PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:1 Arsenal

Post-match discussion

Sun, 01 November 2020

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This is going to be a calm and collected discussion. See you all in a couple days.

Eli Zee

I'm just annoyed that I watched the whole game hoping someone would turn it around and we never did.. the whole team was awful besides some of our defenders.

OrcaFat

Tactics were not why we lost. Arsenal tactics might be a factor in why we couldn’t score. We played through their press ok but they sure had a lot of guys back when we got around their box.

The game looked like a 0-0. Sometimes you sneak them 1-0, sometimes you lose ‘em. Today really was not a failure of manager or team. A few guys were a bit lacklustre but it happens.

The bigger concern is the league table which hurts the eyes.

Intheflatfield

Supports
The mighty Red Devils
Can't stand Pogba. Never want to hear his name ever again. Lazy and a total liability.

GBBQ

Arsenal weren’t particularly good today we just shot ourselves in the foot by persisting with a formation that was clearly not working. That’s on Ole. So depressing cos it takes the sheen off the CL results. One step forward and two steps back.

United Hobbit

Taken from the BBC:

"Manchester United have taken just seven points from their six Premier League games this season, their lowest tally at this stage since David Moyes' short stint at the helm in 2013-14 (7), a campaign in which they went on to finish 7th."

Pathetic

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Curious to know how many penalties Pogba has given away in his time at United. I feel like I've seen him do this exact same foul in the box 2 or 3 times at this point. So sloppy.

Ole got it wrong today but I think it also highlighted the need for quality wide players. With the players at our disposal, we pretty much had to play very centrally. We made it so easy for Arsenal to defend against as they knew there was no threat coming from the wings so they could just plug the spaces in the middle and watch us passively pass it side to side. We desperately needed a win today, we're starting to slip further away now as Chelsea, City, Liverpool and Arsenal are all starting to find consistency. The league form is very very worrying indeed.
Paul Pogba has conceded more penalties (2) than he has made key passes (1) in the league this season

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We are currently in 15th place.
If we win our game in hand we might be able to get 13th.
We are currently stuck in the lower half of the table.
Pretty much where we deserve to be based on our league performances.

Back down to earth with a crash. The better team won; we did very little today and once again only started to press forward for once behind. Why do we keep doing this?

One point from twelve at home is terrible, even accounting for the tough fixtures. It's very early days and there are easier fixtures ahead, but now we are under pressure. Another bad performance in the league. I voted for Lindelof MOTM.

Grey Rider

Hi all, only saw the last 15 (long story). To me we were crying out for genuine wingers/width to break Arsenal down? Been a Utd fan for 52 years - 57 years old now. Imagine Giggs/Sharpe/Kanchelskis /Coppell/Hill etc? This would literally solve at least 75% of our issues imo. SAF always put a massive premium on width especially in the last minutes to win a game. Obviously having no crowd to up the intensity and ‘suck’ the ball in doesn’t help but it’s the same for all teams. Puts our transfer targets into perspective? More wingers please or play Telles? My first ever post (from an old git) so be gentle!

Tormentor

I liked the way Ole comfortably sits on that nice leather chair with a smile on his face while our players walking the pitch in the first half. At one moment I got scared he would get up and start screaming at them.

Is Ole capable to motivate and tactically prepare the team every single game? I don't think so.

DarkRed

It was obvious Pogba is terrible and nothing good will come out of him, but he was never taken off,
Just looks like Ole is unable to improvise.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
PL teams know how to beat us. Let us have the ball. We’ll make mistakes sooner or later. Just wait for it.

Gstyle

I honestly don't think Pogba knows what his legs are doing :lol:

Devil may care

He gets a lot of shit on here at times but we missed Martial's hold-up play today. The rest is on Ole though, I don't know why he had McTominay trying to play RMF and then he persisted with it all half, and to make matters worse he just changed the shape at half time to accomodate McTominay because he's terrified of leaving Maglof without 2 dog soldiers in front of them, and sure we got a grip for 5 minutes or so but then Fred and McTominay's distribution issues kicked in and Arsenal started picking off the passes through midfield.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Agree with you, but so many sides are now playing a high press and so many other sides in the premiership have been able to adapt to it far better than we have. I have been impressed with several sides far far weaker than us this season in the premiership playing out from the back, we simply are unable to it seems
Yes we should know how to do it. And we did against Leipzig. But Arsenal play it faster and we dropped VDB, which took out our sharp passing. But looking deeper, if you have a good system, you can play badly and win. If you don't have a good system, you have to play well or you lose. And that can't always happen.

Lee565

Ole may have got away with the rubbish start last season but christ what excuses can he be afford now when he has the luxury of having an almost complete full strength squad to choose from?

Also that is 1 bloody point from 3 games against the top 6 sides that ole is suppose to thrive against, what now?

Cloud7

Even my cat saw pogba wasnt working on the left. Yet ole let him waste all the game there offering nothing, among many other mistakes. This one is on Ole, absolutely owned by arteta tactically
Ole out, Cat in?

RoyH1

Bad performance. Disappointing. We're simply not able to translate the CL form into our Premiership games. The substitutions did not hel

In the context of the run of fixtures we are in starting from PSG, Chelsea, Leipzig, Arsenal, and finishing at Everton.... this being our first defeat is impressive. I honestly thought we’d do worse.

In the context of the league since the first match of the season it’s not good enough. As a result and as a performance. Too defensive... terrible passing, no control, always looking for the long low ball to the forwards even when they are deep.

In the context of one match. We were crap couldn’t put 2 passes together. Ole’s subs were defensive, pretty much all like for like. Usually when United are losing I know we’ll get a last minute chance, today I knew we wouldn’t.

Donny improved things.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The best I can say about our collective performance today, players, manager and coaching staff was - pathetic.
Another good word is abject.
Another is spineless.
I could go on but those who watched the game will have many more.
Where was the strategy.
Where was the passion.
Awful and no excuses.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I wryly thought we would be poor. Mainly because of Pogba. We essentially cannot start Pogba against a top ten side or away from home against any team.

Start him at home against Fulham. That is all. You just cannot depend on him.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
There was a period in the second half where the ball was just bouncing off of everyone on both sides and the quality was just awful.

goatboy

Something, something, low energy, something something, need to do more, something, something, we can't understand it, something, something, it's not good enough, something, something, we've got to work hard tomorrow at training :mad:

Our captain encapsulates why it's so hard for me to actually engage in the debate these days; how can I make a judgement call on the merits (or otherwise) of the Manager when the players come out with this kind of crap after yet another appalling performance, particularly in respect of effort?

DarkRed

Arsenal first win away at home in 30 attempts against a top 6. Good record for us to break /sarcasm

Performance wise, we looked clueless. No penalty, var, or crazy mistake to help Ole out today
Looked like VAR wasn't working at all,

Offside were called by the linesman on the spot and not the new - let it finish,
no decision review at all.

Giggzy P

We off a 5 nil win, and we decide not to go for it at home.
It was so obvious that were too narrow and were offering no width, why not change it up.
We would have pulled Scott off and brought Axel in gone to a back three from the second half. Get Bruno and Pogba on the ball more, Fred and Scott was not working and were unable to get the ball out.
Scott was lost the whole match and was offering nothing, I was shocked VDB didn't come in for him when the substitution was made. Having Matic and Scott on the field while you chasing a game is just mid table management on Ole's part.

Rocknrolla69er

Unfortunately Oles not ruthless enough, too nice

How many chances do some players need? While Van de Beeks sat on the bench scratching his head, do we need two wasp like players with no attacking input in midfield or just one?

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 316 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Man Utd 2:0 Arsenal
  • 22% Man Utd 2:1 Arsenal