EL W Europa League Semi-Final 1st Leg

Manchester United 6:2 AS Roma

Post-match discussion

Thu, 29 April 2021

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Should ask Lazio for Barolo or Barbaresco this time, some Nebbiolo we can lay down & let mature for a decade or so until we see these farmers again.

Theo Cherry

Did you guys see the way La Pioche rode that challenge in the first half a pinged a nice ball out to Rashy?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
First half criticism only. Felt he held on to the ball a tad too long, delaying his passes which slowed the tempo. Brilliant second half though and one of the contenders for MOTM, but Cavani wins that easy for me.

Abraxas

The second half was sensational. The passing was crisp, fast, we looked like scoring everytime we went forward and took most of our chances.

There is a certain naivety to some of our opponents in this competition. Is it simply poor quality or some tactical silliness from these teams? Teams from the lower end of the PL seem to be a lot more switched on to playing against our weaknesses. These teams are giving us free reign across the pitch, you can't do that.

Flying_Heckfish

Lovely stuff. We were clearly the better team throughout, but played within ourselves in the first half. I said at HT we should make the change, Fred for Mason, but we managed to change our attitude and believe in ourselves. Props to Ole for that, must have been a great speech.

Rashford on the right is still a complete waste, though.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Can someone tell me why the consensus is that our own was harsh?

If you swing your right foot at a ball and miss but a defender slides in from behind and takes out your left leg, it's a penalty isn't it?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

If you swing your right foot at a ball and miss but a defender slides in from behind and takes out your left leg, it's a penalty isn't it?
I suppose it was that the ball had gone by then. But it was certainly a trip.

Infra-red

That second half was great. Roma are not a good side and Fonseca will do well to see the season out, but we destroyed them.

Cavani was a class apart - proper centre-forward's display.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Ridiculous pass from Cavani for Greenwood's goal! Must be the assist of the Season.

One of the best second halves. Not only because of the final score but because of the football we played. Was very enjoyable. There was one move that you’d more often associate with City.

lex talionis

Madness, that is, how well we played in the second half. And yes I realize you can't and never will score on every chance, but we really could have gone into double digits on what was a surprisingly pedestrian Roma side. We all knew going into it that they were the inferior club, but I had no idea that they were at the Dan James level.

Okey

Finally, a final for Ole! Good thing it's him in the dugout not me. I would have made changes at half time. Very well done lads. We absolutely need that trophy. I'm still seeing that pass from Cavani in my mind's eye. Pure filth!

Fts 74

I Was annoyed at half time couldn't understand how we were behind.

Second half sensational Pogba Bruno Cavani different class.

At last a final to look forward too, been to long!

spiriticon

Do you think these Roma players will do some muscle conditioning before the next match?

Shocking fitness.

Gasolin

:lol: :lol:
What was that about? Where were those tears when Serie A was dominating, or la Liga with Barcelona and Real? Life goes on, everything is cyclic anyway and if the EPL, and by that, I mean Manchester United, somehow happens to dominate Europe consistently as much as the Spanish two did, then maybe we will open up the conversation but otherwise, it's just another football score.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
That was a fantastic second half, beautiful football and I think what we all like to say. But it doesnt prove anything. We did the same last year and ended up with nothing, this year we have bottled the other competitions again unnecessarily. I enjoyed watching that half of football, but it doesnt mean anything if we go on to play another month of dire football from now. Win the EL, finish second strongly with good performances against Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester in the league, and that looks more like it.

My point was never that this match couldnt get turned around.
Worst. Apology. EVAR!

justsomebloke

What a weird game. We were uncharacteristically untidy defensively, including at times in the second half, but who can complain about a 5-goal second half. Roma were sharp on the counterattack, but god-awful in their own half, with the ball as well as without it. I'm not sure I've seen anyone in the PL deliver a defensive performance as poor as that this season, except maybe Southampton against us. There was just an elementary divide in quality.

justsomebloke

Not when it happens 2 seconds after the ball has passed by the attacker. Don't think that should have been a penalty.

justsomebloke

Lovely stuff. We were clearly the better team throughout, but played within ourselves in the first half. I said at HT we should make the change, Fred for Mason, but we managed to change our attitude and believe in ourselves. Props to Ole for that, must have been a great speech.

Rashford on the right is still a complete waste, though.
My guess would be that the speech was like the one reportedly given at half time against Tottenham: Calm the lads down and tell them to just keep going but keep their composure. Because we were clearly the best team in the first half as well, and not lacking in effort either.

Gorse Hill Red

That 2nd half was something else, probably the best half we have played all season. Pogba was simply unplayable, god help us if he leaves this summer.

MikeeMike

Totally mullered then 2nd half. Actually thought Roma looked knackered.

Pogba did have both arms in the air for their penalty but did deflect onto him so was a tricky call. Perhaps why ref gave us one 2nd half which I thought was strange as Smalling caught him after ball had passed them both. Penalties rarely given for a tackle after ball gone.

All even.

Brilliant energy and constant pressurizing 2nd half.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Thought we were sloppy in the 1st half though that goal was pure filth. Took us quite a long while to get going in the 2nd too, but once we did, the three amigos looked like a destruction was on the cards. Roma unlucky too in missing that GK and that left wing back who was posing problems to us all 1st half.

Great to see Pogba, Bruno and Cavani linking so well together.

Darkhorsez

Not sure if this was picked up - Ole is so classy. In his post match interview he mentioned sympathy for their manager that he had injuries and using subs in first half etc. Really classy IMO.

Stormrage101MUFC

If someone told me after Roma's 2nd goal went in that we'd end up winning this match 6-2, I would have laughed very hard :lol:

Man of the Match

Edinson Cavani image Edinson Cavani 72% of 334 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 320 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Roma win
  • Draw