PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Arsenal

Post-match discussion

Sun, 29 April 2018

Godfather

That felt symbolic for Wenger's last game against us. We play like crap while Arsenal get into threatening positions (but lack the final touch/pass/shot) while Fellaini scores a header in injury time. It feels right.
Not really. They were complete crap. We were not much better but that wasn't anything like other encounters.

Hojoon

Not really. They were complete crap. We were not much better but that wasn't anything like other encounters.
The quality was much lower in general but us winning in injury time with a Fellaini header against Arsenal who got into more threatening positions but lacked the final quality feels right.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Last time OT to see Wenger and SAF together at OT (at least on the pitch). Felt really strange today.

I think we've made top four now so that's good. Nothing much more to say except we need a lot of work and new fullbacks.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Made up with the result and the manner in which it came. Parts of that second half were pretty terrible but we hung in there and did the business.

I was impressed with Rom's work rate again and feel for him that he couldn't get into any kind of goalscoring position. The rest of our attackers didn't particularly impress me, and the fullbacks just aren't giving us enough in the final third.

Lindelof had a good game, I'm pleased with how he's developed since his shaky start with us.

Top four is now secured and we look hot favourites for second. Get that and the FA Cup and it won't have been a bad season's work.

Natener

We were fecking about like it was a friendly for the most part and only woke up for the last 10-20min to win the game. Good sign I guess. Would prefer a more professional performance but honestly, not as perturbed as some of our fans here. It's not like we have anything to chase ahead of us and those behind aren't exactly breathing down our neck.

arthurka

If Mourinho can't get a player like Martial playing well consistently then he shouldn't be a coach/manager.
This ... Sadly I cant see him staying.. Fellaini on the other hand ..

Feck me this was bad..
Fellaini should have burried the first header but got lucky with the second.

Sanchez was terrible and Matic was probably the worst player in the pitch.
What a terrible attitude and showing vs a terrible Arsenal side. Martial have us a little width and penetration.

Glad to secure CL and holding on to 2nd but this was dire stuff.

SamVimes

Wooo, three points. Dramatic late winner.

We are such a nothing team though, it's almost hilarious. It's not that we are bad, we just have no personality or discernible playing style. It's just a big fat load of meh even when we win.
This is it in a nutshell.

Minimalist

Pathetic game of football. Sort of shite an international friendly would have been embarrassed to serve up.

We deserved to win but that's a bit like saying you deserve to win a boxing match where your opponent dies of a heart attack before the match starts and you still only manage to win on points
:lol:

alsabi

On the plus side, England are definitely winning the World Cup now ;)

Walters_19_MuFc

Wasn't great, but we got the three points in the end.

To be honest, we were the only team who looked like scoring late on in the second half, and I felt the substitutions of Fellaini and Martial really helped us.

Martial gave us that much needed width and directness, with Fellaini giving us that option to get an early cross into the box.

If we were going to score, it looked likely that it was going to be from a cross, and thankfully, Fellaini got onto the end of one.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Pathetic game of football. Sort of shite an international friendly would have been embarrassed to serve up.

We deserved to win but that's a bit like saying you deserve to win a boxing match where your opponent dies of a heart attack before the match starts and you still only manage to win on points
But of a stretch to call it a "game"

Games usually include some sort of competition... And assaulting someone with the game board when things aren't going your way.

ash_86

Good result for us. Top 4 confirmed, going well to end up in the 2nd spot. In many stages of the game thought we were slow to get off the block. We looks like being stuck in two minds most of the time. We know that direct football woks great for us but we're ashamed to play that way. In the end we try to do one touch stuff with players not suited to that kind of football and give the ball away. The sooner we embrace who we are , the quicker we'll succeed. Also, sanchez looked horrible on the right.

diarm

I don't think Redknapp understands how many football players you are allowed to play at the same time.

Konimey

United won the game, hence did not give Wenger any pleasure of taking away something from OT in his last game here. But more importantly hope Lukaku is ok, we freaking need him for the FA cup final.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Wasn't great, but we got the three points in the end.

To be honest, we were the only team who looked like scoring late on in the second half, and I felt the substitutions of Fellaini and Martial really helped us.

Martial gave us that much needed width and directness, with Fellaini giving us that option to get an early cross into the box.

If we were going to score, it looked likely that it was going to be from a cross, and thankfully, Fellaini got onto the end of one.
Just heard Jose talking about this in his post match. I almost fell off my chair as he usually barely mentions him:lol:
Putting him in the shop window probably:(

Carolina Red

Staff
Another 3 points, Champions League secure, and sent Arsene out of OT with an L. It was ugly, but if the alternative was sending him off with a W, I’ll take it.

Glad to see the big Fella score the winner too, to be honest. He’s been scapegoated for a lot of things in his time here, but he has popped in a fair few important goals for us and always has seemed to love playing for United.

R o o K

Wow, we are probably the only team in the world that the fans moan even if we beat big teams. There is always something to moan about. You can't bring SAF back, you can't bring Scholes back, not Giggs either, nor Keane. This is our team now, this is our manager, either back them or go join another team. I hear bluemoon is hiring fans, the pay is good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motorman

Not the greatest game.

Martial simply has to play. He is too good. I think the next few games Sanchez out right and Martial or Rashford on left.

I also think this showed what we are missing with a right full back. As much as I like Valencia, we need a natural full back there.

Walters_19_MuFc

Just heard Jose talking about this in his post match. I almost fell off my chair as he usually barely mentions him:lol:
Putting him in the shop window probably:(
Jose likes to play with two narrow wide forwards, with full backs giving the width, but to me, we need width on at least one side of the pitch. Preferably the left side, as it gives Pogba a bit more room to play in.

Okey

Hard to analyse. There seemed to be a collective decision not to be up for it today. Almost like they didn't want to embarrass Wenger. At least we won. The less said about the game, the better. Surely we'll be better next season. I mean...we have to. Loved the reception for Monsieur Wenger. Class!

AndyMUFC

It was like a testimonial from both sides for the most part, the tempo wasn't there but we huffed and puffed in the last few minutes and eventually got the win, which we deserved on the whole.

Member 90678

Apart from a victory, I thought Lindelof had a really good game, looks so comfortable bringing the ball out today as opposed to Smalling who looks terrified with the ball!

Jamie Redknapp is such a shit pundit:lol:. Mata was the only man that could unlock the arsenal defence!

Last edited by a moderator:

Flytan

Why does everyone act like Martial played any better than usual? He ran at defenders and lost the boss/made a bad pass almost every time except where he got lucky the ball bounced off the defender and into his path

Djemba-Djemba

Great to win, always great to win in the last minute.

That was tough to watch though, proper shit game of football.

We need plenty of work if we want to catch City.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Standard home game these days. You win some you lose some.
Glad we won.
2 draws secures second.

ChaddyP

The win was the most important. Owen and Sherwood can feck off with their analysis.
they really wanted Wenger to win you can see it.

Owen talking about this manchester united shouldnt be bringing on a big man to "lump" in the ball for a goal. I bet if Klopp had done that to score vs stoke it would have been such amazing amazement

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Just like against West Brom, Matic + Herrera is superfluous against an inferior team at home. Put on another attacker instead, Matic can do the defensive work on his own.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
they really wanted Wenger to win you can see it.

Owen talking about this manchester united shouldnt be bringing on a big man to "lump" in the ball for a goal. I bet if Klopp had done that to score vs stoke it would have been such amazing amazement
Exactly. We are still in a rebuilding phase. We need to win games first before the exciting Football arrives. Jose is doing a fine job since the other 2 clowns destroyed us. But these pundits don’t see that. They don’t understand the shithole Moyes and LVG put us in and how big of a job Jose has in front of him. Can’t believe they’re paid to talk nonsense.

Donnie Brasco

Why does everyone act like Martial played any better than usual? He ran at defenders and lost the boss/made a bad pass almost every time except where he got lucky the ball bounced off the defender and into his path
Because his fanbase have decided he is going to win Ballon d'or so they need to overhype every little thing he does. It's getting beyond annoying.

wolvored

Poor performance against a makeshift team, yet we won so its 50/50 on how to feel. we must improve dramatically for next season. Way too slow in bring the ball from our own half. Does anyone else think Sanchez isnt going to do any good here?

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 327 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:0 Arsenal
  • 17% Man Utd 3:1 Arsenal