Positive Thread (the old title was a joke)

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I keep seeing these pro United threads pop up. They have no place on a City forum.

Litch

We've won 19 of our 26 games in all competitions, this season. If that doesn't inspire confidence, then I'm not sure what can.
Each to their own but my attitude to winning games is to go on to potentially win something at the end of it. Sorry but we are so far away from City and some of the other teams in Europe, it's untrue. Can anyone really argue that yet again, we still need 4-5 world class signings? If we've progressed that much, we are we still in the same position? Id argue it's as much about the lack of progress by other teams, as much it's to do with anything else....

SER19

He proved them wrong, and all it took him was half a billion pounds.
And also, don't see what my post had to do with any of that. City won't win 16 out of first 17 next season. Not a controversial claim

SER19

Each to their own but my attitude to winning games is to go on to potentially win something at the end of it. Sorry but we are so far away from City and some of the other teams in Europe, it's untrue. Can anyone really argue that yet again, we still need 4-5 world class signings? If we've progressed that much, we are we still in the same position? Id argue it's as much about the lack of progress by other teams, as much it's to do with anything else....
The same position would be being behind Arsenal Tottenham Chelsea and arguably Liverpool. We've improved, city have just improved more.

SER19

We could easily be third next week.
Saying we are the second best team is a bit premature.
We could be. Could be second in three weeks. Could be fourth.

For my money we look more dominant against most teams than anybody else, with lots of room for improvement in the big games. It might be premature but it's certainly not blatantly wrong, like it would have been in each of the last four seasons

M Bison

Supports
York City
:lol: "were the second best team in England" suggests celebration to you?! Must be non stop celebrations in your house.

Ya it probably is strange to create a thread about the reality of our position rather than another about city or how poor we
It seems strange to create a thread about being second in the league, claiming that this is major progress. You can say all you like you’re not celebrating that fact but to create a thread like this certainly does imply it.

The reality is, we’re not even half way through the season and we’re currently 14 points off top spot, hopefully 11 by the end of today but still some way off City, not only in points but overall quality. We’re joint second with Chelsea who are playing very well and I’m sure they would be in with a shout of the second best team in the league title.

We’ll agree to disagree I think.

Litch

The same position would be being behind Arsenal Tottenham Chelsea and arguably Liverpool. We've improved, city have just improved more.
Each to their own and the only improvement is the influence of Pogba. The rest for me is pretty much the same.

SER19

It seems strange to create a thread about being second in the league, claiming that this is major progress. You can say all you like you’re not celebrating that fact but to create a thread like this certainly does imply it.

The reality is, we’re not even half way through the season and we’re currently 14 points off top spot, hopefully 11 by the end of today but still some way off City, not only in points but overall quality. We’re joint second with Chelsea who are playing very well and I’m sure they would be in with a shout of the second best team in the league title.

We’ll agree to disagree I think.
We'll have to, with the clear sticking point being what you perceive to be celebration.

We are more competitive with the 18 other teams than at any point post Ferguson. City are having a season that would have blown away any team (points wise) and is unbalancing how progress looks.

SER19

Each to their own and the only improvement is the influence of Pogba. The rest for me is pretty much the same.
The influence of a key player is surely a good thing and the result of the way the team is set up. Equally we're turning a lot of poor draws into wins. We're not exactly peak united, but we're closer than we have been since 2013

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
All the teams are in transition. City are, Chelsea are. Now give me the core of players Utd vs City, and see who is talking bollocks.
Our core would include: De Gea (27), Jones (25), Bailly (23), Pogba (24), Matic (29), Rashford (20), Martial (22), Lukaku (24)
City's core would include: Ederson (24), Otamendi (29), Kompany (31) {Stones (23)}, Fernandinho (32), Silva (31), De Bruyne (26), Sane (21), Sterling (23)

Last edited:

Di Maria's angel

Yup. Pep at City: 0 Trophies. Mourinho at United: 2 trophies + the CS.

This makes zero sense.

Yes City are ahead but United have been the more successful club over the past 2 seasons.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
We are, in fact I think Arsenal and Liverpool have a claim to now be on the same level as Spurs.

Spurs are currently the 7th placed team in the league and have lost to United, Chelsea, Arsenal & City already this season.

Based on this season it's:

City
United | Chelsea
Liverpool | Arsenal | Spurs
On the basis of this season — yes. But I'm counting the general situation over the recent seasons.

Micky Targaryen

As much as I want to believe that we are currently the second best team in the league, I'm still not convinced that we really are. Our position on the table looks promising and we are currently on level points with Chelsea, a team that has beaten us convincingly this season. Also not convinced that we can hold our position come squeaky bum time. Hopefully we make some smart buys in the January window to improve our depth and our bloody injury curse.

On a more positive note, our winning mentality does seem more apparent now as compared to the last few seasons. We do look like a team who are hungrier for trophies now and we are definitely on the right track. Here's to hoping Mou can lead us back to our glory days.

Toad

Stop reading what you want. Nobody is "proud". You can recognise progress without saying it's enough. Would some people prefer we make a rule that we can complain only all the way from moyes last game until we win the league again. Lazy response

The poor mentality is the ones hammering our team at ever turn while worshipping city
I am not reading what I want, I am stating a fact that it is what will get teams into trouble.

Yes, we have improved...Obviously. But we are a long long way off City, who I am not afraid to praise at the moment.

It’s easy to say we are that one step off but when it comes to it, we need a few world class players, it’s not easy to get them within the same transfer window and there aren’t many top top talents available that would really boost us.

Although, City’s success is down to De Bruyne and peps tactics. When pep leaves we won’t need to have this conversation :smirk:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Why? City were pretty shite last year and finished 4th.

It's all about now, not what you did last year.
Because this is how I rate things — I don't force you to agree with me. The recent months show a lot, but when I assess a general quality of the teams I like to use a bigger scale.

Litch

The influence of a key player is surely a good thing and the result of the way the team is set up. Equally we're turning a lot of poor draws into wins. We're not exactly peak united, but we're closer than we have been since 2013
Not for me as it just creates a team that's over reliant on one player, and equally easier to set up against. It's no science and depends on your football ideals. I like to win, but equally like to be entered as that's pretty much the Utd DNA...

villain

Hates Beyoncé
We can’t say ‘with confidence’ that we’re better than Chelsea, I think we’re about the same level personally.

Everything else I agree with.

Litch

Yup. Pep at City: 0 Trophies. Mourinho at United: 2 trophies + the CS.
If those trophies are the barometer of success, that makes me feel even more depressed. Moyes and LVG kicked us so hard in the balls, our expectations are based on those two trophies. I will say though that one got us back into CL but it masked how poor we were in the PL...

SER19

I am not reading what I want, I am stating a fact that it is what will get teams into trouble.

Yes, we have improved...Obviously. But we are a long long way off City, who I am not afraid to praise at the moment.

It’s easy to say we are that one step off but when it comes to it, we need a few world class players, it’s not easy to get them within the same transfer window and there aren’t many top top talents available that would really boost us.

Although, City’s success is down to De Bruyne and peps tactics. When pep leaves we won’t need to have this conversation :smirk:
Fair enough I agree an attitude that second is good enough will mark the end, I just read your initial post as a suggestion of what I was doing, which it clearly isn't

Josep Dowling

Sometimes you just have to accept your second best which we are this season.

However I would take this over floating around 4th/6th in the league and worrying about beating minnows at home.

Our squad isn’t the finished article, and I think most people knew that before the season started. It’s the hope that kills you.

SER19

Not for me as it just creates a team that's over reliant on one player, and equally easier to set up against. It's no science and depends on your football ideals. I like to win, but equally like to be entered as that's pretty much the Utd DNA...
In agreement on that, though I have found a fair few games entertaining. We've let ourselves down in the big games and every season will have at least a few like Brighton and Bournemouth. Every season under fergie did. We're not scintillating but definitely aren't boring other than in the big games- which I'd like to see change

Regarding a big player I think Chelsea minus hazard, Barca minus messi, real minus Ronaldo and city minus this seasons form player for them de bruyne or silva would all struggle if those players were out for long spells like pogba has been

Di Maria's angel

If those trophies are the barometer of success, that makes me feel even more depressed. Moyes and LVG kicked us so hard in the balls, our expectations are based on those two trophies. I will say though that one got us back into CL but it masked how poor we were in the PL...
Hold up. You said yourself "Each to their own but my attitude to winning games is to go on to potentially win something at the end of it." I've just shown we've done exactly this.

Then you go on to state "Sorry but we are so far away from City", who have won jack shit since 2014.

You're not making any sense.

Water Melon

Our core would include: De Gea (27), Jones (25), Bailly (23), Pogba (24), Matic (29), Rashford (20), Martial (22), Lukaku (24)
City's core would include: Ederson (24), Otamendi (29), Kompany (31), Fernandinho (32), Silva (31), De Bruyne (26), Sane (21), Sterling (23)
Not fair. Kompany is dispensable, Smalling is not. Fecking Aguero is dispensable, Lukaku is not. Silva vs United is dispensable the immobile Matic is not. City are getting the best out of their younger players, while players you seem to quote as our core have no even fixed positions. Jesus is doing wonders and is keeping Aguero out of equation, whike we are praying for Zlatan to be fit enough, when Lukaku is on his dry spell.

Red_toad

Eh what? I think we are average team, with a load of average below us. My idea is teams are suppose to be progressive, be better than previous teams and keep raising the bar. We have either stagnated or gone backwards at times. Take Pogba out this team, are we really that much better than last year or are the others below us worst than last year?

Please feel free to read your quote I bolded. It does not make any sense.

KristianMackle

In my heart, I really feel had we not lost Pogba for so many games this season, we'd be at most 3 or 4 points behind City.
We built our team around Pogba as we should so without him we fall apart. There's just no way we score 3 at Arsenal without Pogba or maybe even one!

Man-United

I'm happy that we this season looks far more certain to finish in top 4 than last when we had to hope on winning EL, thankfully we did that.

If Jose had CL football last season it would be different, he's one year behind Pep in that sense.

Di Maria's angel

Not fair. Kompany is dispensable, Smalling is not. Fecking Aguero is dispensable, Lukaku is not. Silva vs United is dispensable the immobile Matic is not. City are getting the best out of their younger players, while players you seem to quote as our core have no even fixed positions. Jesus is doing wonders and is keeping Aguero out of equation, whike we are praying for Zlatan to be fit enough, when Lukaku is on his dry spell.
Feel free to show me your core United/City teams

As for your other statement.

Sterling 15 goals, 3 assists.
Jesus 10 goals, 2 assists.
Sane 8 goals, 10 assists.
Total: 33 goals and 15 assists.

Lukaku 14 goals, 4 assists.
Rashford 9 goals, 6 assists.
Martial 8 goals, 6 assists.
Total: 31 goals and 16 assists.

Yup, only City can get the best out of their young forwards.

Roll on the next City riding statement.

Red_toad

:lol::lol: How petty of you!

Pleased to be second but this thread is embarrassing. Especially because we’ve got a tricky game today and are currently level on points with Chelsea so things could change quickly.
Yes how petty of me that you support York City, yet post about this 'we' on a United thread. Carry on with the attitude.

Darkhorsez

I keep seeing these pro United threads pop up. They have no place on a City forum.
Ha ha - nice one! Ok, I am not really happy with the title of the thread but I can see the perspective about it. In the past few years we’ve struggled to stay in the top 4 so in a year where it looks like we are going to be comfortable in that respect is great and definite progress. For all the City “lovers” ... we were the only top side to threaten their run. For all their fancy possession, us having the kingpin of our team missing, and 2 gifts, we were a “throat” breadth’s away from doing just that. This season is by no means done and dusted and I think we will surprise our rivals by continuing to win games. Now watch us drop points today!

Litch

Hold up. You said yourself "Each to their own but my attitude to winning games is to go on to potentially win something at the end of it." I've just shown we've done exactly this.

Then you go on to state "Sorry but we are so far away from City", who have won jack shit since 2014.

You're not making any sense.
Ok. Let me qualify it further, the competitions that we all know count which I'm sure you know anyway. SAF success wasn't based on winning the league cup or CS. Also winning the FA wasn't enough to save LVG either.

superdry

touched by a genius
When we're good, we are very very good, but when we hoof ball we are horrid! From 2nd best to 2nd worst!