EL W Europa League Semi-Final 1st Leg

Manchester United 6:2 AS Roma

Post-match discussion

Thu, 29 April 2021

Real Name

Well, that was pretty worrisome for a while. Roma are as bad as some have said.

- On the whole Pogba and Bruno did not play very well, however, they were involved beautifully for many goals
- AWB on the rise in attack. Having Shaw and AWB for many seasons to come is exciting
- I still don't understand why not play Pogba on right and Rashford on the left. I would love to hear OGS's reasoning
- Who else noticed that DDG did not come out for a corner that should have been his? Our defense looks so much more comfortable with Henderson. I hope Hendo starts the final.
- Cavani, please stay one more year.
Well a view that Pogba and Bruno didn't play well is.. Interesting.

Gator Nate

The suggestion that we were terrible in the first half is complete and utter bollocks. A narrative reinforced by the result and that alone. The second goal shocked us but we were much the better team.

Second half was, of course, phenomenal.
Agreed. We were definitely the better team in the first half. Just couldn't quite finish anything off.

g11

Our link up plays have been very good lately. Pogba on the wing actually works out so far.

Ivor Ballokov

Pogba, Bruno and Cavani were absolutely sensational, have to give Pogba man of the match though, it felt like he was the one driving the team.

Luke and AWB weren't at there best defensively for me but I think they're both looking positive in attack now, AWB was getting into the box a few times and for me that is something we'll need to see more of to take the next step.

I mentioned this in the matchday thread but Fred got a load of abuse at HT on BT, some of which was fair, but he was much better than McTominay who looked poor on the ball and weak off it.

If Rashford is unfit he needs to have a few weeks on the bench, Mason's form has been strong for a few weeks now, deserves a run ahead of Marcus.

Ref was a weirdo.

Longshanks

We lost our way after going behind for a little while but dominated the game on the whole and thoroughly deserved the win. Pogba, cavani and bruno all excellent, special mentions to the full backs aswell, shaw is having a great season and A.W.B attacking play is coming on in leaps and bounds.

Not sure either of the penalties should be given, but I suppose there's no room for common sense refereeing anymore and by the book they probably are both penalties.

Its definitely noticable that we drop to deep defensively with DDG rather than Hendo in nets aswell.

Ole could be building something special this season, splash some serious money on a top CF and we really could be onto something.

The Viper

Roma's kinda our b*tch. We are to them what Bayern is to Arsenal.

What a brilliant second half. What a brilliant striker Cavani is. Pogba, Bruno, Shaw had a great game and icing on the cake was our star boy scoring the 6th one. Let's batter then at their home as well.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Pogba and Bruno did not play very well? I just don't understand that view.
They were really frustrating in the 1st half and parts of the second. Poor passes, miss controls and bad decisions. Their involvement in the goals were masterful though. After Pogba's yellow I thought he was going to get subbed because he looked frustrated and was on the verge of making another bad tackle. Ole knows better than I.

The game is gone. How is Pogba's handball a penalty and Shaw's vs Leeds not. Just crazy stuff.

Lord Zlatan

not getting much praise but thought Shaw was outstanding second half. drove us forward. Not taking away from Bruno, Pogba or Cavani who if fit will win us that final. Insane centre forward.

croadyman

Great stuff!

Just saw Greenwood is now on 10 goals for the season which isn't too bad considering how he started.

Hopefully he hits the ground running after the Summer.
Outside chance of making the Euros now there is 26 rather than 23?

stu_1992

What a fecking game! That was a wild ride from start to finish and it ended up a fantastic result!

I was a little frustrated at half time, as I'm sure others were, that we hadn't been able to take advantage of our good performance to be leading. It had me worried despite playing well. The Pogba one can happen and is unfortunate, but we shouldn't have conceded the second.

But then on to the second half, just complete and utter domination. Fernandes, Cavani and Pogba were all absolute stars out there today. Some really great football, even in the chances we didn't score. Fernandes' or Cavani's first probably the pick of the night but practically every goal had a special moment in the build up or finish, except the penalty I guess we may have been a little fortunate to get.

Absolutely buzzing after that win!

Old Ma Crow

Sure, that would be a good option, but spending on Haaland won't stop the bad parts of our game. We can attack. A competent defense allows us to play far more expansive football.
It's time to start putting the fear back into teams. Scoring 6 in a semi of any competition is how you do that.
That’s all true, but we don’t have a player that can do what Cavani can do. He makes a difference. Sell the likes of Martial, DDG and Mata and reinforce.

Nick7

The suggestion that we were terrible in the first half is complete and utter bollocks. A narrative reinforced by the result and that alone. The second goal shocked us but we were much the better team.

Second half was, of course, phenomenal.
Yeah, can’t believe people are saying otherwise. We were miles better than them in the first half and should have been out of sight, not behind.

Eric_the_Red99

One thing that was really encouraging from that performance was the quality of passing, both the intricate one-touch triangles, and the quick diagonal balls played in front of players like AWB, Shaw and Greenwood, so they could actually get in behind the Roma defenders and do some damage. Far too often we’re happy to slowly pass the ball in front of a defence in the vain hope that a hole will magically appear somehow.

Foxbatt

This is there level. We let them get into the game. I would say the Cavani penalty was a lucky one to get.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
In fairness to Roma their best player went off injured just before half time, thought Spinazzola was terrific. But also...I don't think that goalkeeper was really injured, I think he was play acting to stop our attack. I bet he'll be taking a mallet to his shoulder tonight to show the manager in the morning after completely ruining their night! :lol:

Brilliant 2nd half performance. Let's not fanny around in future, if we want to win the game let's make sure we get Pogba, Bruno and Cavani on in good time and we'll score goals. They're fantastic players who all can create for each other.

Also really hope Van de Beek gets a start in the return leg, he deserves the opportunity.

Gasolin

Well, that was pretty worrisome for a while. Roma are as bad as some have said.

- On the whole Pogba and Bruno did not play very well, however, they were involved beautifully for many goals
- AWB on the rise in attack. Having Shaw and AWB for many seasons to come is exciting
- I still don't understand why not play Pogba on right and Rashford on the left. I would love to hear OGS's reasoning
- Who else noticed that DDG did not come out for a corner that should have been his? Our defense looks so much more comfortable with Henderson. I hope Hendo starts the final.
- Cavani, please stay one more year.
I think Rashford is carrying the ball more, Pogba has the ability to pass to Shaw and does that more, AWB is less committing forward and more importantly, he may get into the space but doesn't seem to expect the ball as much as Shaw so maybe Rashford challenging the defenders is more suitable, I don't know. Either way, Pogba on the left in a hybrid position is tactical situation that works for us. He does try to be free of marking much more than Rashford, who is more active off the ball normally.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Fantastic result. Hard to argue against that scoreline, although I'm about to (a bit!) Honestly, I maintain that we didn't learn that much about United tonight. The bulk of our team is average but when the better players are on it we can make magic happen. With our front four+Luke Shaw we should, in most matches, be able to overpower our opposition. That's what happened tonight. Twice more in this competition and we can finish the season with some silverware.

Ludens the Red

Great win. First half still pissed me off though. This Roma team are not at the level below us and they’d somehow taken a lead.
Cavani, Pogba and Bruno amazing tonight.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Very impressed with that 2nd half. Our big attacking players showing up together is a sight to behold. Imagine what we could accomplish with a half decent central midfield?

Man of the Match

Edinson Cavani image Edinson Cavani 72% of 334 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 320 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Roma win
  • Draw