Portuguese Football 2019/20

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
(As said in the 2018/19 thread, I would gently ask for a mod to close that thread if possible. Many thanks)

Calendars for the portuguese Primeira Liga are out since 5th July. The league starts at August 11 and the opening matchday is the following one:

Boavista - Aves
Portimonense - Belenenses
Rio Ave - Guimarães
Benfica - Paços de Ferreira
Santa Clara - Famalicão
Braga - Moreirense
Marítimo - Sporting
Setúbal - Tondela
Gil Vicente - Porto

Challenging league start for Sporting, starting at Marítimo's home, who is always a tough team to beat, then receiving Braga at matchday 2.

Big matches calendar (dates may differ due to TV broadcast reschedules):
(day/month)
18/08 Sporting - Braga
25/08 Benfica - Porto
01/09 Braga - Benfica
01/09 Porto - Guimarães
27/10 Sporting - Guimarães
10/11 Guimarães Braga
05/01 Guimarães - Benfica
05/01 Sporting - Porto
18/01 Sporting - Benfica
18/01 Porto - Braga
02/02 Braga - Sporting
09/02 Porto - Benfica
15/02 Guimarães - Porto
15/02 Benfica - Braga
15/03 Guimarães - Sporting
11/04 Braga - Guimarães
03/05 Benfica - Guimarães
03/05 Porto - Sporting
17/05 Braga - Porto
17/05 Benfica - Sporting

Promoted teams:

Famalicão:
They increased their budget to attack the promotion and they did it. Not the largest budget of Segunda Liga, but their fighting spirit made sure they keep gathering points.
Assembled a mix of young talent and experienced players team, let's see how many of them will stay at Famalicão at season starts.

Paços de Ferreira:
Very organized structure. Despite loosing their best player at December to Sporting, they manage to keep their performances up there.

Gil Vicente:
A master class in how to make wrong decisions, Gil Vicente returns to Primeira Liga by court decision after being wrongly demoted a few seasons ago!
We can't really predict their performances because they are building a team from scratch!

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
Ohh Portuguese football, the place where teams that can't win in the field try to win in the secretary.

I think it's already the 4th time my club in involved in something like that

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Ohh Portuguese football, the place where teams that can't win in the field try to win in the secretary.

I think it's already the 4th time my club in involved in something like that
Belenenses and Setúbal are quite regular customers involving this kind of stuff :lol:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Some interesting transfers so far.

Benfica hired Raul de Tomás to Real Madrid. I'm actually quite curious about him, since I think he can step up in our league

Porto hired Nakajima, who is a brilliant dribler, and Zé Luis who was the starting striker of Spartak Moscow. High stakes on these transfers.

Sporting is beting on youth, hiring U21 France international Valentin Rosier, and Rafael Camacho from Liverpool. Vietto is trying to renew his career at Sporting. He's clearly a talented player who lost his track.

Braga brought André Horta back, but overall it has been a disappointing transfer activity for them.

Guimarães hired young powerful striker Aziz. Let's see if he can keep continuing to develop.

Setúbal hired Hachadi, a U20 Morocco international. He seems a player with some raw potential. Quite a powerful striker himself.

Morerirense hired Steve Vitória. Decent center back for small teams.

Aves hired Mehrdad Mohammadi, a player with some reputation on his local league (Iran). They also hired Adam Dzwigala, a polish player who has a decent career so far, who might be a solid option for them.

There are a lot of other transfers, but I just highlighted some.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Porto signing Nakajima is brilliant. Really glad he didn't waste his prime years in the Qatar league. Been a fan of his since I saw him in the Olympics so I'm expecting good things from him this upcoming season.

Benfica have signed Chiquinho, too. I've heard a lot about him but haven't been able to see him in action as, being an Englishman, it's pretty much impossible to find Moreirense games. I watch a bit of Benfica so I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Porto signing Nakajima is brilliant. Really glad he didn't waste his prime years in the Qatar league. Been a fan of his since I saw him in the Olympics so I'm expecting good things from him this upcoming season.

Benfica have signed Chiquinho, too. I've heard a lot about him but haven't been able to see him in action as, being an Englishman, it's pretty much impossible to find Moreirense games. I watch a bit of Benfica so I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

Benfica had a buy-back clause on Chiquinho, something who seems to become a new fashion nowadays. He's a player who likes to hold the ball and doesn't fear to go on 1-on-1 situations, due to his good dribling. Let's see if he can step up back at the club.

His market value sky rocketed and that's the main reason Benfica actioned the buy-back option.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Benfica had a buy-back clause on Chiquinho, something who seems to become a new fashion nowadays. He's a player who likes to hold the ball and doesn't fear to go on 1-on-1 situations, due to his good dribling. Let's see if he can step up back at the club.

His market value sky rocketed and that's the main reason Benfica actioned the buy-back option.
I didn't know that he used to be at Benfica. I can see why they brought him back, though! His stats are very good and, as you say, he seems to be a good dribbler who can retain the ball under pressure.

9 goals & 7 assists suggests he's kinda an all rounder 10 like a Rooney/Cantona. Someone who will drop deep to help the build up and to create chances, but also loves to get forward on the end of chances, too.

It will be interesting to see where he plays for Benfica.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I didn't know that he used to be at Benfica. I can see why they brought him back, though! His stats are very good and, as you say, he seems to be a good dribbler who can retain the ball under pressure.

9 goals & 7 assists suggests he's kinda an all rounder 10 like a Rooney/Cantona. Someone who will drop deep to help the build up and to create chances, but also loves to get forward on the end of chances, too.

It will be interesting to see where he plays for Benfica.
About Nakajima, I think he will suceed at Porto. Porto problem in the last 2 seasons is that they lacked creativity. Brahimi is a highly skilled player, but he's quite limited in his vision. Nakajima can be the key for those points Porto lost last season where the team lacked for someone more creative.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
New season here we go!

Not only is It a tough start to the season for Sporting but an even harder ending. Our 2 of our last 3 games are away to Porto and Benfica (We probably wont be in the title race by then anyways). A lot of the season will depend on how we start these first 5 games if we can 12 to 13 points out of the first 5 then we kick off right and have the confidence and easier games in retrospect lined up along with hosting both Benfica and Porto in the first half of the season.

Sporting have made in my opinion some good signings to start. Valentin Rosier was a good right back in Ligue 1 and can be a good player for us, Luis Neto is an experienced center back who was a solid player and starter in Zenit in over 200 games, Rafael Camacho is a former youth product of ours who we bought back from Liverpool good potential lets see how it co relates in to the first team, Eduardo Henrique is a really talented player he was the best player for Belenenses and one of the best player outside of the big 3 so I am excited to see how he does, Lastly Luciano Vietto now this one is a tricky one...He is still only 25 so still has time to turn it around but in my opinion if we get the Luciano Vietto from Villarreal then we have a great signing especially for our league..If we get the Vietto from the last few years...then that is where this becomes a bad signing.

Another potential big addition to the team is Matheus Pereira who last year was loaned out in the Bundesliga and was in the running for young player of the season. Arguably our most talented winger a player with the ability to solve a game on his own I hope this is finally the year where he becomes an undisputed starter for our team.

Notable youth players who might get first team minutes:
Gonzalo Plata- 18 year oldEcuador youth international who had a fantastic U20 WC I hope to see him break into the team
Joelson Fernandes- 16 year old Winger who has been training with the first team and called up for our Summer Tour
Eduardo Quaresma- 17 year old centerback with good potential who has been training with the first team
Daniel Braganca- 20 year old tidy midfielder who I hope impresses in pre season
Nuno Mendes- 17 year old talented left back who also has been training with the first team during pre season

Transfer Situation:
Bruno Fernandes is still at Sporting and if he stays is almost like a new signing him staying or leaving has a major impact in our success next season
Coates looks like he will stay but still a chance he can leave
Marcos Acuna and Bas Dsot both look the most likely to be sold and I hope so as well as we need the money and they are expendable.

2019/20 Predicition:
(Top 5 only)

1. Benfica
2.Porto
3.Sporting
4.Braga
5.Vitoria SC

Relegation:
18.Santa Clara
19.Famalicao
20. Gil Vicente

Notes and opinions:

Benfica will have the strongest squad in the league and I expect them to still ass quality during the transfer market, Porto have lost A LOT of key players in Herrera, Brahimi, Felipe, and potentially Telles and Marega. They have added Nakajima which is a quality player but that really it, Ze Luis is an ok striker but he is 28 and Never had a 20+ goal season and he cost them 8.5M (Absurd) then again Marega scores 20 goals in this league so ya if Sporting were good I would say they might have a chance at second place but I don't believe it. Braga have signed former Sporting coach and legend Ricardo Sa Pinto as their head coach so will be interesting to see how they perform. They have kept the core of their team and even added Eduardo for experience and leadership as well as Andre Horta who is talented for their standards. They lost their talisman in Dyego Sousa but I still think they will add new players to the squad before the end of the window.

@SCP @Peyroteo @André Dominguez @Bruno Marques and who ever else I missed:nervous: Looking forward to another new season and hopefully another good thread filled with debates and meltdowns!:lol:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
New season here we go!

Transfer Situation:
Bruno Fernandes is still at Sporting and if he stays is almost like a new signing him staying or leaving has a major impact in our success next season
Marcos Acuna and Bas Dsot both look the most likely to be sold and I hope so as well as we need the money and they are expendable.

2019/20 Predicition:
(Top 5 only)

1. Benfica
2.Porto
3.Sporting
4.Braga
5.Vitoria SC

Relegation:
18.Santa Clara
19.Famalicao
20. Gil Vicente

Notes and opinions:

Benfica will have the strongest squad in the league and I expect them to still ass quality during the transfer market, Porto have lost A LOT of key players in Herrera, Brahimi, Felipe, and potentially Telles and Marega. They have added Nakajima which is a quality player but that really it, Ze Luis is an ok striker but he is 28 and Never had a 20+ goal season and he cost them 8.5M (Absurd) then again Marega scores 20 goals in this league so ya if Sporting were good I would say they might have a chance at second place but I don't believe it. Braga have signed former Sporting coach and legend Ricardo Sa Pinto as their head coach so will be interesting to see how they perform. They have kept the core of their team and even added Eduardo for experience and leadership as well as Andre Horta who is talented for their standards. They lost their talisman in Dyego Sousa but I still think they will add new players to the squad before the end of the window.

@SCP @Peyroteo @André Dominguez @Bruno Marques and who ever else I missed:nervous: Looking forward to another new season and hopefully another good thread filled with debates and meltdowns!:lol:
Despite Benfica having a stronger squad, there are question marks. Will Bruno Lage prepare the team in proper conditions in his first pre-season on a top team?
How will the players react to his leadership on the long run? How will the team react to loosing Felix, who was basically a great ace on the sleeve last season?

I think Porto is actually starting bellow Sporting, mainly due to the lack of team chemistry. They lost a lot of starting 11 players, and it's going to be tough for them to prepare the team to be at 100% of their potential with just one pre-season.

On other hand, Sporting is a bit more stable. I have to disagree about Acuña with you: yeah, he's not a world beater and he's a red card waiting to happen, but he's one of the most reliable field players of your squad.

Braga loosing Dyego Sousa will be critical IMHO. He was an excellent player (surprised he didn't got offers from EPL clubs, tbh) and they won't find a replacement anytime soon

SportingCP96

Supports
Despite Benfica having a stronger squad, there are question marks. Will Bruno Lage prepare the team in proper conditions in his first pre-season on a top team?
How will the players react to his leadership on the long run? How will the team react to loosing Felix, who was basically a great ace on the sleeve last season?

I think Porto is actually starting bellow Sporting, mainly due to the lack of team chemistry. They lost a lot of starting 11 players, and it's going to be tough for them to prepare the team to be at 100% of their potential with just one pre-season.

On other hand, Sporting is a bit more stable. I have to disagree about Acuña with you: yeah, he's not a world beater and he's a red card waiting to happen, but he's one of the most reliable field players of your squad.

Braga loosing Dyego Sousa will be critical IMHO. He was an excellent player (surprised he didn't got offers from EPL clubs, tbh) and they won't find a replacement anytime soon
Oh no let me explain. I like Acuna he is a good player to have, me wanting Sporting to sell him is simply because him and Bas Dost being sold along with other dead wood would allow us to potentially keep Bruno Fernandes who is much more worth it.

Also though I do agree on the point you made about Porto....When is Sporting ever stable:D:lol: plus in the end of the day us finishing above them even after losing so many players would be surprising considering we never do.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
New season here we go!

Another potential big addition to the team is Matheus Pereira who last year was loaned out in the Bundesliga and was in the running for young player of the season. Arguably our most talented winger a player with the ability to solve a game on his own I hope this is finally the year where he becomes an undisputed starter for our team.

Notable youth players who might get first team minutes:
Gonzalo Plata- 18 year oldEcuador youth international who had a fantastic U20 WC I hope to see him break into the team
Joelson Fernandes- 16 year old Winger who has been training with the first team and called up for our Summer Tour
Eduardo Quaresma- 17 year old centerback with good potential who has been training with the first team
Daniel Braganca- 20 year old tidy midfielder who I hope impresses in pre season
Nuno Mendes- 17 year old talented left back who also has been training with the first team during pre season

Transfer Situation:

2019/20 Predicition:
(Top 5 only)

1. Benfica
2.Porto
3.Sporting
4.Braga
5.Vitoria SC

Relegation:
18.Santa Clara
19.Famalicao
20. Gil Vicente

Notes and opinions:

Got to say I really liked what I saw from Gonzalo Plata in U20s.

Has Raphinha been getting any offers? He looked good for the little I watched of him.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@SportingCP96 No problem. ;)

I have to say I am not very interested regarding the league, will only check our games if we add interesting younger players, better wait until the end of August.

As things are I rather would like to keep Bruno Fernandes than selling him, I doubt we can sell him for a high fee, but not selling without Champions League revenues is also a problem.

Doubtful any of Joelson, Quaresma or Mendes will compete in the main squad this season, at best Bragança or Matheus, maybe Plata.

Wait and see for now.

SportingCP96

Supports
Got to say I really liked what I saw from Gonzalo Plata in U20s.

Has Raphinha been getting any offers? He looked good for the little I watched of him.
Raphinha is talented but still rather inconsistent I hope he can do that this season but personally I would prefer seeing Matheus Pereira starting.

Also I agree I like Plata a lot and hope he gets a chance but we have a decent amount of options out wide all young and all with something to prove.

SportingCP96

Supports
Jesus Christ this Abola newspaper headline :lol::lol::lol::lol: Get on your knees some more why don't you:lol:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
For the first time I won't have sporttv this year, I have completely lost interest in the league. Last night in one of the footie shows they were showing club's investments in transfers and it was like above 30 million for the big 3, around 15 for Braga and then everyone else below 1 million (not talking about wages where the gap is even bigger). It's beyond farce now. I'll consider pay again when the tv rights become centralized.

I'll go to a bar to watch briosa when they're on the telly, I'll keep watching Cova da Piedade's home matches and I'll try and be more involved in youth leagues and regional leagues.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Raphinha is talented but still rather inconsistent I hope he can do that this season but personally I would prefer seeing Matheus Pereira starting.

Also I agree I like Plata a lot and hope he gets a chance but we have a decent amount of options out wide all young and all with something to prove.
Yes, long are the days Sporting can buy proven players in South America like Jardel.

For example Wendel had a bunch of discipline problems in Fluminense like miss training and drunk training.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yes, long are the days Sporting can buy proven players in South America like Jardel.

For example Wendel had a bunch of discipline problems in Fluminense like miss training and drunk training.
It was Porto who signed Jardel from Grêmio. You’re right this days it’s almost impossible to sign top players in Brasil to play here, last season I always said Militao went for Porto only with the promise he would be there on a temporary basis to show him to the top leagues in Europe. Even Shaktar has the ability to bring better Brazilian players. Not a big fan of Wendel tbh.

SportingCP96

Supports
It was Porto who signed Jardel from Grêmio. You’re right this days it’s almost impossible to sign top players in Brasil to play here, last season I always said Militao went for Porto only with the promise he would be there on a temporary basis to show him to the top leagues in Europe. Even Shaktar has the ability to bring better Brazilian players. Not a big fan of Wendel tbh.
He is so hyped on the sporting forum but I am yet to see anything to warrant the massive hype he gets. I think because he was a BDC signing.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
For the first time I won't have sporttv this year, I have completely lost interest in the league. Last night in one of the footie shows they were showing club's investments in transfers and it was like above 30 million for the big 3, around 15 for Braga and then everyone else below 1 million (not talking about wages where the gap is even bigger). It's beyond farce now. I'll consider pay again when the tv rights become centralized.

I'll go to a bar to watch briosa when they're on the telly, I'll keep watching Cova da Piedade's home matches and I'll try and be more involved in youth leagues and regional leagues.
Briooooooooooooooooooooooooosa!

Our sweet club has tremendous potential to grow, but it shows how poorly organized the city (and politics) are in Coimbra. Coimbra had the potential to be a top tourist attraction and a great industrial center, but poor management made the big industry leave the district and the lack of investment in national heritage made all the unique monuments become decadent.
The university patrimony is in a good shape simply because it has autonomous management from local authorities, otherwise it would be f*cked also.
[/rant]

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He is so hyped on the sporting forum but I am yet to see anything to warrant the massive hype he gets. I think because he was a BDC signing.
The agenda on that forum is becoming sickening to read. Every player signed by BDC is a massive player, every player signed by Varandas is awful. So far for me Wendel is only a normal player with a questionable professional behaviour.

SportingCP96

Supports
Klopp was right. If Rafa Camacho wants to have any future in football he should be a right back. As a winger he offers nothing.

He reminds me of Ricardo Pereira. If he was smart like him he would play right back and he might turn into a good player there. As a winger I don't think so.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Klopp was right. If Rafa Camacho wants to have any future in football he should be a right back. As a winger he offers nothing.

He reminds me of Ricardo Pereira. If he was smart like him he would play right back and he might turn into a good player there. As a winger I don't think so.
Jesus Christ he played 45 minutes of a preseason match against a team on a advanced preparation stage. He is 19 years old, you can’t take conclusions like that at this stage, this age, and fundamentally Liverpool is not Sporting. He wasn’t hired to be a immediate starter. Much worse for me is watching the useless Miguel Luis receiving minutes while Bragança hasn’t played a single fecking minute.

Oh and by the way in 30 minutes Max made more saves than Renan. Everytime I watch Renan I don’t remember him making any sort of save, let’s wait for the rest of the preseason.

And take a rest if we get spanked by Liverpool during the preseason, it’s quite plausible. Gosh Ilori is so fecking crap, unbelievable. Camacho isn’t our biggest problem, far from it.

SportingCP96

Supports
Jesus Christ he played 45 minutes of a preseason match against a team on a advanced preparation stage. He is 19 years old, you can’t take conclusions like that at this stage, this age, and fundamentally Liverpool is not Sporting. He wasn’t hired to be a immediate starter. Much worse for me is watching the useless Miguel Luis receiving minutes while Bragança hasn’t played a single fecking minute.

Oh and by the way in 30 minutes Max made more saves than Renan. Everytime I watch Renan I don’t remember him making any sort of save, let’s wait for the rest of the preseason.

And take a rest if we get spanked by Liverpool during the preseason, it’s quite plausible. Gosh Ilori is so fecking crap, unbelievable. Camacho isn’t our biggest problem, far from it.
I never said he is our biggest problem but his technical ability is not good enough for a winger. He is not fast. He can’t beat a man 1 V 1. Like I said one of the best coaches in the world said he is a right back not a winger and I 100% see why.

As for Max I agree 100% sooooo much better then Renan. He reminds me a lot of Rui.

Call me crazy but... if Acuna leaves Nuno Mendes deserves to start at this point. Over the course of 2 games he has been fantastic and he’s only 17! You guys should know my opinion by now. If you are good enough you are old enough.

Also shoutout to Quaresma who has a lot of talent but he will have to wait to get his chance to be a starter because we have 3 great center backs.

Ilori would not make my college team.

Wendel scores a great goal but was bang average again besides that.

Also is Keizer mental? Why on earth would you play Vietto on the wing. It leaves the left back alone because he cuts in a lot and Vietto is not a winger never was. Matheus at 10!? Why? No sense at all.

I can see Keizer getting the sack early but we will see.

Braganca is going to be the new Gauld. Miguel Luis is not good enough even for the Sub 23

Wingers: Matheus and raphinha starters and Plata needs to be the one next in line. If Camacho grows up and is open to trying a different position then maybe he will have a future at this club if not he won’t make it here the other 3 are much better.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I never said he is our biggest problem but his technical ability is not good enough for a winger. He is not fast. He can’t beat a man 1 V 1. Like I said one of the best coaches in the world said he is a right back not a winger and I 100% see why.

As for Max I agree 100% sooooo much better then Renan. He reminds me a lot of Rui.

Call me crazy but... if Acuna leaves Nuno Mendes deserves to start at this point. Over the course of 2 games he has been fantastic and he’s only 17! You guys should know my opinion by now. If you are good enough you are old enough.

Also shoutout to Quaresma who has a lot of talent but he will have to wait to get his chance to be a starter because we have 3 great center backs.

Ilori would not make my college team.

Wendel scores a great goal but was bang average again besides that.

Also is Keizer mental? Why on earth would you play Vietto on the wing. It leaves the left back alone because he cuts in a lot and Vietto is not a winger never was. Matheus at 10!? Why? No sense at all.

I can see Keizer getting the sack early but we will see.

Braganca is going to be the new Gauld. Miguel Luis is not good enough even for the Sub 23

Wingers: Matheus and raphinha starters and Plata needs to be the one next in line. If Camacho grows up and is open to trying a different position then maybe he will have a future at this club if not he won’t make it here the other 3 are much better.
And I thought I was crazy :houllier:.

Did you forget we still have Borja for left back? Those guys Mendes, Quaresma and maybe Joelson they are doing the preseason and they will train sometimes with the main team but it’s probable they will compete between the under 19’s or 23’s. Plata will stay as Camacho, starting to feel Keizer is trying to see if he can fit Matheus Pereira as a alternative to BF instead as a winger.

Starting to fear Bragança won’t stay, instead we will stay with Miguel Luis who is nothing special, probably Jovane will leave too.

Honestly for me Max has more long term potential than Renan, it’s incredible the number of times I watch him he barely saves a shot. Ilori is useless, even worse than when he was 20. Why the hell they didn’t called Domingo’s Duarte? He had a decent season at Depor.

Returning Acuna, Borja and Coates we will have a couple of more options, big if is without Champions League how will we be able to keep BF? And if he is sold by less than 50 million I can see turmoil at the club.

Honestly as things are now we still have a considerable gap to Benfica or Porto, and the recent prize money that the Champions League teams are receiving is only increasing the domestic gaps on the peripheral leagues like ours.

As things are or we start to qualify or sooner or later the club will need outside investors, impossible to compete at this level without financial resources. That or if they want cheaper squads they can add youth players and we fight with Braga for the third place and the odd cup there, and trying to sell younger players to foreign leagues.

Don’t know how the club can compete at a reasonable level, even Europa League outside the group stages is becoming difficult when you look at the English, Spanish squads and so on.

They better come with ideas or tell the truth, under this circumstances we cannot win domestic leagues, let alone the fecking crap regarding the referees here, but I lost my patience with that.

SportingCP96

Supports
And I thought I was crazy :houllier:.

Did you forget we still have Borja for left back? Those guys Mendes, Quaresma and maybe Joelson they are doing the preseason and they will train sometimes with the main team but it’s probable they will compete between the under 19’s or 23’s. Plata will stay as Camacho, starting to feel Keizer is trying to see if he can fit Matheus Pereira as a alternative to BF instead as a winger.

Starting to fear Bragança won’t stay, instead we will stay with Miguel Luis who is nothing special, probably Jovane will leave too.

Honestly for me Max has more long term potential than Renan, it’s incredible the number of times I watch him he barely saves a shot. Ilori is useless, even worse than when he was 20. Why the hell they didn’t called Domingo’s Duarte? He had a decent season at Depor.

Returning Acuna, Borja and Coates we will have a couple of more options, big if is without Champions League how will we be able to keep BF? And if he is sold by less than 50 million I can see turmoil at the club.

Honestly as things are now we still have a considerable gap to Benfica or Porto, and the recent prize money that the Champions League teams are receiving is only increasing the domestic gaps on the peripheral leagues like ours.

As things are or we start to qualify or sooner or later the club will need outside investors, impossible to compete at this level without financial resources. That or if they want cheaper squads they can add youth players and we fight with Braga for the third place and the odd cup there, and trying to sell younger players to foreign leagues.

Don’t know how the club can compete at a reasonable level, even Europa League outside the group stages is becoming difficult when you look at the English, Spanish squads and so on.

They better come with ideas or tell the truth, under this circumstances we cannot win domestic leagues, let alone the fecking crap regarding the referees here, but I lost my patience with that.
I didn't forget Borja. Thats my point if Acuna leaves I would let Mendes start. Borja is at his max level he wont get better but he could get worse. Mendes has shown he is a talented kid and as it stands IF Acuna was to leave I would argue he is our best option and it would be good for us to actually play our academy players who are good enough instead of loaning them out until they are 26. WTF happened to us. Braganca will get loaned out until his contract runs out.

Keizer is a fecking idiot if he is trying to play Matheus at BF position. Camacho is not ready for the first team he should be in the Sub 23 but he wont be because of how much he cost. Quaresma will have the hardest time getting to the first team because we have 3 very good options there for our league.

Lastly it would help if we can get a good coach and build from there. Keizer has to stay because he won 2 of the luckiest cup wins I can remember. The team has no defensive dynamics we do the same thing every game just like last season and conceded every game. Offensively the same thing. What is our play style? we dont have one we just pass the ball and shoot a few times and hope we score.

IF Bruno leaves we are fecked. Keizer will be gone before December.

SportingCP96

Supports
Also I dont mind losing in Pre Season. That is not the issue because I prefer we lose here then in real games. I dont mind losing in this stage IF you can see we are trying to implement a style of play, trying something new and showing progression. My problem is if we are losing but we are showing no signs of improvement. If we are losing and playing a center back as a right back when we have a right back who is much better on the bench etc.

Once again it is pre season so I am going to save my anger for when he get blown away by Benfica in 1 month.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I didn't forget Borja. Thats my point if Acuna leaves I would let Mendes start. Borja is at his max level he wont get better but he could get worse. Mendes has shown he is a talented kid and as it stands IF Acuna was to leave I would argue he is our best option and it would be good for us to actually play our academy players who are good enough instead of loaning them out until they are 26. WTF happened to us. Braganca will get loaned out until his contract runs out.

Keizer is a fecking idiot if he is trying to play Matheus at BF position. Camacho is not ready for the first team he should be in the Sub 23 but he wont be because of how much he cost. Quaresma will have the hardest time getting to the first team because we have 3 very good options there for our league.

Lastly it would help if we can get a good coach and build from there. Keizer has to stay because he won 2 of the luckiest cup wins I can remember. The team has no defensive dynamics we do the same thing every game just like last season and conceded every game. Offensively the same thing. What is our play style? we dont have one we just pass the ball and shoot a few times and hope we score.

IF Bruno leaves we are fecked. Keizer will be gone before December.
Of course Camacho will not play in the under 23’s, that’s absurd. Honestly Matheus played as a offensive midfielder for the youth teams, so no it’s very limited to only see him as a traditional winger, he can do more than one role.

Regarding the rest, the coach might not be perfect but at least isn’t a old millionaire idiot who thinks is bigger than the club.

Let’s wait until the Supercup, can’t wait for your late night meltdown throwing insults at Keizer, Varandas and everyone else.

By the way, what players arrived for the Knicks? :lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
Of course Camacho will not play in the under 23’s, that’s absurd. Honestly Matheus played as a offensive midfielder for the youth teams, so no it’s very limited to only see him as a traditional winger, he can do more than one role.

Regarding the rest, the coach might not be perfect but at least isn’t a old millionaire idiot who thinks is bigger than the club.

Let’s wait until the Supercup, can’t wait for your late night meltdown throwing insults at Keizer, Varandas and everyone else.

The insults are thrown when necessary. I don't think Keizer is the right man for the job but he has earned the benefit of the doubt because of the fluke cup wins.

I never said Camacho will play for the under 23's (because he cost so much money) I am saying he should because he is still too raw for the first team.

Matheus is not good playing with his back to goal which is why he is better off on the wings where he has more freedom. Also Vietto is a waste on the wing it makes no sense at all.

Also you can say whatever you want about JJ (I agree he earned a lot of money) but he was the best coach in Portugal for a reason and its not an accident he is the best Sporting coach of the last 20 years (I only wish Jardim could have stayed longer).

One thing I will give Varandas and Hugo Viana is I think the scouting is better then under BDC. The only player that really has not worked out has been Ilori. Besides that they have identified some interesting players.

Ok Lastly. I agree lets wait until the supercup because that is when the season begins. I will watch Sporting live at the stadium for 3 of the first 4 games of the season before I head back to the states so I will have better feedback then.

SportingCP96

Supports

Forgot to comment on the Knicks......They are a even bigger joke then Sporting has been:lol::lol::lol: BUT they are trying to do things the right way this time "allegedly" so lets see in a few years.

I go through more pain then happiness with Sporting and the Knicks but...I would not trade them for any other team:nono::nono::drool:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Forgot to comment on the Knicks......They are a even bigger joke then Sporting has been:lol::lol::lol: BUT they are trying to do things the right way this time "allegedly" so lets see in a few years.

I go through more pain then happiness with Sporting and the Knicks but...I would not trade them for any other team:nono::nono::drool:
I share some of your concerns, particularly on a defensive level it was a massive downgrade going from JJ to Keizer, particularly the space between the lines. Only joking.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Luiz Phellype is a big lad. He will be naturalized Portuguese soon enough :devil:

SportingCP96

Supports
I share some of your concerns, particularly on a defensive level it was a massive downgrade going from JJ to Keizer, particularly the space between the lines. Only joking.

I liked Eduardo he has good technical qualities but he needs to improve his defensive positioning if he is to play in the #6 role.

Mathieu is still such a class player. I love that man:lol:

What is your prediction in terms of league table?

Bondi77

I often have read that we have scouts at every Benfica game and if that is the case why is it we have only ever bought Lindelof, anyone know if this is the case or not?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@paraguayo No chance.

@SportingCP96 Third, with a small chance to be second if we bin the Portuguese Cup and League Cup, resting players and hope Conceição has a meltdown during the season.

@Bondi77 Big clubs have scouts around the World. They don’t sign players, they make analysis and reports, who makes the decisions to sign players are the managers, directors or football agents.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
So, Porto sold Oliver Torres. I do think his talent is totally wasted. his second stint at Atletico broke him, IMO. He was a fantastic energetic midfielder, with a great vision.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Paços de Ferreira hired Oleg Reabciuk from Porto B. Still not determined if it's a loan deal or a transfer with buyback clause. Reabciuk is a young moldovan left back who actually made a quite interesting career so far at Porto youth teams and Porto B.

Paços also hired Bernardo Marins from Benfica B. Despite being a starter for Benfica B, this is really not a player that I put my fath on. he probably might do well at Paços, but I don't think he has what it takes to be a top club player.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It's confirmed: Óliver Torres signs for Sevila form 12M€ (Porto paid 20M€ for him). Porto gets 40 to 50% of future sale value, but this is not yet confirmed.
Hope he can recover his motivation, because when he's focused and on form he's a brilliant midfielder.