansilla on loan. This player was once pointed as a potential striker back at Argentina, but he seems to have stagnated. Let's see if he can ressurect his career by eating cuddlefish.
However, that loan might block their youth player Leonardo Chão to have chances on the main team.

They brought Carlinhos back to Portugal, a player who had been previously here at Estoril. He just did half-season at Primeira Liga, but he looked like a decent player before signing for Standard Liege.

Their pre-season looked positive, without any shocking performances. They look defensively solid. From the highlights I saw, the team did well in most of the games, doing some nice attacks.

Let the bash begins, @Bruno Marques :D

Token Sheet

"No 6 bus to Old Trafford 6p, Admission to re
Great work @André Dominguez but I'm still waiting for my team, especially your views on our summer activity of Gomes X2, Enriquez, Castilho, Rocha, Moreno, Perreira and Freitas.

Pre season and first game, we look solid defensively but just not scoring which is a worry.

Maybe we can loan back our Nakajima from Porto. :D

"We are Algarve, We are Portimao, We are Portimonense"