Positive Thread (the old title was a joke)

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Its a piss poor league (as it has been for the past 7years or so).

City are playing at the level that the likes of Chelsea, United, Arsenal, City themsleves were doing in the 00’s, its not amazing stuff, they are simply at the quality level a top premier league team should be, and every one else, including us, are sub standard.

There isnt a team in this league other than City who would be able to go toe to toe with any of the top four sides from 2000 -2010.

And its not “just because its City”, if you take their team and line it up against the top teams from back then they are on par, if perhaps a little better than some of them.

You take everyone else, the gap is laughably huge.

el3mel

That season reminds me a lot of the time Mourinho arrived to manage Chelsea for the first time with loads of money and SAF was rebuilding the team. We couldn't come near them at this period and they were hailed as much as the current City team. Probably same circumstances as this season, Pep managing City with loads of money, Mourinho rebuilding the team and we can't come near them in the league at the moment. Hopefully we come closer next season and give them a proper run.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
:lol::lol: How petty of you!

Pleased to be second but this thread is embarrassing. Especially because we’ve got a tricky game today and are currently level on points with Chelsea so things could change quickly.
How is this thread embarrassing?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Yes and the difference is 11-14 fecking points without approaching Christmas yet. Thats the core for you. Preaching for Zlatan to stay fit, while Jesus is letting Kun rest on the bench. City are better, City have an identity, their players are on lower wages and they can afford to buy anyone that they want, yet they manage to get KdB play much better than Miki and Matic. Who bought younger players, Pep did. Sterling-the flop-is all of a sudden doing better than Martial. Who is the main reason for all this, it is Pep and Jose. Who is doing the better job, quite clearly Pep. Do I see anything suggesting that Jose will get an upper hand over the baldie? No. How many transfer seasons has Mou had at his disposal already? He has lost his first season with Utd to Conte, and his second to Pep very very early. His third season will be the last with United, and I am less optimistic about it than a season before.
Wait, where did I state our core was better? You said theirs was younger which it isn't and now we're talking about who's a better team, which, by a long distance, goes to City. You're now going off to all sorts of different tangents.

KDB is one of the best players on the planet - far better than Mkhi. Why compare him to Matic?
As for Sterling the flop being better than Martial. He's on a role, but Martial has been just as effective - I mean just look at the fecking numbers, there really isn't much between them. The biggest difference is that their best player has started every PL game, ours has missed more than half. Nearly everything goes through De Bruyne. Just look at how influential he was yesterday scored the second, won the penalty, his brilliance for the third. Take him out and they'd drop a level, probably still be top but the difference wouldn't be 14 points.

SAFicus

Yeah those two statements just don't work together :lol:, if you say with confidence that United are better than Chelsea at this point then your head is quite clearly right up your own arse @SAFicus

As I said in my posts, we are currently behind City and on a level with the current champions of England, above the rest. It's not perfect, but it's progress.
You're wrong, but at least you aren't claiming Chelsea are better.

wolvored

We can confidently say we are a much improved team this season than from the last 3. Its taken a ruck of money and some of the signings have had to be moved on. Mourinho will be here for at least another season, depending on results. with the upcoming transfer window and especially the summer one we will probably have 95-100% morphed into the team he wants. We should finish comfortably top 3 which of course is an improvement, maybe reach the last 8 of the Champions League, but next season we need to win the Premiership.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
:lol: at the added thread title

Talking about progress, some of the comparisons.
The same amount of victories at home at this stage, as we had in the whole last season. GD is atm +1 compared to the end of last season.

Also last and this season:
PPG: 1.82 - 2.24
G scored/PG: 1.42 - 2.17
G con/PG: 0.76 - 0.64​

All that, missing Pogba for the larger parts. Stats with Pogba in the league: W7, D1, L0.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
:lol: at the added thread title

Talking about progress, some of the comparisons.
The same amount of victories at home at this stage, as we had in the whole last season. GD is atm +1 compared to the end of last season.

Also last and this season:
PPG: 1.82 - 2.24
G scored/PG: 1.42 - 2.17
G con/PG: 0.76 - 0.64​

All that, missing Pogba for the larger parts. Stats with Pogba in the league: W7, D1, L0.
Blasphemy! How dare you be positive towards Man United? That too with true and verifiable facts! The utter cheek of you.

Robbie Boy

The worst part is that I don't rate this Chelsea side whatsoever and yet there's not much between us and them.

Seveneric

Isn't that around where most of the forum had United? Not better than City, but most likely better than Chelsea.

So, congrats?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We're a lot better than last year, where we seemingly couldn't beat anyone at home, but obviously City's insane run has got us overlooking our own improvement.

You have to take it for what it is, a firm step in the right direction, but for this season, ensuring 2nd, and going far in the cups is our level.
Could be some monumental cup battles coming, looking at the quarter final league cup draw for one! Could well be Arsenal, Chelsea or City to choose from in a two legged semi.

iamherenow

it's funny how last season,most on here were moaning that we finished 6th and won two cups...This season,we are most likely finishing in the top 2 or 3 and people are still moaning and apparently no progress is being made..its pathetic..

Greck

Pretty happy with our results this season. It's like people can't remember how we struggled to beat average teams the past 3 years. I don't know why people are depressed we haven't had immediate success. I'm content to slowly build a dynasty that will dominate the league one day. The foundations are there and will get stronger with quality investment.

redshaw

If we're still second in Feb with a bit of a gap then I'd pencil in a yes.

Results and goals scored are better after 17 games.
2017 goals 37 pts 38
2016 goals 24 pts 30
2015 goals 21 pts 29

We've improved and look like a solid top 4 team rather than a team looking at the top 4.

M Bison

Supports
York City
How is this thread embarrassing?
If the statement was made on RAWK, we’d be ripping their fans to bits.

It’s also premature to suggest we’re second best in the league at this point in the season. We’re joint second with a very good Chelsea side.

I’m pleased we’ve improved our league position vs this point last year but I think we’re getting ahead of ourselves.

Minimalist

I think so far we’ve been doing fine but pretty unspectacular bar the Arsenal result (which required a good dose of Dave to pull off). We're second in the table and I'd say it's clear we're one of the better sides in the league and should do well enough in Europe with a solid defence.

Not sure we’re necessarily a better team overall than Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal and it really remains to be seen (obviously) if we’ll finish above them. I would still think it's unlikely we'll not make the top four (and we should be in the 2nd-3rd spot at least) but a lot can change.

cyberman

People forget this, the progress we've made from last year to this is something every doomsayer on here told us couldn't happen.
I'd love a comarison between the negative posters pre season expectations to what they deem isn't good enough as we stand.
Ill bet the differences are staggering.

Witchking

This is obviously one place lower than we want to be, but for the first time since sir Alex left we can say with confidence that we are a better team than Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham. Okay, debate can be welcomed regarding this but under moyes, two years under lvg and last year under Jose we couldn't have made that claim with a straight face.

It's been great progress. I've been thinking about it in the last week and it's obvious to me, that city's form is making us all feel a lot worse about things and makes us feel further away than ever, despite the fact this is the best we've been in 5 years.

There's no way City will ever replicate a season like this. Not a chance. Had we finished a close second to city or Chelsea in a tight race this season I think many would be glad to be up there. City's runaway season is altering reality for us.

For me making sure we just focus on us this season, keep getting good results, hopefully a cup or miracle run in Europe and keep Jose motivated and ready for the challenge.

Overall with all the doom and gloom, we are in a position that seemed an impossibility at many times in recent years. One more step to make

If somebody can point out where this post celebrates being second or implies that it's good enough please point it out. We can talk about progress without saying we think it's enough

Pretty sure, all of United's rivals said similar things when we kept winning the league and did the treble. "oh it's a fluke, no way will United keep winning the title"

If you have good foundations, then your team can carry on winning and tweaking every season. Even if City are playing very well and might not replicate a season similar to this, they might still manage to win more even with losing more games, drawing more games etc. They are currently ahead of United because they a very good mix of players and a blueprint to follow.

Us on the other hand, even with excellent players, have no clue of the style we play, no fixed group of players who can be trusted, of course, injuries are a part of it, but benching good players to suit the defensive style we play and not getting our defenders to play the ball on the ground is causing United a lot of trouble to play good football consistently.

Yes, it's great United are second, but United should have not been 11 points behind City, we are 11 points behind due to not winning a single game against Liverpool, Chelsea, City which would have given the team and fans a lot of confidence in the title fight and losing the way we did against City showed our mentality as if we are a small team who can't go on an attack just in case we get opened up. Grabbing a late win against Spurs is the only highlight against a supposedly big team we have and that is disappointing.

Edit: And Arsenal

Hopefully we still manage to give City a scare and stay close to them and change our style a bit and we will truly have improved in every way.

Claude Makélélé

Chelsea - with Costa saga, Conte future, Lukaku, Matic "disasters", a loss to Burnley at the opening game - is currently 3rd with 3 points below United after 17 games.

United is currently 2nd on the table. But to say you are the 2nd best team there are 20+ games to go. Chelsea has a convincing win at Stamford Bridge on hand.

Parry Gallister

Are we really celebrating the fact we think we’re the 2nd best team in England?

Wow.
Not celebrating, but acknowledging it's another step in the right direction despite the caf being hysterical over city being better.

Parry Gallister

Its a piss poor league (as it has been for the past 7years or so).

City are playing at the level that the likes of Chelsea, United, Arsenal, City themsleves were doing in the 00’s, its not amazing stuff, they are simply at the quality level a top premier league team should be, and every one else, including us, are sub standard.

There isnt a team in this league other than City who would be able to go toe to toe with any of the top four sides from 2000 -2010.

And its not “just because its City”, if you take their team and line it up against the top teams from back then they are on par, if perhaps a little better than some of them.

You take everyone else, the gap is laughably huge.
Agree with this, memories are weirdly short in football. City are clearly the best in the league, but some of the comments (from journalists too - that times guy) about them being a GOAT team are ridiculous. They're very good and still young, but aren't playing at a level above invincibles Arsenal, United 95-00 and 06-08 and Mourinho's first Chelsea sides. Not knocking them though, the fact that they are being mentioned alongside those sides show's how good they are and how long it's been since the league has had a really high quality side.

Red_toad

To you maybe not, but I think when Utd talk about success, it's based on PL and CL. The rest are insignificant unless you are having a crap season elsewhere. Most teams will play a weakened team for the cup comps anyway....
We're second to the average teams below us, how do you explain that? We can't be second to any team below us. It is completely contradictory and impossible. Read your quote not mine, I'm asking you to. Explain what on earth you're on about and I'm still lost how we can be second to teams below us!

SER19

Celebrating second when the season is not halfway done yet. :lol:
Dreadful post. Really awful.

Nobody is even talking about 2nd place. The thread is about being the second best team. As somebody pointed out, Burnley aren't the 5th best team. But united have the best defence, second best attack and have been winning games with less fuss than other teams. (Apart from city of course).

Thread is about man united and where we are compared to other years. But feck it,who cares, interpret what people are discussing like a twelve year old and fire in a smiley. Standard fare on here this season. Throw in the word embarrassing and you win a prize

SER19

Chelsea - with Costa saga, Conte future, Lukaku, Matic "disasters", a loss to Burnley at the opening game - is currently 3rd with 3 points below United after 17 games.

United is currently 2nd on the table. But to say you are the 2nd best team there are 20+ games to go. Chelsea has a convincing win at Stamford Bridge on hand.
All fair points. As I said from the first post, open to debate, the point is that for the first time we actually have a worthy part of the debate in terms of being better than Chelsea Arsenal Liverpool Tottenham. For my money we're better than Chelsea this season, for yours Chelsea are. Not much in it. Last four years it was stone cold certainty that Chelsea were

SER19

If anything this just proves what a job the current set up had. Money was absolutely wasted, the transfer business has clearly been appalling. But the current manager is putting that right, mkhitaryan the only one looking like he will be written off.

Though saying rashford and lingard were there as part of fergusons era is a stretch. Club shouldn't be criticised for producing talent themselves

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I just wanted to create thread like this. We have superb season. In any other year this would be 10/10 season so far. But city has season out of this world. And because of that people just don't realise how good we are.
We are winning game after game, scoring goal after goal. I will say this- if next year in this time we will be like this it would be fantastic. City can't have one more season like this.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
We'd win the title with this form in 95% of all seasons since the PL started. We've been nowhere near this level for five years. (statistic invented on the spot)

That's an enormous positive. The board will back Jose to beat Pep next season and rightfully too. All we're missing are a couple of world class difference makers and Jose's method will work. 100% certain of that.

Kapardin

Win this and we are 3 points ahead of Chelsea, 8 points ahead of Arsenal, 10 points ahead of Spurs and 7-10 points ahead of Liverpool.

We may not be flashy, but in any other season, this is title winning form. Pity City are on another level this season.