Portuguese Football 2019/20

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Santos renews until 2024, seen lots of criticism about this because the football's been far from great but it feels like a natural decision to me. I think a lot of people were dreaming about JJ leaving Flamengo for a stint with the national team.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Porto are the worst team in football history at penalties, it's hilarious.

They're not very good at actual football either, the least bad team will win the league. Conceição almost makes me want to root for Benfica.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
The bold part about Jovane is a bit scary if you really think about it :P

I have similar opinion as you: I think Camacho is very focused, but he doesn't have enough spark to become a reliable top club winger. He should refactor himself. The base quality is there, though.

Max is secure, but i really don't think he will become a top keeper tbh.

What surprises me most is that Porto has an amazing generation of players, like Diogo Leite, Diogo Queirós, Fábio Silva, Baró, Fábio Vieira, Tomás Esteves and they are failing to take advantage of that. Porto used to be a club who was an example in taking the best out of good generations. I think they had lost their focus on the transfer activity... From a NT perspective it will be a pity if none of those players manage to get to the first team.
Which is surprising because this is the weakest Liga I have seen in my lifetime. Look at the players both for Benfica and porto and compare it to 8-10 years ago and you see how bad these teams are. Its the perfect time to integrate these players.

Jury is still out on Max, he actually reminds me a lot of Rui Patriicio and when Rui first started I dont think anyone would of thought he would become the goalkeeper he became. Time will tell though.

Ze Luis and marega are the starting strikers for Porto, Just think about that for a second. The quality in this league from the big club id piss poor.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Which is surprising because this is the weakest Liga I have seen in my lifetime. Look at the players both for Benfica and porto and compare it to 8-10 years ago and you see how bad these teams are. Its the perfect time to integrate these players.

Jury is still out on Max, he actually reminds me a lot of Rui Patriicio and when Rui first started I dont think anyone would of thought he would become the goalkeeper he became. Time will tell though.

Ze Luis and marega are the starting strikers for Porto, Just think about that for a second. The quality in this league from the big club id piss poor.
And remember Seferovic and Marega actually scored double digits last season :houllier:

I think Benfica and Porto lost too much focus on their transfer policies: suddenly they are hiring expensive players and some of them are not even youngsters with potential, which is a baffling decision.

Portuguese clubs rely too much on future sale incomes, and this is a high-risk strategy because you just need a couple of seasons where you are not able to make enough transfer money to break even to things to go downhill, and fast.

Buying players who are no longer U23 like Vinicius, Weigl, Raul de Tomás, Marchesin, Nakajima, Zé Luís, Uribe, Saravia, Vietto and even Sporar would only make sense if they were at bargain prices, because they are high risk transfers, even if they eventually deliver quality, for several reasons:
  • Players who are no longer U23 are not so marketable and have less transfer potential.
  • These players who are expensive also will demand a higher base salary due to their career experience.
  • If they fail to make an immediate impact, they will become a burden not only because you can't recover the transfer money, you also can't find many clubs willing to loan him supporting his wage.

SportingCP96

Supports
And remember Seferovic and Marega actually scored double digits last season :houllier:

I think Benfica and Porto lost too much focus on their transfer policies: suddenly they are hiring expensive players and some of them are not even youngsters with potential, which is a baffling decision.

Portuguese clubs rely too much on future sale incomes, and this is a high-risk strategy because you just need a couple of seasons where you are not able to make enough transfer money to break even to things to go downhill, and fast.

Buying players who are no longer U23 like Vinicius, Weigl, Raul de Tomás, Marchesin, Nakajima, Zé Luís, Uribe, Saravia, Vietto and even Sporar would only make sense if they were at bargain prices, because they are high risk transfers, even if they eventually deliver quality, for several reasons:
  • Players who are no longer U23 are not so marketable and have less transfer potential.
  • These players who are expensive also will demand a higher base salary due to their career experience.
  • If they fail to make an immediate impact, they will become a burden not only because you can't recover the transfer money, you also can't find many clubs willing to loan him supporting his wage.
120% agree with this. It makes no sense to pay 7.5M for Vietto and 7M for Sporar who have no resell value.

Invest the money in 2 ways...eiher 1.) Talented young players like James back in 2010 or Falcao and Jackson or even Hulk OR 2.) Pay the big bucks for PROVEN Players where you won't get burned. Bas Dost comes to mind as a guy who was a proven goalscorer and him stepping down to the Portuguese league it was obvious he would bang in 30 a season.

Compare that too now. 20M for Weigl? who is literally average at best. 20M for Vinicius. 30M for nakajima? Ze Luis? Like what the hell is the goal here.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The second red card was an acceptable decision. Reckless challenge by Nuno Santos. The ref should had been more complacent on the first sent off.
I was actually rooting for a loss because if we win the title it will do us more harm than good.

SportingCP96

Supports
Wow. Best performance in a very long time.

GREAT:
- Nuno Mendes is the real fecking deal
- Quaresma is class
- Nunes has been dictating the tempo
- Jovane is playing fantastic since football returns well done to him

Hope to see Joelson later.

BAD:
- Plata is way too green
- Sporar is just eh
- Camacho is way too much of an individualist.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Will Daniel Bragança do the pre-season with Sporting main team at least? He looks like to have some potential and could actually be a squad player next season, saving some wages money.

Same should be asked about Vitor Ferreira at Porto and Tiago Dantas at Benfica: they are already very talented for their age.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Benfica having a meltdown of epic proportions now

Surely Lage can't stay even one more day

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Benfica having a meltdown of epic proportions now

Surely Lage can't stay even one more day
I was anticipating it, tbh. i do think the relationship between players, staff and board are not in good terms. The players don't like the president to get into the dressing room after a bad result and doing demoralizing speeches (which he does from time to time) and felt betrayed by Lage getting on board with it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Benfica was an amazing watch yesterday, fair play to Santa Clara they were fantastic all game. Had more corners and shots on goal I think. If there's one league where BCD is really impacting on the bigger clubs it looks like it's Portugal.

On an unrelated note was watching France-Portugal from euro 2000 today. Forgot the meltdown the Portugal players had at the end for the penalty awarded for what was a clear handball from Abel Xavier. The shot from Wiltord looked like it was just going in.

Also how is Nuno Gomes remembered as a player? I get the feeling Pauleta is still much loved even though there's no comparison between the two in major tournaments.

Gomes scored a cracker v France overall 4 goals in euro 2000. Scored crucial winner v Spain that got Portugal out of group stages of euro 2004 then scored v Germany in 2006 and 2008.

Pauleta scored loads for Portgual but just wouldn't happen for him in major tournaments, hat trick v Poland in 2002 and first v Angola in 2006 group stage only tournament goals.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Benfica was an amazing watch yesterday, fair play to Santa Clara they were fantastic all game. Had more corners and shots on goal I think. If there's one league where BCD is really impacting on the bigger clubs it looks like it's Portugal.

On an unrelated note was watching France-Portugal from euro 2000 today. Forgot the meltdown the Portugal players had at the end for the penalty awarded for what was a clear handball from Abel Xavier. The shot from Wiltord looked like it was just going in.

Also how is Nuno Gomes remembered as a player? I get the feeling Pauleta is still much loved even though there's no comparison between the two in major tournaments.

Gomes scored a cracker v France overall 4 goals in euro 2000. Scored crucial winner v Spain that got Portugal out of group stages of euro 2004 then scored v Germany in 2006 and 2008.

Pauleta scored loads for Portgual but just wouldn't happen for him in major tournaments, hat trick v Poland in 2002 and first v Angola in 2006 group stage only tournament goals.
Pauleta was the better player and had the better career club wise.

Gomes was the main striker of the most supported team in the country and scored big goals for the national team which Pauleta didn't at all so he's the most loved of the two.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Ferro, 60 million player, the future of the national team, etc.

He’s not good enough for the second division :lol:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
It’s crazy how awful they are right now. Watched the games against Santa Clara and Tondela and the have such a bang average side.

Gifting Porto the league.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Ferro, 60 million player, the future of the national team, etc.

He’s not good enough for the second division :lol:
From the moment Lage supported LFV post match dressing room rants, I knew players would make sure he wasn't going to be there next season. Confidence was broken.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
After 19 games, they had 18 wins and 1 loss. Since then 10 games, 2 wins, 4 draws, 4 losses and both wins were fairly lucky. One of the biggest second half of the season implosions in football history.

We were 21 points behind, only 9 points behind now if we win on Wednesday and we still play them. Would be the most miraculous recovery ever

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
From the moment Lage supported LFV post match dressing room rants, I knew players would make sure he wasn't going to be there next season. Confidence was broken.
Don't think I've ever seen players do the coach like this while in the middle of a title race that's there to be won. It's insane.

If what you say is true then the lack of professionalism is unbelievable.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Maritimo goalkeeper was amazing in fairness, Benfica should've scored three goals in first 20 minutes alone.

Was really impressed by the quick Maritimo forward (sorry don't know any of their players names!) who played massive part in the two goals with great direct dribbling.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Porto still must play against Sporting and Braga but the race for the title is surely over after Porto's win against Pacos de Fereira a few minutes ago and Benfica's current form.
Porto were absolutely awful against Paços too so you never know but in this current climate I think it's next to impossible for Benfica to regain momentum. The coach is gone but I don't believe they'll make a total 180 just like that.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Porto were absolutely awful against Paços too so you never know but in this current climate I think it's next to impossible for Benfica to regain momentum. The coach is gone but I don't believe they'll make a total 180 just like that.
Sporting for the 2nd place (I think that is not totally impossible because Benfica vs Sporting is still on the table)? ;)

SportingCP96

Supports
You guys are absolutely high if you believe for 1 moment we will end in second place. For one we wont win every game and two and this is the most important....

The system would never allow that level of embarrassment to have Benfica Lose a 7 point lead at the top of the table AND lose a 15 point lead to Sporting of all teams? Never will they let that happen EVER.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Not going to lie, I'm starting to dream about it :lol:
You guys are absolutely high if you believe for 1 moment we will end in second place. For one we wont win every game and two and this is the most important....

The system would never allow that level of embarrassment to have Benfica Lose a 7 point lead at the top of the table AND lose a 15 point lead to Sporting of all teams? Never will they let that happen EVER.
Today was another step ;)

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Congratulations Porto fans. Please take advantadge of the good talent on your youth next season.

SportingCP96

Supports
WTF Sporting! Hiring a sketchy CB again?!?!?
Dont know much about him but we only have 2 CBs in our team and we need more depth and experience now that our team is getting younger and younger.

Neto is basically retired he is so bad.

Illori...:lol:

Borja not even a CB.

Was a position we needed to enhance.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Dont know much about him but we only have 2 CBs in our team and we need more depth and experience now that our team is getting younger and younger.

Neto is basically retired he is so bad.

Illori...:lol:

Borja not even a CB.

Was a position we needed to enhance.
But hiring a bench CB from Betis? I know the urgency to enhace the position, but there's no market logic whatsoever.

SportingCP96

Supports
But hiring a bench CB from Betis? I know the urgency to enhace the position, but there's no market logic whatsoever.
Maybe the idea is to stick him at LCB role next to Coated OR they are preparing for an eventual Coates sell?

Only time will tell.

I am more worried about finding a striker because Sporar is absolutely garbage. He is very close to approaching Diaby levels of shit.