PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Arsenal

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 September 2022

DevilRed

Listening to Ten Hag post game, seems like the intent are never to drop off. He did lament the fact that we lost our composure after the disallowed goal and somehow couldn't get back to the way we played the first 15 minutes.

I think right now, like Ten Hag said, it's just a matter of players keeping their composure which is why I hope with every win we gain more confidence which will allow our players not to easily get rattled and have the confidence to play their football no matter what's happening.
Thats been a major issue with us for years now.

We sometimes start brightly but can never sustain it. When we had weaker players, we'd always concede before the half or right after half time.

Today was similar, except it was after the halftime whistle and everybody and their nans knew they would come at us. Except this time around we had the character to push forwards and get the two goals to kill off the game. Rightfully so because their backline is woeful.

Bunch of hype and possession merchants is all.

tjb

understat had the xG on Rashford's second as 0.52, and on Saka's goal as 0.47 - both looked almost certain goals, I would have guessed 0.75+. Does anyone know why it's so low?
Because xG is a useless stat

stu_1992

Great game, great result. One of the first times in a long time I had a decent feeling about us, but you never know who will turn up. Delighted we won though. Fantastic battling performance, and did them on the counter. We were ruthless when we got our attacks in.

Antony was very impressive it has to be said, took his goal very well. Some flair, but more importantly put a shift in defensively. Eriksen very impressive, pulling strings for us. Rashford is looking back to close to his best, although it remains to be seen how he does against more low blocks teams.

I do hope Rashford and Martinez aren't seriously inured though. Both key right now.

Okey

That was good wasn't it? We belong again. How good does it feel? Viva United!!!

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Lots of the players look so much better that it has been legitimately difficult to pick MotM for the last 4 matches. McTominay stuck out to me for the entire match, but ultimately I picked Rashford because 2 goals and an assist in a 3-1 match is difficult to beat.

I think there are legitimate arguments for McTominay, Eriksen and Bruno for MotM. Varane and Martinez were very good as well. The left side of the defence was beaten a few times but Saka is one of the best wide forwards in the PL, so I thought they did very well under the circumstances.
Yeah, Malacia was clearly struggling against Saka despite all his efforts, but it was great to see that he was always backed by other players and there were 2-3 players most of the time to pick up after him, when he got beat.

This was a real team win, defense was team efforst, every goal was a team effort, which makes it 10x more valuable.

DevilRed

You could be right, it's subjective. The main thing is, it is a foul and all these pundits calling for VAR to be binned are more concerned with a decision going United's way than whether it was right.
Pay no heed to these pundits. Its their job to stay relevant and to do that you need to speak about Manchester United.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Keane winding every one up:

“we’ve given arsenal a lot of plaudits today but I was never interested in that, I was interest in the points.”

Merson: “yeah but there’s a way to lose Roy, you don’t mind losing like that”

“oh great, have a sing along on the way home then”
No way, anyone have a video of this?

DevilRed

Keane winding every one up:

“we’ve given arsenal a lot of plaudits today but I was never interested in that, I was interest in the points.”

Merson: “yeah but there’s a way to lose Roy, you don’t mind losing like that”

“oh great, have a sing along on the way home then”
fecking legend :lol:

You know that merson shrunk back into his chair after that. The grimey cnut :lol:

tjb

Thick and or anti-United. You just know one of big calls for us will be biased by this
I think people underestimate how big of a thing this is.
We are viewed as massive and big money spenders who are not blowing people away with our football quite yet.
We have the most fans, some of whom might annoy other fanbases and our team dominated and humiliated many ex-players, who are pundits now.
United are also a massive story and a comment or statement either positive or negative gets views.

Most of these pundits and journalists criticized our transfers.
A lot of them made jokes about Martinez and criticized the price of Casemire, Martinez and Antony.
They mostly predicted that we would implode.
Even our ex-players were very cautious on how they talked about United.
Ronaldo is also a massive story, and they have been chomping at the bit for a story there.
You also have the English bias that is clear toward Maguire and Shaw and us currently not playing them.
Add all these things together and you have pundits and journalists who need United to blow teams away before any praise is given out.
Spurs could have the same performance and they would be credited.
Why? Because no one cares about Spurs. Comments were barely made about them prior, so any change in opinion based on performance doesn't really matter.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Happy as Larry after that. Sure we had the run of the green but there’s nothing wrong with that! They were bidding possession but when they exposed their defence we took advantage. Sure we are still well off where we want to be but we are getting there.I believe we will only get better!
Great day.

Glorio

Gary Neville has managed to convince everyone that Arsenal were the better team - I disagree. They played prettier football in parts but we were incredibly effective in the way we approached the game and could have had more.

MinGin

I just don’t think we are quite there yet. I don’t think we have the personnel either. I watched Arsenal pass and move today and I can’t say that I wouldn’t be surprised to see us play like that with any frequency.

Martial returning will make an enormous difference to this team though. Our attacking play will get significantly better once he’s back up front.
Arsenal was playing a very high line to overload us in the midfield in this match.
So why we need to copy their tactics when we all watched and knew the SAF tactic against old Arsenal "let them attack, they will be exploded by themselves, then play a direct and deadly football, then job done and 3pts"

RedOrange

Yeah, Malacia was clearly struggling against Saka despite all his efforts, but it was great to see that he was always backed by other players and there were 2-3 players most of the time to pick up after him, when he got beat.

This was a real team win, defense was team efforst, every goal was a team effort, which makes it 10x more valuable.
I have no way of knowing but it looked like Malacia's top priority was not to let Saka cut inside under any circumstances, let Martinez and Varane worry about the crosses and McTominay cover the cutbacks. Arsenal favor the right side and had a lot of the ball. Saka got a lot of opportunities to run with the ball at Malacia and he's a fantastic winger, so it's not surprising that Malacia was beaten a few times. Credit to him to, because a lot of players get discouraged and stop trying after getting beaten and he didn't do that at all.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Don't know if it's partly where we haven't had a reliable ball playing midfielder in so long, but Eriksen to me just looks absolute quality. Has that ability to make passing the ball and finding space look like the easiest thing on earth.

Glorio

HAHAHA, it is so enjoyable to see Arsenal Forum.
They kept saying that they played a dominated football (But 2 big chance created (We made 5) and only 3 shot on target(We made 6)) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Exactly this

tjb

Gary Neville has managed to convince everyone that Arsenal were the better team - I disagree. They played prettier football in parts but we were incredibly effective in the way we approached the game and could have had more.
Arsenal have had way better games against us and lost.
I don't think they were that fantastic.
Their forward line impressed me ( Saka, Jesus and Martinelli).
However, they didn't cut us open nearly as much as is being made out.
It's not our fault they didn't try from distance more often.
De Gea barely made any saves.
I actually feel we were more threatening in the moments we attacked them ( particularly in the first 15 minutes) than they were at any point in the game. They simply just had longer stretches of the game with the ball

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
This was the validation we needed to show everyone United is back and we mean business. Validation feels soo damn good. Bring on the next one. :drool:

Fully Fledged

Great result and 4 wins in a row! We were a little fortunate to win this afternoon, I thought Arsenal were great in periods of the game, they just lacked the finishing touch and we exploited that excellently, especially Rashford and Fernandes. Great debut by Antony, a really fun display from him, reminds me so much of a young Nani so hope he develops into a similar player (the 2010-2011 version).
We didn't give them the clear chances they gave us. Yes they had more half chances but the only clear chance they had was a mistake by us.

nickm

This was the validation we needed to show everyone United is back and we mean business. Validation feels soo damn good. Bring on the next one. :drool:
Nobody is going to want to play this bunch of skilful cnuts. Just like the old days.

NewUser777

Thought we got a bit lucky on their cancelled goal. But all in all we deserved to win, I think. We got some grit back in the team. Antony good debutant. Dalot and Mc Tominay good again. Eriksen man of the match for me. Exiting game.

abailey123

Absolutely brilliant. A victory which will go along way to continuing the confidence build.

The back 4 very good, our defensive efforts such as Martinez flinging himself in front of Jesus just before half time aren’t going unnoticed, we’re fighting for each other at the back and Rolls Royce Varane has been outstanding- get him in cotton wool until Palace now.

There’s a reason Casimero isn’t getting starts and that’s the form of McTominay, for me he was head and shoulders man of the match today. He was everywhere on the pitch. Great man management from Ten Hag for keeping the faith and these are the sorts of decisions which players respect and respond to.

Eriksen and Bruno brilliant. Eriksen is clearly ETH’s deep lying playmaker, he’s got touches of Scholes with the way he is passing. Bruno is turning back into that talisman, covered every blade of grass.

Rashford with 2 goals and an assist - my only criticism of Rashford is in the press, he doesn’t show the energy need consistently enough to press. It’s great to see him getting back to his old self in front of goal though.

Antony a great debut; took his goal with confidence, nearly pulled an Audacious chip off and works his backside off defensively.

Also Ronaldo and Fred off the bench made an impact, Ronaldo worked his socks off for 30 minutes, pressed from the front and ETH used Fred brilliantly to press from the 10 position and win interceptions.

Great result - 12/12 after the shambles of Brentford which seems like a long time ago! Dare we believe …..

siw2007

We didn't give them the clear chances they gave us. Yes they had more half chances but the only clear chance they had was a mistake by us.
I can think of Jesus’s headed in the 1st half which forced a world class save, Saka’s shot which was a whisker wide in the 2nd and another header that Jesus had that went over the bar from point blank range, so there’s 3 clear chances they had. It was typical Arsenal in the sense that they might have created a few more if they weren’t so persistent in trying to walk out in.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Nobody is going to want to play this bunch of skilful cnuts. Just like the old days.
Aha and I feel genuine excitement when I think about the next game because I know they'll go out there and play their hearts out. This just goes to show how a change in attitude and the right signings can affect a team's mindset.

captaincantona

Thought we got a bit lucky on their cancelled goal. But all in all we deserved to win, I think. We got some grit back in the team. Antony good debutant. Dalot and Mc Tominay good again. Eriksen man of the match for me. Exiting game.
I feel like I must have been watching a different incident when I hear people arguing that it wasn’t a foul….Odegaard clearly and visibly puts his HANDS on Eriksen and PUSHES him. Not a shoulder, no contact made with the ball…he just shoved him with his hands. That is a direct free kick. There is not even an arguement.

As for Odegaard waffling after the match that it was soft….you reap what you sow. Newcastle acted the bollox which resulted in Liverpool being given an extra 10 minutes to equalise. Jesus acts as though he has been smashed with a baseball bat when we are about to launch and attack off a high press…the ref called it back for a head injury that never was. It’s fuking swings and roundabouts….embarrassing as fuk. But that’s the way football is these days.

kunal18

We need to keep the ball better, especially our wide players need to step up.
When to go long and when to pass in between lines will bring more control to our game.
It would have been even more comfortable as I don't think Arsenal were that great apart from the 10 minutes at the start of the second half.

xmas

Everyone shitting on ETH in matchday thread need to feck off.
We are Manchester United!
Shitting on him for what? For the win? For the smart and timely substitutions?

Some people are never happy, are they?

sparx99

Not getting carried away but we are definitely competitive.

DevilRed

Easy games are done. Including this one at home against the gooners, who were always going to be fragile at the back.

The real test comes against palace away. They've been one of our bogey teams in the last few years. Always difficult to play them.

Lets see if we can win that one, then we will talk about challenging.

Redfrog

Have absolutely no idea how they think that isn’t a foul. Odegaard literally went through the back of him.
It’s just English media bullsh*ts.
On my tv, in France, both of Pires and Nasri said it was a foul. No one even discussed it.

captaincantona

Some appreciation for Fred is warranted also. His energy really lifted what was a lethargic first 20 mins of the second half. It gave the others a second wind. Great to have options in midfield again. Would love to see him and Casemiro in midfield mid week. Eriksen needs a rest.

Lyng

Massive statement. Yes Arsenal dominated at times, but we where clinical. Well deserved victory

RedorDead21

Reminds me of the game where SAF played the twins in midfield in the cup game against Arsenal

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 528 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 2:1 Arsenal
  • 14% Man Utd 2:0 Arsenal