Music Post Malone

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He did that?
"If you're looking for lyrics, if you're looking to cry, if you're looking to think about life, don't listen to hip-hop," ... "whenever I want to sit down and have a nice cry, I'll listen to some Bob Dylan."

Classical Mechanic

"If you're looking for lyrics, if you're looking to cry, if you're looking to think about life, don't listen to hip-hop," ... "whenever I want to sit down and have a nice cry, I'll listen to some Bob Dylan."
In full context

“If you’re looking for lyrics, if you’re looking to cry, if you’re looking to think about life, don’t listen to hip-hop,” he said. “There’s great hip-hop songs where they talk about life and they spit that real shit, but right now, there’s not a lot of people talking about shit.

“Whenever I want to cry,” he continued, “whenever I want to sit down and have a nice cry, I’ll listen to some Bob Dylan. But whenever I’m trying to have a good time and stay in a positive mood, I listen to hip-hop because it’s fun. I think hip-hop is important because it brings people together in a beautiful, happy way. Everybody’s happy.”

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He did that?
He sure did.

In full context

“If you’re looking for lyrics, if you’re looking to cry, if you’re looking to think about life, don’t listen to hip-hop,” he said. “There’s great hip-hop songs where they talk about life and they spit that real shit, but right now, there’s not a lot of people talking about shit.

“Whenever I want to cry,” he continued, “whenever I want to sit down and have a nice cry, I’ll listen to some Bob Dylan. But whenever I’m trying to have a good time and stay in a positive mood, I listen to hip-hop because it’s fun. I think hip-hop is important because it brings people together in a beautiful, happy way. Everybody’s happy.”
The full context, he’s still wrong.
There’s plenty of rappers spitting ‘that real shit right now’, there’s just a few rappers who grab all the headlines.

Like I said, it’s an insult to hip hop, and he doesn’t even call himself a rapper - so he can remain in the other genres which have more emotional depth, or whatever.

Classical Mechanic

He sure did.

The full context, he’s still wrong.
There’s plenty of rappers spitting ‘that real shit right now’, there’s just a few rappers who grab all the headlines.

Like I said, it’s an insult to hip hop, and he doesn’t even call himself a rapper - so he can remain in the other genres which have more emotional depth, or whatever.
I agree with you that there are rappers doing stuff with depth but Post Malone saying something daft won’t affect if I like his music within the hip hop/trap genre. I hope he does attempt a completely different genre as he said he would. I’m interested to see if he could be successful. I’m not sure if many artists have been able to pull that off writing their own stuff.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I agree with you that there are rappers doing stuff with depth but Post Malone saying something daft won’t affect if I like his music within the hip hop/trap genre. I hope he does attempt a completely different genre as he said he would. I’m interested to see if he could be successful. I’m not sure if many artists have been able to pull that off writing their own stuff.
I’d be interested to see that, in my opinion he’s been welcomed into hip hop and other genres like rock are harder to break into.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
GOAT of Frat boy music, maybe.

Un4givableB

In five years it will be "remember Post Malone", and you will be "Post who ?".

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I don't see much wrong in what he said, even though he is a bell end. You can point to a few examples probably that likely nobody has ever heard of or the odd mainstream artist here and there but the vast majority of mainstream hip hop just talks bollocks about money clubs and women and how good their lives are. That's not an insult, it's the truth. It's still catchy to listen to but let's not pretend your average hip hop song was penned by Shakespeare.

Classical Mechanic

I don't see much wrong in what he said, even though he is a bell end. You can point to a few examples probably that likely nobody has ever heard of or the odd mainstream artist here and there but the vast majority of mainstream hip hop just talks bollocks about money clubs and women and how good their lives are. That's not an insult, it's the truth. It's still catchy to listen to but let's not pretend your average hip hop song was penned by Shakespeare.
The stripped back nature of acoustic music makes it the perefect medium for conveying deep emotion too. It leaves the artist exposed.

Sweet Square

Yeah there's not that much wrong with what he said. Hip Hop at the moment is the most listening to genre of music on the planet so of course the majority of it will be nothing more the advertising but the same was true of rock music as well.

Classical Mechanic

New album out, broken the (albeit young) first day streaming record on Spotify

The album is over long for me (18 tracks) with too much filler. Cut it down to 12 and it would have been a pretty strong effort. The critics hate it but there are a lot of great hooks and melodies on there and it will likely be a big album this year. I think the best tracks (outside of Rockstar and Psycho) are Stay (an acoustic effort which kind of sounds like an Oasis B-Side in their pomp), Same Bitches, Better Now (kind of annoying but infectious pop song), Blame it on Me, Explorer 92 and Sugar Wraith. Ball for Me with Nicky Minaj will probably be a single but I'm not that keen on it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's awful but due to him being quite active in the youtube community and being open with his 'youtube celebrity' fans everyone is jumping on it. Smart guy.

Classical Mechanic

That it's awful and people are influenced by their favourite celebrities? Yeah.
You don't think it is anything to do with Congratulations and Rockstar being massive (and great) songs and winning him an army of fans? Granted that social media strategy can give a boost in these situations but I completely disagree with your implication that his success is down to cynical marketing. If you have listened to his entire body of work (without prejudice) its obvious that he has a big talent for writing great hooks and melodies. This is the principle ingredient that makes people listen to music over and over.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He owes massive amounts of success to people like H3H3, I completely agree with @SilentWitness. Congratulations and the other stuff on Stoney were pretty much sleeper hits - they got pushed a lot after the release, a lot of which down to connections. It happens a lot in the streaming era, he's not the only one.

As for the actual album: Three Bentleys outside of Billabongs, I don't really like it. I mean, I thought Stoney was bearable, but this just sounds samey and uninspired.

Classical Mechanic

He owes massive amounts of success to people like H3H3, I completely agree with @SilentWitness. Congratulations and the other stuff on Stoney were pretty much sleeper hits - they got pushed a lot after the release, a lot of which down to connections. It happens a lot in the streaming era, he's not the only one.
I don't see this a legitimate criticism. Appetite for Destruction by Guns and Roses was released in August 87 and the critics were largely uninterested in it and it didn't hit number one until August 88. They had to tour (the old way) it extensively to get it heard and it became one of the best selling albums of all time. Malone may have had to use different avenues to get his music heard but you can't sustain a career or have the level of success he is having without the music having legitimate sonic merit, regardless of if you think it hits the bar for artistic merit or not. He isn't a one hit wonder, rather he is moving into the very upper echelons of success in the music business.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Watched two documentaries about his rise to fame recently, Post Malone is a Rockstar and From Soundcloud to success with Post Malone and he's had quite an interesting life story so far. Dropped out of college and moved to LA with a pro gamer friend without any money, and just started to write songs. He already had a lot of songs when he dropped his first one on YouTube and became an instant star overnight, literally.

I like a couple of his lesser known after listening to Stoney and beerbongs & bentleys but I hate Congratulations.

SteveTheRed

He's that guy with the dumbass "Always tired" tattoo across his face? He has some catchy songs but it's all pretty much garbage lyrics.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Watched two documentaries about his rise to fame recently, Post Malone is a Rockstar and From Soundcloud to success with Post Malone and he's had quite an interesting life story so far. Dropped out of college and moved to LA with a pro gamer friend without any money, and just started to write songs. He already had a lot of songs when he dropped his first one on YouTube and became an instant star overnight, literally.

I like a couple of his lesser known after listening to Stoney and beerbongs & bentleys but I hate Congratulations.
Yeah the more popular songs like Rockstar and Congratulations are catchy but then forgettable. Stuff like Broken Whisky Glass, Paranoid, Stay, Sugar Wraith, etc.. He writes good songs. It's popular to dislike him though.

Classical Mechanic

but I hate Congratulations
I think its a great track. Don't care for Quavo's contribution to it though.

Psycho is probably his best track. That has a great feature from Ty Dolla $ign on it.

I really like that track he did with Preme recently 'Jackie Chan' very catchy.

Be warned though....

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah the more popular songs like Rockstar and Congratulations are catchy but then forgettable. Stuff like Broken Whisky Glass, Paranoid, Stay, Sugar Wraith, etc.. He writes good songs. It's popular to dislike him though.
Exactly. I really like Ball For Me for the tune and stuff like Otherside, Blame It On Me and Candy Paint. Currently stuck with Better Now in my head all day though ffs :lol:

Norris

Psycho is a great track. Probably the only song of his I liked so far.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His face tattoos are fecking awful, that's all I have to add.
I can't help but feel he's going to massively regret those once he "matures".

Then again he'll probably not make the other side of 50 :rolleyes:

Sweet Square

I can't help but feel he's going to massively regret those once he "matures".

Then again he'll probably not make the other side of 50 :rolleyes:
Even as someone with lots of tats the face is a no go. Can't remember when I heard this but someone pointed that theses face tattoo rappers are starting to look like the desks we had at school.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
If you haven't filled the rest of your available body space with tattoos and you tattoo your neck, hands or face, you are an idiot or a soundcloud rapper.

The two are not mutually exclusive.