PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 Hull City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 29 November 2014

Someone

Something
Great performance the entire game, the confidence is high and OT will soon be a fortress again. The best thing about this game is that valencia and young have done really well, suddenly everyone seems to have an important role to player apart from anderson.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Have we heard from LvG yet? I am anxious to know about Rooney. I am assuming AdM will be out of Stoke game anyway.

Trizy

Like people said earlier you can clearly see LVG's philosophy now, which is quite annoying because we'd have seen it month ago if it wasn't for these stupid injury set backs. A full fit first XI with this philosophy will be impossible to stop them scoring on you.

Winrar

Could've easily been 4+:0 to us. Best United performance I've seen in a while.

Infra-red

Van Gaal calling it our best match of the season in his postmatch interview. Can't disagree too much.

adamwest

That was fun. feck me it's been a while since I've been able to say that after watching us! Things heading in the right direction.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
77.2% Possession with 736 successful passes out 802.
Difference today was it felt like the possession had a purpose rather than just holding the ball so the other team didn't have it.

There was movement off the ball, there was decisive quick balls being played, overlapping runs and purpose to the play.

Hull were wank, to be fair, but it was a much better performance than the Palace one where we also dominated possession.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
The van Gaal philosophy on display today, back to the United we know and love.

Same thing against Stoke on Tuesday who are in a poor run form and if we take 7 points from Saints away, Starfish & friends at home then Villa away we're looking good at Christmas.

ghagua

Decent performance from everyone. Felt like a training match more than anything. Hope Rooney can come back for the match against Stoke as that will be much tougher.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The van Gaal philosophy on display today, back to the United we know and love.

Same thing against Stoke on Tuesday who are in a poor run form and if we take 7 points from Saints away, Starfish & friends at home then Villa away we're looking good at Christmas.
Agreed. A glimpse of what lies ahead. Imagine how good we would be if we were injury free and had the same group of players to build continuity with each week. We would be challenging for the league.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
This Hull side played very well against Spurs with eleven men. We completely dominated them.

Everyone played well.
They were good at Anfield as well, Liverpool couldn't get going until the middle of the second half and Hull defended really well after that.

redspoony

Great performance. Carrick was a cut above. Bit worried about Rooney - I was level with his when he slid off the pitch he absolutely SMASHED into it.

NJM78

Enjoyed watching us for a first time in a long time, still feel we have a lot to do with more forward movement and pace but we are improving all the time. Herrera stood out and another solid shift from Fellaini was good to see, plus Carrick looked really decisive in everything e did. Hopefully Rooney will be fine for Stoke game, which I don't see us keeping a clean sheet in but I do see another win. Mata did well today but I'd personally like to see Rooney play behind RvP and Falcao next game as the Stoke midfield is a lot more physical than Hull and I think Rooney will handle it a better with more strength and pace, plus it will give us a chance to see Falcao start a game which is long overdue. Doubt it though.

legball

We need more from him than just goals. I know that sounds strange but football is a team game and he isn't contributing enough.
He's contributing, just forget the lay off to Rooney for the second.

If that's how we're gonna play from now on i'll be impressed. We absolutely dominated them and never allowed them a foothold in the game. That kid of attitude will go a long way towards making Old Trafford a fortress again. Who would like to play against a team that suffocates the game like that? Just need to add a bit more urgency when we get near their box and more of a killer instinct in attack. You feel we should have created a bit more chances from all that possession.

The White Pele

Very good performance and the most complete 90 mins we have produced for a long time. To be critical, I felt that in the first half while the game was still in the balance we needed to be a bit more incisive with our possession. We kept the ball very well with Mata and Herrera always making themselves available but I do think that it came straight back to the defence a bit too often. If we hadn't got the first goal from the set-piece we may have struggled to break them down playing this way.

The second half was fantastic and it was good to see us really opening them up at times even though the points were already in the bag.

I thought RVP was horrible in the first 45 mins - some really poor touches, which is unlike him. He produced two absolute trademark finishes after the break, the goal and the diving header that was saved, so hopefully he has turned a corner.

I think we may finally be narrowing in on a first XI and formation now, something like this perhaps

------------------DDG
Rafael---Smalling--Rojo---Shaw
---------------Carrick
--------Blind----------Herrera
---------------Di Maria
----------Rooney-----RVP

with DDG, Smalling, Shaw, Carrick, Herrera and Rooney the players who should be sure of their place IMO.

Some very strong competition for places from those not mentioned.

gasmanc

Banned
Has anyone worked out what formation that was and who was playing where ? There was a solid back four with Carrick in front, perhaps Fellaini and Rooney wide of a diamond but aside from that I couldn't fathom our formation. Mata seemed to be playing next to or just in front of Carrick at times and along with Herrera those 3 completely controlled the game.
Van Persie was almost a second striker first 15-20 minutes and the front 5 players all interchanged superbly well to a point you could barely work out what the feck was going on lol.
Rojo was excellent and Smalling too, hopefully we keep them fit.

Positive result and performance and the only negative being ADM pulling up feeling his hamstring and Rooney getting a knock, Rooney felt that late in the second half, daft to come out for the second if he's made it worse :(

jeff_goldblum

Has anyone worked out what formation that was and who was playing where ? There was a solid back four with Carrick in front, perhaps Fellaini and Rooney wide of a diamond but aside from that I couldn't fathom our formation. Mata seemed to be playing next to or just in front of Carrick at times and along with Herrera those 3 completely controlled the game.
Van Persie was almost a second striker first 15-20 minutes and the front 5 players all interchanged superbly well to a point you could barely work out what the feck was going on lol.
I think, nominally at least we played a diamond. Starting out with RVP behind Di Maria and Rooney, Carrick sitting and Fellaini and Mata to the right and left. RVP moved up front when Di Maria went off and Mata took his place with Herrera coming into midfield.

As you say though, we were so fluid that if you took a picture of the pitch at any given moment the players positions would look different every time, but I reckon if someone made an average positions chart it'd look like a diamond with the full-backs pushed forward.

Last edited:

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Carrick was majestic today. His composure and passing was absolutely beautiful. I love that man.

Sam

Rojo was excellent and Smalling too, hopefully we keep them fit.

Positive result and performance and the only negative being ADM pulling up feeling his hamstring and Rooney getting a knock, Rooney felt that late in the second half, daft to come out for the second if he's made it worse :(
I gave up trying to work it out. It was hurting my head :lol:

Kostur

海尔的老板
God, this was so fecking enjoyable in the first half, haven't seen us play with such control, good link up and ease for so long. We've been so comfortable on the ball it's incredible, that's why so many of us wanted to see Herrera/Fellaini/Carrick(Blind) midfield, it's looking brilliant.

gasmanc

Banned
I think, nominally at least we played a diamond. Starting out with RVP behind Di Maria and Rooney, Carrick sitting and Fellaini and Mata to the right and left. RVP moved up front when Di Maria went off and Mata took his place with Herrera coming into midfield.

As you say though, we were so fluid that if you took a picture of the pitch at any given moment it'd look different every time, but I reckon if someone made an average positions thing chart it'd look like a diamond with the full-backs pushed forward.
I had a great view from the middle of the north stand and couldn't work out what hell was going on but the United players clearly knew exactly what they were doing. Asked my mate if we can't work out what the players positions are then what chance have Hull got. Even from the back as Smalling or Rojo went on forays forward our midfielders dropped in to cover, it was almost seamless interchanging of positions.
I think we've seen today exactly what Van Gaal is implementing and it's extremely exciting, if you look at us in possession our passes are all very short, we condense the play allowing us those triangles and opposition chasing shadows.
Our midfield was very high at times almost in amongst our attack and then one dropped off to pick up possession dragging a defender with him allowing us space to attack. It really was an eye opener of a performance and when was the last time an injury to Rooney wasn't a complete disaster for our setup? We've Falcao/Mata to come in and cover and we actually looked a better shape after Di Maria went off and Herrera came in, we look in really great shape.

siw2007

Very impressed today. We were totally in control and were well worth our 3 goals. It was a shame to lose Di Maria so early but Herrera linked really well with the players around him so kind of worked out.

My fav performance came from Carrick who put in another top display of controlling the game from that deep lying position. 2 excellent goals from Rooney and RVP too.

Cina

I was at the game today and it was great to watch live, such a lovely performance.

Carrick stole the show for me, faultless.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Complete performance from United today. Midfield were absolutely superb especially impressed with pace of passing.

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 479 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Hull City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Man Utd 3:0 Hull City
  • 16% Man Utd 3:1 Hull City