PL L FA Premier League

Arsenal 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 01 January 2020

Red00012

I can’t read all the pages ....is it Pogba’s injury or Ole ‘s fault ?

INF-AMOS

In 40 years of watching United I'm honestly lost with this lot.

Fergie once said, to build a successful team.you need 3 or 4 captains in the team. This team is spineless every 2nd or 3rd game. There no one to grab the game and team by the scruff of the neck and that includes managers and coaches.

I was dissapointed we didn't get Haaland because the kid looked like he has that steely eyes ruthless determination sadly lacking in the most of our players when they decide they can't be arsed.

Talk about a roller coaster season.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Arsenal played one of their best games this season. We didn’t.
They will be back to being shite next week just like West Ham, Bournemouth, Villa and the rest were after they mugged us off.

Luke1995

I was close to falling asleep too.

The players are tired. Our squad is weak in numbers, and quality, so we can neither rotate enough, nor rotate without a drop-off in quality, and even the 1st choice players aren't quite up to it. Andreas isn't good enough, but Lingard is literally a whole league worse. Brandon is our best LB but he's actually just a rookie, while Shaw isn't good enough for even the squad. Maguire has been overplayed, but Rojo and Jones are sick notes and not up to standard anyway. Rashford is also overplayed, as is James, but we have no strength in depth their either. Let alone the midfield, which without McTominay now, and likely Pogba too for a few weeks, will just burnout Fred, while Matic is already past it.

Next couple of months is just one tough game after another, and with our squad in this state, we'll be going out of the Cups rapidly, and season over by end of February, as usual.

We know recruitment has been lousy, and if Ole underestimates the need for numbers, it'll be his downfall, as Woodward will never accept his responsibility and resign.

Looks to be another long year ahead.
The most frustrating thing is that from time to time we see the players put on great performances, but usually it is a one-off and they have three or four very bad games...then once a month they turn up with another great performance, some people think ''Yeah, we're back, the Fergie times are back'' only to get sad again. It has been the same thing since 2013 despite multiple people coming and going. Some of these players like Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Brandon really got some talent but seems like they would develop better if they were sold or sent on loan which is sad...

As long as the Glazers own the club it will be the same thing every season. We will never get relegated, sometimes we will be happy with the performances, we may even win a few titles like Europa League and a cup here and there, as we've seen with Van Gaal and Mourinho, but the days of fighting for premier leagues and champions leagues not only are long gone, it appears they will not comeback in our lifetimes.

Foxbatt

We conceded because Ole could not see the tactics of Arsenal. We never seem to practice and near post corners in either attacking or defending. The fact that Arsenal loaded the left side before the first goal and Ole should have been on the bench screaming at Lingard to mark Xhaka. Yet he did nothing just sitting in his seat.

JK-27

For several seasons now this group of players have been massively inconsistent. Doesn't matter who the manager has been, the players just aren't good enough.

Lingard
Young
Jones
Matic
Mata
Martial
Rashford
Pereira

Too inconsistent, for too long. Get rid.

IrishRedDevil

We conceded because Ole could not see the tactics of Arsenal. We never seem to practice and near post corners in either attacking or defending. The fact that Arsenal loaded the left side before the first goal and Ole should have been on the bench screaming at Lingard to mark Xhaka. Yet he did nothing just sitting in his seat.
Chatter box Carrick was keeping him busy on his seat.

moodyred

You know its trouble when lingard, matic and shaw starts. We all know except for ole. To be fair, matic was not as bad as the other 2.

Teja

I think the loss is on Ole more than the players. We setup to counter in the first half and gave them too much respect. Pressing was incoherent because Matic wouldn’t get up and down the pitch so he’d stick back, leaving a player open. AWB was confused positionally and couldn’t make up his mind between tracking Auba / Kolasinac leading to a couple of Arsenal chances and their goal.

We adjusted in the second half to deal with this threat but it felt like Ole could’ve switched things up a lot quicker. Also pressed much better but the attack was still a bit toothless but if we simply came out and played like we did in the second half, I think we would’ve won.

This game doesn’t change much about my overall opinion about Ole / the direction the team is taking. Still need atleast one CM, Ole’s not great at game management but still believe he’s the right man in charge of the team.

Foxbatt

I think the loss is on Ole more than the players. We setup to counter in the first half and gave them too much respect. Pressing was incoherent because Matic wouldn’t get up and down the pitch so he’d stick back, leaving a player open. AWB was confused positionally and couldn’t make up his mind between tracking Auba / Kolasinac leading to a couple of Arsenal chances and their goal.

We adjusted in the second half to deal with this threat but it felt like Ole could’ve switched things up a lot quicker. Also pressed much better but the attack was still a bit toothless but if we simply came out and played like we did in the second half, I think we would’ve won.

This game doesn’t change much about my overall opinion about Ole / the direction the team is taking. Still need atleast one CM, Ole’s not great at game management but still believe he’s the right man in charge of the team.
What direction? He is not taking us any direction. He is keeping us where we are when he took over. This is Manchester fecking United. Not Cardiff or Molde. We should be challenging for trophies. Any good manager would not have us playing this silly kind of football and being unable to handle basic tactics of the opposing team. He should be sacked as is any manager who is not good at game management. Why should he kept if he not good at tactics, coaching and game management?

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I don't think managers direct how to defend corner kicks during matches. One, it would be very difficult to get the right message across. Two, there is not enough time to properly adjust. Hopefully that was all worked out before the match. It was a good corner and well executed and they scored. Not all goals are the result of defensive errors.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I've never seen a United team lack balls as much as this side, I remember Evra describing United v Arsenal years ago as "Men v Boys" - we've basically descended into Arsenal, but 10x worse.

We would be much better off fielding a team with O'shea, Wes Brown, Park, Rafael than the likes of Shaw, Maguire, Lingard - and I'm not talking about quality wise (though this lot get beat in that area hands down) it's just the character isn't there with this squad, within touching distance of top four and they collectively piss themselves, embarrassing really.

I dont know how the fans can muster any sort of support for these guys in the stadium, I dont mean to suggest booing them - they'd only respond like cowards anyway, but to cheer them genuinely must feel sickening as you know they're 10 minutes away from quivering by the corner flag as soon as a team, no matter how shit put a little pressure on.

If these players were horses at the grand national then they'd be taken round back and catch one between the eyes.

The club needs to be gutted from top to bottom.

Gazautd18

Sorry Robbie. That's another episode of ARShole TV I won't be watching.

cj_sparky

I don't think managers direct how to defend corner kicks during matches. One, it would be very difficult to get the right message across. Two, there is not enough time to properly adjust. Hopefully that was all worked out before the match. It was a good corner and well executed and they scored. Not all goals are the result of defensive errors.
Zonal marking.......as in blame someone else marking.

Foxbatt

You know what. All goals are due to a mistake by the defending side. So are you saying that we should not practice defending against near post flicks? I am sure we do not because we also never take a near post flick corner. Actually any decent team does practice against all kinds of corners. The far post corner, the near post corner, the far post corner headed back to the centre or the near post etc.

The first goal was also the same. Xhaka had gone to the left and no one marked him let alone neither Lingard or James even went to him. As soon as Xhaka went there Ole or someone else in the coaching set up should be on the touch line screaming to get to Xhaka.

Colin Clarke

Watched it again or rather the highlights on MOTD and even in the highlights we where shocking. "Arsenal wanted it more" says Ole, We know that but why did they want it more? What was in the heads of our players that we didn't "want it more". I would put all these players on performance based wages if they can't "WANT" to win a game. Maybe that would give them the incentive to " want it more"

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I personally thought Pepe was the beneficiary of good teamwork rather than a good player today. He is not very good. There are much better players at Arsenal.

That aside, there's a pattern with United. Carbon copy of the first half against Watford. Disgraceful display by Shaw and Lingard.

De Gea is baked.

Lindelof, at what point do we realize that it's not just bad luck with him?

jem

The only positives I can take from that game are Fred looking good in midfield, Martial looking lively in attack, and maybe Matic showing a few nice moves. The rest was utter gash. If Ole is going to continue to pick Lingard on this form, then it is really hard to trust his judgment as a manager. AWB is utterly useless with the ball at his feet, and Maguire didn't look much better. I've never been too down on Shaw, but there comes a point where you realize he just isn't good enough.

Foxbatt

I really do not understand why the players are getting blamed for lack of tactics? Yes Lingard is terrible but under a better coach he is going to be better. You get players to do things they can do and not things they cannot do. We may not win trophies with this lot but get a better manager and we would not play this dross.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I fell asleep...and woke to them scoring the first goal.
The rest was a nightmare.

Starting James and Lindgard was a mistake.
It should have been Andreas and Greenwood.
The defence were still at home enjoying the festive drinks.

The midfield.
Pogba does not want to play for us.
Matic is well past it.
McT is out for 8 weeks.
We need at least two midfield players brought in this window.
And they will take time to settle in.
In the short term we should push Jones and Axel into midfield or we will be over run.
Arsenal were poor.
But we managed to be a lot worse.

I have not seen such a poor bunch of players in all my life.

And just changing the manager is not the solution.

As a potential buyer said. The owners have lost the plot.

That's it.

And @Cockney Phil and @DomesticTadpole.
You lads were right. Our defence was nowhere today.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It was so awful that I started to find it amusing. Then mildly depressing.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Now that I’ve somewhat settled my rage-lingard-fueled thoughts I have to say well done to Arteta and Arsenal.

That was the most empathetic performance I have seen from them in the past 10 years. A lot of heart and desire and brilliant confidence on the ball in the back to nullify our lacklustre press.

Reiver

Shite performance and got what we deserved. We were probably the perfect opponents for Arsenal. Just a complete write off of a League season. Again. Jose's last season was just as bad and he didn't make it past Christmas. Why is it acceptable with Ole at the helm?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Only reason Ole is still our manager is becuase Chelsea's form has been rubbish.

manunited1919

1. Ole’s plan for this game was to counterattack. Arsenal read the script and were prepared for our setup.
  2. It is pure idiocy to continue playing Lingard, and specially in this game with the form he is in. As expected, Lingard was atrocious and was asleep for the 2nd goal. I hope it’s the last game he plays for us, but Ole obviously isn’t willing to take that decision.
  3. Greenwood should have started over James: James had just played 90 minutes 2 days ago, and Greenwood was on great form before that.
  4. Why did we pay £80m for Maguire? The difference in the quality of passing and defending between him and David Luiz was obvious today.
  5. During the first half, with Arsenal on the front foot, our fullbacks were playing high time after time while Arsenal had the ball on our half. Why do we leave ourselves open like that when we have 2 CBs that aren’t known for speed?
  6. When Ole talks about consistency, it implies the players aren’t playing to their best. But we also need to look at the tactical mistakes made by Ole and his managers. They need to select the right players and tactics or it’s like sending our team with a hand tied behind the back.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I thought we were decent. Not great. But I'm not too disappointed. We kept the tempo up at a reasonably good rate and kept getting at them. We needed that luck that arsenal received but we didn't get it.

ShinjiNinja26

See it now sorry.

Also saw a couple of things on Twitter about it now too.

A month seems optimistic though.
If thats the case why the hell didn’t they just operate when he puck up the original injury? then he would’ve been fit and back playing by now instead of being out twice as long....Incompetence all over the shop it seems with United.

oz insomniac

Anyone that thinks Lingard is championship standard is deluded, I watched Millwall v Luton and seriously he would struggle to play at that level.

As long as this storied team is run by an accountant and owned by shopping centre managers, then expect nothing but dross. As much as we love Ole, he is out of his depth as a Premier League manager and it's not his fault. Should not have been appointed after a typical manager replacement bounce, that's at the feet of Teflon Ed.

Let's not kid ourselves, if there is no serious recruitment in this window, there is no acknowledgement of where we are as a team. Ed and Ole are failing the biggest club in the world and if they can't get support from the owners , then so be it. Replace them and start a proper rebuild with serious spending and an experienced manager. Today's game underlined the glaring issues and no amount of excuse driven management support from Keefy and Johan can excuse this sh*tshow we are seeing.

littleman

Anyone that thinks Lingard is championship standard is deluded, I watched Millwall v Luton and seriously he would struggle to play at that level.

As long as this storied team is run by an accountant and owned by shopping centre managers, then expect nothing but dross. As much as we love Ole, he is out of his depth as a Premier League manager and it's not his fault. Should not have been appointed after a typical manager replacement bounce, that's at the feet of Teflon Ed.

Let's not kid ourselves, if there is no serious recruitment in this window, there is no acknowledgement of where we are as a team. Ed and Ole are failing the biggest club in the world and if they can't get support from the owners , then so be it. Replace them and start a proper rebuild with serious spending and an experienced manager. Today's game underlined the glaring issues and no amount of excuse driven management support from Keefy and Johan can excuse this sh*tshow we are seeing.
Saying Ole is not good enough but not his fault because Ed shouldn't have appointed him

Why is it Ed's fault? He was appointed by the owners

Simply put stop absolving Ole of blame. He sucks balls and needs to be held accountable. Fans like yourself are part of the problem.

Foxbatt

I thought we were decent. Not great. But I'm not too disappointed. We kept the tempo up at a reasonably good rate and kept getting at them. We needed that luck that arsenal received but we didn't get it.
What luck? They had their tactics and we did not know how to counter them. There is no luck involved in it.

meamth

I was optimistic thinking we could trash them, but that if we got Pogba...
I'm very disappointed by the results, knowing our top 4 rivals dropped points, but luckily we're still 5 points behind.

Injuries to McT and Pogba means we're shite again.

Man United in emergency state of needing 2 midfield reinforcement to help Fred getting through this period. No midfield signing means we're giving up on top 4. Get working Ed.

oz insomniac

Saying Ole is not good enough but not his fault because Ed shouldn't have appointed him

Why is it Ed's fault? He was appointed by the owners

Simply put stop absolving Ole of blame. He sucks balls and needs to be held accountable. Fans like yourself are part of the problem.
So stating he is out of his depth is supporting him, my point was and is he should not have been appointed in the first place. Making him manager is a result of poor administration and identification which is the hallmark of Woody and the Glazers.

Ole seems to sleepwalking through a position he dreamt of getting but never expected. Today's game and tactics and selections are not only on Ole , but Woody . Glazers and the board who have overseen the debacle that this club has fallen to. From recruitment, playing personnel, to media briefings to a neglected stadium, it is on the owners, Woody and the manager . Not sure when it will be addressed, but a sad and unnecessary future is staring at us all.

Foxbatt

So stating he is out of his depth is supporting him, my point was and is he should not have been appointed in the first place. Making him manager is a result of poor administration and identification which is the hallmark of Woody and the Glazers.

Ole seems to sleepwalking through a position he dreamt of getting but never expected. Today's game and tactics and selections are not only on Ole , but Woody . Glazers and the board who have overseen the debacle that this club has fallen to. From recruitment, playing personnel, to media briefings to a neglected stadium, it is on the owners, Woody and the manager . Not sure when it will be addressed, but a sad and unnecessary future is staring at us all.
OK if you are blaming The Glazers and Woodward for appointing such an incompetent manager like Ole. That I agree. But they are the owners and they are not going to sell nor sack Woody. So the only thing that can be changed is the Manager.

Player Ratings

4.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 357 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Arsenal 1:3 Man Utd