Post match v Liverpool

Stretfordender

Funny old game football. So many ups and downs for teams this season.

without doubts a ‘freak’ result at the weekend and having dispatched of Betis Thursday night we’ve put that behind us.

Oh and Liverpool are back apparently ffs

Amarsdd

Just goes to show what a freak result that was and how it doesn’t speak too much about the current state of the teams.

Shimo

Still can't get over how we managed to kick start their season, undoubtedly they are going to be on course to win every match here on in.

Unfortunately yes.

Which is bloody frustrating because next week we will go back to fighting for trophies on 4 fronts and they will go back to getting turned over by Wolves.
So I was spot on with this. Fecking frustrating we had such an embarrassing result against a shite team.

Witchking

Just goes to show what a freak result that was and how it doesn’t speak too much about the current state of the teams.
Only if we are able to win against Southampton. We need to get the confidence back. The league is different from the betis game. Just need calm heads and play to our strengths and we will win. I trust eth to get us back on track.

Amarsdd

They were simply lucky and our players shat their pants for whatever reason. The stars aligned for them in the 2nd half. They scored 6 in one half... thats like an average of what? 6-7 mins per goal? thats crazier than our own freak results like that 7-1 win against Roma and 8-2 win against Arsenal.
Not even that. They scored 7 from 8 shots on target. That’s crazy. And around the time for our games against Roma and Arsenal, the state of our team were much better than theirs. So 7-1 and 8-2 could be rationalized. But this result is completely irrational given we are the better team.

OrcaFat

Liv were lucky (on some level or other) to win 7-0. What really annoys me is that they always seem to be able to dig a performance out when they play us. They just lost to Bournemouth ffs. Why can’t they just be shit against us for once.

davidmichael

Last week was their cup final, struggling to make top four and out of all cup competitions pending the Madrid game whilst we’re resurgent to an extent with a trophy in the bag already so they were always going to raise their game to the highest level seen all season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don’t think it was as much about that as some people think. Yes, every single player performed terribly in that second half, and yes our attitudes were unacceptable, but in a normal game we’d have conceded only 2 or 3 in that half, even with those factors in consideration.

The amount of luck Liverpool had in most of those goals, and the fact they scored 7 from 8 chances on target shows how freak it was. After Betis and Bournemouth today that is even more apparent.
I don't think it was lucky. Our players just weren't doing their jobs. Most of their goals under normal circumstances someone gets a block in, or puts themselves in the way of a pass/cross, or just clears the ball. There were at least 2 where there's like 4-5 opportunities for one of our players to just easily get the ball away, and another where Rashford just had to run out and put himself in the way if a cross. Thats down to 4 just by doing the most basic things. It's easy to score every chance when the opposition aren't doing anything to make it more difficult.

The solace I can take in it now is that I'd rather we be good all season and have one game where it goes completely to shite, than be shite all season then randomly turn it on and look amazing for 1 game against our rivals.

The former you can put down to a freak poor performance/reaction, or at least look for an excuse for, the latter just suggests your players are repeatedly taking the piss.

Also we could still win 1-3 cups and finish top 4, which I'll happily take in exchange for Liverpool having their 7-0 coffee mug/bus parade.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't think it was lucky. Our players just weren't doing their jobs. Most of their goals under normal circumstances someone gets a block in, or puts themselves in the way of a pass/cross, or just clears the ball. There were at least 2 where there's like 4-5 opportunities for one of our players to just easily get the ball away, and another where Rashford just had to run out and put himself in the way if a cross. Thats down to 4 just by doing the most basic things. It's easy to score every chance when the opposition aren't doing anything to make it more difficult.

The solace I can take in it now is that I'd rather we be good all season and have one game where it goes completely to shite, than be shite all season then randomly turn it on and look amazing for 1 game against our rivals.

The former you can put down to a freak poor performance/reaction, or at least look for an excuse for, the latter just suggests your players are repeatedly taking the piss.

Also we could still win 1-3 cups and finish top 4, which I'll happily take in exchange for Liverpool having their 7-0 coffee mug/bus parade.
Yep, a few emotional posters were suggesting the 7-0 was more important than a cup or top 4 etc.
It really isn't.

You won't look back in a few years and say oh there was a battering that season. You look back at cups, finishing positions and progress.

Castia

Just seen their result today….fecking pissed to be honest how we let them run all over us they’ve been wank all season

RopersReturn

Bournemouth seemed to achieve the impossible and I’m thrilled for them, but am actually still furious with us for that excruciating defeat last Sunday.

C'est Moi Cantona

Are we sure our half time drinks weren't spiked with something last weekend? If not it was one of those all the stars aligning moments for them, it scarcely believable that we even lost watching play like this most of the season, let alone the way we did.

If any Liverpool fan took it at face value then I really hope they enjoyed the very hard landing today.

As for Souness with some of the crap he came out with, and has written since ..:lol:

OrcaFat

I suppose it depends what counts as luck. I thought, if nothing else, they were lucky to catch us on the day we disintegrated into thin air.

OrcaFat

Are we sure our half time drinks weren't spiked with something last weekend? If not it was one of those all the stars aligning moments for them, it scarcely believable that we even lost watching play like this most of the season, let alone the way we did.

If any Liverpool fan took it at face value then I really hope they enjoyed the very hard landing today.

As for Souness with some of the crap he came out with, and has written since ..:lol:
Ha ha yeah feck off Souness what a cnut.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
After today it's undeniable proof that playing us is back to being their cup final while they're absolutely fecking shite against everyone else

small time cnuts

Hughie77

It's all gone quite hasn't it, a week in football is a long time . Utd bounce back with a good win, and that lot get feck all. Even the there greatest ever missed a pen.

El Zoido

These cnuts. Scored from 7 out of 8 shots last week, including Salah cracking one in off the bar. This week he can’t even hit the target from the spot.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I suppose it depends what counts as luck. I thought, if nothing else, they were lucky to catch us on the day we disintegrated into thin air.
Well yeah, luck from their point of view in that we just downed tools, which they decided to dress up as some kind of ultimate display of footballing excellence... which they are now going to have to counter balance with the fact they couldn't get a draw against Bournemouth and have generally been garbage all season.

It's straw clutching consolation but at the same time I definitely wouldn't be trading seasons with them unless they somehow ended up pipping us for 4th and we crash out of the EL.

OrcaFat

Well yeah, luck from their point of view in that we just downed tools, which they decided to dress up as some kind of ultimate display of footballing excellence... which they are now going to have to counter balance with the fact they couldn't get a draw against Bournemouth and have generally been garbage all season.

It's straw clutching consolation but at the same time I definitely wouldn't be trading seasons with them unless they somehow ended up pipping us for 4th and we crash out of the EL.
Yeah the gushing praise from the bullshit peddling pro Liv media was pathetic. Our season is definitely better than theirs thus far.

The Oracle

Liv were lucky (on some level or other) to win 7-0. What really annoys me is that they always seem to be able to dig a performance out when they play us. They just lost to Bournemouth ffs. Why can’t they just be shit against us for once.
Recently it's been one sided in the fixtures, but we have dominated them in the Premier League era:

Man UtdLiverpool
1990's8 wins2 wins
2000's10 wins8 wins
2010's10 wins4 wins
2020's1 win5 wins
Totals:29 wins19 wins

...add to that our 13 Premier League titles to their 1*

:devil:

Giggsy13

Glad everyone is coming around and realizing that last week was a freak result. I’m just annoyed we didn’t take advantage of this shite Liverpool side.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Where's the laugh at Liverpool thread? Because I'm laughing

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yeah the gushing praise from the bullshit peddling pro Liv media was pathetic. Our season is definitely better than theirs thus far.
The gushing from people like Souness I thought was a bit weird. I suppose I'd be exactly the same if we beat Liverpool 7-0 but at the same time it just ignored that they weren't even the better team until United collapsed, and that if they can win a game 7-0 and apparently be that good the first thing you should ask is why they're 20+ points behind bloody Arsenal.

It wasn't like the 6-3 at City where I thought we did stick at it all game and just got absolutely hammered for the first hour of it anyway.

OrcaFat

The gushing from people like Souness I thought was a bit weird. I suppose I'd be exactly the same if we beat Liverpool 7-0 but at the same time it just ignored that they weren't even the better team until United collapsed, and that if they can win a game 7-0 and apparently be that good the first thing you should ask is why they're 20+ points behind bloody Arsenal.

It wasn't like the 6-3 at City where I thought we did stick at it all game and just got absolutely hammered for the first hour of it anyway.
A lot of the “undeclared” pounce on any chance to laud Liv. I couldn’t argue if it was really due but it’s unrestrained at times.

McNulty wrote a piece called “a glimpse of future as old rival humiliated” as if we must now look forward to years of humiliations.

I’m not expecting anything but excuses and inane optimism (from McNulty and Souness and the rest) when Liverpool finish below us (along with general denigration of our season and “analysis”that demonstrates our league position is false). Am I paranoid? No, this shit really happens.

Josh 76

Glad everyone is coming around and realizing that last week was a freak result. I’m just annoyed we didn’t take advantage of this shite Liverpool side.
Of course it was a freak result.
Just a pissed up one nightstand. No long term romance happening there!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
For me the biggest thing to be furious about was the fact that we lost the midfield battle to that atrocious trio they have in there. We made Fabinho have his first good game in about 5 years and that little scrote Harvey Elliott look half decent

IrishRedDevil

For me the biggest thing to be furious about was the fact that we lost the midfield battle to that atrocious trio they have in there. We made Fabinho have his first good game in about 5 years and that little scrote Harvey Elliott look half decent
Yup. Casemiro really had a stinker.

Lentwood

They really don't have many ideas this season when teams dig in and counter them. I know we all want to imagine a United team turning up at Anfield, dominating the ball and controlling the game but I can't help but think we played into their hands at times.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A lot of the “undeclared” pounce on any chance to laud Liv. I couldn’t argue if it was really due but it’s unrestrained at times.

McNulty wrote a piece called “a glimpse of future as old rival humiliated” as if we must now look forward to years of humiliations.

I’m not expecting anything but excuses and inane optimism (from McNulty and Souness and the rest) when Liverpool finish below us (along with general denigration of our season and “analysis”that demonstrates our league position is false). Am I paranoid? No, this shit really happens.
Sourness was trying to suggest that the result flattered us, even though they basically scored every chance.

And that we were "getting away with it" in recent games.
Games including comfortably seeing Newcastle off in the cup final, a really strong display away at Barcelona, and a superb second half against them too.
West Ham was more awkward with rotation, with Antonio especially in shocking shooting mode, but their one goal was very likely out, and we still ran it out 3-1.

He's a boob. Wonder how "sure" he was at them winning today, or does he not care about games he's not "performing" for?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Never seen a post match thread on any game survive so long above the fold.

It’s not healthy. We all know it was a freak result. Let it go. Christ.

Chairman Steve

I don’t think we’ll ever see a second half performance like that for a while. Just a perfect storm of United players completely fecking up everything and subsequently Liverpool players doing everything perfectly right. That was like half a season worth of bad luck and good luck dished out in one half of football.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
How the feck did we lose to that shite, never mind 7-0. If I was a Liverpool fan I’d be asking serious questions.