PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Arsenal

Post-match discussion

Thu, 02 December 2021

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
We started slow just like against Chelsea. But we took control of the match later.
Its players getting used to the high press.

I though Fred and McT played well.
Maguire was lucky not to concede a penalty.

Looking forward to Sunday. I expect a much changed team.

mav_9me

It does look like Fred will be a key player under Rangnick too with his energy. He is playing a different role in the last 3 games under Carrick compared to under ole.

Which leaves us with figuring out the other midfielder, the sitting midfielder. Hopefully someone in Jan.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I agree.
But the ref swallowed his pride in the end which was important. He was open to being corrected. I'm assuming Refs can overrule VAR decisions if they don't agree with them?
Not that I claim to be up-to-date with VAR but from what we've seen, they only advise refs to check decisions this season, the ref always has the last word.

It seems that this season, whenever a ref gets advised, it's very likely a decision is overturned which is what we saw here.

In any case, I'm over the moon with the win and cannot wait to hear Rangnick's thoughts on the way forward.

Gator Nate

3 points. Results matter.

Thought we were generally the better team after the first goal.

Thought it was odd that Sancho and Rashford were reversed, but... results matter.

Fred was my MotM just because I thought he did more good things overall than Ronaldo's two goals, one of which he assisted on. Sure, he makes mistakes, but I think, on the whole, he usually has more positives.

Rangnick has his work cut out, sorting through whatever mess happened this fall - Ole was getting a tune out of these instruments until this season. But I think he knows what he's getting into. This team could be very good.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Just saw the pulldown of Tomayasu by Maguire. He got away with one there, shades of Smalling.

Hope he warms bench.

Gums

I‘m a bit surprised about the many positive views here. If I hadn‘t watched it, I would‘ve assumed a 3:2 scoreline must‘ve been entertaining, a back and forth or similar. I thought it was quite dull for most of the game. Although, if you consider slapstick entertaining, I‘d agree with that.

At least we have the excuse that pressure is high, confidence is shot, and we are just cautiously trying to make it through alive until our new (interim) manager arrives. What‘s Arsenal‘s excuse? I can‘t believe they hope to be knocking on Europe‘s door.

All that being said, 3 points and days away from the club and our team implementing systems that will hopefully show how good our squad can be on a consistent basis. Good enough for me. Bring it.

bosskeano

based on form alone, Arsenal and their supporters had to have felt good about coming into OT and getting a result

we, i mean DeGea, gifted them their first goal bc he decided to be a big giant twat and lie on the ground b/c he got his toe stepped on. After that, it felt like United just took control of the match and knew that they had to come away wiht the three points.

Sancho was solid again which is good to see that he's finding his feet but what in the fuk is wrong with Rashford?

lex talionis

I’m gobsmacked at the outstanding performance we put in v Arsenal. No, it wasn’t a vintage performance and Liverpool can sleep well at night knowing they’re still miles ahead of us, but we toughed it out and fully deserved the win.

Props to Carrick for his outstanding interim management.

As for the players, Ronaldo proved today he’s still ridiculous. Dalot and Telles were fantastic. Fred was a bit shambolic but was involved in two of our goals.

We can complain that we’re still miles behind the top three, but there can be no complaints about our overall performance today. Ralf has something to work with, but he’s got a lot of work to do to clean up the mess Ole left behind.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
This is hard to say for me but there might be a player in there with Fred. We still need some better mids of course.

- First goal was legit, DdG should not have rolled around. When I think of great GKs like Kahn and Schmeichal, they would never go down that easy.
- I thought VdB should have come in for Bruno earlier because Bruno lost the ball needlessly a few times.
- Telles and Dalot were good and it's great to see we have depth in those positions.
- 800 goals is amazing. Congrats Ronny.

Onwards and upwards, let's smash CP.

Alek M

Da manic one
Got the result

but we did not control the game

arsenal was wasteful, Bruno too

Rashy was awful

De gea, get up son

Last edited:

VictoriaRed

Fred is shite and then good, and then shite and then good in the span of 30 seconds! Does my head in!

bonothom

De Gea is one of the weakest goalies ever. To go down like that just cos his little tootsies had been stood on and to let them score was utterly pathetic. He needs to be dropped for that incident alone. Could have cost United the win. Oh and if Rangnick can't see there's a better solution than playing both Fred and McTominay things will not change. Both Mctominay and Fred were to blame for Arsenal's second as neither tracked the scorer.

HaliRed

Felt both of the key decisions were called right after VAR reviewed them.

Jim Beglin, with trademark scouse bias, predictably cried foul after the penalty was given but it was a pretty clear pen.

Fred was outstanding. He could become a big player for us under Rangnick.
Beglin was claiming Fred planted his leg knowing he would be hit. Called it clever. The mind boggles.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I‘m a bit surprised about the many positive views here. If I hadn‘t watched it, I would‘ve assumed a 3:2 scoreline must‘ve been entertaining, a back and forth or similar. I thought it was quite dull for most of the game. Although, if you consider slapstick entertaining, I‘d agree with that.

At least we have the excuse that pressure is high, confidence is shot, and we are just cautiously trying to make it through alive until our new (interim) manager arrives. What‘s Arsenal‘s excuse? I can‘t believe they hope to be knocking on Europe‘s door.

All that being said, 3 points and days away from the club and our team implementing systems that will hopefully show how good our squad can be on a consistent basis. Good enough for me. Bring it.
That's the most positive takeaway I got. We've managed to stop the freefall with 4 points where you could easily see us get none.

+

If that's our competitors' standard we'll be fine.

VivaUnited21

Needed this win! So happy and excited for the future now, look.. I know it's only Arsenal, but this is a platform that we can now build upon, with Ralf taking the reigns now surely we can start to challenge for big things, I'm not saying we're gonna win the league or the CL (maybe the FA Cup) but we can get back to winning ways and play decent football at least and we as fans need this too, we have been in the biggest shitshow since Sir Alex retired, it's been sickening to watch our great club drop like a sack of spuds. hopefully now is our time to put that behind us and move on.

The future is exciting

croadyman

Much needed win over them after the last few seasons has been draws or gooner wins

downunder red

The best thing to come out of the game for me was our two fullbacks. Both have more to offer in attack. With better coaching and more game time, I can see them being our first choice defenders.

cyril C

It does look like Fred will be a key player under Rangnick too with his energy. He is playing a different role in the last 3 games under Carrick compared to under ole.

Which leaves us with figuring out the other midfielder, the sitting midfielder. Hopefully someone in Jan.
Can you elaborate on what is the difference? Fred was responsible for the 2nd goal as well but made up for the error in the last 2 goals. Fred has plenty of energy but was practically useless this season under Ole. It wasn't just Fred, count Maguire, Shaw, AWB, and McTom as well, out of form and out of shape.

Daengophile

This game will go down in the annals of time as the end of an era. A short but nevertheless successful era.

I hope Carrick has made the right choice for his career and not letting his heart decide.

Working with Ferguson, van Gaal, Mourinho and Rangnick would have made for an intriguing CV

Maybe he wants some time away from football

Maybe he sees his own football ethos as diametrically opposed to Rangnick

Maybe what happened to OGS soured him on the hierarchy

Maybe he didn't seem himself being a manager having had his stint

Maybe he has another role lined up

Whatever the reason, may the gods of football shine on him

Laurencio

We were inconsistent, but my word we played well at times.The pressing was miles better, especially towards the end of the first half, but we did have a few incidents were a player messed up and broke the press - much better than before though. There was visible improvement in our defending, pressing and ability to keep the ball. There is still a lot of work to be done in the build up and defensive organisation, but this was a massive improvement. If we keep improving like this week for week we'll do well this season after all.

Dalot was top notch expecting him to challenge AWB for that starting spot now.

Oh, and Ronaldo can and is willing to press - it's Christmas time!

DON’T PANIC ™

I think the nature of the first goal changed the game. The whole team appeared more galvanised and looked to drive forward a lot quicker than we have seen all season. The players obviously felt, rightly or wrongly, that an injustice had been done, and that spurred them on as a group.
Hopefully RR can tap into this for the remainder of the season.

GueRed

Better performances from individuals, specifically key players Maguire and Bruno...

Collectively we still looked an absolute shambles at times.

Ralf has got his work cut out.

Cloud7

So glad that we beat them. Never mind that it was a very much needed three points, it just felt good to beat Arsenal again.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
To be honest yesterday was pretty much similar under Solskjaer. I thought Telles & Dalot were an improvement in terms of their positional work to WB & Shaw and we were much better organized at the back as a result. The pressing still looked haphazardly compared to the likes of shitty and the scousers, the new manager has a lot of work in his hands.
Sancho looks like a proper player, he just oozes class & quality.

Mike Smalling

Man, we needed that. The three points, beating Arsenal and a great moral booster. Not a perfect performance, but another step in the right direction.

It was the first game in ages, where I felt like we would definitely win it, even when it was 1-1 and 2-2. It felt like the belief was back.

GMoore23

Unbelievable that we've been so bad this season, we're below that shower of shite in the table.

Zen86

It was sad watching the pre-match buildup of the early 2000s games between United and Arsenal. Those were the days. So much passion and fire that’s lacking these days. And to think those characteristics are actually ridiculed in the current game.

Okey

Why did Rashford stay on that pitch? Why did Rashford stay on the right side of that pitch? Why are we playing Sancho left?
I nearly had a coronary screaming this for the last 60 minutes! Anyway, it didn't cost us in the end. Great result. Everyone out a proper shift in. Can't praise Carrick enough for the brief but excellent job he's done. Wishing him well for the future. Looking forward to the Ralf era now. Can't wait for Sunday.

bondsname

The atmosphere was terrific… the crowd signing Viva Ronaldo gave me goosebumps.

Relfy

Good win that, which was all that mattered pre-game. We needed a result and the 3 points to help build some momentum. We need to follow that up now against Palace this weekend, and start building over the Xmas period. Our squad is deeper than most of those around us, and these next few weeks could be key for us over the course of the season. We need to get points on the board quickly and have a strong second half of the season.

I thought Dalot played well. Good recoveries, made some good interceptions and looked a threat going forward at times too. Maguire was more composed than recent form would suggest, though it could easily have been a penalty for Arsenal when he pulled their player to the ground. Sancho seems to be looking more at home - I expect him to get a good run of games now. Rashford is lacking something right now, out of form, and probably needs to come out the side for a game or two. I've no worries about him long-term, he's too good not to get back into form, but maybe needs to be replaced as a starter for the weekend. As for Ronaldo, what more can you say about him? 801 goals is just outrageous.

I'm looking forward to seeing what changes Ralf will make. I can't see his high pressing style being implemented overnight, and there isn't a huge amount of time to spend the hours required on the training ground to change our entire style of play. I think the first task is to guide us through the next few games and slowly incorporate his plans.

Onwards and upwards.

stu_1992

A good watch to be fair. Was nice to get a win for Carrick's last game, plus we obviously need to start picking up points as soon as possible if we're to get into that top 4. Always nice to beat Arsenal too.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 291 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Man Utd 2:1 Arsenal
  • 19% Man Utd 2:0 Arsenal