PL D FA Premier League

Arsenal 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 January 2021

Okey

Disappointing result. Just like Liverpool, you felt they were there to be had. Our attack is struggling massively, if that's not an understatement. Really bad timing to start firing blanks.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The team is desperately lacking balance without a right-sided attacker. It's just an assumption from my side but I reckon the team is scared of losing more than going all out for a win.

SirScholes

this is possibly even worse than the last game. we used to come back strong from defeats, but now it's 'okay it safe and try not to lose'. but let's be honest, we've been dreadful for a while now.

We're looking now and more like the back end of last season when we were tired and scraping through games until we weren't.

Just like then, there's no rotation, no subs no changes and no ideas. we're trying the same stuff with the same people and running players into the ground.

at some point, Ole needs to give others a run out - even if we don't win, we're not winning at the moment, and giving Rashford, Fernandes etc a couple of games off might give us a long term boost.
We’ve rotated quite a lot this season and we lost one sub due to injury in Scott, bringing martial in which took a sub option away from the strikers
Then Greenwood came on

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Can’t be arsed reading the inevitable hysteria but is anyone else ok with that result?

Arsenal have finally hit some form and got some decent results. Think they’re technically most in form team in the league? I think we just about shaded the game and generally played fairly well. Which was good to see after dire midweek display. Not a bad point at the end of the day. I’ll take it.
I am. But I guess this makes me a fan with low ambitions as if my ambitions are related to United‘s success.
However people who predicted us to finish outside top 4 after the summer transfer window but after some good results changed their mind and expected a title challenge are devastated by that result. Bless them.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We could have lost that fairly easily and they were missing players. Rashford awful again. Such a frustrating player he’s become! One good match in 10 basically. That one match he’s unstoppable but his base level is not good enough. He doesn’t create anything. Martial was tackling today at least. I don’t know... we weren’t going to win the league because we didn’t back the manager or attempt to fill the holes in the squad.I understand the squad is expensive as it is but we are still clearly lacking in vital positions. Diallo looks like he’s going to be a good player. It’s a mixed bag these days...

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
If Ole wants to imitate Sir Alex then he should be gambling a lot more for wins with more progressive and attacking line-ups.

Anyway, most of us would have taken this league position at the start of the season.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I know we're all ready to chuckle ironically when it goes to shit and say OF COURSE we knew we weren't in the title race but at the moment we are and I'm looking for signs that Ole and the lads believe it. That performance would have been fine on the back of a win the other night but nothing about tonight said they believe they're in this.

Judas

Open to offers
Fred makes me massively nervous. Then to have him in front of Maguire and Lindelof? It's just asking for trouble.

Also our passing out from the back is so bad, it's not improving, and the fact we persist with it is staggering.

Dominos

I thought we played pretty well first half to be honest - they didn't really have any chances and we controlled the game and had the moments to score, just not clinical enough.

2nd half was absoutely shite.

Not the worst result, Arsenal were the form team coming in.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Shaw turns into the English Dani Alves. Just incredible season for Chub2.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We were the better side but not by much so a draw was probably a fair result. We did have the better chances with Cavani and Rashford the most obvious. On another day we score one or two.

I cringed when Martial had to come on as I thought Pogba in the front 3 gave us a better attack. And I really wanted Martial to suffer on the bench because of his last few appearances. I wonder why Pogba did not start on the left and Rashford on the right. Not sure it would have made a big difference though.

In the next 4 PL matches Man City play Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham and if they get 7 or more points, then I would think they will be clear favorites for the title. If they lose 2, then it gets interesting.

AWB needs to stop committing fouls in dangerous areas.

Pogba played really well and I hate to think where we will be if we lose him in the summer.

city-puma

If Ole wants to imitate Sir Alex then he should be gambling a lot more for wins with more progressive and attacking line-ups.

Anyway, most of us would have taken this league position at the start of the season.
In the second, arse brought on William to target our right side channel. Pogba just simply wasn’t able to match their work rate, and wasn’t good in positioning as well. We should feel fortunate to get a point. Really hope Ole can realize Pogba can’t play there in some certain games. McT is a huge loss today.

Superunknown

I thought we played pretty well first half to be honest - they didn't really have any chances and we controlled the game and had the moments to score, just not clinical enough.

2nd half was absoutely shite.

Not the worst result, Arsenal were the form team coming in.
Definitely agree with your points about the contrast between the first and second half. We were in the right areas in that first half but too many moves broke down in the final third or we didn't make the most of the opportunities. Second was terrible. First half performance wasn't a classic from us at all and it was very slow and sloppy at times, but at least we looked like something could happen.

I often think that it just looks like we lack a clear gameplan. We rely too much on individual luck or brilliance, hence why Rashford sometimes overplays things and makes a mess of moves when he's in a great position.

dove

Just as expected. Trying same things over and over again hoping it will work. Defense massively exposed as always because we choose to play with no midfield.

Giggzy P

feck me, I feel like I was watching a different game seeing the posts in here.
I am disappointed with the result but that was a great game of football, the first time under Ole I've seen us apply an organised press, especially in the first half, mostly our press is just players chasing after the ball.
Thought we created chances and probably should have won the game.
The olny Two issues that keep bothering me are Rashford's decision making is still shit which, with the number of games his played for us,should really be better, also Ole doesn't seem to what to change much if we not losing, his mentality seems to be , don't lose.

MikeeMike

Too many players performing sub par. Shaw on fire. AwB looks sharp and amazing quick interplays. Even CB’s hitting some kind of consistency.

Now Pogba,Martial, Rash and today Cavani and Bruno off.

So frustrating as we had chances to win

ManUtd1999

1. In itself, a draw away at Arsenal is not a bad result. But, it feels so because of loss to Sheffield.

2. We cannot score goals against the top teams, let alone beat them.

3. The title race is not over. City will soon return to the Champions League and I expect (or at least hope) that the pressure to win it would give us an opening. They will drop points.

4. We got to top or close to top of the table despite zero wins against the top teams. We did so because of good results in most of other fixtures. If we can replicate that in the second half of the season, then we will stay in it, maybe until the end. Having said that, we may need to get a win or two against these top teams.

5. I remain optimistic overall, but we have to return to the winning form.

You could include the City Carabao loss too. 0-2.
Zero goals in 6 games.
That too. In fact, other than our FA win over Liverpool and the draw with LC, we haven't shown much against these teams (not to mention the loss to Tottenham).

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
While we are going through a predictable inconsistent spell, the good news is that we are nowhere near as dire as we have been in previous dips. Perhaps that means it won't last as long either

vanrooney

Taken in islotion, 1 point isn't too bad a result.
But when you consider that we have scored 1 point from 6, in our last 2 league games. And also I heard the commentator say that we have won only 1 game in the last 4 league games (since hitting top spot).
We also know that MCFC are hitting top gear, now.
LCFC could win against Leeds tomorrow and if they do, they'll overtake us in the league.
Take all of this into account and you can see how bad it's looking for us.
1. never said one point is good enough - only said we should have won, were the better team and had the better chances.
2. yes we lost and drew our last two games - not good but we also won 6 and drew 2 the previous 8. not that bad and as i said we were never the top favorit for the title, it was always city and pool. in fact most on here thought we would struggle to get top4 not so long ago. now after 2 bad results everything is shit again.

Judas

Open to offers
If we see Rashford starting on the right wing on Tuesday, I might turn the tv off. Not even being dramatic. There's no reason Ole can keep watching his performances there and thinking its worth persisting with. It's a total waste.

always_hoping

I think the bigger question is, will we ever score against a top team in the league ever again?
Scored twice against Leicester whom are one of the top teams and will finish the season ahead of Arsenal. West Ham and Everton may finish the season ahead of Arsenal and United scored 6 goals against those teams this season.

kerrygold

Supports
united
Unless it’s some type of break or counter I’m not sure they know what to do in the final third. Only Cavani moves around it seems.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
A draw away to Arsenal is not the worst result but we need to pick up every single point from the lower sides now if we want to keep up with City. Because they Will grind and grind and grind out results like today and we Will have to find a way to do the same just like first half of the season.

Do I think it’s possible? Maybe. I do think Southampton at home is a perfect match to start a new winning streak. They’re not in the best form recently and a win would be a good mental boost for the team.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Ole's attempt to score more goals with a weird 4-4-2 amazes me. Not even a proper 4-4-2. Not sure what it was. Perhaps designed to actually get a draw at the Emirates. Which of course would have been nice/acceptable if Oiled City didn't exist. Of course, they defeated Sheffield, of course.

Redinkenya

Another match day, another stalemate. I remember when we used to hemorrhage goals. Now our defense is okay, but we can't seem to score. We get the ball, but we don't know what do with it in the final third.

passing-wind

The team is desperately lacking balance without a right-sided attacker. It's just an assumption from my side but I reckon the team is scared of losing more than going all out for a win.
Clearly many need this drilled into their heads because pinning our hopes for the future on Grealish is not going to work. We need a right winger in the summer that should be without a question.

Wing Attack Plan R

Open top bus parade through city victory celebrations canceled. We've been punching above our weight with this squad and the last two matches have shown we just don't have the guile necessary to be serious contenders.

A lot of finger pointing but most of it would have been forgotten had Cavani placed either one of his chances. Had Rashford or Martial missed those two chances people would have tarred and feathered them, but since it's Cavani... crickets. I think Fred was his usual self. Yes, today he was sloppy and ineffective, but that's his standard performance. We need better midfielders. Subbing on Martial for McTominay made no sense and didn't work in any case.

This squad could use some freshening up. Arsenal picked up Odegaard and you'd think there are similar deals out there to be had. We need a right-sided attacker, surely there's one out there in the world?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Can’t be arsed reading the inevitable hysteria but is anyone else ok with that result?

Arsenal have finally hit some form and got some decent results. Think they’re technically most in form team in the league? I think we just about shaded the game and generally played fairly well. Which was good to see after dire midweek display. Not a bad point at the end of the day. I’ll take it.
The result in itself wasn't bad but after the SU game peoples frustrations are just being carried over. I actually thought todays game was pretty entertaining even if the quality wasn't there. Seen a lot worse 0-0s from us.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

I'll take it just because Arsenal are our bogey team and its better than the defeat I expected. It predictably went the same way every recent game has against them.

stu_1992

Disappointed with the second half in particular as I thought we were decent enough first half. But second half we let them take control for parts of thsy half and the start of the second half in particular was tough to watch. A bit of a flat end and performance overall. Need a reaction versus Southampton.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 252 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Arsenal 1:3 Man Utd