PL D FA Premier League

Arsenal 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 January 2021

Redfrog

My only complaint to Ole is to trust too much Martial when he doesn't deserves it by his performances. He get in when Greenwood would have been better and would have allowed to Rashford to play on the left too.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Wow - lots of negativity on here about the performance. I think we played well. It certainly wasn't a classic, but think we deserved 3 points more that Arsenal did and they were the home team. Cavani should have had two today, difficult chances but ones you'd expect him to put away - or at least of them. On to the next one.

Redfrog

Its infuriating how many chances and plays Rashford fecks up on a consistent basis every single game. Whats more infuriating is that nothing is being done to fix this.
Rashford is not great right now but he has some chances. On the other hand, Martial is so poor he has nothing to feck up.
We are very light in attack. Behind Rashford, Cavani and Martial we have no one. Greenwood is still too young to rely on. So when our so called starting attacker in Martial has a dog shit season we have no one. We can't relly on Rashford every game. The burden has to be shared and Martial let us down badly this year as he had no impact at all. We need at least 2 top class forwards to put some fire up front ! And that with Cavani still in the team !
Players have to fight for their place no matter their name or reputation. That is why City will win the title most of the time. They paid for Laporte a fortune and he is now on the bench because another former expansive flop is now performing better then him. 70 millions Mahrez is on the bench most of the time.
And a lot of people think we can't have too many good players, that's crazy !
We don't need Matas or James of this world who are not good enough, we need players who will perform better then our attack to make them fight for their spot. I don't care about their feelings. If they can't handle the competition and need a guarenteed starting place they need to move to a smaller club.
People should just look at how it did some good to Pogba to sit on the bench. Now, he has no choice then perform to be on the pitch.

croadyman

Wow - lots of negativity on here about the performance. I think we played well. It certainly wasn't a classic, but think we deserved 3 points more that Arsenal did and they were the home team. Cavani should have had two today, difficult chances but ones you'd expect him to put away - or at least of them. On to the next one.
Best to accept we are in the pack fighting for 3rd and City plus maybe the scousers will eventually pull away from everyone

Jericholyte2

I can remember seeing such a cowardly bunch of players in United shirts!

Countless times we defend corners or free kicks, get the ball out and then just stay where we are at the edge of our box! They refuse to push out and put pressure on the opponent!

Such poor coaching, we all knew it was only a matter of time before our luck ran out! I believe Ole has well and truly hit his ceiling as a manager.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Two teams struggling to become relevant again. Looked a midtable match devoid of quality or spirit.

macheda14

Countless times we defend corners or free kicks, get the ball out and then just stay where we are at the edge of our box! They refuse to push out and put pressure on the opponent!

Such poor coaching, we all knew it was only a matter of time before our luck ran out! I believe Ole has well and truly hit his ceiling as a manager.
Have you watched us for the last what 7/8 years? We have been more cowardly than this. Admittedly a lot of the players are the same so as I write this I realise I’m probably in agreement?

Offsideagain

Rashford is not great right now but he has some chances. On the other hand, Martial is so poor he has nothing to feck up.
We are very light in attack. Behind Rashford, Cavani and Martial we have no one. Greenwood is still too young to rely on. So when our so called starting attacker in Martial has a dog shit season we have no one. We can't relly on Rashford every game. The burden has to be shared and Martial let us down badly this year as he had no impact at all. We need at least 2 top class forwards to put some fire up front ! And that with Cavani still in the team !
Players have to fight for their place no matter their name or reputation. That is why City will win the title most of the time. They paid for Laporte a fortune and he is now on the bench because another former expansive flop is now performing better then him. 70 millions Mahrez is on the bench most of the time.
And a lot of people think we can't have too many good players, that's crazy !
We don't need Matas or James of this world who are not good enough, we need players who will perform better then our attack to make them fight for their spot. I don't care about their feelings. If they can't handle the competition and need a guarenteed starting place they need to move to a smaller club.
People should just look at how it did some good to Pogba to sit on the bench. Now, he has no choice then perform to be on the pitch.
Fred is in form?
I had Fred as my MOTM. Pity he can’t shoot though. The issue is attitude in my book. All of them just strolled around hoping Bruno would work the magic. The Gooners were no great shakes either. There was no urgency, no grit from us. It seems a malaise has descended onto the team. Tiredness perhaps. Maybe sticking a youngster or two in to run around would get them going. Southampton will be a difficult game we may not win.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I had Fred as my MOTM. Pity he can’t shoot though. The issue is attitude in my book. All of them just strolled around hoping Bruno would work the magic. The Gooners were no great shakes either. There was no urgency, no grit from us. It seems a malaise has descended onto the team. Tiredness perhaps. Maybe sticking a youngster or two in to run around would get them going. Southampton will be a difficult game we may not win.
That's why it might be good to get Amad Diallo in the first team squad as soon as possible. Just as a breath of fresh air.

AFC NimbleThumb

Really wish he would show some faith in Donny. When Scott went off, I would have gone with Donny as the sub.
In what basis? The fact he played well for Ajax.

I wouldn’t have bought Martial on personally but Donny has done nothing to warrant ‘faith’.

I can understand why OgS went to with what he knew over a player fans rate more the less he plays.

Redfrog

If attitude is a problem we need competition in the team so there will be much less complenency in the team. You don't perform you are on the bench, that is as simple as that.
Yeah, Martial will sulk but he is already sulking because Cavani took his place as the main striker. So if is not happy w could still send him in a training boot camp for a while to put his head straight that way !

OrcaFat

We mainly took it to them and had a lot of the ball and we managed to get it into the box a few times. Not many of our guys had a stinker. I don’t see why we can’t pick it up that extra notch that will get us winning again.

Keeping the clean sheet was good, that’s how City managed to beat Sheff U today. Think it will come together over the next game or two. Shame we haven’t strengthened at all this window but still no reason we can’t go close to the title.

RORY65

I was worried about this game in advance so getting a point isn't a bad result, albeit that worry was before I realised 3 of their best players were missing but I think the result in midweek obviously makes today seem worse as we're dropping back more towards the fight for top 4. I was never convinced we were in a title race, I'm not sure we have the squad (or manager, sadly) to match City or Liverpool, when closer to full strength, over a league season.

The quality from both sides wasn't great but for us the main frustration today was the first 20 minutes of the second half when we were really sluggish. We weren't great for the first 30 minutes but we were somewhat inhibited by only having 10 fit players and once we made the change I thought we were the better side for the rest of the first half and felt at half time as if the game was there for the taking, they're not great and we had perked up but we just didn't turn up for the start of the 2nd half and we never got back on top again even if we did come in to it more as the game went on. Not a terrible performance or result by any means but not particularly good either.

croadyman

Know many will say this sounds harsh but does feel like he has hit his ceiling, yes we were much better in these games last season but the pressure is very different now and that is telling

PeteManic

5 points dropped in a week. Pep will be sat laughing into his glass of cava tonight.

Cloud7

Didn’t get to watch the match, but purely on a results basis this wasn’t good at all for us.

Amerifan

When Bruno’s tired the team plays tired. He needs a rest to get the team back in top form.

UmbroDays

1 goal (pen) against the traditional top 6 teams so far (2 including Leicester)

I think it's clear that whatever Ole and the coaching staff are doing is simply not working against the bigger teams and there needs to be a change somewhere.

Today was super frustrating as after Wednesday we should have shown Liverpool, City, Leicester, Spurs, etc. that we do have the cajones to battle for the Premiership and top 4. But just lacklustre and really poor performance that doesn't give me much confidence that this team is ready to fight for the Premiership for many years to come.

Last edited:

Monkey bus

Know many will say this sounds harsh but does feel like he has hit his ceiling, yes we were much better in these games last season but the pressure is very different now and that is telling
When you say hit his ceiling you’re taking into account we beat Liverpool comfortably less than a week ago and were top of the league in midweek right?
We also got battered in today’s fixture last season.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I think the big teams have realised that they were playing into our hands and they've changed tack and we're found wanting because they're good enough that we can't break them down.

Let us go rampant on the counter and we'll tear you limb from limb so instead counter us and force us to take the initiative and we're limp as anything.

None of our forward line are in good form. When that's the case we won't score goals.

Only plus point is we didn't concede because we normally do.

Eddy_JukeZ

I feel like the big 6 managers have completely figured out Ole.

Our performances vs the big 6 this season are unacceptable.

Andersonson

Think a draw was fair, and we didnt play badly. Against Arsenal in form that isnt a bad results.

Doesnt matter if we're chasing City or not, there's still plenty to play for. This isnt the game we need to win, its the west hams, sheff utds etc. A draw here is not fantastic, but its good enough.

The pleasing thing is that we looked like scoring again and we certainly was bad. We could've won and nobody would say it was undeserved if we won. So thats something to bring on to the next game.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
My perspective as a Gooner.

It’s funny how 2 opposing fans can watch the same game and come away with different conclusions.

When I saw we were without Tierney, Saka and Auba, I feared the worst. I was happy for a draw before so, but even more so when I realised our 3 best players were missing.

I agree with Roy Keane, we were there for the taking. So, tonight I’m content with a draw but honestly I felt we had the better chances to win.

Anyway, as far as the title goes, it’s hard to look beyond City. They have the best squad and play the best football, if we‘re being honest.

Irwinning

Whole team needs a City style week off to be honest.
Thats a good point actually.

Ole should mandate that the team all get the coof so we can have a rest and he can go back to the drawing board and grow a pair of balls.

Mr Smith

Made enough chances to win comfortably, forwards let us down. Ultimately it will cost us the league. The question now is how to go to the next level. Are our forwards off form or just not good enough?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
A draw at Arsenal away is ok-ish result, if only we didn't feck up against Shefield at home.

Polar

Descent result, but it was a slow match with low intensity. Arsenal was weak, especially their pressure, but we wasn’t able to play fast and take advantage of the situation. Instead we slowed down to much.

I felt something went wrong when McT went of. Not because he was so good, but because Pogba was moved further back on the pitch. Before that I was happy with Ole playing Pogba a little bit more offensive. In that position he brought us something we’ve missed. I saw some positive signs.

AWB and Shaw looks really fit and in good shape now. They are very quick and have good drive on the pitch.

Sorry I can’t say the same about Rashford. Almost can’t believe what I see. What is happening? Everything seems wrong: his touch, finishing, decisions, body language. Seems like he needs a long break.

The positive is that I think we have reached our bottom level, and that level could’ve been worse. From now our performance can only go upward.

James Peril

Not the worst game tactically, but finally we can put this «we’re winning the league»-nonsense to bed. We arent’t good enough for that, the team isn’t coached well enough. If Cavani scores we’re super happy, if Lacazette scores we’re in dire straits. All in all a shite game no team wanted to lose, Arsenal have got a pretty decent setup and that’s how it will end when we don’t risk anything. We do not sustain any pressure, we do not play around any team, it’s individual build-ups and very good players finding some room when it’s there.

We’re fun to watch when we doing shit and have to just play on adrenaline... but in general, Man Utd under Solskjær isn’t very entertaining. Sorry to say. That being said, not a lot of teams are very fun to watch these days in any league.

croadyman

When you say hit his ceiling you’re taking into account we beat Liverpool comfortably less than a week ago and were top of the league in midweek right?
We also got battered in today’s fixture last season.
I just think as some other posters have said Ole has been figured out in the big games and teams aren't playing the same way in these fixtures this season

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 252 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Arsenal 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Arsenal 1:3 Man Utd